PDA

View Full Version : Winning the Heisman Trophy?

Spray
5/18/2011, 11:01 AM
Automatic ticket into the College Football Hall of Fame?

You would think it would be if it really is the "best" player in a given year. Gotta make you a legend, right? But...

Gino Torretta?
Chris Weinke?

Jason White (gasp!)?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/05/17/frazier-hall-snub.ap/index.html?sct=cf_t2_a6

deweydw
5/18/2011, 11:32 AM
I don't see why JW wouldn't be considered. That was dramatic season for him. Coming back from knee surgery and all.

bixby28
5/18/2011, 11:51 AM
The Heisman Trophy is bigger than the College Football HOF, IMO. There are players in the HOF who most people haven't heard of in 20 years. The Heisman fraternity is much more exclusive.

JLEW1818
5/18/2011, 11:54 AM
The Heisman Trophy is bigger than the College Football HOF, IMO. There are players in the HOF who most people haven't heard of in 20 years. The Heisman fraternity is much more exclusive.

agree

The Heisman is honestly the most well known personal award in sports.

Spray
5/18/2011, 01:17 PM
So, then you are saying if you win the Heisman your subsequent induction into the College HOF is a no-brainer?

jk the sooner fan
5/18/2011, 01:52 PM
So, then you are saying if you win the Heisman your subsequent induction into the College HOF is a no-brainer?

is there a published criteria for induction? i honestly dont know what it is

Clendan Thomas gets inducted this year - finally, after 60 years....while Deion Sanders has only been out for 20ish years

Spray
5/18/2011, 02:40 PM
I doubt winning a Heisman is an official criteria- just wondering about opinions.

Personally, I don't think winning a Heisman alone gets you in the HOF. A Heisman recognizes a single year of achievement. HOFers should have displayed excellence over multiple years.

jk the sooner fan
5/18/2011, 02:41 PM
I doubt winning a Heisman is an official criteria- just wondering about opinions.

Personally, I don't think winning a Heisman alone gets you in the HOF. A Heisman recognizes a single year of achievement. HOFers should have displayed excellence over multiple years.

criteria for the College HOF

bixby28
5/18/2011, 03:07 PM

Barry Sanders didn't do a lot outside of 1988.

JLEW1818
5/18/2011, 03:17 PM
Heisman should be a lock

if you were ever the best player in CF for a year, you deserve it.

the same can not be said for the NFL.

jk the sooner fan
5/18/2011, 03:18 PM
i disagree - its certainly a resume builder - but the College HOF should be based on an entire body of work

a kid can have one GREAT season, win the Heisman, and then move on

Cam Newton is a prime example

Widescreen
5/18/2011, 03:26 PM
i disagree - its certainly a resume builder - but the College HOF should be based on an entire body of work

I see what you mean. However, winning the Heisman is huge and I would almost tend to think Heisman winner is automatically in the HOF unless there are other circumstances that would disqualify them. Cam Newton would definitely be one I would consider excluding.

Spray
5/18/2011, 03:38 PM
Barry Sanders didn't do a lot outside of 1988.

But that was the greatest season by a RB ever.

I didn't say one great season + Heisman couldn't get you in. I just don't think it guarantees it.

Sooner_Tuf
5/18/2011, 03:39 PM
Is there published criteria? Or is it a feel good award?

SoonerofAlabama
5/18/2011, 03:49 PM
Just because you win the Heisman trophy does not mean you will be in the HOF. There are some bad players that have won the Heisman. Being good for a season isn't what the HOF is about.

bixby28
5/18/2011, 03:56 PM
Just because you win the Heisman trophy does not mean you will be in the HOF. There are some bad players that have won the Heisman. Being good for a season isn't what the HOF is about.

Wow. Some bad players have won the Heisman? What truly bad players have won the Heisman?

SoonerofAlabama
5/18/2011, 04:01 PM
It is on the start of th thread. Are you saying Chris Weinke should be a hall of famer?

JLEW1818
5/18/2011, 04:03 PM

Cam Newton:

Heisman Winner
National Championship
Undefeated Season
1st pick of the NFL Draft

how is he not in?

bixby28
5/18/2011, 04:07 PM
It is on the start of th thread. Are you saying Chris Weinke should be a hall of famer?

You are implying he's a bad player. Not me.

IMO, it's asinine to say any Heisman Trophy winner is a bad player.Some were more deserving of the award than others, sure.

When I think of truly bad players, I think of guys who stunk on the field. That's a bad player, not a Heisman winner who loses a NC.
Not sure what your definition of a bad player is, but Heisman winners usually don't meet that criteria.
Weinke didn't amount to a lot as an NFL QB and neither did Torretta, but to say they were bad college players is pretty puzzling. What he did in the NFL has no influence on whether he's in the CFHOF.

SoonerofAlabama
5/18/2011, 04:10 PM
From dictionary.com:

Main Entry: bad
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: poor quality
Synonyms: abominable, amiss, atrocious, awful, bad news, beastly, blah*, bottom out, bummer, careless, cheap, cheesy*, crappy*, cruddy, crummy, defective, deficient, diddly, dissatisfactory, downer, dreadful, erroneous, fallacious, faulty, garbage, godawful, grody, gross*, grungy, icky, imperfect, inadequate, incorrect, inferior, junky, lousy*, not good, off, poor, raunchy*, rough, sad, slipshod, stinking, substandard, synthetic, the pits, unacceptable, unsatisfactory

bixby28
5/18/2011, 04:17 PM
From dictionary.com:

Main Entry: bad
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: poor quality
Synonyms: abominable, amiss, atrocious, awful, bad news, beastly, blah*, bottom out, bummer, careless, cheap, cheesy*, crappy*, cruddy, crummy, defective, deficient, diddly, dissatisfactory, downer, dreadful, erroneous, fallacious, faulty, garbage, godawful, grody, gross*, grungy, icky, imperfect, inadequate, incorrect, inferior, junky, lousy*, not good, off, poor, raunchy*, rough, sad, slipshod, stinking, substandard, synthetic, the pits, unacceptable, unsatisfactory

So which Heisman winner was atrocious or awful?

SoonerofAlabama
5/18/2011, 04:19 PM
More along the lines of cruddy, crummy, off, unsatisfactory, or inadequate. Is that good enough word choice for you?

jk the sooner fan
5/18/2011, 05:55 PM
Cam Newton:

Heisman Winner
National Championship
Undefeated Season

how is he not in?

he played ONE season in college

considering the controversy surrounding his eligibility - i'd say he's NOT IN

SoonerofAlabama
5/18/2011, 06:20 PM
He played THREE seasons actually. Florida, Blinn College, and Auburn.

SoonerinSouthlake
5/18/2011, 06:57 PM
I don't see why JW wouldn't be considered. That was dramatic season for him. Coming back from knee surgery and all.

2 Knee surgeries

jk the sooner fan
5/18/2011, 07:19 PM
He played THREE seasons actually. Florida, Blinn College, and Auburn.

he "played" at Florida? or redshirted?

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 03:15 PM
Cam Newton:

Heisman Winner
National Championship
Undefeated Season

how is he not in?

It doesn't matter what you do in the NFL. They don't tally what you do in the NFL to decide if you should be in the College Football HOF.

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 03:15 PM

He suited up I thought.

PLaw
5/28/2011, 04:52 PM

Check that - two knee injuries, either one of which could have been career ending.

Pretty cool that two OU heisman's grew up less than 75 miles from one another.

Boomer

PLaw
5/28/2011, 04:56 PM
Cam Newton:

Heisman Winner
National Championship
Undefeated Season

how is he not in?

And ... Should be ruled that he was ineligible during that season by the NCAA within the next 18 months.

Boomer

Mjcpr
5/28/2011, 04:59 PM

He suited up I thought.

He played. I'm pretty sure I've seen video of him scoring a TD at Florida.

StoopTroup
5/28/2011, 05:12 PM
The college Football HOF is a joke. It took Switzer forever to get in. The only reason that can be given is....it's run by a bunch of dicks.

yermom
5/28/2011, 05:29 PM
didn't Weinke win a title the year before? and play for another the year before that?

StoopTroup
5/28/2011, 06:05 PM
And ... Should be ruled that he was ineligible during that season by the NCAA within the next 18 months.

Boomer

It does seem to take them awhile to get around to making things right.

Should we just fire Bob and find someone that will get us #8 the way Petey did in 2004? :confused: :rolleyes: ;) :pop:

rekamrettuB
5/29/2011, 09:36 AM
didn't Weinke win a title the year before? and play for another the year before that?

Gino Toretta fits the bill...and that's it.

Jason White had two tremendous seasons. 1 Heisman and 1 3rd place finish. You get to NYC two years and you should be in.

Weinke and his team played for 3 NCs in a row...winning 1. He should be in. If he just handed the ball off 50 times a game and threw 10 times all 3 years then I would change my mind. But that team threw the ball all over the field.

Eric Crouch had a great college career.

Just a few Heisman winners that get a bad rap due to either bowl performances or NFL careers and had incredible college careers.

Would you induct Larry Coker into it since he won a NC?

Spray
5/29/2011, 10:23 AM
One thing may have been overlooked in my OP- link to the article reporting about Tommie Frazier getting passed over this year...

SteelClip49
5/29/2011, 10:39 AM
Heisman Winners not yet in the Hall of Fame:

1986 Testaverde
1990 Detmer
1994 Salaam
1996 Wuerffel (this dude should be in)
1997-2010

SteelClip49
5/29/2011, 10:40 AM
Gino Toretta fits the bill...and that's it.

Jason White had two tremendous seasons. 1 Heisman and 1 3rd place finish. You get to NYC two years and you should be in.

Weinke and his team played for 3 NCs in a row...winning 1. He should be in. If he just handed the ball off 50 times a game and threw 10 times all 3 years then I would change my mind. But that team threw the ball all over the field.

Eric Crouch had a great college career.

Just a few Heisman winners that get a bad rap due to either bowl performances or NFL careers and had incredible college careers.

Would you induct Larry Coker into it since he won a NC?

I guarantee you the 2001 Miami Hurricanes as a team will be inducted.

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 01:06 PM
Heisman Winners not yet in the Hall of Fame:

1986 Testaverde
1990 Detmer
1994 Salaam
1996 Wuerffel (this dude should be in)
1997-2010

Except for Wuerffel, I would say those guys don't really need to be in the HOF.

rekamrettuB
5/29/2011, 01:29 PM
I guarantee you the 2001 Miami Hurricanes as a team will be inducted.

Then he wouldn't be in as a coach. His picture might be hanging there but it won't say "Larry Coker". It will say "2001 Miami Hurricanes". He'd be in the hall of fame just like the place holder or ball boy would be.

rekamrettuB
5/29/2011, 01:31 PM
Except for Wuerffel, I would say those guys don't really need to be in the HOF.

Why would you not include Detmer? He had an incredible college career.

Detmer's final college career statistics are 1,530 pass attempts; 958 completions; 15,031 passing yards; 121 touchdown passes; 14,665 yards of total offense; 135 touchdowns responsible for; and 162.7 passer rating, all NCAA records at the time. In all, he finished his college career with 59 NCAA records and tied for three others. Including statistics from bowl games, Detmer totaled 16,206 passing yards and 127 touchdown passes at BYU.

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 01:34 PM
Didn't see Detmer. Passed right over his name.

rekamrettuB
5/29/2011, 05:28 PM
Didn't see Detmer. Passed right over his name.

That makes sense. I was wondering. Your posts always seem to be pretty well thoughtout. That one was curious tho. :D

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 12:36 PM
He played. I'm pretty sure I've seen video of him scoring a TD at Florida.

I thought so. I remembered seeing him on the sideline that year.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7834/78016997displayimage.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/36/78016997displayimage.jpg/)