PDA

View Full Version : Tornado hits Joplin, Missouri

FirstAndGoalOU
5/22/2011, 08:30 PM
The tornado struck at about 5:45 p.m., according to reports transmitted to the Springfield branch of the National Weather Service. St. John's Regional Medical Center in Joplin has been severely damaged, authorities say, and scanner traffic indicates emergency responders from surrounding communities are converging on the city to assist with victims.

"This is really bad," one Joplin resident relayed to a family member in Andover via text message.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/22/2894308/tornado-strikes-joplin-mo.html#ixzz1N8QXuckZ

...http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/26205070/Tornado-hits-Joplin-Missouri.aspx

scanners..http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=2798

Lc9VoxDTpoY
FtXPPWiTatI

Acadamy..https://ozarksfirst.com/images/Multi_Media/ozarksfirst/nxd_media/img/jpg/2011_05/46372fa0-6dd0-b014-9500-d6ac670ad2d8/raw.jpg

Walmart..http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/304512273.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1306118288&Signature=Oce%2BUUHAuZA6qhgIjV7UXKN2%2BRA%3D

Joplin High School ..http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/304541859.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1306117304&Signature=GyDqk4K1NqiUbXq7yh6XUk5w4VU%3D

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 08:33 PM
I forgot...he's in Texas now...n/m

yankee
5/22/2011, 08:45 PM
Trying to contact my friend who lives there. Prayers please.

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 08:52 PM
I am serious about the prayers for the nader victims. Folks right now have it bad enough and between the floods and the Naders this year....it's been rough for folks who have suffered massive losses....

BudSooner
5/22/2011, 08:57 PM
Damn it looks like very little was left untouched in Joplin, much in the same way Moore and the Alabama towns from weeks ago.

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 09:06 PM
Oh crap....turning to the news right now....

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 09:08 PM
Wow....it looks just like Moore did...

FirstAndGoalOU
5/22/2011, 09:10 PM
Trying to contact my friend who lives there. Prayers please.
Payers sent, I too am trying to get through to a cousin.:(

[ His name is Mike, Mechanical engineer. I feel if any one can survive-Mike can, He is not really a sports guy. Just that one cousin that was always in the garage/shop tearing something apart or rebuilding it. From go carts, mini bikes to model rockets. I'm sure Mike will be OK, no cell communication at this time! ]

Blue
5/22/2011, 09:23 PM
Geez. That looks bad. On CNN now.

SoonerofAlabama
5/22/2011, 09:32 PM
Prayers for them. They were affected by the April 27th tornadoes also.

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 09:33 PM
Wow....Looks like Total devastation. They are just letting stuff burn as Emergency Vehicles seem to be taking care of victims....

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 09:37 PM
24 dead reported far but it's pretty apparent that number is gonna go higher....

soonercruiser
5/22/2011, 09:38 PM
Bad news!
But, where were their weather warnings?
:(

SoonerofAlabama
5/22/2011, 09:41 PM
It has been a very rough week across the South.

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 09:52 PM
Bad news!
But, where were their weather warnings?
:(

The Weather guys are saying it was "Rain Wrapped" and there was very little warning and that folks might have been driving into it thinking "Man...that's some bad rain/hail!" and that the nader was hiding in it. They aren't giving it a rating yet either....probably will by morning....

ouduckhunter
5/22/2011, 09:58 PM
The Weather guys are saying it was "Rain Wrapped" and there was very little warning and that folks might have been driving into it thinking "Man...that's some bad rain/hail!" and that the nader was hiding in it. They aren't giving it a rating yet either....probably will by morning....

That is interesting. I grew up 20 miles from Joplin so I'm glued to the Weather Channel watching their coverage.

olevetonahill
5/22/2011, 10:02 PM
A storm is just s/e of me right now. Prayers for every one affected.

XFollower
5/22/2011, 10:17 PM
Overwhelming. God be with those who are without shelter, and those who have experienced great loss.

XFollower
5/22/2011, 10:27 PM
We have more severe storms forming SW of Tulsa right now. That's the last thing they need moving through Joplin.

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 10:34 PM
Getting hail here in Tulsa now....

FirstAndGoalOU
5/22/2011, 11:11 PM
Getting hail here in Tulsa now....

Its moving thru, http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=INX&lat=36.07128906&lon=-95.90427399&label=Tulsa%2C+OK&type=N0R&zoommode=pan&map.x=400&map.y=240&centerx=400&centery=240&prevzoom=zoom&num=10&delay=15&scale=1&showlabels=1&smooth=0&noclutter=0&showstorms=0&rainsnow=0&lightning=0

yankee
5/22/2011, 11:13 PM
He, his family and his house are OK, thank God. Thanks for the prayers. That city still need 'em. I can't believe the destruction. That might be F5 material.

FirstAndGoalOU
5/22/2011, 11:16 PM
He, his family and his house are OK, thank God. Thanks for the prayers. That city still need 'em. I can't believe the destruction. That might be F5 material.
How did you get thru, my cell communication is still down?

yankee
5/22/2011, 11:23 PM
How did you get thru, my cell communication is still down?

Got a text, and then he posted on his Facebook ha. I honestly don't know how, considering he's in Joplin right now and I assume there's no power.

FirstAndGoalOU
5/22/2011, 11:26 PM
Got a text, and then he posted on his Facebook ha. I honestly don't know how, considering he's in Joplin right now and I assume there's no power.

Thank God he and his family are safe.

StoopTroup
5/23/2011, 12:44 AM

Good to hear. SF prayers do work.

sooner59
5/23/2011, 12:58 AM
First person video from a gas station that got hit by the tornado in Joplin.

Folks, this is intense. If this doesn't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, nothing will. Thank God these people made it through ok. Absolutely chilling audio after the video goes dark.

cQnvxJZucds

yankee
5/23/2011, 01:10 AM
Incredible. So that's what a tornado sounds like when it's right on top of you. Wowzers.

yankee
5/23/2011, 02:01 AM
http://occip.it/pt51c7s3

That's a 360 degree view of the damage from ground level. I can't even imagine what it looks like from the air. I'm sure those images will be popping up in the next day or so. To get a scope of the damage...look at the hospital (the large white structure) and then turn the camera around 180 degrees. And you can see splintered trees for probably another 100-200+ yards away. That's the width of the tornado, at least. And then look 90 degrees from the hospital and you can just see the obliterated homes in the distance. This thing mustve been 3/4 mile wide. Maybe larger. I can't even wrap my head around that.

Sooner_Tuf
5/23/2011, 02:15 AM
Prayers for Joplin. Terrible year for Tornadoes.

mgsooner
5/23/2011, 09:16 AM
Maybe the people that always say "OMG I love this weather!!!" should watch that video above and decide how much they'd love it if they were the ones trapped in a gas station praying for their lives.

jumperstop
5/23/2011, 09:18 AM
Prayers for Joplin. Terrible year for Tornadoes.

Well technically it's been a good year for tornados, bad year for those being hit by them.

jumperstop
5/23/2011, 09:19 AM
Maybe the people that always say "OMG I love this weather!!!" should watch that video above and decide how much they'd love it if they were the ones trapped in a gas station praying for their lives.

Yeah I didn't enjoy that video...

3rdgensooner
5/23/2011, 10:03 AM
The OUI refugees may remember a poster named "Lexusooner". He lost his house yesterday. He and his son took shelter in their bathroom and made it through okay.

mgsooner
5/23/2011, 10:09 AM
Terrible news.

soonerchk
5/23/2011, 10:32 AM
First & Goal - hope you got thru, if you haven't try FB. No cell calls working, but texting and FB are still working.

Don't ask me how, I'm just told that by people in that area.

WichitaSooner
5/23/2011, 10:35 AM
The OUI refugees may remember a poster named "Lexusooner". He lost his house yesterday. He and his son took shelter in their bathroom and made it through okay.

Aw ****... :( Glad to hear they made it out okay...

3rdgensooner
5/23/2011, 10:36 AM
You can grab him off my FB if you would like to touch base with him.

soonerchk
5/23/2011, 10:38 AM

He posted some pics of his house, and after seeing them, I'm shocked they survived.

StoopTroup
5/23/2011, 10:44 AM
Hopefully the death count doesn't rise....

Prayers for everyone affected and prayers for those who are able to help

Jammin'
5/23/2011, 10:48 AM
He posted some pics of his house, and after seeing them, I'm shocked they survived.

Damn, glad they are okay.

soonersweetie
5/23/2011, 11:31 AM
According to radar, looks like Joplin is getting hammered again with storms. Those people so don't need that.

My prayers go out to them.

Cheez-It
5/23/2011, 11:38 AM
I read on FacePlace that the maternity ward of St. Johns is gone. CAN NOT even imagine. Prayers from the Tulsa metro area!!

ouwasp
5/23/2011, 06:10 PM
We go up to Joplin and shop several times a year. Really enjoy going to Connies. I'm sure the next time we go up there it will seem surreal. Wonder if the Red, Hot, and Blue restaurant was hit? The employees that work there do a first-rate job...

116 dead. How awful. :(

FirstAndGoalOU
5/23/2011, 06:25 PM
First & Goal - hope you got thru, if you haven't try FB. No cell calls working, but texting and FB are still working.

Don't ask me how, I'm just told that by people in that area.

Chk, thank you for you response, he made it! In hospital outside of Joplin, Aunt is e-mailing all of us, Again Thank you for your kindness.

OU-HSV
5/23/2011, 11:17 PM
This truly is awful. I cannot imagine what they're all dealing with up in Joplin. The photos, videos, stories, etc. that I've seen and heard are just eye popping and mind boggling. The ways some of these people survived are awesome.
But geeze I hope they start pulling out more survivors soon.

SoonerNate
5/24/2011, 12:08 AM
Everybody should say a prayer for those folks tonight. That could have just as easily been OKC, Tulsa, or anywhere else Sunday night.

MsProudSooner
5/24/2011, 07:40 AM
According to the forecast, it could be our turn in the barrel this afternoon and evening.

ouwasp
5/24/2011, 08:33 AM

Jammin'
5/24/2011, 08:58 AM
Everybody should say a prayer for those folks tonight. That could have just as easily been OKC, Tulsa, or anywhere else Sunday night.

Not really "anywhere else" but I get your point. Hope we don't die today.

SoCaliSooner
5/24/2011, 09:15 AM
Not really "anywhere else" but I get your point. Hope we don't die today.

I'll be watching my TV today....hoping you don't die today.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_leoyc2dGps1qf9hygo1_500.gif

I make no guarantees for you for any other days.

Jammin'
5/24/2011, 09:20 AM
I'll be watching my TV today....hoping you don't die today.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_leoyc2dGps1qf9hygo1_500.gif

I make no guarantees for you for any other days.

Pray for us you *******.

The Maestro
5/24/2011, 11:17 AM
I spent Sunday in Shawnee with my parents and some other family...and I could see crazy storms all south and east of us. If clouds like that showed up in Phoenix folks would believe the rapture was upon us. I know the bad stuff is coming back there today, too.

I watched and listened to the video from the store in Joplin...disturbing to say the least. Honestly, things like tornadoes, tsunamis, etc., are what led me to start to question the faith I was raised in from day one. And in that video you can hear a lady yelling, "Heavenly Father! Jesus!" Chilling. But that's the question...folks are always praying for protection from weather.

Isn't the God you are praying to also the God that created this weather, allowed this weather, and knows this weather is coming at you like a freight train on crack? I'll leave it at that...I just find it hard to believe a loving God would do that to innocent people. Lives shattered because of freaking weather!!!! I know I will get the cookie cutter responses I have heard a lot, but I hate the destruction it causes to good people. And glad the only weather issue I deal with in Phoenix can be fixed by an air conditioner.

Prodigal
5/24/2011, 12:06 PM
I'll try not to say the cookie-cutter things because i am often irritated by some beliefs also, but the truth is that none of us are good. We all have made the choice that separates us from God and we therefore all live subject to nature. Sometimes God intervenes in spite of our sin if we ask of him from a pure heart.

Jammin'
5/24/2011, 12:44 PM
I'll try not to say the cookie-cutter things because i am often irritated by some beliefs also, but the truth is that none of us are good. We all have made the choice that separates us from God and we therefore all live subject to nature. Sometimes God intervenes in spite of our sin if we ask of him from a pure heart.

That's more like "your truth".

No offense.

The Maestro
5/24/2011, 01:22 PM
Sometimes God intervenes in spite of our sin if we ask of him from a pure heart.

Oh. And other times he is just fine with little kids being killed in tornadoes he has the power to stop. He sounds like a jerk to me.

If you or your family are ever in danger and I have the power to control it or stop it, I promise that I will let you know so you can avoid the disaster...and I don't even know you.

God's power + your sin = tornadoes. Got it.

Phoenix/Scottsdale has a lot more titty bars, they sell alcohol of all kinds in every grocery store and Jenna Jameson resides here. Seems like we are due more deadly weather than the Bible belt yet never get any. Hmmm.....good luck with those prayers today when the twisters arrive.