What did he say?

usaosooner
5/19/2011, 09:31 PM
we made a simple salute to Austin

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/7221/boxheader.jpg

rip Mr. Box

SoonerBacker
5/19/2011, 09:34 PM
We lost a great one today. It is sad that so many are already focusing on the circumstances instead of just taking time to mourn the loss of a young man who died too soon.

WuDrWu
5/19/2011, 09:36 PM
The doctor's who prescribe these pain pills need to start being held accountable for these events. Pain meds are a slippery slope and I feel should only be used as a last resort. Thoughts go out to Austin's family.

I agree, to a point. OC is POWERFUL and personally I would like to see it used only when directly dispensed by a physician.

But I also believe that sports in general does a DEPLORABLE job of properly caring for those injured while performing. These kids shouldn't receive good care....it ought to be borderline around the clock, do everything medically possible and prudent to return these young men and women to 100% health.

Asking a 22 year to self medicate themselves, when they are in awful pain, and they are used to being king of the world, is a recipe for disaster.

But I digress, and that's not what this thread was to be about.

Thoughts and prayers to all the family and friends of Austin. No parent should have to bury a child. May God bless them all.

SoonerofAlabama
5/19/2011, 09:37 PM
Found the article on Box:

Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables said linebacker Austin Box, who died on Thursday, "exemplified everything you want in a player."

Venables, the first Oklahoma official to publicly answer questions, made a brief statement before answering questions for several minutes on Thursday evening.

Austin Box was expected to be the Sooners' starting middle linebacker this fall as a senior."Every parent's worst nightmare is to get that call," he said. "We're numb, heartbroken."

Venables said the team had all been notified of Box's death.

"News travels fast, but you want to inform people the right way, the appropriate way," he said. "Guys got together rather quickly and did it the right way."

Box was found unresponsive at a home outside Oklahoma City on Thursday morning. Paramedics arrived, and he was eventually airlifted to a hospital in Oklahoma City, where he died.

An official at the Medical Examiner's office in Oklahoma City told ESPN.com that the cause of death would likely remain unknown until Friday at the earliest.

The 911 call was released on Thursday afternoon, in which Box's friend, J.T. Cobble, attempted to perform CPR.

"There's a guy who stayed with me last night and he's not responding to me," Cobble said when asked what was happening. "He takes pain pills and he's not responding to me."

Asked whether Box was breathing, he said, "I don't think so."

Venables said he "wouldn't be surprised" to see Oklahoma dedicate its season next fall to their former teammate.

"You talk about adversity, but he faced a lot," he said. "He fought his way out of it and got himself back in a place to contribute. That meant a lot to him, to not let his teammates down."

Box injured his elbow before coming to Oklahoma, injured his knee in 2008 and missed five games in 2010 after back surgery before the season began.

"He had a profound impact on the success we had," said Venables.

Oklahoma won its final five games in 2010 to win the Big 12 and the Fiesta Bowl.

"He stands for everything that's right about this program. He’s made a ton of big plays, and was instrumental in what we did to finish the way we did," he said. "Without him, I’m not sure we would have finished the same way."

Box finished spring practice atop the depth chart at middle linebacker.

"He was one of the most selfless guys I’ve ever been around, a great leader for us," Venables said. "His greatest fear was to let down great coaches and great players … He wanted to live up to that in some way."

rekamrettuB
5/19/2011, 09:51 PM
Way too young. Very sad. Prayers and condolences to his family and friends.

As for Landry and the #12, I think it would be pretty cool for him to honor Austin by changing numbers this year. Maybe bring Austin's #12 jersey and drape it over the bench each game.

I think Landry should highly consider changing numbers. Think it could be pretty powerful and pull the team together.

Along those lines, it would be really cool if the entire team came out in #12 jerseys for warm ups during the first game.

CrimsonRez
5/19/2011, 09:53 PM
should do what they did for Jack Mildren and highlight the #12 yard line for him...at the very least

Chuck Bao
5/19/2011, 09:57 PM
My thoughts and prayers go to the Box family, his friends, teammates and fans. We indeed lost a great one today who will be missed and long remembered.

King Barry's Back
5/19/2011, 10:07 PM
So responsibility is not to be on the patient?

I am still in shock that we lost a great player and what seemed like a good kid. But lets stop the finger pointing. It is ashame as to what happened, but saying the doctors, or pharmacist, or even friend that gave him the pain killer should not be blamed.

I pray for his family and friends and the Sooner nation in this tough time.

Unless you've walked in the shoes, friend, it's best you don't judge.

Chronic pain and violent muscle spasms due to severe injury, once sustained, will haunt you for the rest of your life.

If you are desperate to escape that, for whatever reason - to keep a job, to participate in your family's life, to attend class and study, or to play football - you are going to be sorely tested to resist the temptation to do what it takes to feel healthy again.

If you are a young kid and an athlete and you think you are, and should be, king of the world, it's going to be that much harder.

Condolences to the Box family.

SoonerofAlabama
5/19/2011, 10:18 PM
I think Landry should highly consider changing numbers. Think it could be pretty powerful and pull the team together.

Along those lines, it would be really cool if the entire team came out in #12 jerseys for warm ups during the first game.

What jersey do you think he could change to? He has always been #12.

AlboSooner
5/19/2011, 10:20 PM
we made a simple salute to Austin

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/7221/boxheader.jpg

rip Mr. Box

are you usarotc on shaggy?

CarolinaSoonerFan
5/19/2011, 10:21 PM

Let him keep #12. Austin would be very honored for Landry to win the Heisman and #8 wearing #12.

rekamrettuB
5/19/2011, 10:25 PM

And that's the reason it could be a very powerful move for him as the leader of that team. I would consider it if I were him. I would change to whatever number is available. If he likes 12 that much, maybe 6, or 21. Not sure if those numbers are available but that's beside the point right now. It's just a shame we even have to be discussing it.

Herr Scholz
5/19/2011, 10:36 PM
Very sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers to the Box family and Sooner nation.

LostCreekSooner
5/19/2011, 10:46 PM
:(

LVSOONER15
5/19/2011, 10:49 PM
God bless and RIP Box. BOOMER SOONER

JBIILonghorns
5/19/2011, 10:54 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with the Box family. I feel for his parents and siblings. I can't imagine the pain they are dealing with.

sooner59
5/19/2011, 11:01 PM
I personally know an orthopedic surgeon in OKC that absolutely refuses to prescribe OC on the account of its ability to be addictive. I shadowed him and personally watched patients get really pizzed at him, but he offered other meds or referrals to other docs.

CrimsonRez
5/19/2011, 11:07 PM
^ I totally agree, Oxycontin should be freaking illegal man. Theres plenty of other painkillers out there. If you are hurting so bad you need OC and no other pain med will help, then you should be in a hospital.

SoonerMom2
5/19/2011, 11:08 PM
I don't think Landry should change numbers because Box wouldn't want him to in the first place. What better legacy than to have a #12 take this team to the National Championship and win it.

oudavid1
5/19/2011, 11:15 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/301hr11.jpg

boomersooner28
5/19/2011, 11:17 PM
Man...just listened to the 911 call. My heart hurts. :(

OhU1
5/19/2011, 11:24 PM
I somehow didn't see this horrible news until this evening. I felt stunned. The life of a young man ended and it's too late to help or change anything. :(

usaosooner
5/19/2011, 11:33 PM
are you usarotc on shaggy?

si

usaosooner
5/19/2011, 11:34 PM

good job man

OU-HSV
5/19/2011, 11:47 PM
Venables statement was awful to watch. He held it together, but he's definitely hurt by this. That was his guy, though. If anyone in the Venables defense has a close-knit relationship with BV, it's usually the MLB. The "quarterback of the defense."

For anyone like myself that missed Venable's statement, here's the video. Hard to watch though, Venables is obviously saddened about the situation as everyone else is:
http://newsok.com/article/3569577

TheHumanAlphabet
5/19/2011, 11:52 PM
He's dead, per someone I know. Oxycodone overdose :(

Prayers for the Family.

OKC-SLC
5/19/2011, 11:54 PM
Just horrible.

Sooner02
5/20/2011, 12:32 AM
This was a very surreal way to receive this news tonight. R.I.P. Austin Box.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/jroxx/P5190473.jpg

ouwasp
5/20/2011, 12:38 AM
Prayers for the family...

I found out this afternoon when the texas fan that teaches next door to me came in with the news. One of my Sooner fan students started..."Well, they still have..."

Me: "Are you nuts? A young guy just died and you're wondering about the depth chart?"

budbarrybob
5/20/2011, 01:46 AM
Haven't experienced this level of suckitude, ever. RIP

SoonerOX
5/20/2011, 03:10 AM
RIP Austin. You will be missed. Prayers for the family.

d.stOUgh
5/20/2011, 03:44 AM
Prayers from the state of Alabama. It's tough to lose someone so young. Our team just buried one of our own last week.

Thank you Kevin...

OU & Bama have such mutual respect for each other that we felt your pain at your loss and now, it's our pain...

GOD rest both players souls and know we know your pain...as you do ours.

The most important thing is to pray for the families of both players...may GOD comfort them both.

A truly sad day for us all...

d.stOUgh
5/20/2011, 03:52 AM
what a horrible thing it must be to lose a child. being a parent of two grown men, i can not imagine what that must be like. may Austin's Parents take comfort in knowing that the entire Sooner Nation is praying for them, and mourning the loss of their child. RIP No. 12

As a parent to three sons, my heart and prayers goes out to the Box family.

may GOD give you comfort in knowing that Austin is in GODS hands now...no more pain...we who are left behind, mourn his passing.

But I know Austin would want this terrible tradgey to bring us all together and win this season for him!

GOD Bless the Box family and BOOMER SOONER!

This season is for you, Austin!

d.stOUgh
5/20/2011, 04:10 AM
My heart hurts for the Box family, friends and the University Of Oklahoma.

My prayers are for the family...but know this...Austin would have wanted OU to win the NC.

This season is for you...AUSTIN BOX! You will never be forgotten and i pray the Oklahoma Sooners WILL Honor your memory with the Championship!

You & your family deserve no less...playing at Oklahoma was Austins dream...this season is for him!

Make him proud Sooners!

BOOMER SOONER...and GOD rest your soul!

SOFSooner
5/20/2011, 05:48 AM
Did not get the news here in Djibouti, Africa until this morning. I am also from Enid and followed Austin's career both at EHS and OU. It is sad to see a young man with a promising life in front of him have it end so suddenly. May God bless Austin, and watch out for his family in their time of pain and sadness.

NoleMan
5/20/2011, 06:34 AM
So sorry to hear of this. We had one, Devaughn Darling, die of an apparent "cardiac arrhythmia."

No one should die that young. Thoughts and prayers out to the family and Sooner Nation.

BigJerm7
5/20/2011, 07:22 AM
Time to get a #12 jersey to wear to the games.

texaspokieokie
5/20/2011, 07:25 AM

excellent, Dave !!

madillsoonerfan5353
5/20/2011, 07:49 AM
:( :( Sad day in Sooner Nation. He was one of the best players to watch, he gave his all for his Sooners. He will be missed more than just on the field. A young kid taken from us to soon. RIP

:(

sooner n houston
5/20/2011, 08:09 AM
Prayers to his friends and family. Really sad news.

BigJerm7
5/20/2011, 08:17 AM
tulsa world has some of his old high school clips up, pretty neat read.

yukonsooner
5/20/2011, 08:19 AM
On the animal this morning they are encouraging all sooner fans to wear red today in honor of Austin. Our family will be keeping the Box family in our prayers through this trying time.

zeke
5/20/2011, 08:41 AM
Sad Sad day. Prayers to Austin's family and friends. RIP

soonerloyal
5/20/2011, 08:41 AM
Our prayers and love go out to all who love Austin. May God hold you gently in the palm of His loving hand and may He strengthen you & comfort your hearts as only He can. I wish there were words to help you through this pain. The Sooner Nation hurts with you. God bless you, young man. We're blessed to have had you. Until we meet again...

Wearing Crimson in honor of #12 today. :(

SoonernMilw
5/20/2011, 08:45 AM
So sad and way to young,prayers to the Box family. RIP you will be missed

Augusta_Sooner
5/20/2011, 08:54 AM
R.I.P. Austin Box - a true Sooner who bled crimson and cream. He never let injuries prevent him from living out his childhood dream of playing for OU. He had so much life yet to live. Graduating last week and preping for a national title run this fall.....it's terrible that Austin didn't get to play out his senior year after battling through so much adversity. He deserved so much more than having his life cut short. He gave everything he had to the university, and in the end, he may have given his life in pursuit of fulfilling his dream of winning a national championship for OU. Gone but never forgotten.

SoonernMilw
5/20/2011, 09:02 AM
From his high school coach when he was in 9th grade He was making defensive plays that were just incredible," Cobble said. "On one play, he hit the ball carrier so hard that all that was left were smoke and shoes."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=23&articleid=061203_Sp_B1_Talen3066&archive=yes

swardboy
5/20/2011, 09:18 AM
Even as a former football player I'm struggling with what the sport puts these young men's bodies through. Austin Box will forever be known as a gamer who left it ALL on the field....and more.

BillyBall
5/20/2011, 09:30 AM
Way too damn young.

Lawton4Life
5/20/2011, 09:55 AM
I always wear an OU shirt on Fridays at the office. This morning in the shower I thought to myself, is it appropriate today for a split second...then I realized that wearing the crimson that Austin loved and gave his body to day in and day out would be the best tribute that I could do...especially since I work in Austin, TX.

bornnbredou
5/20/2011, 10:00 AM
Such a tragic end, I sure hope his addiction was innocent and something he could not control, but at the same time that makes it even more of a travesty.

Soonerntxs
5/20/2011, 10:54 AM
(RIP) and may God Bless, family, friends and my fellow SOONERS during this time.

NorCal Sooner
5/20/2011, 11:11 AM
Prayers. You will be missed by many.

FaninAma
5/20/2011, 11:41 AM
Such a tragic end, I sure hope his addiction was innocent and something he could not control, but at the same time that makes it even more of a travesty.

This is what I was trying to express yesterday.

IF this turns out to be the case it makes this tragedy even more heartbreaking. I always try to make an attempt to understand tragedies like this and why they happen. It helps me cope with the things I deal with in my profession.

In Austin's situtation it appears that a dedicated young man who sacrificed all of his life to play the sport he loved just couldn't bring himself to shut it down even though he was in immense pain. If he used the pain medication it was only because he wanted to play one last year so badly and couldn't bring himself to not try and play this last year even it it meant playing through a lot of pain.

I know that everybody that knew him and loved him wishes they could turn back the clock and tell him that continuing his career was far less important than his well-being.

Take this opportunity to tell your kids this. I know you may assume they know this but in talking to young adults and adolescents you would be shocked to realize how many of them equate their value to personal endeavors like sports and once you take that away from them their self-esteem plummets.

Soonerus
5/20/2011, 11:43 AM
Nobody knows what happened and nobody should be speculating about it...

Sooner47
5/20/2011, 11:55 AM
One of my favorite quotes is ""Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." Austin Box learned better than most how to dance in the rain. He fought through a lot of pain and adversity to live his dream to be a Sooner. The Sooner nation will never forgot him.

Eternal rest grant unto Austin, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace.

nighttrain12
5/20/2011, 11:56 AM

His friend at the house knows what happened and it is only the circumstances we are speculating about, not whether it was a tragedy.

GrapevineSooner
5/20/2011, 11:58 AM
We mourn any tragic ending to a young life in the world of sports. But it hits a little harder when it's one of our own.

RIP Austin and may your friends and family find some level of comfort in how you lived your life.

Pricetag
5/20/2011, 12:31 PM
In Austin's situtation it appears that a dedicated young man who sacrificed all of his life to play the sport he loved just couldn't bring himself to shut it down even though he was in immense pain. If he used the pain medication it was only because he wanted to play one last year so badly and couldn't bring himself to not try and play this last year even it it meant playing through a lot of pain.

It makes me feel like a selfish a-hole because I was so excited to have him back this year. Despite all his injuries, I never gave a thought to how badly he might be hurting.

badger
5/20/2011, 12:55 PM
While he dealt with a few injuries along the way, he really did have some outstanding moments for OU on the field. I was looking at SS.com's list of accomplishments for him here (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/box_austin00.html) and was wondering if anyone had any video clips or info on them?

2010: "Recovered a fumble vs. Nebraska"

I don't remember the play, but know he had a big impact on the game and definitely earned this celebration afterward: http://i52.tinypic.com/nnkwo9.png

2010: "second career interception came at Oklahoma State"
I distinctly remember him holding his entire arm above the ground for a few seconds as the camera zoomed in on him, making sure that no part of the ball would touch the ground. I think it was in the second half, but I don't remember when or where on the field it was.

Once again, I have an "after the fact" shot :)
http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/1280104/medium.jpg

2009: "forced first career fumble against Texas A&M"
I don't have any images or any info on this at all. All I remember is that we won and that it was in Norman.

2008: "made a diving interception against Texas A&M"

This one I have the best pic on:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2011/20110520_ouboxD0520.jpg
^^^wow, that is such a cool shot. any and all austin tributes should include that image!^^^

Anyone remember when/where in the game it was? It was in College Station and I think that was one of our 60-point streak games :)

Were there any highlights that SS.com missed or anything else that you remember from any games? Any photos, videos, info about any of the above events (or any others not mentioned) would be great. Thanks!

EDIT: Anyone notice the diving grab shot, it looks like the tape on his leg says "R8?" I wonder if that's short for "RR8" as in Ryan Reynolds since it was in 2008, the year he went out in the Texas game with a knee injury. Hmm...

AlboSooner
5/20/2011, 12:56 PM

especially on Horns message boards

badger
5/20/2011, 01:08 PM
OK, here's some more background:

2010: "Recovered a fumble vs. Nebraska"

According to a box score on usatoday.com, With 12:45 left in the third quarter, Taylor Martinez (love you Tay Tay! thanks for the championship!) rushed (does that mean trying like hell to avoid a sack and failing?) to the Nebraska 25 for -4 yards. Taylor Martinez fumble recovered by Austin Box at the Nebraska 24, returned for no gain.

2010: "second career interception came at Oklahoma State"

Start viewing at 1:38:
dQgScg8dGCU
It looks like it was 1st and 10 pokes at their own 25 or so. The pass was tipped (by Hammer???) and recovered by extreme diving on Austin's part near the 20. It was about 7:26 left in the 4th with us only up 30-26. Definitely a key play in the victory on the road. :)

Another photo:
http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1422187/gallery_photo

Rus is right - we shouldn't speculate till the ME report comes back at this point. So, I'd rather think about Austin's life than his death right now.

Cornfed
5/20/2011, 01:19 PM
As a father I could not comprehend the loss of one of my kids.

Prayers for the parents to help cope with this.

Ive had to take OC before fore injuries and it allways made me breathe extremely shallow, sometimes I even felt like I was holding my breath.

DakotaSooner
5/20/2011, 01:33 PM
still can't believe it.....

badger
5/20/2011, 01:34 PM
2009: "forced first career fumble against Texas A&M"

According to the game's stat page on ESPN.com (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=293180201), it was about 4:55 left in second quarter during a kickoff following an OU score, with us up 28-10. Texas A&M's Cyrus Gray returned the kickoff for 22 yards, but was forced to fumble by Austin. However, A&M's Bradley Stephens recovered at the A&M 29.

2008: "made a diving interception against Texas A&M"

Once again using ESPN.com stats archive (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=283130245&period=0). With about 7:20 left in the third, it was 2nd and 9 at A&M 28. Good ol' Jerrod Johnson, who I wished we could have met in the A&M this past season, threw a pick to Austin Box at the A&M 37, returned for no gain. Two plays later, Sam connects with Iggy for a 37-yard touchdown pass. OU increased its lead to 59-21 (again, at College Station) and we went on to win 66-28.

Start at 4:55.
fRu1ZXvmkLk

I will keep digging to find videos, photos, anything on these any other highlights. Help me out if you can!

OK2U
5/20/2011, 01:44 PM
I'm not a religious or spiritual man, but I've been praying for the Box family, especially his parents and sisters. I can't imagine what they must be going through.

Also, I'm sure its been discussed, but the soonersports video of Venables addressing the media last night is almost too hard to watch.

badger
5/20/2011, 01:49 PM
One more on the Nebrasky game - start watching at 8:00 and you can see the sack before the big play!
RXtIGAZ7R-Q

So he actually sacked Taylor before he got him to fumble (and recovered it). Amazing! :)

GK talks about Austin on NewsOK here. (http://www.newsok.com/gerald-mccoy-talks-about-austin-box/multimedia/video/952297820001)

GK: I always said when I did interviews at Oklahoma that I didn't grow up with brothers, I didn't have any, so any team I was on, they were my family, they were my brothers. I remember watching Austin get recruited and I was so excited that he was coming to Oklahoma because I was on defense, he was on defense so I knew he would help us out.

bmjlr
5/20/2011, 02:23 PM
I'm not a religious or spiritual man, but I've been praying for the Box family, especially his parents and sisters. I can't imagine what they must be going through.

Also, I'm sure its been discussed, but the soonersports video of Venables addressing the media last night is almost too hard to watch.

^THIS. I plan to add a Box jersey to my jersey wall.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2011, 02:24 PM
services set for next friday at 11 in Enid..Emmanuel Baptist Church

Mad Dog Madsen
5/20/2011, 02:30 PM
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1691/ripaustin.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/ripaustin.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

badger
5/20/2011, 02:34 PM
So he actually sacked Taylor before he got him to fumble (and recovered it). Amazing! :)

I found photos on SS.com of both. First the sack:
http://i52.tinypic.com/348fyuv.png

Then, after the next play, Austin has the ball :)
http://i51.tinypic.com/20kvp0k.png

Looking back at all of these pictures and videos makes me think that even if Austin was dealing with injuries and in pain, he was still having the time of his life.

EDIT: And upon a 50th viewing, I see that it wasn't a sack, but rather, a tackle for a loss. The player he's bullying around behind the line of scrimmage on the first play is Helu Jr., not Taylor. So, tackle for loss, THEN fumble recovery :)

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
5/20/2011, 02:56 PM
RIP Austin, you will be missed!!

Now to digress a bit, before everyone on here gets all worked up about Oxy, go read a bit about. I personally know 2 young people that were athletes who were buried due to Oxy overdoses and I currently have a duaghter that is/was, hopefuly was is the case, that had an Oxy addiction which most likely stemmed from a car acident in 2005. Oxy is designed to be a 12 hour time release pain killer, and it does this if swallowed whole. If it is crushed and swallowed or chewed, smoked, snorted, you get its affects all at once. Everyone in America needs to demand Oxy be taken off the shelf and repalced by an Oxy pill that if crushed, chewed, smoked, snorted, etc. will be a benign substance. It contains micro-caspules that if crushed, burnt, etc will cause the opium part of Oxy to be no more than a sugar pill.

May all prayers from Sooner Nation and from around the world help comfort the Box family during this time of grief, and forever.

badger
5/20/2011, 04:16 PM
Did Austin ever wear #42?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k44/yubnolck/AustinBox.jpg

Because that photo (look at the date in the corner) totally looks like him. Stolen off photobucket :)

SoonerofAlabama
5/20/2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks badger. Lets remember him like he was.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/20/2011, 05:38 PM
Did Austin ever wear #42?

Because that photo (look at the date in the corner) totally looks like him. Stolen off photobucket :)

Yes, he did. I believe he switched '09. [EDIT: Scratch that. He switched '08. Wore 42 only in '07 according to soonerstats.com.]

KBoomer11
5/20/2011, 06:38 PM
Funeral services set. 11 am at Emmanuel Baptist Church in Enid.

gtowntide
5/20/2011, 07:00 PM
RIP young man. Prayers for his family from the Crimson Tide nation.

SoonerofAlabama
5/20/2011, 08:10 PM
My audio started working and I just listened to the Venables interview. He is clearly deeply saddened and is going through this with Sooner nation.

Memtig14
5/20/2011, 09:13 PM
Words can't describe the sadness.......

Prayers to all..........

soonerlaw
5/20/2011, 11:40 PM
At the young age of 22, he had already graduated with a double major, been a part of championship teams in both High School and College, been a leader to his teammates, an inspiration to many Oklahoma fans who watched him grow up as a hometown favorite, and a proud beacon to his family and friends. He had accomplished more in 22 years than many people do in a lifetime. Even though his life was short, he made the most of it, and we will remember him for it always.

texas bandman
5/21/2011, 01:53 AM
My heart hurts...Condolences to his family.

1 The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD
Forever.

Rest in peace, Austin.

GrapevineSooner
5/21/2011, 10:00 AM
Texas Ranger Chris Davis was very good friends with Austin (http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/20/3092439/chris-davis-mourns-loss-of-friend.html). In fact, he was set to host Austin at an upcoming Rangers homestand.

"I got some chills when I was running around the bases," Davis said Friday.

"I definitely think God had something to do with it. Maybe Austin was up there looking out for us."

Box, 22, was found unresponsive in a home in El Reno, Okla., and attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.

No official cause of death was released, and the body was sent to the state's medical examiner. A witness said he believed Box had been taking pain pills and had overdosed.

Davis hopes that some good can emerge from the loss of his friend.

"It's just really hard to come to grips with this," Davis said.

"I feel bad for his family and his friends. It's just a tough time anytime you lose a guy that age. It's a tragedy.

"Hopefully guys will realize you still have to take care of yourself and that you're not invincible, you're not bulletproof."

JLEW1818
5/21/2011, 10:10 AM
Yes, he did. I believe he switched '09. [EDIT: Scratch that. He switched '08. Wore 42 only in '07 according to soonerstats.com.]

yah, and he was a RS in 07

JLEW1818
5/21/2011, 10:12 AM
ENID, Okla.
Friends and family of University of Oklahoma middle linebacker Austin Box were set to honor his life at a funeral service next Friday, The Oklahoman reported Saturday.

A service will be held for Box at Emmanuel Baptist Church in his hometown of Enid, Okla., at 11:00 a.m. local time May 27. The 22 year old died Thursday after being found unresponsive by his friend J.T. Cobble at a home in El Reno, Okla.

The cause of his death remains unconfirmed, though Cobble's 911 call suggested Box may have overdosed on pain pills.

The Oklahoma Medical Examiner's Office began an autopsy Friday, with a toxicology test ordered to see if Box had drugs in his system when he died.

Box, who collected his college degree in May, was expected to be a starter at middle linebacker in his senior season. He recorded 37 tackles during his junior year with the Sooners.

Box was the second college football player to die in recent weeks. Alabama offensive lineman Aaron Douglas was found dead May 12 after a night of partying in a northern Florida beach town.

boomermagic
5/21/2011, 12:46 PM
R I P Austin

PLaw
5/22/2011, 03:34 PM
Too young.
Too much promise.
Too many questions.
Too sad.

Our prayers of comfort and peace to the Box family. It is a parent's greatest fear to lose a child.

RIP Austin.

picasso
5/22/2011, 11:44 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110520_92_B5_CUTLIN301082

achiro
5/23/2011, 12:03 PM
I drive past his parents home every day on the way to the office. This morning I saw that several of his former teammates had placed their football and baseball yard markers in front of the house. These are the ones parents put out with their kids name on them. Anyway, it was pretty powerful. They put a picture of a few of them(there are a lot more now) in today's paper but I can't find it on the website.

SOFSooner
5/23/2011, 01:16 PM
My parents live about 4 blocks west of Austin's parents house and they called me here in Djibouti to tell me about the yard and the signs. I think that is a unique and awesome way to pay your respects for what Austin brought into his teammates (past and present) lives. God bless.

achiro
5/23/2011, 01:51 PM
Took a quick shot with my iphone(sorry about the quality)
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7472/boxhome.jpg

SunnySooner
5/24/2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks for posting that, Achiro, very cool.

I've had his poor family in my prayers since I heard of this tragedy. This is a beautiful way to show the love his friends had for him, I hope it will be a comfort to his parents. It's just all way too sad, I hate that it happened, what a waste.

ouduckhunter
5/26/2011, 04:49 PM
Lovely tribute, but golly is this sad to look at. My heart breaks for his family and friends.

NOVSooner
5/27/2011, 10:54 AM
http://www.winterlive.com/Emmanuel-Enid/index.php

NOVSooner
5/27/2011, 10:59 AM
very emotional. so surreal.

cdlbdd
5/27/2011, 11:02 AM
http://www.winterlive.com/Emmanuel-Enid/index.php

It is a shame that the football players shown before the service did not have the respect/decency or means to wear a suit.

BigTime1
5/27/2011, 11:21 AM
It is a shame that the football players shown before the service did not have the respect/decency or means to wear a suit.

A suit does not make the person or have any relevance to what is being dealt with.

cdlbdd
5/27/2011, 11:26 AM
A suit does not make the person or have any relevance to what is being dealt with.

It certainly doesn't make the person, but absolutely has relevance here. Wearing a suit to a funeral shows your recognition and respect for what the family is going through. An OU coaches polo, as worn by someone onstage, shows a lack of respect for the gravity of the event.

NOVSooner
5/27/2011, 11:32 AM
It certainly doesn't make the person, but absolutely has relevance here. Wearing a suit to a funeral shows your recognition and respect for what the family is going through. An OU coaches polo, as worn by someone onstage, shows a lack of respect for the gravity of the event.

personal opinion. but irrelevant. i guess you would condemn the kid in the audience wearing his Sooner jersey?

cdlbdd
5/27/2011, 11:34 AM
personal opinion. but irrelevant. i guess you would condemn the kid in the audience wearing his Sooner jersey?

Absolutely, I believe wearing a football jersey to a funeral is inappropriate.

badger
5/27/2011, 11:38 AM
Stoops is talking now.

MyT Oklahoma
5/27/2011, 12:32 PM
I'm glad that I found out by accident that the services were available over the Internet. I watched the whole thing.

As for any discussion regarding who wore what clothing, I could care less. The only thing that mattered today was those who were there to support Austin's family in their time of grief. A coat and tie is always nice if you have the money but just being there for the family is all that counts IMO.

Rest In Peace Austin Box. We'll see you again some day on the other side.

ouduckhunter
5/27/2011, 01:43 PM

This may be the first funeral that many of them have been to. Nobody looks forward to a funeral/memorial service so the fact that so many are there speaks volumes. Austin is watching and he's is glad that he had so many friends,and that they gathered to remember him. He doesn't strike me as the type that would care if they wore suits or shorts.

MsProudSooner
5/27/2011, 02:12 PM
I suspect Austin's family didn't care what his teammates wore, and that's all that really matters.

kustang619
5/27/2011, 04:25 PM
Did anyone ever stop to think that some of these guys might not have suits? Conversation is irrelevant. A life was lost, that's what matters! Petty stuff just distracts from the life of Austin... Today was a great and moving service...God Bless the Box family!

tulsaoilerfan
5/27/2011, 10:11 PM
Hell im 45 years old and i don't even own a suit cause my job doesn't require me to wear one at any time; when i go to a funeral i dress as well as i can and i think it's totally inappropriate to even comment on how the kids at the funeral today were dressed

Collier11
5/27/2011, 10:18 PM

Youre an idiot, plain and simple...find something else to bitch about

oudavid1
5/27/2011, 10:18 PM

This kind of post is as irrelevant as the topic it brings up.

SOONER STEAKER
5/27/2011, 10:19 PM
Watch the service at 5pm via Emmauel Baptist website. One of the best celebrations of life I've seen. GOD's linebacker is Austin Box!!

Collier11
5/27/2011, 10:21 PM
Its on their website

oudavid1
5/27/2011, 10:21 PM

An OU coaches polo? That bothers you? The only reason this thread is even in front of your eyes and this death has tragically touched us all is for one reasons, the same reason we(me included) shell out hundreds and hundreds of dollars, stress, talk, eat, breath over. Austin wanted to be a Sooner his whole life. I am dam sure he didnt mind one bit.

Oh, and if you want to see lack of respect, go to shaggybevo.com and look at some of those pictures. I wont even post them in this thread because, yes, even I have standards.

SoonerofAlabama
5/27/2011, 10:24 PM
Thank you oudavid. You shouldn't worry about what a kid is wearing to a funeral service. being there is enough and I am sure that the person being there is enough for the Box family.

Collier11
5/27/2011, 10:28 PM
and I dont even know why I looked, those people who are dogging Box are worthless in life, dont know why I wasted my time. There will always be jackasses, tex fans or not, unbelievable how some people have no conscience

oudavid1
5/27/2011, 10:34 PM
and I dont even know why I looked, those people who are dogging Box are worthless in life, dont know why I wasted my time. There will always be jackasses, tex fans or not, unbelievable how some people have no conscience

To be honest, I really shouldn't have brought it up in this thread. That was a mistake.

Collier11
5/27/2011, 10:37 PM
its the same on ESPN threads, I dont know why I even look...too many worthless people to waste my time

Chiliman
5/27/2011, 11:45 PM
Absolutely, I believe wearing a football jersey to a funeral is inappropriate.

The young woman who wore the white jersey is a longtime family friend. Her parents and Austin's parents have been close friends for 20 years. Their children are all close to the same age. She wore his actual Sun Bowl jersey out of respect and love for life long friend. I have no doubt Craig and Gail loved the fact she wanted to wear Austin's jersey.

The woman who wore the red jersey is also a long time family friend and a huge OU fan. Her husband was a 4 time All American wrestler @ OU in the early 70's and a National Champion when OU won the wrestling championship in '73 or '74. It is my understanding that her oldest daughter and Courtney Box graduated from Enid High together and were freshman roomates @ OU.
This woman also apparently spent all week with the Boxes in their home helping with all the family, friends, flowers and food delivered to the home all week. This woman loved Austin like her own son.

picasso
5/28/2011, 09:49 AM

It's a shame a doosh like you ruined this thread.

StoopTroup
5/28/2011, 11:33 AM
He's gone (cdlbbd)....let it go....

I haven't been able to look at the Best of Austin Videos yet and now we've seemingly lost Brandon....

Anyway...I just want to thank everyone who have left nice responses about Austin....

I hope he's not suffering anymore and rooting his Team mates to be all they can be as we head into this Season. He was a huge part of our winning last year and is already missed...

God Bless the Box Family....

tulsaoilerfan
5/28/2011, 07:07 PM
Austin Box gave everything he had to the University of Oklahoma; RIP Austin u will definitely be missed for years to come

birddog
5/30/2011, 07:43 PM
arsehorns need to wory about themselves. all their players prolly smoke crack but they haven't passed yet. as oklahomans we overcome tragedy better than anyone other place.

RIP Austin.

BigJerm7
6/1/2011, 03:10 PM
It Wearing a suit to a funeral shows your recognition and respect for what the family is going through.

Says who? It ain't the 50's anymore. Pretty sure his family could care less what anybody wore.

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 03:48 PM
Prayers once again for Austin Box's family and friends.

Loco
6/4/2011, 07:37 AM
Hope his family and friends are comforted in there time of need....

soonerloyal
6/5/2011, 03:38 PM
For heaven's sake...I just realized that I lived next door to Craig and sister Cathy in Altus. Cathy was a good friend of mine. I feel like I've been punched in the gut again - I had no idea Austin was his son. Doesn't really change much I suppose, except to feel the pain for those who love Austin even more deeply in my heart. Damn.

Rest in peace and love, Austin.

OutlandTrophy
7/12/2011, 10:22 AM

stevo
7/12/2011, 10:29 AM
drugs are bad, mmmkay?

StoopTroup
7/18/2011, 02:16 AM
For heaven's sake...I just realized that I lived next door to Craig and sister Cathy in Altus. Cathy was a good friend of mine. I feel like I've been punched in the gut again - I had no idea Austin was his son. Doesn't really change much I suppose, except to feel the pain for those who love Austin even more deeply in my heart. Damn.

Rest in peace and love, Austin.

Small World huh.

Nice words.

Section 9
8/6/2011, 03:13 PM
It is so sad to see Austin's helmet sitting out on the field. I am happy that
Travis is honoring Austin, but it sort of takes your breath away when you
see it sitting there.

3rdgensooner
8/6/2011, 03:18 PM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/228800_2277154605837_1157906231_32747509_6663353_n .jpg

Chiliman
8/6/2011, 03:39 PM
Oh my God. That is so damn sad. Rest in peace Big Boy.

JLEW1818
8/6/2011, 03:55 PM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/228800_2277154605837_1157906231_32747509_6663353_n .jpg

:( so sad..
Boomer !

SoonerofAlabama
8/6/2011, 10:17 PM
So sad. RIP Austin Box.

Soonermagik
8/6/2011, 10:20 PM
That helmet sitting there is just so sad!!! I mean, this is supposed to be Austin's year. :(

SoonerofAlabama
8/6/2011, 10:24 PM
What a great gesture by Travis Lewis though. Once again Rest In Peace Austin Box.

MamaMia
8/6/2011, 11:38 PM
Dear Heavenly Father,
We thank You for Your most holy heart. We thank you for the kindness with which You have blessed the soul of Your servant, Austin Box. We thank you that You have cleansed him whom You have called from this world of all his pain and sorrows. You have taken him into the Realm of Light and Peace and into the Community of Your Saints, and gave to him his share of Eternal Delight in Your Kingdom. Dear God, You are the Creator and Saviour of all the faithful, You forgive all the sins of all Your servants' souls. Let them receive all that is holy and heavenly through our pious prayer. For this we pray through Jesus, our Lord. In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit...Amen.

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2011, 02:21 AM
I am still curious exactly what the team will do as a memorial to Austin Box. Does anyone know what they will during games?

R.I.P. Austin Box #12

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2011, 02:40 AM
Here is a link to a few more pictures from practice. There are a few more pictures of Austin's helmet as well.

Link (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150261955807005&set=a.10150261954547005.322170.99307042004&type=1&theater&pid=7791605&id=99307042004#!/media/set/?set=a.10150261954547005.322170.99307042004&type=1)

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/9590/18411110150261955807005.jpg

WE ARE dirtburglars
8/7/2011, 10:50 AM
:( so sad..
Boomer !

The Stoops picture looking at the helmet is very intense. Its almost hard to even look at it without tearing up. :( RIP Austin.

mojorisen2014
8/7/2011, 05:29 PM
no doubt a strong photo

SoonerofAlabama
8/8/2011, 08:00 PM
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3402/fde4edbb.jpg

Chiliman
8/8/2011, 08:37 PM
Wow! What a photo. Austin's birthday is August 10th. That's gonna be a tough day for his family.

soonerloyal
8/10/2011, 05:54 PM
Prayers, comfort and love to the Box family, on this bittersweet day.

SunnySooner
8/15/2011, 08:22 AM
OMG, that Stoops pic is a gut punch. Gawd, I hope this team can draw strength from this and lean on each other, it has to be so hard for them right now.

Lott's Bandana
8/15/2011, 03:58 PM
As of today, Box is still listed on the roster on SoonerSports. The true Freshmen are also listed, so the list has been fairly recently updated.

yermom
8/15/2011, 04:04 PM
that would be cool if they left him there for what should have been his senior season

JiminyChristmas
8/17/2011, 12:24 PM
In what should have been Austin's senior season, could we see a "hollywood couldn't script it any better" type moment to show that Austin is still watching?

In the Sooners' only game in the 12th month of 2011, #12 Landry Jones leads them to their 12th win of the season, clinching the Big 12 Championship and sending the Sooners to the 2012 BCS National Championship Game.

Might even be a 12 point victory over the 12th ranked team in the country.

God Bless the Box family.

Lott's Bandana
8/17/2011, 06:09 PM
Tweeted on May 19th...just saw this:

jeffcapel (http://twitter.com/#%21/jeffcapel) Jeff Capel

Thoughts and prayers with the Box family, and the Sooner nation. So sad! Spoke to coach Stoops a couple hours ago. Great kid and competitor.