PDA

View Full Version : The Bowls: Silly Extravagance or Worthwhile Tradition?

SoCal
5/18/2011, 11:32 AM
http://www.thewizofodds.com/the_wiz_of_odds/2011/05/bowl-games-silly-extravagance-or-worthwhile-tradition.html

If interested in the graphs for this story click on link above.

When the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) announced matchups for its five games last December, the Fiesta Bowl was handed the biggest clunker of them all — Connecticut vs. Oklahoma.

But Fiesta officials never had to worry about monetary risk because they were handing off the financial burden to the Huskies and Sooners.

Each team, as part of the agreement to play in the Glendale, Ariz., game, had to purchase 17,500 tickets with a face value between $105 and $235.

Combined, Connecticut and Oklahoma sold only 8,338 of their allotted 35,000 tickets. That left the schools and their conferences on the hook for a jaw-dropping $5.14 million in "absorbed" tickets — or tickets that go unsold to the public or have to be purchased by the university for use by staff, families of players, coaches and even the band.

Last season marked a record 35 bowl games and nearly every game required teams to purchase a minimum number of tickets. Teams, in search of prestige, never hesitate to take on the financial burden.

It is a system that pays dividends not only for the bowls — seven of which are owned and operated by ESPN — but coaches and administrators who get bonuses because their teams played in the postseason. The losers are many, including athletic departments, students who help fund the program through fees, taxpayers, and fans who desire a Division I-A playoff.

The Wiz of Odds recently obtained expense reports for 56 of the 70 teams participating in bowl games last season. The data was obtained through public records requests. The 14 schools that did not provide information are either private or cited statutes allowing them to keep information off limits to the public.

Based on the average expense for 56 teams multiplied by 70, The Wiz of Odds is providing a profile for a bowl team:
•On average, a team spent $1.31 million on a bowl trip. Of that amount, $321,422 went to cover costs for absorbed tickets.
•The 70 teams combined to run up expenses of $92.09 million.
•Totaled, teams spent $22.49 million on absorbed tickets, nearly 25 percent of their overall expenses.
•The average number of people in an official travel party was 568. That encompasses the team, coaching staff, band, cheerleaders, faculty, and athletics department personnel.

This is the most comprehensive examination of bowl game expense reports to date. All of the data collected — expense reports for 56 teams and bowl surveys for 40 teams — will be posted on The Wiz of Odds in the coming days.

Supporters of the 35-game bowl system argue that the postseason turns a profit. Technically, this is correct, but only because of the BCS, which this season distributed a reported $174.07 million from its five games. Of that amount, 83.4 percent went to the automatic qualifier conferences — the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pacific 10 and Southeastern conferences.

The 30 non-BCS bowl games are, at best, a break-even venture. Without the ticket guarantee, it is likely that half the bowls would not exist.

"[Division I-A] needs a football playoff, just like all other NCAA sports," said Andrew Zimbalist, a professor of economics at Smith College in Mass.

"The bowl games are all a silly extravagance, and, save the BCS cartel, all significant money drains on athletic programs already in the red. The fact that a participating school has to buy up over 300k in tickets to its own game is as clear an indication as you can get that these competitions have no market justification."

Athletic departments could certainly use the money. A NCAA study revealed that in the 2008-2009 academic year, all but 14 of the 120 I-A programs were operating at a deficit. Of the 106 in the red, the median shortfall was $11 million.

But nobody seems intent on challenging the bowl system, even if the system requires a subsidy from teams in the form of ticket guarantees.

To make matters worse, how much money does a team forfeit by playing a neutral site bowl game? Ohio State, which traveled to the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, reported the biggest "profit" — $288,876 — of all bowl teams last season. That total included $222,410 in absorbed tickets.

Compare that to Oklahoma, which played a 2009 regular season game against Brigham Young in Arlington, Texas, the first ever college game in Cowboys Stadium. The Sooners were paid $2.25 million for their appearance.

More teams like Oklahoma are eager to cash in on neutral site games. Boise State and Virginia Tech played last September in Landover, Md. Louisiana State and North Carolina opened 2010 in Atlanta. In 2007, Missouri and Kansas moved their annual game to Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium, which has a larger capacity (79,451) than either the Jayhawks' Memorial Stadium (50,000) or the Tigers' Faurot Field (71,004). The game was a smashing success and, four years later, appears to have found a permanent home at Arrowhead.

"Until we fill Memorial Stadium," Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger said, "we can’t really afford to pull it back. Until then, we need the revenue."

While athletic directors cite financial issues as the reason to play regular season games at a neutral site, they look the other way when it comes to a bowl game. Instead, the narrative is spun to accentuate the benefits of playing in the postseason — visibility for the program, an increase in alumni contributions and, in some cases, a boost in enrollment. Yet, all of these factors are nearly impossible to quantify.

Some teams are so desperate to play in the postseason they are willing to wave the listed payout for a game. The book, Death to the BCS by Dan Wetzel, Josh Peter and Jeff Passan chronicled how the Motor City Bowl bartered with several teams seeking an invitation to the 2008 game.

Florida Atlantic eventually was invited after agreeing to wave the Detroit bowl's listed payout of $750,000 in exchange for tickets it could never sell.

The bottom line is that everything is negotiable, including a bowl’s listed payout.

Not all the information on expense reports is reliable. One category that stood out was expense allowance from the conference. Utah did not list an allowance from the Mountain West. Georgia ($90,400), Mississippi State ($111,000) and Alabama ($113,000) had figures far below the norm for teams from the Southeastern Conference under the league's bowl revenue distribution policy.

Allowances also don't include what teams are paid once the league divides shares of revenue from bowl payouts. The Wiz of Odds' study did not involve expense allowances because of these factors. Instead, the decision was made to keep a focus on tickets absorbed and total expenses — categories that were reported accurately.

Nonetheless, the data had to be combed through painstakingly because some teams engaged in blatant deceitful accounting practices in reporting tickets absorbed.

Oklahoma, for example, did not include the cost of tickets absorbed by the Big 12 in total expenses, even though the NCAA asks all schools to do so. The difference was substantial — $1.88 million.

That changed Oklahoma’s total expenses from $1.84 million to $3.73 million.

Iowa reported data one way to the NCAA and told the public another story. Its report to the NCAA listed $442,525 in costs for absorbed tickets, including $361,171 that was picked up by the Big Ten.

But when the school released a final report on May 5, it failed to include the $361,171. So the school, which fell 6,745 short of selling its allotment of tickets to the Insight Bowl, magically reported a surplus of $382,500. The creative accounting seemingly made Iowa the most profitable team of the postseason, besting Ohio State’s $288,876 return on the Sugar Bowl.

When asked about the change, Iowa sent a detailed response that included this:

"The NCAA requests the number of unsold tickets absorbed by the conference and depicts the entire amount as an expense in their respective report. Every conference treats unsold tickets differently, and the byproduct is misleading reports when the NCAA enforces a universal reporting template."

But in the end, all of the money for the Big Ten comes into and out of the same pot because the league divides not only its bowl revenue, but expenses in 11 equal shares.

There were other not so subtle tweaks. Alabama, for example, included $1.10 million in staff bonuses, one of the reasons the Crimson Tide ran up a staggering $2.91 million in total expenses for the Capital One Bowl. Something Alabama did not include was the cost to upgrade facilities at Orlando’s Dr. Phillips High, where the team practiced in preparation for the game.

Alabama received criticism for the upgrades after it was revealed the team was recruiting defensive back Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix and running back Demetrius Hart from the school, two players it eventually signed.

Teams like Iowa did not include bonuses, even though the Hawkeye coaching staff collected $494,861.

But teams, in an attempt to make the bottom line look better, generally didn’t include bonuses. Thus, the summary for total expenses is, in reality, less than what teams actually spent.

As for the taxpayers' role, consider that seven bowls received more than $21.6 million in government aid between 2001-05, according to Mark Yost, author of Varsity Green. In 2009, many of the financial institutions that sponsor bowl games, like Citigroup Inc., which presented the Rose Bowl and BCS title game, Capital One Financial Corp., and GMAC LLS were recipients of federal bailout money.

Over 80 percent of the teams that played in bowls were from public universities. Either directly or indirectly, taxpayers helped foot the bill for football. At Connecticut, over $92 million in public funds were used to build Rentschler Field, which opened in 2003.

Connecticut now faces a $3.2 billion budget shortfall and lawmakers are scrambling to balance the books. A recent round of austerity measures included a cut of $25 million and likely loss of 285 jobs at the University of Connecticut. Including the $25 million cut, the university is facing a deficit of $45 million.

In response, Connecticut announced a plan to hike tuition in the fall by 2.5 percent.

It makes subsidizing a bowl game in a state having no benefit to the team's local economy — something Connecticut did in January — seem crazy.

Starting Wednesday: A look at team expense reports.

crackback
5/18/2011, 12:57 PM
Bowls suck

SoonerPride
5/18/2011, 01:08 PM
The players disagree.
The coaches disagree.
The university presidents disagree.

Expect the bowls to continue for your lifetime.

crackback
5/18/2011, 01:17 PM
You agree they suck though right?

SoonerPride
5/18/2011, 01:20 PM

As an attendee to many bowl games and the subsequent week long vacation that surrounds bowl trips, no, I'm sorry, I think bowl games are awesome.

Wouldn't want a stupid post-season tournament in college football.

No sale.

badger
5/18/2011, 01:21 PM
The players disagree.
The coaches disagree.
The university presidents disagree.

Expect the bowls to continue for your lifetime.

The players love to go on a mini-vacation with NCAA-allowed gifts included around the holidays, usually to a tourist stop location.

The coaches need bowls to have something to hang their hat on at the end of the season, giving prestige and recognition to their program on a national level.

The university presidents' sole purpose in bowls is to limit the college football season to a January endtime and to have time available for students to take final exams for the fall semester.

Absolutely none of these reasons make the college game better. I love letting the players have a vacation, but that's what the offseason is for, not the postseason. Coaches shouldn't need dinky bowl games to give them an inflated sense of worth. University presidents will get over a schedule change if it is for the greater good.

And the greater good is... a system of more integrity and less guesswork to determine a champion, better fairness/openness/availability to all D-1 (FBS) teams for a change at a title if they've earned it... and more money to foster sport growth, safety and competition through improved facilities, NCAA oversight, blah blah blah and maybe a little for the student-side of student-athlete.

yermom
5/18/2011, 01:25 PM
i happen to enjoy attending and watching bowl games

why should bonuses be included in bowl costs?

SoonerPride
5/18/2011, 01:29 PM
How is the off-season a reward to the players?
They work out the whole time.

The bowls ARE their reward.

Having 35 bowl games allows 35 teams to end the season on winning note.

Even though our last two bowl games weren't part of some post-season tournament I sure like the way it feels to end the season on a winning note.

And the ho-haw about college presidents and tests is nonsense. They like the system because it pays huge dividends for the schools (even those that have to buy up tickets). If it weren't financially to their best interest, they would change it to something else.

And saying an expanded post-season tournament would be more transparent/fair etc. is also nonsense. You still have to seed the field. You would still use a combination of polls and computers to rank the teams whether it was 4 or 8 or 64. Or worse, you'd have a committee meet behind closed doors decide the field.

As I said earlier, you can close your eyes and click your heels together three times and wish out loud all you want, but the BCS and bowl games aren't going anywhere.

badger
5/18/2011, 01:33 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, I attended every OU bowl game from Cotton through Holiday. I can say that without saying the years, because we only went those those Texas-tier bowls once each :D

I loved every bowl trip, except the ones we lost.

The way I see it, a playoff would be like attending up to four (or five?) bowl games in one season instead of one.

For those that could do it, that would be one hell of a college football postseason! For those that can only afford one trip, you'd get to pick the one to go to, perhaps waiting out, hoping to go to a later round game, or for your favorite location on the schedule? Or, whichever one fits your travel and time budget.

Man, If I could have gone from Dallas, to Pasadena, to Nawlins, to Miami, to San Diego all in one season instead of five? Football heaven :D

SoonerPride
5/18/2011, 01:38 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, I attended every OU bowl game from Cotton through Holiday. I can say that without saying the years, because we only went those those Texas-tier bowls once each :D

I loved every bowl trip, except the ones we lost.

The way I see it, a playoff would be like attending up to four (or five?) bowl games in one season instead of one.

For those that could do it, that would be one hell of a college football postseason! For those that can only afford one trip, you'd get to pick the one to go to, perhaps waiting out, hoping to go to a later round game, or for your favorite location on the schedule? Or, whichever one fits your travel and time budget.

Man, If I could have gone from Dallas, to Pasadena, to Nawlins, to Miami, to San Diego all in one season instead of five? Football heaven :D

Well clearly if there was a post-season tournament, they wouldn't be able to fill 70,000 seat stadiums each week as 25,000 fans can't travel from coast to coast week after week.

It would most likely be home field advantage until the final four.

badger
5/18/2011, 01:45 PM
How is the off-season a reward to the players?
They work out the whole time.
Hehe, till they are forced to take a week off from athletic facilities for working out too much cuz of some whistle blowing player. :D Perhaps an expanded postseason would cause the NCAA to have a mandatory 'off month' where no team sanctioned workouts are allowed at all.

Having 35 bowl games allows 35 teams to end the season on winning note.

Even though our last two bowl games weren't part of some post-season tournament I sure like the way it feels to end the season on a winning note.

Meh, no reason some bowls couldn't stay, but if the purpose of the bowls is to declare half the participants winners, just hand 'em participation ribbons or Big 12 South Co-Co-Co Champions rings. :rolleyes:

And the ho-haw about college presidents and tests is nonsense. They like the system because it pays huge dividends for the schools (even those that have to buy up tickets). If it weren't financially to their best interest, they would change it to something else.

And yet there's tons of reports on all of these programs losing money in the bowl system. It just doesn't make sense to say it pays huge dividends while at the same time there's reports on UConn et al losing millions on trip expenses, mandatory ticket buys, etc.

And saying an expanded post-season tournament would be more transparent/fair etc. is also nonsense. You still have to seed the field. You would still use a combination of polls and computers to rank the teams whether it was 4 or 8 or 64. Or worse, you'd have a committee meet behind closed doors decide the field.

Is the NCAA basketball tournament really such a bad thing?

As I said earlier, you can close your eyes and click your heels together three times and wish out loud all you want, but the BCS and bowl games aren't going anywhere.

Not saying it is going anywhere. I'm just saying it should go somewhere.

SoonerofAlabama
5/18/2011, 03:45 PM
Every other sport in Division 1-A has a playoff and crowns one champion. There aren't supposed to be 35 champions at the end of every season. I don't like watching our bowl games and seeing the national championship and saying "I bet we could beat them". It is dumb not to have a playoff.

Every major sport in the world has some form of playoff. Why should college football be any different. It would be better for the schools themselves. A lot less money wasted on sometimes meaningless bowl games. I hope the courts do something to change the current system because currently it is a system of corruptness.

A playoff with eight to ten teams would work fine. It would be more exciting. Who wants to watch their team play in the Belk Bowl or the Poinsettia Bowl? I would love to see the NCAA make a football playoff and either make the BCS do the playoff or get a new system. :pop:

texaspokieokie
5/18/2011, 03:54 PM
a playoff with TEN teams would be ,at best, clumsy.

i do agree, many of the bowls are so meaningless, nobody cares who wins except fans of the 2 teams involved.

i don't care what they do, i just root for my team to win every game they play.

so sick of this crap, all have playoff but 1-A football.

must be almost time for another "playoff" thread.

badger
5/18/2011, 04:00 PM
I love watching bowls. I love watching college football.

I think some bowls would survive a playoff system.

Bowls AND playoffs? MORE college football. GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME

texaspokieokie
5/18/2011, 04:05 PM
I love watching bowls. I love watching college football.

I think some bowls would survive a playoff system.

Bowls AND playoffs? MORE college football. GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME

i have a short attention span; i lose interest in a game if i don't care who wins.

texaspokieokie
5/18/2011, 04:06 PM
one thing that is obvious to me, huge travel parties need to be reduced. most everyone should pay their own way.

PLaw
5/18/2011, 04:39 PM
http://www.thewizofodds.com/the_wiz_of_odds/2011/05/bowl-games-silly-extravagance-or-worthwhile-tradition.html

There were other not so subtle tweaks. Alabama, for example, included $1.10 million in staff bonuses, one of the reasons the Crimson Tide ran up a staggering $2.91 million in total expenses for the Capital One Bowl. Something Alabama did not include was the cost to upgrade facilities at Orlando’s Dr. Phillips High, where the team practiced in preparation for the game.
Alabama received criticism for the upgrades after it was revealed the team was recruiting defensive back Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix and running back Demetrius Hart from the school, two players it eventually signed.

Seriously??? If this is true, this is a new door to recruiting corruption.

BOOMER

Jacie
5/18/2011, 07:58 PM
Silly extravagance? Let's see, a bowl game is a one-day event. I suppose we could call it a week-long event if you take into account the festivities leading up to it. So what does the guy who is in charge of say, one of the BCS bowls warrant in compensation for all the "work" involved in staging a bowl and related festivities? How about $600,000 give or take 10 grand. That is what the CEO of the Sugar Bowl was paid in 2009. He was paid more in 2008 because the Sugar Bowl also hosted the National Championship game.

Not bad work if you can get it . . .

ictsooner7
5/18/2011, 10:11 PM
I agree that bowl games are great, but they are like anything else that started out to do something good, a couple a greedy people got their hooks into them and are draining money from them. Why should universities pay the six and seven figure salaries of the bowl executives? Why should student fees go up to pay those salaries?

SoonerofAlabama
5/18/2011, 10:27 PM
Still say there should be one definintive champion every year. If they would just put the playoff in place to let everyone test the waters. I know that is a lot to ask, but maybe the playoff people would see it isn't so great and possibly the non-playoff people could see it is good. I understand also that they can't just test drive the playoff system like a new car, but I just think a change is needed.

StoopTroup
5/18/2011, 11:40 PM
The loss of money in these matters aren't the players fault. If the damn Tickets weren't so high and every every good seat wasn't bought up by ticket scalpers....lots more people would go. When we make a MNC...we can't even buy a ticket for $1500 a piece.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for losing money in these lesser Bowls. Every time OU is in a Bowl the prices are astronomical. They roll our fans like bums.

The Bowls are good for College Football. If they can't make money....who cares. It is and always will be a Worthwhile Tradition IMO.

Sooner_Tuf
5/19/2011, 01:43 AM
If all these schools were losing that kind of money then they should decline the invitation. I think that would be the case if it were true. I suppose there is TV money and licensing money to consider.

OU Football ended the year with what 40+ million in revenue?

I like the Bowl System. There are playoffs in Div 2 and NAIA. Nobody goes to those games. I don't want to model Div1 after a crappy model

Oh Bama there is a Champion every year. Some people just want change because they want change. I'm sure the Universities have looked into the money situation and they want the BCS.

If you can only enjoy a sport that has a playoff system then I would suggest you watch different sport.

Okie35
5/19/2011, 03:42 AM
Every other sport in Division 1-A has a playoff and crowns one champion. There aren't supposed to be 35 champions at the end of every season. I don't like watching our bowl games and seeing the national championship and saying "I bet we could beat them". It is dumb not to have a playoff.

Every major sport in the world has some form of playoff. Why should college football be any different. It would be better for the schools themselves. A lot less money wasted on sometimes meaningless bowl games. I hope the courts do something to change the current system because currently it is a system of corruptness.

A playoff with eight to ten teams would work fine. It would be more exciting. Who wants to watch their team play in the Belk Bowl or the Poinsettia Bowl? I would love to see the NCAA make a football playoff and either make the BCS do the playoff or get a new system. :pop:

I hear you but that can be said about the Final Four too. A playoff would hurt sales and attendance. I mean we see none of that but whatever. I'm fine w/ how it is but I wouldn't mind playoffs either.

SoonerofAlabama
5/19/2011, 06:53 AM
If all these schools were losing that kind of money then they should decline the invitation. I think that would be the case if it were true. I suppose there is TV money and licensing money to consider.

OU Football ended the year with what 40+ million in revenue?

I like the Bowl System. There are playoffs in Div 2 and NAIA. Nobody goes to those games. I don't want to model Div1 after a crappy model

Oh Bama there is a Champion every year. Some people just want change because they want change. I'm sure the Universities have looked into the money situation and they want the BCS.

If you can only enjoy a sport that has a playoff system then I would suggest you watch different sport.

I remember watching Appalachian State and Villanova play last year in the playoffs and although there stadium is probably tiny, it was packed. I don't think there would be a lack of ticket sales as long as the ticket prices weren's terrible.

texaspokieokie
5/19/2011, 07:05 AM
I remember watching Appalachian State and Villanova play last year in the playoffs and although there stadium is probably tiny, it was packed. I don't think there would be a lack of ticket sales as long as the ticket prices weren's terrible.

games then, shud be played in much smaller stadia.

SoCal
5/19/2011, 07:57 AM
If Oklahoma had to absorb 11,933 tickets to the Fiesta Bowl that they could not sell...what did they do with them? Did they give them away or did they just sit on them. Why couldn't they reduce the prices of all tickets across the board in hopes of selling their total allotment in order to reduce the Bowl cost to the University.

Peach Fuzz
5/19/2011, 08:17 AM
Screw playoffs, we've already benefited handsomely from the BcS, and I always get excited when mid December rolls around so I can watch an agglomeration of FBS teams giving their best shots (most of the time) and watching everything from small ball to smash mouth... Leave my Bowl season alone

OUmillenium
5/19/2011, 09:21 AM
If there were only about 10-12 bowls = worthwhile tradition

OUmillenium
5/19/2011, 09:23 AM
There were 18 bowls in 1985, bordering on too many.

NormanPride
5/19/2011, 10:26 AM
The crime isn't really in the top bowls as much as it is in the crappier bowls. The smaller teams lose TONS of money going to bad bowl games, and it's a huge drain on the university. But why do the bowls have to go if there's a playoff? These things are not mutually exclusive.

SoCal
5/19/2011, 01:17 PM
The crime isn't really in the top bowls as much as it is in the crappier bowls. The smaller teams lose TONS of money going to bad bowl games, and it's a huge drain on the university. But why do the bowls have to go if there's a playoff? These things are not mutually exclusive.

I would call the Fiesta Bowl a top bowl..."Combined, Connecticut and Oklahoma sold only 8,338 of their allotted 35,000 tickets. That left the schools and their conferences on the hook for a jaw-dropping $5.14 million in "absorbed" tickets — or tickets that go unsold to the public or have to be purchased by the university."

OUmillenium
5/19/2011, 01:21 PM
The problem with that was the whole idea of having UCONN as our opponent.

badger
5/19/2011, 01:30 PM
If Oklahoma had to absorb 11,933 tickets to the Fiesta Bowl that they could not sell...what did they do with them? Did they give them away or did they just sit on them. Why couldn't they reduce the prices of all tickets across the board in hopes of selling their total allotment in order to reduce the Bowl cost to the University.

Most OU fans bought their tickets via another source, not the university. OU had a program to try to up its own ticket sales by telling fans to buy tickets to give to servicemen and women. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say our ticket allotment (covered by the Big 12 as per conference rules, as previously mentioned) likely went to the armed forces. U-S-A! U-S-A! :D

NormanPride
5/19/2011, 01:47 PM
I would call the Fiesta Bowl a top bowl..."Combined, Connecticut and Oklahoma sold only 8,338 of their allotted 35,000 tickets. That left the schools and their conferences on the hook for a jaw-dropping $5.14 million in "absorbed" tickets — or tickets that go unsold to the public or have to be purchased by the university."
This is what you call an "outlier". OU fans hate the Fiesta Bowl, and playing a **** tier team like the Huskies in a down economy guarantees that people aren't going to travel well. Normally, I believe we make a slim profit on our bowl games.

goingoneight
5/19/2011, 09:04 PM
All the empty seats in meaningless bowl games say "silly extravagance."

Sooner_Tuf
5/19/2011, 09:42 PM

Well there you go, you have your playoff.

King Barry's Back
5/22/2011, 10:25 PM

No, I do not. I think some are awesome, some are mediocre, but all are a bit of fun and travel for players and fans.

In fact, if a playoff is ever adopted, it will not spell the end of bowl games. A playoff is only going to take four teams, at least for the initial 6-10 years, so few bowl alignments would be disrupted.

I expect that teams not invited to the playoff will still be eligible for bowl invitations. Sort of the like the explosion of the NCAA basketball tournament didn't eliminate the NIT.

And, depending on the timing of the playoffs, it may be possible that teams eliminated from the first round could still be eligible for bowl invites. (See note below.)

Why do bowl games exist? Because schools want to go to them, cities want to host them, and fans like to watch them on TV.

My problem with the article above is that it seems to be arguing that buying unsold bowl tickets is draining the collegiate athletic system dry of resources.

I'd say the presidents, administrators and coaches have a much better idea of total costs and benefits to their schools than the authors do, and the fact that none of them turns down an invitation speaks volumes.

NOTE: Certainly the existence of a playoff would undermine big-time bowls like the 5 BCS games (unless they are incorporated into the playoff.) However, bowls like the Indy or Insight would be barely impacted. The teams be courted for medium- to minor- bowls will not be in playoff contention.

TheLadiesMike
5/23/2011, 09:51 AM
This article seems to ignore or not mention TV revenue but looks strictly at tickets, expenses, and payouts. The real money from bowls is from the audience at home.

TheLadiesMike
5/23/2011, 09:54 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=303452026

Attendance 15,706
Capacity 21,650

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_State_Mountaineers_football

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 09:40 PM
Too many of them to be a tradition anymore. Some of them make college football look like a joke. Is it the Belk Bowl that is the new one next year? And the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl, come on.