PDA

View Full Version : I Know It Is Early

oudavid1
5/20/2011, 10:03 AM
But I feel this opinion will be more unique now than ever. With the tragic loss of a young man, we also lost a good middle linebacker and teamate. It is safe to say that he will be missed and the season dedicated to him. But I also feel that there is no better player, example, or leader to wear the #12 jersey than the young man who already wears it, Landry Jones. I know some of you feel LJ should change numbers, and I respect that. But I feel that Austin wouldn't want LJ to do anything differently and should not feel pressured to change numbers. Of course this decision is not up to m, but I just wanted to get my opinion out there. I hate posting threads like this. I hate this empty feeling. I've never lost. A teamate like this. I can't imagine what it is like to go through all they go through and have this happen to you.

madillsoonerfan5353
5/20/2011, 10:05 AM
I think that I would like to see Wort wear the #12 on D. That's just me, but that would be awesome IMO!

:gary:

oudavid1
5/20/2011, 10:12 AM
I think that I would like to see Wort wear the #12 on D. That's just me, but that would be awesome IMO!

:gary:

I agree that it would be cool, but I don't want any player to change his number unless it's someone who was really close to him and his family is ok with it.

usaosooner
5/20/2011, 11:56 AM
Landry will wear it proudly

NormanPride
5/20/2011, 12:13 PM
Keep the number, but put Box on the back for home games/a game/something?

I'd get the family's permission first, but that's what I would want to do.

oudavid1
5/20/2011, 12:29 PM
Keep the number, but put Box on the back for home games/a game/something?

I'd get the family's permission first, but that's what I would want to do.

Thats what im thinking too. I think that would be really cool. Im thinking senior day.

setem
5/20/2011, 12:36 PM
Who ever thinks Landry should change numbers is crazy! While I am sad that we lost a very good young man, there is not need to change Landry's legacy at OU. He is #12 on offense! Just like Box was #12 on D. Neither has anything to do with the other.

oudavid1
5/20/2011, 12:41 PM
Well my deal is, if it was some walk-on kicker its a little different. But i think we would all agree that this is Landry's team. So it works out that way.

I mean captains would be
Travis
Landry
Frank
Ryan/James Hanna

SOFSooner
5/20/2011, 01:01 PM
It would be nice if the team designated Austin as one of the team captains for this year's team.

BusterRhymes86
5/20/2011, 01:04 PM
At the first home game, I am sure they will do a tribute video to Austin....thats going to be tough.

Soonerjeepman
5/20/2011, 01:05 PM
I can see the #12 being worn by different members of the D for each game throughout the season...unless there is some stupid ncaa rule about that...

some teams have done that..

Sooner_Tuf
5/20/2011, 01:22 PM
A number by any other number is still a number.

agoo758
5/20/2011, 01:33 PM
A traditional number on the helmet will be fine in my opinion, and Laundry should keep his number.

SoonerofAlabama
5/20/2011, 04:00 PM
Landry should keep his number, he has always been the number 12, even in high school. The team has several options to pay a tribute to Box. I am fine with a different player wearing his jersey, a patch being placed on the team's jerseys, a helmet sticker, or probably anything as long as we make it something special.

MO_Sooner
5/20/2011, 04:29 PM
I can see the #12 being worn by different members of the D for each game throughout the season...unless there is some stupid ncaa rule about that...

some teams have done that..

Missouri did this a year or so ago for a player. I think his name was O'Neil, but not 100% sure. I like this idea.

Rocko
5/20/2011, 04:31 PM
Put his initials, he won't be remembered by his number.

agoo758
5/20/2011, 05:05 PM
Put his initials, he won't be remembered by his number.

That's fine too.

texaspokieokie
5/20/2011, 05:32 PM
you are right David, it's way too early to worry about such trivialities
as numbers.

this will all work out.

Jdog
5/20/2011, 09:03 PM
Who ever thinks Landry should change numbers is crazy! While I am sad that we lost a very good young man, there is not need to change Landry's legacy at OU. He is #12 on offense! Just like Box was #12 on D. Neither has anything to do with the other.

except that they play for the same team.

It would be an interesting statement for Landry to come out with Box on the back of his Jersey during warm ups for one game.

Jdog
5/20/2011, 09:04 PM
Missouri did this a year or so ago for a player. I think his name was O'Neil, but not 100% sure. I like this idea.

It was UCONN and i think they've been doing for a couple of years.

oudavid1
5/20/2011, 09:26 PM
except that they play for the same team.

It would be an interesting statement for Landry to come out with Box on the back of his Jersey during warm ups for one game.

I would think the whole game. I mean, we all know who LJ is. Just my two cents.

SoonerofAlabama
5/20/2011, 09:35 PM
Agree with that. Although Landry should wear his own number, I believe he would give it up in a second if he thought it was what Austin would have wanted.

CrimsonRez
5/20/2011, 11:42 PM
Can you wear someone else's last name on your jersey? It would be cool but I think there might be some dumb rule about that. I say highlight the 12 yard line on each side of the field. Carry his jersey to the coin toss, lay it on the bench, and wear stickers with his initials.

oudavid1
5/21/2011, 12:31 AM
Can you wear someone else's last name on your jersey? It would be cool but I think there might be some dumb rule about that. I say highlight the 12 yard line on each side of the field. Carry his jersey to the coin toss, lay it on the bench, and wear stickers with his initials.

Yes. Taylor Potts (Texas Tech) did it vs OU in 2009. He wore "Nick" on the back of his jersey because that was his nickname/alter ego and Tech thought it was funny. I think LJ would be ok to do that.

JRAM
5/21/2011, 05:03 AM
Lets just let the situation rest for now. The young man just passed away for heavens sake. No need to argue about who wears a number and who shouldn't. Lets just remember the Box family at this time and offer prayers.

texaspokieokie
5/21/2011, 07:37 AM
Lets just let the situation rest for now. The young man just passed away for heavens sake. No need to argue about who wears a number and who shouldn't. Lets just remember the Box family at this time and offer prayers.

This ^^^^^^