PDA

View Full Version : The National Debt Ceiling

StoopTroup
5/19/2011, 12:24 AM
So....

The reason we won't default until August 2nd is because Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is suspending investments into Federal Retirement Funds so the Government can continue to borrow money to pay the bills that Congress has already signed.

So...

We are taking the money out of old people's pensions to pay for it....

It's good to know that Congress is working hard to find a solution. I wonder if it affects their pensions and benefits?

CrimsonCream
5/19/2011, 08:11 AM

No surprise here. The politicians also robbed Social Security.

Social Security is funded through 2037. Trouble is there is no money there inasmuch as the politicians took it and left behind IOUs.

Why do they call it a Debt Ceiling when in fact the politicians keep raising it?

oudanny
5/19/2011, 08:42 AM
Why don't we just start selling naming rights to our national assets to raise funds. You know, it could be the Warren Buffet Family White House or the Nancy Pelosi Lincoln Memorial. I'll bet we could raise so much money that all of us could quit working and live off of the government.

delhalew
5/19/2011, 09:00 AM
We take in a ****load of money. We have a spending problem.

CrimsonCream
5/19/2011, 09:57 AM
We take in a ****load of money. We have a spending problem.

Exactly correct.

Scumbag speaks out of both sides of his sleazy mouth. He talks about the need to reduce the deficit (of which he increased by $5 trillion in two years) but won't reduce spending.

soonercruiser
5/19/2011, 11:20 AM
So....

The reason we won't default until August 2nd is because Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is suspending investments into Federal Retirement Funds so the Government can continue to borrow money to pay the bills that Congress has already signed.

So...

It's good to know that Congress is working hard to find a solution. I wonder if it affects their pensions and benefits?

So, no chance he & Obama can find any spending cuts?
Maybe even delay implementation of Oamacare?
:rolleyes:

CrimsonCream
5/19/2011, 11:25 AM
Maybe even delay implementation of Oamacare?

I would rather of had the energy (no pun intended) and money spent on a comprehensive National Energy Plan instead of the corrupt ObamaCare bought with bribes, threats, kickbacks, etc.

If ObamaCare is so fantastic then why has there been given over 1,300 waivers and the corrupt Unions exempt?

Scumbag makes Carter look like a great President. Carter's fault was that he was just inept. Scumbag also is inept but morally corrupt.

delhalew
5/19/2011, 11:29 AM
I would rather of had the energy (no pun intended) and money spent on a comprehensive National Energy Plan instead of the corrupt ObamaCare bought with bribes, threats, kickbacks, etc.

If ObamaCare is so fantastic then why has there been given over 1,300 waivers and the corrupt Unions exempt?

Scumbag makes Carter look like a great President. Carter's fault was that he was just inept. Scumbag also is inept but morally corrupt.

I'll have you know we are heavily invested in Brazil's biggest energy company, which George Soros owns a paltry million shares. We are even giving them permits to drill off our shores.

Don't you try to say this administration is anti-energy. He only opposes domestically produced energy.

bigfatjerk
5/19/2011, 11:32 AM
Didn't it come out recently that our medicare system won't be funded after something like 15 years? And Social Security is going to last maybe 20 or was it 25? I bet these projections are probably the nice ones too.. If we continue to punt on these issues then we'll be following a path to where medicare and social security will no longer exist because they can't be funded.

delhalew
5/19/2011, 11:36 AM
Didn't it come out recently that our medicare system won't be funded after something like 15 years? And Social Security is going to last maybe 20 or was it 25? I bet these projections are probably the nice ones too.. If we continue to punt on these issues then we'll be following a path to where medicare and social security will no longer exist because they can't be funded.

We have to blame our own selfish, weak, and stupid citizens for crying like little babies every time someone attempts to address the problem, when it comes to that one.

MR2-Sooner86
5/19/2011, 11:51 AM
If we would've followed our Social Security model after Chile's and allowed worker's to invest their money into private accounts, we'd be so much better off.

The bad thing is politicians don't like it because that's less money for them to blow. Also, whenever somebody mentions it they scream "They're wanting to make old people sleep on the streets" and the idiots buy it hook, line, and sinker.

There is no real change because people buy the fear, doom, and gloom the politicians tells them and they eat it up. This can be seen with the Fair Tax and all the crazy things floating around about it.

Remember "Stimulus II" and if we didn't pass it we'd be in another depression and unemployment would rise to 10% but if we passed it we'd never go above 8% and we'd save the economy? Yeah...

CrimsonCream
5/19/2011, 11:57 AM
We have to blame our own selfish, weak, and stupid citizens for crying like little babies every time someone attempts to address the problem, when it comes to that one.

Yes.

The problem is twofold.

Spineless and gutless politicians whose goal is to be reelected. Why won't Scumbag protect Arizona's border? Don'twant to p*ss off the Hispanics and lose their votes. Why exempt the corrupt Unions from ObamaCare? Scumbag needs their election money.

Then, as delhalew says, it is a Me, Me society. Most people want something for nothing and no equally shared sacrifice. 51% of American are getting a Government check each month now.

I would hate to fight WWII with the politicians and citizenry we have today.

As far as Social Security goes, I tell you what. Go ahead and take it away but pay me for what I've put in plus interest.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/19/2011, 12:39 PM
Scandalous! Our gov't workers now may have to work past the age of 52! This is outrageous!

soonercruiser
5/19/2011, 12:43 PM
Scandalous! Our gov't workers now may have to work past the age of 52! This is outrageous!

And, those on welfare still don't have to work at all!

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 02:22 PM
51% of American are getting a Government check each month now.

I'm not going to say you are wrong but where did you get that number?

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 02:23 PM
Also....I'm gonna make a little prediction.

To avoid a depression.....the Debt Ceiling will be raised.

soonercruiser
5/22/2011, 03:27 PM
And....I'm gonna make a little prediction.

If the debt ceiling is raised, it will only be with significant spending cuts.
Not "promises"! Spending Cuts!

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 03:31 PM
And....I'm gonna make a little prediction.

If the debt ceiling is raised, it will only be with significant spending cuts.
Not "promises"! Spending Cuts!

Well....lets all hope it's a 40% cut across the board over time instead of a political fight over what the hell they spend the dough on. If anything get's cut completely...right now...I'd be for cutting Pakistan off at the knees and let them get all their money from their friends in China they are talking so proudly about.

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 03:33 PM
Just saw a story where Taliban just hit a Police Station and are calling their movements..."The Taliban Spring".

I love all this talk about Seasons. I hope we continue to press the Afghans to get rid of the Taliban's Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter....

General Petraeus ought to run for POTUS IMO.

http://www.theamericaspostes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/general-petraeus.jpg