PDA

View Full Version : Philosophical Football

KantoSooner
5/23/2011, 02:15 PM
Since we don't have actual football things to talk about right now...and won't for a month or so, excepting random terrible news about players, I think it's time to review some of the more philosophical talking points connected to being a Sooner fan.

There are several that spring to mind, but let's start with one that's sure to generate some heat and light: DKR.

Let's see what we do about plumbing the depths of that black hearted sumbitch's character and why he should spend eternity stirring a bucket of boiling feces in Hell.

Daryl Royal: What made him despicable?

Go.

Cornfed
5/23/2011, 02:25 PM
Wearing burnt orange, he takes it off hes good.

DarrellZero
5/23/2011, 02:56 PM
Becoming the head coach of your alma mater's hated, reviled, loathed, despised arch-rival.

You just can't do that.

How would the horns feel about Major Applewhite becoming the head coach at OU?

StoopTroup
5/23/2011, 03:12 PM
Hey...wait a minute...

I tried yesterday...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154645

texaspokieokie
5/23/2011, 03:13 PM
you know DKR is not a bad guy. he quit coaching 35 yrs ago.

if Bud had retired @ the right time, DKR might've coached @ OU.

He is, after all, an Okie.

StoopTroup
5/23/2011, 03:13 PM
Becoming the head coach of your alma mater's hated, reviled, loathed, despised arch-rival.

You just can't do that.

Huh?

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/sonny-melendrez/files/legacy/DRoyal.jpg

I'd feel worse than I already feel about ^.

texaspokieokie
5/23/2011, 03:15 PM

You just can't do that.

who would give a **** about major applesauce ???
you expect Royal should've turned down a job like tx ??

StoopTroup
5/23/2011, 03:17 PM
Since we don't have actual football things to talk about right now...and won't for a month or so, excepting random terrible news about players, I think it's time to review some of the more philosophical talking points connected to being a Sooner fan.

There are several that spring to mind, but let's start with one that's sure to generate some heat and light: DKR.

Let's see what we do about plumbing the depths of that black hearted sumbitch's character and why he should spend eternity stirring a bucket of boiling feces in Hell.

Daryl Royal: What made him despicable?

Go.

Also....I don't think you must have been here when this guy was given Mod Powers. I will say this however....Of all the girls in all the gin joints in the World....She had to come here....:D ;)

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?u=39963

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7snnEVPwstk/TWSCI_aT_aI/AAAAAAAAGXE/rm1gfOjWi_o/s1600/casablanca02.jpg

StoopTroup
5/23/2011, 03:20 PM
you expect Royal should've turned down a job like tx ??

Yes

texaspokieokie
5/23/2011, 03:22 PM
Yes

then he'd have to be the dumbest Okie of all !!!!

KantoSooner
5/23/2011, 04:31 PM
Sorry Stoop, I didn't see your DKR post.

We can expand on the concept, however:

What, in your opinions is the weakest thing about the OSU Cowboys?

MeMyself&Me
5/23/2011, 04:47 PM

That their fans know a hell of a lot more about OU than they do OSU.

Cornfed
5/23/2011, 04:51 PM
Their fight song, it makes me look for the clowns in ring 2 and the lion tamer in ring 3.

KantoSooner
5/23/2011, 04:52 PM
I was personally thinking that the fact that the only guy with balls over there is an 80 year old rich-guy-wanna-be was pretty weak, too.

StoopTroup
5/23/2011, 05:01 PM
Sorry Stoop, I didn't see your DKR post.

We can expand on the concept, however:

defense

KYkYy2uwP-4

#2 Brandon Weeden's arm - he needs work and you can't expect to win the Big XII tossing stuff into the air and having your receiver's pull miracle's out of the sky.

KantoSooner
5/24/2011, 08:02 AM
Who can explain the mystery of Kansas' pathetic performance in football?

Cornfed
5/24/2011, 09:38 AM
defense

#2 Brandon Weeden's arm - he needs work and you can't expect to win the Big XII tossing stuff into the air and having your receiver's pull miracle's out of the sky.

Whats crazy is in that clip you showed how open the OK Lite receivers are.

badger
5/24/2011, 10:23 AM
The weakest thing about OSU is their coaching staff. Their facilities are better than they were 10 years ago. Their recruiting is better than it was 10 years ago. Their fan expectations are higher than they were 10 years ago.

The only consistent thing is an annual disappointment because of poor coaching decisions.

Watching Austin's amazing OSU interception repeatedly during the past few days made me realize something --- OSU should have won that game. They had good players, they stayed with us the entire game and they were at home. It was bad coaching that lost Bedl@m for those poor Pokes.

OSU wasn't prepared to be in a position to win, like they were in the fourth quarter. That's why the Pokes choked like they have so many times against us in the past, that's why they gave up big plays (like Austin's INT, like Kenney's big TD pass, etc. etc.)

Sooner_Tuf
5/24/2011, 10:46 AM
For those of you too young to remember DKR coaching in Austin. He wasn't a despicable character at all at OU. Not even when he first went to Texas. Mostly it was his mouth that made people dislike him. He spent a lot of years trying to convince everyone in Texas he was as good as them. He did that by calling everyone else cockroaches and the like. He was also a pretty hardcore racist as well.

He doesn't get much FaceTime with the press anymore. But when he does he makes sure he slides in he coached the last all white football team in America.

DKR was no Bud Wilkinson, not even close. Bud was smooth an suave. DKR was always nervous and had a scowl like he had a mouth full of bile.

I have some really good pictures of them together. You can see the differences in their personalities even in photos.

DKR was a good Coach but class wasn't something he ever managed to aquire. He is one of those people that will try to make himself look better by speaking poorly of others.

Hes probably a great guy but I wouldn't **** on him if he were on fire.

ashley
5/24/2011, 11:16 AM
For those of you too young to remember DKR coaching in Austin. He wasn't a despicable character at all at OU. Not even when he first went to Texas. Mostly it was his mouth that made people dislike him. He spent a lot of years trying to convince everyone in Texas he was as good as them. He did that by calling everyone else cockroaches and the like. He was also a pretty hardcore racist as well.

He doesn't get much FaceTime with the press anymore. But when he does he makes sure he slides in he coached the last all white football team in America.

DKR was no Bud Wilkinson, not even close. Bud was smooth an suave. DKR was always nervous and had a scowl like he had a mouth full of bile.

I have some really good pictures of them together. You can see the differences in their personalities even in photos.

DKR was a good Coach but class wasn't something he ever managed to aquire. He is one of those people that will try to make himself look better by speaking poorly of others.

Hes probably a great guy but I wouldn't **** on him if he were on fire.

Your post says more about you than about Coach Royal.
You are wrong on many counts.

badger
5/24/2011, 11:53 AM
DKR, a Cliff's Notes history

DKR, aka Darrell Royal, was a good Oklahoman that became an All-American football player at the University of Oklahoma. In retrospect, we probably can attribute the first step down the wrong path to naming his son "Mack."
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bc/Album_Four_225.jpg/220px-Album_Four_225.jpg
(I seriously just looked up DKR's wikipedia page for that picture and that fact)

DKR took the Texas job in 1956 and one season later, our 47-game winning steak ends. Coincidence?
http://members.cox.net/bngolden3/DarrellRoyal.jpg

Texas named its stadium after DKR in 1996, the same year OU hired John "Boo" Blake. More coincidence?

DKR finally acknowledged his Oklahoma roots by being inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame in 2000. I'm sure it's also just coincidental that OU finally, after 15 years, won a football national championship that season.
http://www.gaylynnrobinson.com/rw_media/users/user_files/5705/royal_1ax.jpg

Fin

Mississippi Sooner
5/24/2011, 11:59 AM
What's amazing about DKR to me is that his career record for interceptions still stands at OU.

SteelClip49
5/24/2011, 12:21 PM
I am glad that OU didn't win the 1949 national title despite being undefeated. Had OU won the title, then the story would always be....Hall of Famer Darrell Royal, who coached the Texas Longhorns to 3 national championships, quarterbacked the Oklahoma Sooners to their first collegiate football championship.

That would be really disgusting.

KantoSooner
5/24/2011, 01:44 PM
Can we not share some contempt for Kansas football as well?

Mississippi Sooner
5/24/2011, 01:46 PM

I'm trying really hard. That Rock Chalk chant kinda gets on my nerves sometimes.

badger
5/24/2011, 02:03 PM

Sure, I guess. I mean, like Texas Tech, they fired a Stoops assistant-turned-head-coach, so there's some moderate dislike in there somewhere maybe.

But there's really not much else there, unless your basketball hate carries over into football season.

KU cost us the 1988 national championship... in basketball.

Sorry, not feeling the hate.

KantoSooner
5/24/2011, 02:59 PM
Sigh.

Okay, it's just that for them to be sandwiched between Oklahoma and Nebraska and close to Iowa and Missouri and be populated by cornfed farm boys and to still suck the axe handle so badly in football for something like 130 years running....

Surely there's a cruel jape in there somewhere.

KantoSooner
5/24/2011, 03:00 PM
But, if not, then I guess off we go on our tour to Mizzou.

How on earth can they have such fertile recruiting grounds and fans who want to be 'into' the team and still stink like lizard dung in the sun? I mean, how do they pull that off?

Sooner_Tuf
5/24/2011, 10:26 PM
Your post says more about you than about Coach Royal.
You are wrong on many counts.

Elaborate please. Everything I said was accurate and I was kind about his attitude at Texas.

PLaw
5/24/2011, 11:30 PM
By every account that I have ever heard, Bud Wilkinson was the essence of class. I have never heard a disparging word about Coach Wilkinson from anyone in the media, his coaches, his players, and fans that had the priviledge of observing him during his time at OU.

There are leaders that earn respect and loyalty and then there are leaders that place those demands on their charges . As I understand it, Coach Wilkinson was the former and not the latter. I could never imagine betraying a beloved leader.

In my humble opinion, DKR going to texas was a betrayal for the ages to Coach Wilkinson. DKR can rot at the bottom of hippie hollow for all I care.

All Hail Coach Wilkinson

BOOMER SOONER

AlboSooner
5/24/2011, 11:43 PM
There is a saying: don't be more Catholic than the Pope. Meaning don't act more zealous than somebody who has all the right to be zealous.

DKR is the worst because he acted more Texan than the Texans. Here he is an Okie, a Sooner through and through, bashing and insulting Texas high school players for choosing OU, and telling them they are betraying their state when they choose OU.

hE IS TEH WORST

AlboSooner
5/24/2011, 11:51 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f2/Dkr-wilkinson.jpg

Lucifer and Michael, before Lucifer's fall.

OU_Sooners75
5/25/2011, 01:02 AM
Who can explain the mystery of Kansas' pathetic performance in football?

This has probably already been answered, but I havent read past this ^ post.

There is no mystery in Kansas' pathetic performance in football...they fired the best coach they have ever had at that school. Had Self been mean to his players, and had the year Mangino did, they would have gave him a lifetime contract and made him the highest paid coach in the nation, even if someone else grabbed the title.

OU_Sooners75
5/25/2011, 01:06 AM
But, if not, then I guess off we go on our tour to Mizzou.

How on earth can they have such fertile recruiting grounds and fans who want to be 'into' the team and still stink like lizard dung in the sun? I mean, how do they pull that off?

Never really knew Missouri as a fertile recruiting ground. Sure they have some good talent come out of that state...but no more than Oklahoma per capita.

OU_Sooners75
5/25/2011, 01:10 AM
Elaborate please. Everything I said was accurate and I was kind about his attitude at Texas.

Ashley can't elaborate because he/she has no earthly idea who DKR is.

:pop:

Peach Fuzz
5/25/2011, 05:47 AM
Kansas, Mennonite extremists that talk about basketball during football season. Played ball there when I was a freshman and hated it... the whole football attitude is lacking for I'd say 80% of the people, the 20% are probably OU fans.

texaspokieokie
5/25/2011, 08:00 AM
I am glad that OU didn't win the 1949 national title despite being undefeated. Had OU won the title, then the story would always be....Hall of Famer Darrell Royal, who coached the Texas Longhorns to 3 national championships, quarterbacked the Oklahoma Sooners to their first collegiate football championship.

That would be really disgusting.

now that's kinda silly, i'd really like to have seen OU win it in 49.

texaspokieokie
5/25/2011, 08:19 AM
DKR, a Cliff's Notes history

DKR, aka Darrell Royal, was a good Oklahoman that became an All-American football player at the University of Oklahoma. In retrospect, we probably can attribute the first step down the wrong path to naming his son "Mack."
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bc/Album_Four_225.jpg/220px-Album_Four_225.jpg
(I seriously just looked up DKR's wikipedia page for that picture and that fact)

DKR took the Texas job in 1956 and one season later, our 47-game winning steak ends. Coincidence?
http://members.cox.net/bngolden3/DarrellRoyal.jpg

Texas named its stadium after DKR in 1996, the same year OU hired John "Boo" Blake. More coincidence?

DKR finally acknowledged his Oklahoma roots by being inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame in 2000. I'm sure it's also just coincidental that OU finally, after 15 years, won a football national championship that season.
http://www.gaylynnrobinson.com/rw_media/users/user_files/5705/royal_1ax.jpg

Fin

good post with good fotos.
he was hired in 56, but (not that it matters) 1st season was 57.

your coincidences are cute, but kinda silly.

i still feel that if OU position was open (in 57) he would have taken that job.

you couldn't blame him for taking the tx job, a large & powerful school.
probly (speculation) got a nice salary to do so.

he became bitter & retired when OU beat him 5 times (71-75) plus a tie in 76.
that was the last straw, cause if OU hadn't missed the EP, would (shoulda)
been 6 in a row.

he was used to beating OU, lost in 57 then 66 was only other loss until 71.

i (vaguely) remember him being introduced @ half time of a game in Norman
if my vague memory is correct, he got a rousing ,standing ovation.
(acknowledge that this might be an incorrect memory)

he's just a good old Okie boy, (WWII hero) that drifted too far south.

LET IT GO !!!

he quit coaching 35 yrs ago.

KantoSooner
5/25/2011, 08:46 AM
Never really knew Missouri as a fertile recruiting ground. Sure they have some good talent come out of that state...but no more than Oklahoma per capita.

You don't have to outdo OK to be 'fertile'. My point was that Mizzou has sufficient players to choose from to make up a sustained, powerful program...and yet they don't. It is mysterious to me.

texaspokieokie
5/26/2011, 05:49 PM
You don't have to outdo OK to be 'fertile'. My point was that Mizzou has sufficient players to choose from to make up a sustained, powerful program...and yet they don't. It is mysterious to me.

they have KC & st.l, outta be some good talent in those.