PDA

View Full Version : Thursday poll: Texas fan's anti-OU argument with least clout

badger
5/19/2011, 10:41 AM
These arguments simply didn't work or continue to not work.

We hear them repeatedly when we're around people proudly sporting their burnt orange t-shirt (except after 5-7 football seasons, but there's always basketball for them to fall back on) or when one of them lurks here. Alas, these arguments have very little clout. The question is... which argument sucks the most?

Four days of voting. Anonymous voting! Vote for one and only one. Please write-in your own, because we've all heard even better ones than these. Hook em

Option A: "Double digit victory settled on a neutral field"

This one worked so well that they ended up not in the Big 12 championship game and not in the national championship game. Endless plane banners and 45-35 reminders made whorns look like whiners, not winners, and losing 39-33 to the third team in the tiebreaker was their downfall, not the polls. If they won that game, they'd be in. But alas, there are other things besides Crabtree that took away this argument's credibility -- the "neutral field" is in the state of Texas and the "double digit" was exactly that - 10 points, certainly not the same as a double-digit 65-13 victory! The argument was ultimately "settled on a neutral computer."

Option B: 2008*
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/127991/big12champs.jpg
The list of Big 12 titles at UT's football facilities was noticed by the media after the fact, and immediately made national headlines. Laughed off by many as more Texas whining, :mack: said it was a mistake and 2008* was immediately removed. Texas is still sometimes referred to unaffectionately as "texasterisk" because of this.

Option C: "You can only win with our players."

Often countered with "YOU only won with a former OU All-American as your coach," (except for Vince in 05) all except one of our five Heisman winners are from Oklahoma and it doesn't speak well for Texas recruiting if they choose to cross the Red River. And the thought of UT and other Texas-based schools having custody and ownership of players from the state is kind of silly. Why is it that AD and other top Texas state recruits choose OU? Well, they have an explanation for that too...

Option D: "Cheater cheater cheater!"

Nobody in their right mind - OU fan or UT fan - can say with a clean conscience that UT isn't as guilty of cheating, caught by the NCAA or not, as OU. But, I guess it helps them sleep at night that if they lose a recruit, and have a few less conference titles and national titles, at least THEY didn't cheat to get such-and-so. Riiiiight.

Option E: "We lead in the head-to-head!"

Which head-to-head? The single conference game in a 12-game regular season? It certainly isn't Big 12 titles or national titles or Heismans or All-Americans or winning streak games or many other things. Is it the number of students that attend your university? OK, you win the head-to-head :P

deweydw
5/19/2011, 10:48 AM
"You can only win with our players." That's just plain stupid.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/19/2011, 11:00 AM
Was looking for the "All of the above" option but, I had to go with "You can only win with our players."

NMSooner'80
5/19/2011, 11:11 AM
You could make a good case for "All of the Above." But I voted for "Cheater, Cheater, Cheater" - because I grew up close enough to Texas to hear that crap all the time out of the UT-homers in the Dallas media.

It was so bad in the 70's that some dimwit from the now-defunct Dallas Times-Herald wrote a "what if" piece about how good Texas would have been if he'd gone to Texas. It's been widely reported that Billy never even considered them. He was originally from St. Louis and lived in a part of Texas that was much closer to Norman and Fayetteville than it is to Austin.

badger
5/19/2011, 11:16 AM
I chose 2008* because of how silly and unheard of it was. Only Texas, only :mack:, could come up with something so petty. They totally deserved what happened to them in 2010. Let's give them round 2 in 2011 :D

JLEW1818
5/19/2011, 11:22 AM
i hate whorns

Cornfed
5/19/2011, 11:27 AM
Its allways conveinient to blame others for your shortcomings.

deweydw
5/19/2011, 11:29 AM
I chose 2008* because of how silly and unheard of it was. Only Texas, only :mack:, could come up with something so petty. They totally deserved what happened to them in 2010. Let's give them round 2 in 2011 :D

Will the Pokes have a 2010*?

badger
5/19/2011, 11:39 AM
Will the Pokes have a 2010*?

Maybe Texas A&M should, since they also beat both teams in the 2010 championship game but yet were unfairly left out of the title game and totally wronged :rcmad:

:rolleyes:

JLEW1818
5/19/2011, 11:40 AM
aggie women won the national title... they are now back for good in football too

:D

meoveryouxinfinity
5/19/2011, 11:41 AM
oops, i thought this was MOST* clout. so i voted head to head.

oudavid1
5/19/2011, 11:41 AM

Yeah, because there OUrs. :D

The Maestro
5/19/2011, 11:48 AM
They do have overall, even though I yawn at that since a lot of that was during dark times...who cares about last year? I don't.

They did beat us on a neutral field by double digits. Sure, we took care of business and they blew it against Tech, so **** happens. We earned it, but they did beat us and I hated it.

But to say we win with our players...well, look at it this way. Texas has two Heisman winners. Half of those are from California...did USC, San Diego State, UCLA or Stanford ever say to Texas, "You only win with our players!" Sounds stupid...as the whorns argument is.

OU Engineer
5/19/2011, 12:08 PM
Man these are all pretty weak.

I voted "You win with our players" mainly because of sam, jermaine, ryan, etc. etc....

Not to mention the Las Vegas and now CaliSwag crews...

Bourbon St Sooner
5/19/2011, 12:26 PM
Does cheater cheater cheater encompass dirt burglar as well, because that's my favorite?

SoonerPride
5/19/2011, 12:39 PM
I voted for "OU wins with our players."

It's the lamest argument in my mind (though 2008* was close) but we've heard this one lame argument forever and and will hear it forever more so it wins.

I always reply "they might be texicans by birth, but they're Sooners by choice." :)

sooner518
5/19/2011, 12:43 PM
They're all idiotic arguments, and easily defeated with a little logic. My favorite is the head to head because it's such a decidedly stupid, and ultimately Aggie argument. It is essentially a UT fan admitting that the mark of a better football program is beating their biggest rival, not winning conference or national titles. If they want to admit that, then I guess they can, but that's basically what everyone accuses Aggie and Aggy of doing.

OUmillenium
5/19/2011, 01:20 PM
5-7 = HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ...

badger
5/19/2011, 01:24 PM
Keep the argument going! I like some of the retorts I'm reading to these common Texcuses :D

I would have included "If Colt would've played," but that wasn't about OU. :)

PS: For those of you that are new, right after the 2008* news, every time "Mack," "Colt," or "Texas" were typed into a post, sf.com automatically switched the text to "Mack*," "Colt*" and "Texas*." This got bad for linkage and image purposes so it was discontinued after several months of fun. I personally started misspelling the words to avoid the asterisk or just for fun. I have to throw a "Macc Braun" reference every so often just in remembrance of the asterisk era of sf.com

bmjlr
5/19/2011, 01:33 PM
Had to go with 2008*...freaking lame. With clapper as head coach, it doesn's shock me.

badger
5/19/2011, 01:36 PM
In honor of the crappy season that just kept getting crappier --- photographic memories of 5-7 on the fark board here. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144981&highlight=texas)

silverwheels
5/19/2011, 01:36 PM
Most non-Sooner fans from Texas (especially Horn fans) don't even realize that each of OU's national champion teams had a majority of Oklahoma kids on the roster. 2000's roster was 60% Oklahomans.

texaspokieokie
5/19/2011, 05:03 PM
OU would have few,if any of their MNC titles if it weren't for recruiting in tx.

texaspokieokie
5/19/2011, 05:04 PM
Most non-Sooner fans from Texas (especially Horn fans) don't even realize that each of OU's national champion teams had a majority of Oklahoma kids on the roster. 2000's roster was 60% Oklahomans.

check the present roster & see if it's 60% Okies.

SoonerofAlabama
5/19/2011, 05:07 PM
I voted for 2008. All of those points are brought by Texans at any point during conversation.

silverwheels
5/19/2011, 05:45 PM
check the present roster & see if it's 60% Okies.

It's probably not. And we haven't won a title since the last time the roster was 60% Okies. Food for thought.

PLaw
5/19/2011, 05:56 PM

And, their greatest coach without question was a Wilkinson product from Hominy.

Boomer!

SoonerBread
5/19/2011, 06:51 PM
And, their greatest coach without question was a Wilkinson product from Hominy.

Boomer!

Hollis.

And Sooner!

Mississippi Sooner
5/19/2011, 07:44 PM
OU wins with our players has to be the oldest one, and is completely absurd, no doubt. I voted for the * though, because they really made themselves a laughingstock all over the country with that one.

Sooner_Tuf
5/19/2011, 08:42 PM
They don't have an argument, only penis-envy.

bixby28
5/19/2011, 08:45 PM

It's very stupid. If these players were "Texas' players" then they would have committed to the 'horns. It's a ridiculous thing to say as if these HS players were UT property in the first place.

goingoneight
5/19/2011, 08:59 PM
I say the whole pointing fingers and calling us cheaters argument. It takes an arrogant and ignorant fool to believe that the Texas empire doesn't have a few skeletons in their closet. No crooked boosters who just BADLY want that top-rated quarterback to sign? No players sneaking around and finding ways to bend the NCAA rules? No single, young player from a rough lifestyle has ever accepted a $500 handshake? No place of employment has ever looked the other way while an athlete gets something others don't? Vince Young could honestly get anything other than drool on his ACT to come to UT? Come on...

goingoneight
5/19/2011, 09:02 PM
Oh, and Derrick Strait, Quentin Griffin and Mark Clayton called... they heard nothing of UT kicking in their doors to get them to Austin. We're only talking about three All-Americans.

Oh, and "Sam Bradford seems like he sucks" because he played on a bad high school team.

Oh, and 5-7. :P

tcrb
5/19/2011, 09:42 PM
Looks like I voted with the majority (at least at this point). Never could understand how they figured we won with "their" players since the guys playing for us made a choice to wear crimson instead of that ugly baby sh*t color that "their" players wear.

soonerloyal
5/20/2011, 09:04 AM
"But...but...we're TEXAS..."

pweitkem
5/20/2011, 11:33 AM
We finally got rid of the assistant coaches that caused all those fumbles, holes in the offensive line, interceptions and missed tackles.

badger
5/20/2011, 11:40 AM
We finally got rid of the assistant coaches that caused all those fumbles, holes in the offensive line, interceptions and missed tackles.

Good one, but that's not related to OU :D

Now, if you could re-word it a little, to something like "We'll beat Mobilehoma with the Statue of Liberty by the coach with the Statue of Liberty play" then I might give you partial credit on your assignment ;)

GKeeper316
5/20/2011, 12:32 PM
"we lead the head to head"

i love this one... * has the edge all time. sure. they can have it, cuz who gives a **** about the leatherhead era when half your opponents were local high school teams. since the modern era started (post ww2) sooners dominate.

badger
5/20/2011, 12:46 PM
Was looking for the "All of the above" option but, I had to go with "You can only win with our players."

I worry that "all of the above" on many of these poll ideas would be the far-popular option in most of these, so I make you all choose one if you are to vote at all :D

A weekend of voting ahead, then a new poll on Monday.

agoo758
5/20/2011, 12:59 PM
ouble digit victory settled on a neutral field" 5 5.88%
2008* 10 11.76%
"You can only win with our players." 46 54.12%
"Cheater cheater cheater!" 11 12.94%
"We lead in the head-to-head!" 10 11.76%
Write-in (please explain below

Argument 1: At least this one has some truth to it except that it is trumped by all of the arguments in our favor. Simply put, if you want to go to the National Championship, stop playing Florida Atlantic in November.

Arugments 2 and 4: for a group that claims to be so much more damn smarter than us sure has a lot of trouble moving beyond the "throwing food" level of a one year old in a high chair.

Argument 3: LOL.... This myth has already been debunked ten times over. Sure, we get our share of recruits from the STATE of texas (and no, I don't EVER capitalize te*as), but they sure as hell don't belong to the UNIVERSITY of Texas, last time I checked, you weren't allowed to "own" anybody for the last century and a half. Fact of the matter is, what does that say about the University when athletes from that state pass on the opportunity to attend the university and leave the state instead? What does it also say about the Sooners passing * way the **** up in terms of tradition? Simply put, the best players in texas choose to go to Oklahoma while * is stuck with the players who have no choice.

Argument 5: Of course. You guys started with all of the wealth and resources that is offered in Austin and OU has had to build themselves from the ground up in a middle of nowhere town in Oklahoma, and despite that, we have twice the tradition as those jerks in that stupid-*** state which I won't even mention again. And seriously? Who cares about the god damn record? What's more important, the fact that they beat us 80 years ago? Or the fact that they can't beat us now?

Did I mention that I hate everything that is texas?

agoo758
5/20/2011, 01:04 PM
OU would have few,if any of their MNC titles if it weren't for recruiting in tx.

No one is arguing against that, but that doesn't make them better, it makes them worse considering the fact that recruits are willing to LEAVE the state to play football.