PDA

View Full Version : Our picture

IndySooner
5/23/2011, 12:04 PM
First of all, here are my projections today:

http://www.chasingomaha.com/projectionseoy.html

Truth is, you could throw OU, Arkansas, TCU and Southern Miss in a hat and draw them out. I went with Southern Miss and TCU because I think the committee might want to add some diversity to the hosting pool. You could take Arkansas and Oklahoma for the exact opposite reason. Who knows what the committee will do.

What would be best for us is for TCU to not win their conference tourney, Southern Miss to drop out early, Arkansas to go 2 and BBQ and we make a run in Bricktown.

I have us 4th out of that group right now, but it's by the smallest of margins and certainly we are within my margin of error, so just cross your fingers because I don't like our chances if we go on the road, given the way the season has gone.

rysooner
5/23/2011, 12:38 PM
First of all, here are my projections today:

http://www.chasingomaha.com/projectionseoy.html

Truth is, you could throw OU, Arkansas, TCU and Southern Miss in a hat and draw them out. I went with Southern Miss and TCU because I think the committee might want to add some diversity to the hosting pool. You could take Arkansas and Oklahoma for the exact opposite reason. Who knows what the committee will do.

What would be best for us is for TCU to not win their conference tourney, Southern Miss to drop out early, Arkansas to go 2 and BBQ and we make a run in Bricktown.

I have us 4th out of that group right now, but it's by the smallest of margins and certainly we are within my margin of error, so just cross your fingers because I don't like our chances if we go on the road, given the way the season has gone.

Sunny actually said this morning on KREF that he thought, considering our RPI of 17 and that fact that there were some teams ranked above us with a worse RPI, that we were hosting. He also said he didn't think that conference tourneys had much effect on the committee.

Me, I have no clue, I leave that up to you guys who really follow it closely.

IndySooner
5/23/2011, 12:54 PM
Sunny might be right. He really might. If I were putting the bracket together as to what I thought was right, I would have us hosting. Instead, I tried to guess what the committee would do, which is why I have us on the outside looking in.

I usually agree with Sunny about the conference tournaments, but everything is so equal this year that I think they'll have an effect.

NMSooner'80
5/23/2011, 01:16 PM
TCU's RPI might drop like a rock because of the weakness of the MWC. Only one other team (Utah) is even remotely decent this year. UNLV's good record is a total mirage. And BYU's third-place standing is a total joke, given that they almost got swept by the Lobos.

IndySooner
5/23/2011, 01:19 PM
TCU's RPI might drop like a rock because of the weakness of the MWC. Only one other team (Utah) is even remotely decent this year. UNLV's good record is a total mirage. And BYU's third-place standing is a total joke, given that they almost got swept by the Lobos.

I still think we ABSOLUTELY deserve to host over TCU, but I'm not sure the committee will think the same way. Also, we're rather as high or low as we think we're going to be. For some reason, we seem to be a team that the committee either respects too much or too little. Hell, that said, maybe they'll give us a national seed? lol

Sooner95
5/23/2011, 02:07 PM
I agree with near everything there. To me, it comes down to this. If we win our first 2 games in the Big12 tourney, then we give ourselves a great shot at hosting. If we lose against KSU, and maybe even against the 2nd round opponent, then we are not hosting.

They way this team has been playing, perhaps going on the road would not be such a bad idea.

bcolston15
5/23/2011, 03:34 PM
Something to consider in all this mess is attendance. Arkansas, TCU and Southern Miss make our average attendance look like a family picnic.

In the past haven't we guaranteed a certain dollar figure to the NCAA no matter what the attendance actually was? In other words, we'd lose money to insure that we hosted. I suspect we'll have to do that again.

IndySooner
5/23/2011, 03:52 PM
Something to consider in all this mess is attendance. Arkansas, TCU and Southern Miss make our average attendance look like a family picnic.

In the past haven't we guaranteed a certain dollar figure to the NCAA no matter what the attendance actually was? In other words, we'd lose money to insure that we hosted. I suspect we'll have to do that again.

Anymore, everyone submits essentially the same bid, so the attendance and $$$$$ isn't as big of a deal. That said, I don't like being worse than these teams in any category at this point. It's just too close to give them any reason to give the others a spot.

Just read chat transcripts from two national writers, one that I respect and one that I don't. Both were on the same page with me about our chances, though the one I respect gave us much more of a shot and essentially had TCU, us and Arkansas on the same level. That's exactly what I have. What I don't understand is why they both think that Clemson isn't worthy of hosting. If you line their resume up with ours, they're way ahead. Both have made references to giving much more weight to weekend series, but that's not the way the committee looks at things. They've proven that in the past.