PDA

View Full Version : Monday poll: Best of Austin Box

badger
5/23/2011, 10:07 AM
I have assembled his three top plays as a Sooner based on SS.com (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/box_austin00.html) highlights, photos and videos I could find during the past few days. They are all outstanding moments to remember Austin by as a player, as we join his family and friends mourning Austin the person. The descriptions of the play are from his SS.com profile, but I have added any additional info I could find on each:

2010: "Recovered a fumble vs. Nebraska"

Start watching at 8:00:
RXtIGAZ7R-Q

It was 3rd and 11 at NEB 29 in the third quarter, Nebraska leading 20-17. Austin tackles Helu Jr. for a loss:
http://i52.tinypic.com/348fyuv.png

But Austin doesn't stop there. On the very next play, the OU defense swarms poor Husker QB Taylor Martinez and... Austin comes up with the ball!
http://i51.tinypic.com/20kvp0k.png

I would love to say that with such good field position, OU got a touchdown out of Austin's great sequence of events, but after First-Down-Demarco gets a first down, Jimmy Stevens soon missed a 24-yarder. However, there's a happy ending:
http://i52.tinypic.com/nnkwo9.png

2010: "second career interception came at Oklahoma State"

Start viewing at 1:38:
dQgScg8dGCU

OU was holding onto a little lead in the fourth quarter with the Big 12 South and a berth to the Big 12 championship game on the line, up 30-24. OSU has the ball, 1st and 10 on their own 25. Hammer batted the ball! It's in the air! Did he Austin catch it?
http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1422187/gallery_photo
Interception, Austin Box at the OSU 18 yard line!
http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/1280104/medium.jpg
Instant replay shows him holding the ball in one arm, making every effort possible to keep that arm and the ball from touching the ground. The interception is upheld.

On the next offensive possession, OU would get a 26-yard field goal (Jimmy Stevens) to increase our lead to 33-24. In a game where every point counted, Box ensured that OSU wouldn't be taking a fourth quarter lead by stopping this important OSU drive.

2008: "made a diving interception against Texas A&M"

What a way to arrive at College Station in your first year playing at OU (he redshirted 2007):
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2011/20110520_ouboxD0520.jpg

It was the third quarter and OU is up by a comfortable 52-21 lead. Texas A&M is trying to do something right, trying to make something happen, and it's 2nd and 9 at the A&M 28. Instead, this happens:

Start at 4:55:
fRu1ZXvmkLk
Redshirt freshman Austin Box makes an epic diving interception. The video is grainy, but combined with the photo, it very much appears that he stole that one :D

On the next offensive possession, after a no-gain rush, Sam Bradford connects with Iggy for a TD pass from the yardline Austin intercepted the ball. OU would go on to win 66-21, possibly the largest College Station victory in the Stoops era.

Three days of voting. Anonymous voting, please just choose one, but you can write-in anything you want. Continued thoughts and prayers with his family and friends and thank you for sharing Austin with Sooner Nation for these wonderful memories.

BigJerm7
5/23/2011, 10:09 AM
I'll always remember the INT against OSU.

Mississippi Sooner
5/23/2011, 10:15 AM
INT vs the pokes for me. Even if he didn't get a Big XII south co-championship ring for it.

Sooners78
5/23/2011, 10:29 AM
My favorite was when he stopped the Baylor RB for no gain on a 4th and 1 early in the 2010 game. It was the play that sparked the Sooner rout in Waco. After that play, he excitedly walked down the sideline as teammates congratulated him. His aggressive attitude is what I will remember and miss the most. He loved the Sooners and always played with pride.

deweydw
5/23/2011, 11:00 AM
All of the above.

picasso
5/23/2011, 11:16 AM
His 4th down tackle against UConn?

How about his knee shot on Taylor Weeden in Stilly last year? The pass was picked and Taylor limped off the field looking at the sideline for comfort.

Box's best was quarterbacking his high school team to the state finals.

JLEW1818
5/23/2011, 11:20 AM
i picked 2008 since i was there, and remember it.

badger
5/23/2011, 11:34 AM
His 4th down tackle against UConn?

How about his knee shot on Taylor Weeden in Stilly last year? The pass was picked and Taylor limped off the field looking at the sideline for comfort.

If I had more time to think about it, I probably would have included a lot more options, complete with photos and videos. This is what I could assemble in a few days, thus I hope there's a lot of write-ins because really, I'd rather be reminded of all of Austin's great plays than the normal well-mannered debate that these polls sometimes bring.

All of the above.

I was very tempted to allow multiple-choice voting, but I would rather encourage people to try to think of even better Box memories and share em here. So... you can write-in "all of the above" if you want :)

i picked 2008 since i was there, and remember it.
The video really doesn't do that play justice. The photo does though, so that's why I put that first. Really shows the effort he put in picking off that ball. We really made A&M look bad that day.

picasso
5/23/2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah I was just adding.

Perhaps Austin's best on the field quality is that he seemed to really pizz off oSu fans.

That's a talent we can all appreciate.

badger
5/23/2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah I was just adding.

Perhaps Austin's best on the field quality is that he seemed to really pizz off oSu fans.

That's a talent we can all appreciate.

They deserve it for ending his season a few years ago.

And those pics from after the INT are him pointing at OU fans, not taunting any players or OSU fans. He's just acknowledging the poor Sooners that had to endure Stillwater and a back-and-forth game and bright orange :D

jk the sooner fan
5/23/2011, 12:31 PM
he had a big stop against Baylor as well - i realize its only Baylor but it was still a great tackle for a loss

badger
5/23/2011, 12:38 PM
I am probably the least qualified person here to do these polls.

Me trying to remember Baylor play: Um... well, I know we won the game! I mean, we've never lost to Baylor, right?!

All you guys: The defense was lined up in the 4-3 with Baylor have four wide and Robert Griffin the Third under center...

If Austin didn't play football, I'd imagine that he'd be a hardcore OU football fan just like all of you, with rock solid memories of everything Sooner football, surrounded by women that are proud they can come up with lines like "Ooo, he has wild, long hair like Dusty Dvoracek!" ;)

goingoneight
5/23/2011, 12:42 PM
hey, now... don't dog Baylor. i mean, at least they didn't go like 5-7 or anything like that. :D

Cornfed
5/23/2011, 01:17 PM
The OSU one was certainly memorable, but I feel the Big 12 Cmp one was more important, the more we kept the ball out of their hands the better in that game, one less chance for something to happen.

SoonerofAlabama
5/23/2011, 03:31 PM
I voted for his pick against Oklahoma State.

rock on sooner
5/23/2011, 04:04 PM
The only thing better than doing Okie St would be doing the Whorns twice!

Mad Dog Madsen
5/23/2011, 04:46 PM

^^^THIS. I had the privilege of watching him play against Jenks. QB/Safety/LB and even played some baseball and b-ball. He could do it all. He was one hell of an athlete. I'm gonna miss him... R.I.P. Austin Box. :(

goingoneight
5/23/2011, 06:57 PM
I remember him arriving early in 2007 and people were asking him if he was going to get in on the quarterback competition. He said "nah... I think we've got our guy." :D

kinda neat remembering things like that now.

soonerprices
5/23/2011, 08:59 PM
Those were fun to watch.

badger
5/24/2011, 08:26 AM
I remember him arriving early in 2007 and people were asking him if he was going to get in on the quarterback competition. He said "nah... I think we've got our guy." :D

A huge QB that you couldn't bring down... Austin would be a better version of Tim Tebow... one that had a pro future beyond the fired coach that draft him's tenure :D

PS: Two days of votin' left :)