PDA

View Full Version : This could affect some OU recruiting: coaching vacancy at Ardmore High

NMSooner'80
5/19/2011, 11:14 AM
The last coach, Larry McBroom, was an ex-Sooner (he was at least on the roster). But I remember when I was at AHS how our football program had an assistant who'd been a star OL (center) for Okie State. I didn't play football, but we used to hear about how Bert Jacobsen was a real jerk if anyone was in his presence wearing anything with OU on it. This was during my senior year, 35 years ago.

Is there any scuttlebutt as to who might get the job in Ardmore? That is a pretty big "OU town," and we don't want that to change if any more Jermaine Gresham or Thomas Benson types come along again anytime soon.

badger
5/19/2011, 11:45 AM
Blackmon, the guy that stole Broyles' receiving award last season, is from Ardmore, no? :)

NMSooner'80
5/19/2011, 12:01 PM
Blackmon, the guy that stole Broyles' receiving award last season, is from Ardmore, no? :)

Right, but he didn't graduate from Ardmore High. He went to Plainview, which has evolved into West Ardmore High (when I was at AHS, few of us who lived closer to Plainview wanted to go to what was then a "hick school"; and their student body hated us when our JV teams would play them).

SoonerofAlabama
5/19/2011, 04:08 PM
Maybe...Just as long as the coach isn't the supreme hater of all things Sooner, it should be fine.

texaspokieokie
5/19/2011, 04:11 PM
Boy, i'm just worried sick about who will be hired to coach in ardmore !!
:(

Always_Sooner
5/19/2011, 04:14 PM
I am a Plainview Alum, and Lone Grove/Dickson were referred to as Hicks. West Ardmore is where everyone builds new homes and buys property. I went their my entire life, and it was kids with parents that had loaded pocketbooks. Basically, a giant Dornick Hills click that Ardmore High had. Blackmon was a Texas fan back in the day. OU looked at him; because Kevin Sumlin was standing on the Plainview sideline a couple of games. They offered DJ Grant instead from the Austin area and he went to UT. He was an encouraged walk on at OU coming out of high school. OSU offered him late in the game, and you cannot blame anyone for going to play at a Big 12 school. I am a Justin Blackmon fan, but despise Oklahoma State to the fifth degree. Plainview has some of the best academics in the entire state. They are a decent 3A program, but have a hard time consistently beating the likes of the Sulpher's, Clinton's, Tuttles, etc....

SoonerofAlabama
5/19/2011, 04:14 PM
True there are 465 high schools in the state of Oklahoma. So one high school won't make that much of a difference.

texaspokieokie
5/19/2011, 04:21 PM
kids decision upon which school to attend, hinges on much more than his hi-school coach.
:)

NMSooner'80
5/19/2011, 04:44 PM
I am a Plainview Alum, and Lone Grove/Dickson were referred to as Hicks. West Ardmore is where everyone builds new homes and buys property. I went their my entire life, and it was kids with parents that had loaded pocketbooks. Basically, a giant Dornick Hills click that Ardmore High had.

I know that Plainview is now more prestigious than AHS. It was a weird time when I was coming through the school system (1968-76) between Plainview students and anyone in the Ardmore system. The school district boundaries were kind of vague west of Commerce. You had people who went to grade school in the Ardmore system at the now-defunct Northwest Elementary who wound up at Plainview in grades 7-12, and most of that area south of Broadway and east of Rockford was in Plainview's district. But most of those kids had gone to Ardmore schools before (like us - we started out near the Walker Stadium), so they transferred in every year.

Back then, some of us had friends who went to Plainview, but we also got the impression that the other Plainview kids just hated us. A guy I knew after we arrived for my 5th grade year missed the paperwork deadline and went there for that school year. They wouldn't even let him play for their summer baseball team in the old YMCA league - telling him, "we already had our team picked" or something like that.

But, by the time I was a senior, it was if the old suspicions had worn away, and I never again felt like they hated all of us AHS people. It was sort of a sudden change, but a welcome one. Just being around a few of the kids my age felt pretty natural, like it was really West AHS instead of the country school where we felt we weren't welcome at all.

Sorry if that was any kind of offensive earlier.

By the way, if anyone is bugged that I asked about the AHS opening, this is something I was just wondering about - and I knew some Ardmore folks were on this board.

texaspokieokie
5/19/2011, 04:50 PM
don't see why it would have bugged anyone.
:)

pappy
5/19/2011, 05:38 PM
I know that Plainview is now more prestigious than AHS. It was a weird time when I was coming through the school system (1968-76) between Plainview students and anyone in the Ardmore system. The school district boundaries were kind of vague west of Commerce. You had people who went to grade school in the Ardmore system at the now-defunct Northwest Elementary who wound up at Plainview in grades 7-12, and most of that area south of Broadway and east of Rockford was in Plainview's district. But most of those kids had gone to Ardmore schools before (like us - we started out near the Walker Stadium), so they transferred in every year.

Back then, some of us had friends who went to Plainview, but we also got the impression that the other Plainview kids just hated us. A guy I knew after we arrived for my 5th grade year missed the paperwork deadline and went there for that school year. They wouldn't even let him play for their summer baseball team in the old YMCA league - telling him, "we already had our team picked" or something like that.

But, by the time I was a senior, it was if the old suspicions had worn away, and I never again felt like they hated all of us AHS people. It was sort of a sudden change, but a welcome one. Just being around a few of the kids my age felt pretty natural, like it was really West AHS instead of the country school where we felt we weren't welcome at all.

Sorry if that was any kind of offensive earlier.

By the way, if anyone is bugged that I asked about the AHS opening, this is something I was just wondering about - and I knew some Ardmore folks were on this board.

I'm from Ardmore and graduated from Plainview in 2003. However my sister graduated from Ardmore in 2007 and I attend more Ardmore games (especially football) than plainview, so I'm glad you posted about it cause I live in Durant now and hadn't heard anything about it.

Always_Sooner
5/19/2011, 08:27 PM
I have no hard feelings to anyone anymore. I used to a bit when I was in school, but now that I am out working in the real world I realize that life after high school is dictating by what you aspire to do with yourself. Some of my best friends went to Ardmore/Lone Grove. I never got along with Dickson kids; because they reminded me of OSU fans. They came within a few points in football they acted like they beat you or something. I want anyone from Ardmore to go out into the world and do big things. Most people stay around and never leave, but some of us venture out into the outside world. (Class of 2006)

Happy trails NM80Sooner

Always_Sooner
5/19/2011, 08:29 PM
I am sure that Coach Llyod was the head coach at Ardmore when Gresham was a senior and let him make his own choice of where he wanted to go to college. Coach Dombeck encouraged Blackmon to go play D-1 ball wherever he wanted to go.

goingoneight
5/19/2011, 09:33 PM
Stoops to Ardmore!