PDA

View Full Version : Angola Prison Flood

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 03:15 PM
Evidently they are thinking they are gonna have to move everyone....

http://www.sprol.com/images/angolala4.jpg

http://media.nola.com/environment/photo/9576939-large.jpg

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 03:17 PM
Mississippi Flood Threatens Angola Prison

Nestled in a hairpin turn of the Mississippi River, the 18,000 acre Louisiana State Penitentiary (LSP) is surrounded by water on three sides. The prison, known as Angola to criminals nationwide, is the largest maximum security prison in the United States, with 5,000 inmates and 1,800 staff. It sits on the east bank of the river upstream from the Morganza Spillway.

Pam LaBorde, communications director for the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections, was able to provide information about the prison's response to the record flooding on the Mississippi River.

The river is expected to crest at 64.5 feet May 22. She reports that the 12 miles of levees that encircle the prison are between 68 and 73 feet in height. The river is not expected to overtop the levees.

Sand boils represent a different threat. They weaken the levee and create a spot where the river could breech the flood protection. The National Guard has located at least 100 sand boils in levees in northern Louisiana, according to the Defense Imagery & Video Distribution System, and the numbers are expected to grow as the flood crest moves south.

Corrections staff are patrolling the levees around the Angola prison complex 24/7 by boat and ATV, and aerial inspection is taking place every few days. No offender housing areas are in danger at this time, according to LaBorde.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110517/us_ac/8486005_mississippi_flood_threatens_angola_prison_ 1

royalfan5
5/22/2011, 03:19 PM
I hope they don't have to cancel the rodeo because this.

BudSooner
5/22/2011, 03:22 PM
****, my brother inlaws sis works there. I'm sure she has since moved on after Katrina wiped her house off the foundation but, that is the toughest bunch of people I know..nothing gets them down.

She was in a room at that place above doing counseling on a prisoner who is doing 10 life sentences for multiple murders, his mother passed away and Richards sis was in there talking to him when he stands up and hugs her....guy looked like John Coffee(to me it's spelled the same, lol)in the Green Mile.

Man there is no way I would work in a place like that, come to think of it Coach Criddle from Rogers was a guard at Big Mac.

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 03:27 PM
A guy I worked with over 20 years ago had his son in there doing Life with no parole. He was 19 when he when in. I have no idea if he's still in there or alive. He made a bad decision and took a gun to track down a guy who stole one of his Dad's guns and they shot at each other. Gary killed the guy. Louisiana called it premeditated Murder and he got hammered and put away forever.

I still think about Gary from time to time but I have never been down there to see him.