PDA

View Full Version : City of Pawnee don't need no stinkin' laws!

soonerchk
5/20/2011, 02:55 PM
Yes, this is an excellent way to get the entire nation to quit laughing at you. Swear that felon in, who cares if it's legal?

PAWNEE - The saga of Chris Linder's controversial bid to be Pawnee's mayor isn't over.

Linder won the April 5 election but was delayed in taking office after questions were raised about his qualifications because of a felony conviction in Arizona.

He's vowing to fight for the office, even if he has to take the battle to court.

On Tuesday, Linder, 33, was resigned that he would have to give up his quest for the mayor's post the next day, which was the deadline for proving his qualifications. But acting on the advice of his attorney, he opted to be sworn into office Wednesday, setting the stage for a challenge.

Linder said he is not performing the mayor's duties and will wait for the outcome of a Monday special City Council meeting, which includes an item for discussing his qualifications.

He said he might go to court for a ruling.

In the meantime, Linder will hold the mayor's title only. City Council President Brad Sewell will perform the duties of mayor in the interim.

The controversy erupted during the campaign after it was discovered that Linder had a 2000 felony conviction in Arizona for his role in a drive-by shooting related to a drug deal. He served five years in prison plus three years of probation, which he completed two years ago.

Oklahoma law states that no one with a felony conviction can seek or hold public office until 15 years after the completion of a sentence or until a person receives a pardon.

Linder sought a pardon from the Arizona Clemency Board, but his request was denied May 10.

City Attorney Matt Devlin said councilors will decide whether Linder is qualified to be the mayor. If they decide that he is not, they will declare the office vacant and name Sewell acting mayor until after a special election.

Devlin said a state attorney general's opinion upholds the law.

But Linder said his attorney, Tom Lane of Sapulpa, found several conflicting opinions, meaning the issue might have to be decided by a judge.

Lane would not comment Thursday.

Linder won the election with 253 votes, followed by Alford Majors with 165 votes and incumbent Mayor Tom Briggs with 161 votes.

A native of Jacksonville, Fla., Linder owns the Pawnee Cafe restaurant and is on the executive board of the chamber of commerce.

He moved to Pawnee in July 2009 with his wife, Christine Linder, and their five children. Christine Linder is a Pawnee native, and the two met while stationed with the Army at Fort Huachuca, Ariz.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110520_12_A13_CUTLIN196053

ouleaf
5/20/2011, 03:02 PM
so when reading the title of this thread, I totally thought it was about the show Parks and Recreation....Definitely got pulled offsides on that one.

soonerchk
5/20/2011, 03:14 PM
No it's about Pawnee OK electing a convicted felon who is not eligible to run and then swearing him in anyway.

Not even a clean little white collar crime, but a drug related drive by shooting.

Jammin'
5/20/2011, 03:16 PM
sidenote: I grew up with Matt Devlin. Good guy.

olevetonahill
5/20/2011, 03:22 PM

So you from Az.?
Plus I bet hes glad he dint shoot at a Pharmacist.:eek:

soonerchk
5/20/2011, 03:22 PM

Are you also a convicted felon?:pop:

Jammin'
5/20/2011, 03:24 PM
So you from Az.?
Plus I bet hes glad he dint shoot at a Pharmacist.:eek:

Devlin is the city attorney for Pawnee. He lives in Stillwater now with his wife and kids.

On Edit: did you two even read the damn thread?

3rdgensooner
5/20/2011, 03:25 PM
On Edit: did you two even read the damn thread?Netanyap3wned!

C&CDean
5/20/2011, 03:27 PM
It's ****ing Pawnee. WGAS?

thecynic
5/20/2011, 03:28 PM
Jammin seems to always know someone connected to the story. I think he makes stuff up.

olevetonahill
5/20/2011, 03:29 PM
Devlin is the city attorney for Pawnee. He lives in Stillwater now with his wife and kids.

On Edit: did you two even read the damn thread?

I did the other day, Saw no need to do it again.:P

olevetonahill
5/20/2011, 03:30 PM
Jammin seems to always know someone connected to the story. I think he makes stuff up.

Well you know how them ******* lie.:D

Jammin'
5/20/2011, 03:30 PM

matt once was chased by a herd of cows when he tried to cut through a field on his way home in middle school. He still hates cows. I have his number in my phone if you'd like to call him and verify?

Jammin'
5/20/2011, 03:31 PM
I did the other day, Saw no need to do it again.:P

damn it! Ha.

thecynic
5/20/2011, 03:44 PM
matt once was chased by a herd of cows when he tried to cut through a field on his way home in middle school. He still hates cows. I have his number in my phone if you'd like to call him and verify?

sure, since I don't know you, post the number here and we'll er I'll give him a call.

Jammin'
5/20/2011, 03:49 PM
sure, since I don't know you, post the number here and we'll er I'll give him a call.

ask him about the Ball Boys: 377-7280

thecynic
5/20/2011, 03:58 PM
ask him about the Ball Boys: 377-7280

thanks, calling now.

SoonerHoops
5/20/2011, 04:15 PM
I thought Keiton Page was the mayor of Pawnee?

thecynic
5/20/2011, 04:40 PM
best steaks in the world are in Pawnee.

and jammin no one answered, so I left a flushing toilet as a message

King Fuzzy
5/20/2011, 04:44 PM
#1 or #2? I'm asking for a friend.

thecynic
5/20/2011, 04:45 PM
we live by the motto: if it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down

soonerchk
5/20/2011, 05:31 PM
best steaks in the world are in Pawnee.

and jammin no one answered, so I left a flushing toilet as a message

Not really, but they do have a fine burger and even better blackberry cobbler.

thecynic
5/20/2011, 05:40 PM
Not really, but they do have a fine burger and even better blackberry cobbler.

you not a fan of clicks steaks?

soonerchk
5/20/2011, 05:44 PM
you not a fan of clicks steaks?

Not as much of a fan of their steaks as I am of their bacon cheeseburger.

yermom
5/20/2011, 05:55 PM

aren't they all related? :confused:

picasso
5/20/2011, 06:41 PM
Not as much of a fan of their steaks as I am of their bacon cheeseburger.

Then you just lost some cred.

King Crimson
5/20/2011, 06:51 PM
my grammaw's family is from Pawnee (lived in Perry most of her life though). my great grandad was the town butcher...insofar as they lived "in town".

home of the Dick Tracy museum.

i've been to click's.

Jammin'
5/20/2011, 08:08 PM
aren't they all related? :confused:

yermom uh.

soonerchk
5/22/2011, 11:52 AM
Then you just lost some cred.

Pfft, who knew I had any cred to being with?

picasso
5/22/2011, 08:14 PM
Pfft, who knew I had any cred to being with?

:D

Their steaks are good but I think the salad bar and pie selection are the winners.

And two of the waitresses used to have some major talent.

soonerchk
5/23/2011, 10:33 AM
:D

Their steaks are good but I think the salad bar and pie selection are the winners.

And two of the waitresses used to have some major talent.

Try the blackberry cobbler. Just sayin.