PDA

View Full Version : Remember the good old days

picasso
5/22/2011, 07:49 PM
When we'd get a station warning only when severe weather was close?

Or a ticker at the bottom?

Dorks.

Flagstaffsooner
5/22/2011, 07:51 PM
Lola Hall?

Turd_Ferguson
5/22/2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah, nothing like Gary giving us OKC residence an update on storms up around Miamuh...

lexsooner
5/22/2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I remember when color radar was such a big deal and they did not try and scare the crap out of you when a thunderstorm broke out 300 miles away. Everything is about getting viewers' attention, which means higher ratings and more money for the station. It's all about this and nothing else.

Penguin
5/22/2011, 07:59 PM
How's the weather in Gotebo?

picasso
5/22/2011, 08:12 PM
Apparently the schit is getting ready to hit the fan in Scraper.

MeMyself&Me
5/22/2011, 09:40 PM
You think you got it bad in OK? The armatures here in Abilene regularly brake into scheduled programing to tell about things that can wait... and I mean wait for the news at 10. I have the local stations number saved on my cell phone and call and complain regularly.

The worst one was when they had to break in and tell us about a country road closer from a fire about a year ago. They had a ticker for an hour at the bottom of the screen saying such. Then they decided to break into a the season ending of a prime time show to tell us about it. We missed the last ten minutes of the show to learn what we already knew an hour ago.

I always tell them how 'small town' they're being and tell them how much more professional it's done in OKC and Dallas. They don't seem to care.

soonercruiser
5/22/2011, 09:56 PM
I'll bet the folks in Joplin would like a little more coverage on their stations!
(Probably will get some now; after the deaths.) :(

That's why I've got cable TV - so you can watch the history channel, speed, syfy, etc......then switch back to the local weather occassionally.

TitoMorelli
5/22/2011, 10:05 PM
How's the weather in Gotebo?

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ok/gotebo/73041/forecast-current-conditions.asp

MeMyself&Me
5/22/2011, 10:09 PM
I'll bet the folks in Joplin would like a little more coverage on their stations!
(Probably will get some now; after the deaths.) :(

That's why I've got cable TV - so you can watch the history channel, speed, syfy, etc......then switch back to the local weather occassionally.

I have no problem when there is a true need to break in. The example I gave was nothing like a tornado hitting a town... it was a road closure that was already given via ticker for an hour. Also, one of the problems with breaking into a network broadcast is that the program is not reshown at a later time like on many shows on cable channels.

One of our local channels has gotten better I have to admit though. I've noticed lately that they wait until the commercial break to cut in when it makes sense. I have no problem with that. If it's important enough to them to break in when it will cost them for doing so then it must be important.