PDA

View Full Version : Gerald McCoy's Speech to Students

SoonerofAlabama
5/21/2011, 01:47 PM
Video on there: http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-former-sooner-nfl-star-comes-home-to-give-back-20110520,0,6194565.story

OKLAHOMA CITY -- NFL football player and Sooner legend Gerald McCoy delivered an inspirational message to Oklahoma City students Friday afternoon. McCoy was in town to give to the students, and it was about more than money.

For the students at Southeast High School, it started like any other assembly.

Then McCoy made his surprise sensational entrance, playing snare drum with the Thunder drumline.

He was back at his high school alma matter where he played football and played in the band, to talk a little bit about the rhythm of life.

McCoy says, "Regardless of what you go through, you can make it."

His main message was focus, not fear.

He says that, and hard work, will bring big results.

Then things got even more serious.

As McCoy spoke about the death of his teammate from OU, Austin Box, he asked the kids to always make good decisions.

McCoy says, "It's dear to my heart and it hurts to talk about. He doesn't get to make any more choices. You never know what's going to happen or when it's going to happen so you need to take advantage of all your opportunities while you've got them."

Getting things back into a spirited mood, McCoy took advantage of his opportunities and donated four bass drums to the school.

He also donated band uniforms which is big deal since the band hasn't had new ones since the '60s.

He says, "With the band being one of my passions, I decided to kick in a little bit."

McCoy says this is just the beginning.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneer's appearance proving the only one who can hold you back, is yourself.

He says, "Look I'm here. I'm here and I did it, so you guys can too."

McCoy and the Foundation for Oklahoma City Public Schools plan to expand the donations and give to each Oklahoma City high school in the future.

Flagstaffsooner
5/21/2011, 02:00 PM
Nice story.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/21/2011, 02:34 PM
Why doesn't Gerald McCoy run for President? That guy is awesome...

Soonerfan88
5/21/2011, 03:40 PM
He's not 35 yet...

Gerald McCoy continues to be a good man. His mother would be so proud of him.

Widescreen
5/21/2011, 03:47 PM
He also donated band uniforms which is big deal since the band hasn't had new ones since the '60s.

That's pitiful. I'm glad he fixed that problem.

SoonerMom2
5/21/2011, 03:54 PM
Gerald McCoy is the best Ambassador OU could have. I have watched him on some of the ESPN programs and he runs circles around the other athletes with his comments. He has such a great sense of humor that the segments I was watching had Dilfer and the others laughing. Gerald McCoy is a class act who is giving back to where he got his start. Love it that he came marching in with the drums! The one thing he never forgets is that he is a Sooner and from Oklahoma City. Makes you feel really good when you watch him and listen to his words. The word Character comes out loud and clear.

ouduckhunter
5/21/2011, 03:59 PM
Very cool!! Gerald is such an awesome human being, and I'm so glad that he's a Sooner too. Hope that somebody got him on tape marching in with the band! That must have been fun to see.

aegsm76
5/21/2011, 07:03 PM
Not that it makes it any better, but the band did get new uniforms in the early 80's, when I was there.
We had very active sports and band booster clubs, then.

MichiganSooner
5/22/2011, 12:33 PM
This is a great story.

King Barry's Back
5/24/2011, 09:46 PM
Not that it makes it any better, but the band did get new uniforms in the early 80's, when I was there.
We had very active sports and band booster clubs, then.

I was going to call BS on that "no new unis since the 60s." Clothes heavily used and abused like band uniforms aren't going to last 50 years. They would have had to have bought used, or something.