American Dark Lager
http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TopBeersByStyle.asp?StyleID=36

Munich Dunkel
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/46

Schwartzbier
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/31

OhU1
5/19/2011, 09:36 AM
Not my favorite style but a nice beer for a hot day or when I want something a little more mellow. To me Dark Lager is a great session beer for the backyard BBQ or ballgame. However I know several Bud beer drinkers who think "dark beer" is pretty radical and heavy. These folks may need a better quality light lager as their session beer.

I like an occassional Negra Model. I haven't tried the German versions in awile. I'll probably grab some for a hot weekend soon.

delhalew
5/19/2011, 09:45 AM
Not my favorite style but a nice beer for a hot day or when I want something a little more mellow. To me Dark Lager is a great session beer for the backyard BBQ or ballgame. However I know several Bud beer drinkers who think "dark beer" is pretty radical and heavy. These folks may need a better quality light lager as their session beer.

I like an occassional Negra Model. I haven't tried the German versions in awile. I'll probably grab some for a hot weekend soon.

Few people who drink Shined Bock, know it is really a dark lager, not a Bock.

For me, the saving grace of this style is the Munich Dunkel. A Dunkel is a very special beer, and without a doubt, my favorite German beer.

Mjcpr
5/19/2011, 09:45 AM
I like an occassional Negra Model.

Have you been in any Walmart or cheap insurance ads?

sooner_born_1960
5/19/2011, 09:52 AM
What is a "session beer"?

delhalew
5/19/2011, 09:59 AM

A beer low enough in alcohol to drink over a period of time, without getting drunk enough to get in trouble. Think 3 to 4.5 abv.

It is said that the term comes from the days when workers would drink heavily throughout the day. Remember, people used to drink beer instead of water, as it was safer.

OhU1
5/19/2011, 10:21 AM

A beer you can can drink 6-8 of while shooting the bull with a group of friends. Generally Pale Ales and most lagers fit this category well.

Another reason these somewhat lesser beers are good for these group sessions I noticed is that you tend to drink faster while socializing. Also you tend not to be as focused on savoring the beer quality so why waste the good beers for these occassions?

delhalew
5/19/2011, 10:42 AM
Here is a much better definition of "session beer" than my attempt.
http://beeradvocate.com/articles/653

delhalew
5/19/2011, 04:38 PM
The best Mexican beer around is a Mexican version of a Munich Dunkel.
http://johnniepatterson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Negra+Modelo+blog.jpg

AlboSooner
5/19/2011, 04:42 PM
where can you buy munich dunkel?

OhU1
5/19/2011, 04:47 PM
The best Mexican beer around is a Mexican version of a Munich Dunkel.

Aha! I was not clear on the Munich Dunkel style. Now I at least have a reference in Negra Modelo.

delhalew
5/19/2011, 04:47 PM
where can you buy munich dunkel?

No offense, but I feel like you have to be ****ing with me right now.

AlboSooner
5/19/2011, 04:49 PM
No offense, but I feel like you have to be ****ing with me right now.

no dude. I want to know do you go at 7-11 types stores, or do you have to go to a liquor store.

delhalew
5/19/2011, 04:56 PM
Aha! I was not clear on the Munich Dunkel style. Now I at least have a reference in Negra Modelo.

Well that's an odd reference, because it's all Mexicany. All the German breweries make a Dunkel. I like Ayinger. Warsteiner is pretty good.

delhalew
5/19/2011, 05:02 PM
no dude. I want to know do you go at 7-11 types stores, or do you have to go to a liquor store.

Well there is no location under your avi, but if you live in Oklahoma, liquor store. Anywhere else, you might find some at the grocery store. Read the links in the first post for examples.

OhU1
5/19/2011, 05:04 PM
Well that's an odd reference, because it's all Mexicany. All the German breweries make a Dunkel. I like Ayinger. Warsteiner is pretty good.

Got ya, I need to do more homework on this style. I'll cross taste the Modelo with one of the main German brewhouse versions to get a feel for the difference.

delhalew
5/19/2011, 05:08 PM
Would you believe Shiner also makes a Schwartzbier? A friend brought some over and I drank it happily. I can't tell you what it tastes like because I was already hammered.

http://thatotherpaper.com/files/shiner_bohemian_black.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
5/19/2011, 05:33 PM
Would you believe Shiner also makes a Schwartzbier? A friend brought some over and I drank it happily. I can't tell you what it tastes like because I was already hammered.

It's actually a decent attempt. A little thin and the malt doesn't make as strong a presence as in the German offerings, but not bad at all. Not to knock it, but it ain't Kostritzer.

Shiner went on a kick where they brewed a specialty every year. Don't know if they still do, but they do a Helles lager that's the tits.

NormanPride
5/19/2011, 05:48 PM
Their smoked beer is pretty damn awesome.

OhU1
5/19/2011, 06:25 PM

It looks good.

I have no doubt that Bud/Coors/Miller and the Shiners of the world are staffed with professional brewers who could brew great beers if they were allowed to by the corporate office.

Sam Adams for example makes mostly good but ordinary beers for the larger market. But when Sam Adams wants to brew a big beer they can contend with the best. SA Millennium is 20% and $200 a bottle - and supposedly very special (but how many people will ever get the opportunity to taste it and confirm for themselves?)

delhalew
5/19/2011, 06:48 PM
It looks good.

I have no doubt that Bud/Coors/Miller and the Shiners of the world are staffed with professional brewers who could brew great beers if they were allowed to by the corporate office.

Sam Adams for example makes mostly good but ordinary beers for the larger market. But when Sam Adams wants to brew a big beer they can contend with the best. SA Millennium is 20% and $200 a bottle - and supposedly very special (but how many people will ever get the opportunity to taste it and confirm for themselves?)

Even though my pallet was blown, the Shiner Black had it's merits. It was. What you might expect from a black lager. Very crisp and clean, with a slight roasty character. It was just fine. I'm sure it Palestine next to the Schwartzbier that TF mentioned, but that stands to reason. I'll bet the Shiner is a great gateway to dark beers.

Fact is, I'm just an ale guy. In general, lagers are to clean for me, but I can appreciate them.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/19/2011, 08:57 PM
Even though my pallet was blown, the Shiner Black had it's merits. It was. What you might expect from a black lager. Very crisp and clean, with a slight roasty character. It was just fine. I'm sure it Palestine next to the Schwartzbier that TF mentioned, but that stands to reason. I'll bet the Shiner is a great gateway to dark beers.

Fact is, I'm just an ale guy. In general, lagers are to clean for me, but I can appreciate them.

That's the beauty of a black lager. I'm the exact opposite in that I like a beer to really pop but be clean enough to not stomp around on your tongue like a jackbooted thug for an hour after you drink it.

OhU1
5/19/2011, 09:07 PM

I have the same "problem".

After 20 years of drinking nothing but lager I discovered ale. There is no return.

GDC
5/19/2011, 09:11 PM
http://kenlenard.webs.com/photos/Acapulco-2009-2010/P1030676.JPG

Jammin'
5/19/2011, 09:49 PM

Agreed. Having a 1554 Black Ale from New Belgium as I type this. Nothing to complain about here. Cheers!

delhalew
5/19/2011, 10:05 PM
Agreed. Having a 1554 Black Ale from New Belgium as I type this. Nothing to complain about here. Cheers!

I just stopped at a bar for a couple of brews in Colorado and had a 1554. I didn't even know what I was ordering. Pretty Damn good.

delhalew
5/19/2011, 10:07 PM
That's the beauty of a black lager. I'm the exact opposite in that I like a beer to really pop but be clean enough to not stomp around on your tongue like a jackbooted thug for an hour after you drink it.

Lmao. Well put. I like my tongue to be abused like the naughty little bitch that it is...:eek:

OhU1
5/19/2011, 11:30 PM
I need to stay out of these beer threads during the work week - all this talk about beer just makes me want 2 or 3! I have to wait until the weekend to indulge in beer for weight loss reasons. :(

I did break down and have a Big Foot, a Wee Heavy, a Russian Imperial Stout, and an ESB on Tuesday :D

MeMyself&Me
5/20/2011, 07:39 AM
I did break down and have a Big Foot, a Wee Heavy, a Russian Imperial Stout, and an ESB on Tuesday :D

Wow! That's heavy duty there. Not that I don't do the same from time to time.

I'm not a big fan of dark lagers in general. Most come off fairly one dimensional to me for such a dark beer but I wouldn't say they're undrinkable swill or anything. Having said that, Negra Modelo is the only decent beer to be had at just about any Mexican restaurant or when south of the border.

Also, I think Negra Modelo is more in line with this substyle which isn't part of the style that referenced in the OP but probably splitting hairs:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style03.php#1a

delhalew
5/20/2011, 08:23 AM
I need to stay out of these beer threads during the work week - all this talk about beer just makes me want 2 or 3! I have to wait until the weekend to indulge in beer for weight loss reasons. :(

I almost never get to have a beer during the week. That's pretty good for a Tuesday!

Jammin'
5/20/2011, 08:51 AM

My key to weekday drinking without weight gain is not to drink 4! Hahaha. Just kidding OhU. Well, sorta. I had the one 1554 at the start of the 2nd half last night. I read a little about it on one of the sites delalew posted on here as I drank it. My kinda night.

tonight however, is the weekend, so all bets are off.

OhU1
5/20/2011, 09:40 AM
My key to weekday drinking without weight gain is not to drink 4!

LOL I know it. I'm not someone who ever drinks just 1 beer. So I have to be pretty strict and wait until the weekend. Too many calories when you like the kind of beer that I do.

Needless to say on Wednesday morning my scale did not fail to notice what I had been up to the previous night. I did have a good run on Wednesday night though - stored beer energy! :D

delhalew
5/20/2011, 09:49 AM
Beer is food.