PDA

View Full Version : This is quite interesting

IndySooner
5/19/2011, 11:49 AM
College Fooball the way we know it is going to change very soon. I'm not sure what direction it is going, but this could be an option.

http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2011/05/time-for-football-to-pick-a-side/

LostCreekSooner
5/19/2011, 01:06 PM
Interesting comments. One thing is for sure... the big schools (like OU) will NOT support equal distribution of money and limited athletic budgets. Anyone remember who sued the NCAA for TV contracts? Which schools are trying to create their own TV networks at this time? :pop:

NormanPride
5/19/2011, 01:13 PM
Limiting budgets and sharing revenue will just cripple everyone equally. And I'm not sure what the heck would happen if the NCAA gave football the boot... I'm sure it would turn into NFL lite.

soonercoop1
5/19/2011, 03:30 PM
Get the Presidents out of the decision making and go to a playoff...pretty simple...

SoonerofAlabama
5/19/2011, 04:09 PM
Limiting budgets and sharing revenue will just cripple everyone equally. And I'm not sure what the heck would happen if the NCAA gave football the boot... I'm sure it would turn into NFL lite.

Which would be terrible.

Caboose
5/19/2011, 04:21 PM
Get the Presidents out of the decision making and go to a playoff...pretty simple...

A playoff is probably the worst thing that could happen to college football.. unless your goal is to turn college football into something else.

OU_Sooners75
5/19/2011, 04:25 PM
A playoff is probably the worst thing that could happen to college football.. unless your goal is to turn college football into something else.

Pretty simple to say when it is nothing more than an individual opinion.

If it is more than just your opinion, what facts leads you to this decision?

JLEW1818
5/19/2011, 04:35 PM
Did Obama's worthless *** come up with this?

;)

texaspokieokie
5/19/2011, 04:51 PM

the Presidents are the controlling factor.

Xunil
5/19/2011, 04:59 PM
It is a pure power grab and greed from the NCAA driving things like this. They need to remember where their bred is buttered.

goingoneight
5/19/2011, 08:55 PM
The only reason whatsoever for CFB's "messed upness" is because it's set up for the rich to get richer. It's set up for the hype and tradition that died long ago in the NFL when their higher ups started grasping for straws trying to "make things fair for the little guys."
The big dogs' chief concern is losing that TV money, that upper hand they have over the "little guys" and their tradition to "balance."

I heard a great quote awhile back. They said something like that New Orleans winning the Super Bowl would be like Boise State winning the National Championship in a few ways. In other words, they were the little guy that back in the day, no one would have wanted there. I know the two aren't directly similar, but it makes sense. Look no further than all this Bowl Game/BCS/Fiesta Bowl fraud talk. It's guaranteed that these schools and many other parties benefit from these bowl games. For the same reason I don't go to the Sun Bowl, a lot of people would stop going to the bowl games if their team isn't in the "bracket."
With dying ticket sales and advertising dollars, someone suffers.

What I truly don't understand is why people think playoffs automatically means your team is going to have to travel to al these expensive bowl sites just to make their way through some tournament. Since when do 16 teams in college football legitimately have an argument that by year's end, they're deserving of a shot at the championship? This playoff could be arranged so small that a simple eight-team bracket. Six BCS conference champions, two "at-large" (aka "little guys" or *'s).

Thousands of people travel to conference championship games and yearly road games... you think if OU gets the announcement that they're gonna play LSU in Arlington for a chance to advance to a National Championship... Or better yet, if OU gets Boise State at home for a first round matchup, they're just not gonna show up?

If you want to play for the BCS, find a way into a BCS conference. Period. I even set up one easy example where you could pander to the *'s of the BCS world.

boomermagic
5/21/2011, 12:43 PM
Did Obama's worthless *** come up with this?

;)

No, It was probably the same one who almost RUINED our country He's a worthless piece of ****. His daddy didn't do so well either.

MeMyself&Me
5/21/2011, 01:00 PM
If the 'have nots' were to ever force a vote to do something that the 'haves' definitely do not want, I wouldn't be surprised if the the 'haves' just take their ball and go home... and form their own governing body (or use the already existing NAIA) and tell the NCAA where to stick it. This is one of the reasons why I tell people, if you want a playoff, you have to find a model that serves both sides interests... ie, a model that can be voted on by the lesser conferences while also being liked by the greater conferences.

Flagstaffsooner
5/21/2011, 01:28 PM
If the 'have nots' were to ever force a vote to do something that the 'haves' definitely do not want, I wouldn't be surprised if the the 'haves' just take their ball and go home... and form their own governing body (or use the already existing NAIA) and tell the NCAA where to stick it. This is one of the reasons why I tell people, if you want a playoff, you have to find a model that serves both sides interests... ie, a model that can be voted on by the lesser conferences while also being liked by the greater conferences.This has happened before, the CFA.

MeMyself&Me
5/21/2011, 01:59 PM
This has happened before, the CFA.

Yes and the CFA now no longer exists. Imagine what would happen to the NCAA (and all the 'have not' schools) if the 'big 6' conferences were to just up and leave the NCAA altogether and form their own organization. Which would you watch, the old NCAA or the new organization? And I'm not talking just football.

I'm sure the 'have nots' are aware that this is possible if they push too hard on anything of importance to the big guys. Just obtaining a majority of votes is not enough. They have to make sure the schools that made college football what it is are taken care of.

Sooner Cal
5/21/2011, 11:04 PM
Football will change, I just hope that they don't ruin it under the guise of giving you an NCAA playoff.

Have nots get to eat because the haves give them jobs. That's a fact. The only reason somebody like North Texas has a football program is because the OU's of this world will pay them to play. That's probably true of the KSU's of the world too.

I saw what happened to OU's attendance in the late 90's, it wasn't pretty. Making everyone even will shrink college sports and reduce money for all sports.

Those of you who dislike the current system better watch out what you wish for, it could be even worse.

soonerprices
5/22/2011, 08:05 AM
Have nots get to eat because the haves give them jobs. That's a fact. The only reason somebody like North Texas has a football program is because the OU's of this world will pay them to play. That's probably true of the KSU's of the world too.

You have it backwards, the have's (OU) do make it possible for the have nots to eat (KSU) by giving them jobs (making an OU vs KSU game meaningful) but those on welfare (NT) get to eat too and they do even have to work at it

King Barry's Back
5/22/2011, 10:06 PM

Whether or not a playoff is a good idea or not, "Get the Presidents out of the decision making.."

Are you kidding me?

The presidents are the ones that run the universities. It would be impossible to remove them, and I can't imagine what advantage it would bring.

texaspokieokie
5/23/2011, 07:37 AM
Whether or not a playoff is a good idea or not, "Get the Presidents out of the decision making.."

Are you kidding me?

The presidents are the ones that run the universities. It would be impossible to remove them, and I can't imagine what advantage it would bring.

This ^^^^^^^^

Sooner_Tuf
5/23/2011, 11:28 AM
Pretty simple to say when it is nothing more than an individual opinion.

If it is more than just your opinion, what facts leads you to this decision?

I think the powers that be need to be very careful changing a sport that is wildly popular and successful. College football has a 100 years of tradition and is as much about entertainment and rivalries as it is really determining a champion.

With all the restrictions placed on players and programs College Ball will never be Pro Ball and trying to make it so will only damage it. How much is a question I don't think anyone can answer.

If you truly want to determine a champion, if that is even possible, then you would have to set up a schedule that plays the best teams against the best teams. Which means throwing rivalries out a lot of years. College teams can only play so many games a year. I personally think changing it radically will lessen fan interest. And that is the one thing that makes college ball so exciting. A Bowl Game that you have weeks to make travel plans and most of them are in tourist areas so you can make it a vacation.

Playoff games will obviously be more spontaneous and may take you to places you have no interest in going. I think a lot of people simply can't afford to travel that much or will not be able to dedicate the time to do so. People my age, whose children are grown and are at a point where they could take the time probably won't.

I could easily add another 4 or 5 trips into my life but unless they were pretty cool places I don't think I would. I like the Bowl System. I know most people think there are too many Bowl Games and there may be. The market will determine the number and that is actually a good thing in my opinion.

College Football is not a professional sport. It has been a part of human nature to think we can improve upon everything. Big changes are almost never a plus when dealing with such a large and diverse group of people. It is what is because it makes most people happy.

OU_Sooners75
5/23/2011, 11:45 AM
I think the powers that be need to be very careful changing a sport that is wildly popular and successful. College football has a 100 years of tradition and is as much about entertainment and rivalries as it is really determining a champion.

With all the restrictions placed on players and programs College Ball will never be Pro Ball and trying to make it so will only damage it. How much is a question I don't think anyone can answer.

If you truly want to determine a champion, if that is even possible, then you would have to set up a schedule that plays the best teams against the best teams. Which means throwing rivalries out a lot of years. College teams can only play so many games a year. I personally think changing it radically will lessen fan interest. And that is the one thing that makes college ball so exciting. A Bowl Game that you have weeks to make travel plans and most of them are in tourist areas so you can make it a vacation.

Playoff games will obviously be more spontaneous and may take you to places you have no interest in going. I think a lot of people simply can't afford to travel that much or will not be able to dedicate the time to do so. People my age, whose children are grown and are at a point where they could take the time probably won't.

I could easily add another 4 or 5 trips into my life but unless they were pretty cool places I don't think I would. I like the Bowl System. I know most people think there are too many Bowl Games and there may be. The market will determine the number and that is actually a good thing in my opinion.

College Football is not a professional sport. It has been a part of human nature to think we can improve upon everything. Big changes are almost never a plus when dealing with such a large and diverse group of people. It is what is because it makes most people happy.

I agree, they need to be careful. But lets face it, the NCAA does not run major college football...the BCS does. Six conferences make up the BCS. Why do you think the BCS is hesitant to change to allow all schools to have equal access and to do away with conference alignment? Because the Big 6 loses what is in THEIR best interest.

And as far as 100 year tradition? Yeah, it has been around for a very long time. But it did not get widely popular until the NCAA was formed after President Teddy Roosevelt called for rule changes or to face being a banned sport. That said, there have been so many rule changes. Changes like you must actually be enrolled in the school to play for the team. Changes like Freshmen are actually able to play, to blacks allowed to play. Changes like fg tee or no fg tee. Changes like the clothesline tackle and the collar tackle made illegal. Changes like leather or durable plastic?

What's my point? In that 100 years of great tradition, there has been change after change after change and yet, college football has emerged as perhaps the most popular sport in america today. I do not think a change to a playoff would hurt that at all. In fact, I am sure those that do not like the idea would come to love it if the change is ever made.

d.stOUgh
5/24/2011, 12:31 AM
Interesting comments. One thing is for sure... the big schools (like OU) will NOT support equal distribution of money and limited athletic budgets. Anyone remember who sued the NCAA for TV contracts? Which schools are trying to create their own TV networks at this time? :pop:

OKLAHOMA & georgia! (1st question)

OKLAHOMA & texass (2nd question)

d.stOUgh
5/24/2011, 12:34 AM
No, It was probably the same one who almost RUINED our country He's a worthless piece of ****. His daddy didn't do so well either.

My two cents...

I AGREE!