PDA

View Full Version : The Wheat Beer

delhalew
5/23/2011, 07:57 AM
http://beeradvocate.com/articles/351

OUDoc
5/23/2011, 08:22 AM
I get the impression wheat beers aren't considered "manly" but I think they're really good, especially in the summer. I've got a 7% ABV wheat in the secondary right now. I'll probably bottle it next weekend.

Jammin'
5/23/2011, 08:28 AM
Some that I like: (Note: these are considered my lawnmowing beers)

Sunshine Wheat from New Belgium
Sunset Wheat from Leiny (I know, I know, but I still like it)
Texas Wheat from St. Arnold (actually like their "Lawnmower" but it's not a wheat)
Sch"Wheat from Sweetwater
Anchor Summer Beer from Anchor

royalfan5
5/23/2011, 08:43 AM
I drink a lot of the Boulevard, though a lot of that is because they are big Royals sponsors. I think the Leienkugel tastes like Lucky Charms which I like. The New Belgium Mothership Wit is pretty good too. Also, when I was little I loved that Dakota wheat beer commerical with the Custom Combining Crew.

MeMyself&Me
5/23/2011, 08:55 AM
I'm not that big on wheat beers. I do like the Bavarian weizen beers but almost all the wheat beers that are common here are American weizen or Belgian wits. I make a Bavarian weizen once a year as one of my summer beers. Made it a bit too early this year though. Already on the last 1/4 of that batch (my wife loves it and anything I have that she likes goes pretty fast).

Also, I should add that I've yet to have an import weizen that tasted anywhere near as good as a half-assed homebrew attempt. They always seem stale.

royalfan5 mentioned Boulevard. Man, I've forgotten about them. Don't see their beers down here at all but when I lived in OK, I bought their Pale Ale and Porter frequently. Good beers.

mgsooner
5/23/2011, 08:57 AM
I drink a lot of the Boulevard, though a lot of that is because they are big Royals sponsors. I think the Leienkugel tastes like Lucky Charms which I like. The New Belgium Mothership Wit is pretty good too. Also, when I was little I loved that Dakota wheat beer commerical with the Custom Combining Crew.

Boulevard is okay. That's about all I can say for it. That sweet sh*t I absolutely loathe.

jumperstop
5/23/2011, 09:02 AM
I love a good boulevard. It's on tap everywhere in ok, hate when they've never even heard of it when I travel.

MeMyself&Me
5/23/2011, 09:08 AM
Just to be clear, I was talking about liking Boulevard's Pale Ale and Porter. Their wheat is more common on tap and, like most American wheats, I'm not a fan.

OhU1
5/23/2011, 09:16 AM
Conventional wheat beer is like a cold shower on my desire to drink beer. It's just not my style.

A had a dunkle Franzikaner Saturday and it is decent.

Saison "farmhouse ale" has some wheat in it and I had a Great Divide Saison "Colette" Farmhouse Ale Saturday that I really liked.

Seadog Blueberry out of Maine was surprisingly good and it is wheat based. I'm not big on fruit beers but this one smelled like a blueberry pop tart and was very refreshing.

Partial Qualifier
5/23/2011, 09:19 AM
I get the impression wheat beers aren't considered "manly" but I think they're really good, especially in the summer. I've got a 7% ABV wheat in the secondary right now. I'll probably bottle it next weekend.

Sounds good. What time Saturday should I come over?

delhalew
5/23/2011, 09:31 AM
I have agree that the German Weiz beers seem to really suffer on the trip across the Atlantic. Maybe, its more about storage in Oklahoma. I like the Belgian Wits.

I thought Boulevard wheat was good for an American Wheat. I've also been drinking a lot of their porter, but the Single-wide IPA was probably the best beer I had from Boulevard.

jk the sooner fan
5/23/2011, 09:34 AM
i like a wheat beer now and then but i have to be in the mood for it - its not something i can drink on a regular basis

MeMyself&Me
5/23/2011, 09:44 AM
...Single-wide IPA was probably the best beer I had from Boulevard.

Oooh, I don't think I've had that one. Must have started making that after I moved down here. I'll have to look for it the next time I travel north of the Red River.

delhalew
5/23/2011, 09:48 AM
Oooh, I don't think I've had that one. Must have started making that after I moved down here. I'll have to look for it the next time I travel north of the Red River.

Yeah, it was kind of a backward assed scenario. They made the Double-wide, and it did very well. They then toned it down for the Single-wide. As previously discussed, that style is more to my liking.

JohnnyMack
5/23/2011, 09:51 AM
http://greatbrewers.com/sites/default/files/images/Sierra%20Nevada%20Kellerweis_bottle_pint_0.jpg

This stuff is really, really solid.

delhalew
5/23/2011, 09:57 AM
So Friday I drank this Thunderhead Dark Wheat. I went to the Brewery in Kearney Nebraska, so I had it from the tap, not from a can.

It was one of their better beers, despite using corn and wheat. It was unique and very drinkable.
http://beerme.com/graphics/brewery/5/5701/28019.gif
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/461/59294/?ba=zdk9

OUDoc
5/23/2011, 01:22 PM
Sounds good. What time Saturday should I come over?

It'll take 3+ weeks to carbonate so take your time. ;)

royalfan5
5/23/2011, 01:39 PM
So Friday I drank this Thunderhead Dark Wheat. I went to the Brewery in Kearney Nebraska, so I had it from the tap, not from a can.

It was one of their better beers, despite using corn and wheat. It was unique and very drinkable.
http://beerme.com/graphics/brewery/5/5701/28019.gif
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/461/59294/?ba=zdk9

If you are buying beer from Nebraska, you should try Hoppaluia from Spilker Ales in Courtland. Quality stuff. Also, if you are in town, my cousin's husband would smith you a gun while you drink.

delhalew
5/23/2011, 01:56 PM
If you are buying beer from Nebraska, you should try Hoppaluia from Spilker Ales in Courtland. Quality stuff. Also, if you are in town, my cousin's husband would smith you a gun while you drink.

One stop shopping.:D

I just got lucky and found Thunderhead right about the time I was looking to stop.

royalfan5
5/23/2011, 02:36 PM
One stop shopping.:D

I just got lucky and found Thunderhead right about the time I was looking to stop.

You'd have to walk a block to the gun shop, but they have no law enforment in Courtland so it doesn't matter. I know a lot of people like Thunderhead, I just don't get out to Kearney that often.

mgsooner
6/22/2011, 10:57 PM
Had a couple of these bad boys on father's day and absolutely enjoyed it.

http://beer-taster.com/wp-content/uploads/yapb_cache/samuel_adams_coastal_wheat.ec4wqkvz774sg888wo80gcg s8.6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48w.th.jpeg

delhalew
6/23/2011, 12:14 AM
I saw those in my local store. May have to give it a shot.

Boomer.....
6/23/2011, 07:16 AM
I actually have a 6-pack of them in my fridge. Good stuff!

delhalew
7/9/2011, 04:47 PM
Tallgrass Halycon from Manhattan Ks. Not bad. It's as good a wheat beer as 'Merica has to offer.

silverwheels
7/9/2011, 05:12 PM
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is the king.

GottaHavePride
7/10/2011, 08:52 AM
I just bottled an Oktoberfest yesterday - it's going in the basement until October rolls around. Going to make a honey wheat next.