PDA

View Full Version : Barleywine

delhalew
5/18/2011, 12:17 AM
BIG BIG BEER

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/19

This link actually goes into the party-gyle process that resulted in a Barleywine.
http://www.madisonbeerreview.com/2009/03/english-barleywine-and-old-ale.html

The flavors in this beer are all pretty intense...particularly the alchohol. Unless you age it for a few years, and all the flavors marry into a perfect melding of balanced bad-assery.

This is were I have a problem. I love big beers. I drink a lot of them. I can't buy enough Barleywine to age it. One year is the longest I've made it.

Thanks to a friend, I did get to try a 4 year old bottle of Barleywine from Fuller's.

So. I am going to buy more, and hide it from myself. Cause that damn bigfoot from Sierra Nevada needs to mellow out. It is a hoppy sumbitch.

delhalew
5/18/2011, 12:19 AM
http://www.thebeveragestore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/i/sierra_nevada_bigfoot.jpg

I like it. I will like it more if I can quit drinking them all.:(

MeMyself&Me
5/18/2011, 06:40 AM
That right thar is one good beer. It's different for different years and different at different ages too.

MeMyself&Me
5/18/2011, 07:16 AM
Sisyphus is another one that is great but I prefer Big Foot.

Harry Beanbag
5/18/2011, 09:31 AM
Never had a barley wine. When I drink beer I usually have between 8 and 43 at a time, so I've never been a big fan of the big alcohol brews. I should get some just to try on a school night or something I guess.

delhalew
5/18/2011, 09:38 AM
Never had a barley wine. When I drink beer I usually have between 8 and 43 at a time, so I've never been a big fan of the big alcohol brews. I should get some just to try on a school night or something I guess.

Just imagine 3 or 4 times the flavor in every regard. Malt, hops, alcohol, and after one you feel it. It would be awesome for a winter drink.

MeMyself&Me
5/18/2011, 10:07 AM
I've got about 4 1/2 cases of barleywines of my own creation sitting in a closet. I make about 2 cases worth a year but drink far less than that, mostly during the winter when the temps in the closet are perfect serving temp for barleywine. The English style ones are the ones I like the best but I can't say I've ever had a commercial English barleywine.

delhalew
5/18/2011, 10:10 AM
I've got about 4 1/2 cases of barleywines of my own creation sitting in a closet. I make about 2 cases worth a year but drink far less than that, mostly during the winter when the temps in the closet are perfect serving temp for barleywine. The English style ones are the ones I like the best but I can't say I've ever had a commercial English barleywine.

I had that Fuller's. I liked it better. I tend to enjoy lower IBU, and more balance.

OhU1
5/18/2011, 10:18 AM
Buying Big Foot to age is an investment! Good investment practice takes discipline. The key is to buy at least a full case or two. That way you can drink a case during the year and save the other away.

I actually have too much Bigfoot right now (a good problem to have). So I'm pulling an occasional 2005, 2006, or 2007 "out of savings". The return is a mellowed smooth drinking beer full of flavor.

Big Foot is not an everyday beer or one you typically have around the grill or watching the football game. Big Foot is a perfect beer when you are only having one or two.

Old Foghorn by Anchor Steam is very good. Old Ruffian by Great Divide is also great. These are not as hoppy as Sierra Nevada if I recall correctly. I have not tried to store and age these other big beers.

To me Russian imperial stout is to stout as barleywine is to pale ale. You can age Russian Imperial Stout and you drink it under similar conditions as you typically would a barleywine. I need to be "in the mood" for either of these styles as once you've had one your beer drinking session is altered due to the high alcohol.

delhalew
5/18/2011, 10:30 AM
Buying Big Foot to age is an investment! Good investment practice takes discipline. The key is to buy at least a full case or two. That way you can drink a case during the year and save the other away.

I actually have too much Bigfoot right now (a good problem to have). So I'm pulling an occasional 2005, 2006, or 2007 "out of savings". The return is a mellowed smooth drinking beer full of flavor.

Big Foot is not an everyday beer or one you typically have around the grill or watching the football game. Big Foot is a perfect beer when you are only having one or two.

Old Foghorn by Anchor Steam is very good. Old Ruffian by Great Divide is also great. These are not as hoppy as Sierra Nevada if I recall correctly. I have not tried to store and age these other big beers.

To me Russian imperial stout is to stout as barleywine is to pale ale. You can age Russian Imperial Stout and you drink it under similar conditions as you typically would a barleywine. I need to be "in the mood" for either of these styles as once you've had one your beer drinking session is altered due to the high alcohol.

I need to start doing it that way. I drink BW, Wee Heavy, and Quads like session beers...not good practice.

MeMyself&Me
5/18/2011, 10:40 AM
I had that Fuller's. I liked it better. I tend to enjoy lower IBU, and more balance.

That's what I like about English styles in general. They tend to be much more balanced overall so that not one particular character takes over. Also, I like the fruitier yeast. Love Fullers beers but I've never run across their barleywine.

This is more or less how I do anything that I want to age. Make more than I will drink and I know that I'll have some when it finally peaks. And yes, these are beers that are meant for only one or two a sitting. It should also be noted that it takes quite a bit longer to drink one of these too cause they're so much richer. NOT something you're going to want when you come in from mowing the lawn for sure.

Jammin'
5/18/2011, 10:40 AM
This has been very informative and I appreciate it. I have nothing good to add to this thread but will continue to monitor. Carry on.

OhU1
5/18/2011, 12:55 PM
And yes, these are beers that are meant for only one or two a sitting. It should also be noted that it takes quite a bit longer to drink one of these too cause they're so much richer. NOT something you're going to want when you come in from mowing the lawn for sure.

Very true. These beers are so rich and heavy that you drink them slower without even thinking about it in my experience. It's kind of a sip and savor kind of process with me. The exception is if you make the mistake of drinking one of these after you've already had 4 or 5 other beers. Then I tend to drink them too fast, I'm not as in tune with the quality of the beer, and it makes me far more drunk than I intended to get.

delhalew
5/18/2011, 04:30 PM
I was a short and curly hair away from saying to hell with driving to Colorado, and staying in Norman/OKC. I would have liked to find one of ya'll to drink a beer with. Next time.

Fraggle145
5/18/2011, 04:36 PM
Ya the Barleywine if you have more than 5 will kick your ***, both that night and the next day!

I like to call it my bed time beer...

delhalew
5/18/2011, 04:42 PM
Ya the Barleywine if you have more than 5 will kick your ***, both that night and the next day!

I like to call it my bed time beer...

I'm curious if you smoke. I recently quit, and have quit getting hangovers when I drink WAY to much.

Jammin'
5/18/2011, 04:45 PM
smoking cigs while drinking is asking for a hangover.

delhalew
5/18/2011, 04:49 PM
smoking cigs while drinking is asking for a hangover.

It's a shame, because I really love to smoke. I could get away with a couple cigarettes or a cigar, but any more would spell disaster.

Jammin'
5/18/2011, 04:52 PM
smoking weed while drinking is asking for a good time.

make good decisions on the type of plant you smoke. (shut up dean)

NormanPride
5/18/2011, 04:58 PM
I have never understood why they are called "session" beers. Not barleywines, of course, but others.

delhalew
5/18/2011, 05:00 PM
smoking weed while drinking is asking for a good time.

make good decisions on the type of plant you smoke. (shut up dean)

In fairness to the tobacco plsnt, I'm your joint was laced with ammonia and dozens of other chemicals, that would prolly give you a hangover, as well.

Harry Beanbag
5/18/2011, 06:14 PM
So how long are you supposed to hide this stuff in a closet before you drink it?

delhalew
5/18/2011, 06:21 PM
So how long are you supposed to hide this stuff in a closet before you drink it?

As long as you can wait, but I'd bet 3 to 5 years is the sweet spot. I've heard rumors that a beer like that has peaks and valleys, with multiple sweet spots.

delhalew
5/18/2011, 06:22 PM
http://www.ale2ale.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Craft-Beer-Barley-Wine-great-divide.jpg

StoopTroup
5/18/2011, 06:50 PM
John Barleywine must die...

-q4LvXZNOuI

delhalew
5/18/2011, 06:54 PM
John Barleywine must die...

-q4LvXZNOuI

Ohh. Now I get it. It took a while for the vid to pop up.

StoopTroup
5/18/2011, 06:55 PM
You have to smoke the correct weed to get my posts...:D :rolleyes: :cool:

delhalew
5/18/2011, 06:59 PM
You have to smoke the correct weed to get my posts...:D :rolleyes: :cool:

I thought you might of had a few bottles of Barleywine in ya'.

C&CDean
5/18/2011, 07:00 PM
In fairness to the tobacco plsnt, I'm your joint was laced with ammonia and dozens of other chemicals, that would prolly give you a hangover, as well.

I think somebody is deep into a few of these barleycorns already...

C&CDean
5/18/2011, 07:01 PM
Whoa. That's some weird **** right there now.

StoopTroup
5/18/2011, 07:04 PM
I thought you might of had a few bottles of Barleywine in ya'.

I don't drink or smoke weed. Thorazine suppositories are the **** man. :D

delhalew
5/18/2011, 07:10 PM
Whoa. That's some weird **** right there now.

What are you trying one as we speak?

MeMyself&Me
5/18/2011, 09:52 PM
I'm curious if you smoke. I recently quit, and have quit getting hangovers when I drink WAY to much.

Just curious, you also indicated somewhere else that you started brewing recently. Did you're hangovers disappear when you started drink more of your own beer?

delhalew
5/18/2011, 09:59 PM
Just curious, you also indicated somewhere else that you started brewing recently. Did you're hangovers disappear when you started drink more of your own beer?

I don't have what you would call a pipeline yet. Since I drink so much beer, when I drink my homebrew accounts for 10-50% of what I drink. Throw in a Belgian Quad or a Barleywine. I'm still working my way up to big beers. Since big beers is what I like to drink...I'm still buying a lot of beer.

I have had one hangover in the last six months, and that night I smoked 5-10 cigarettes...thus my theory.

delhalew
2/11/2012, 01:28 AM
The 2012 Bigfoot Barleywine is making it's appearance in stores as we speak. Grab a few sixers. Drink some. Hide the rest. Happy times.

King Crimson
2/11/2012, 02:34 AM
green flash brewery barleywine. YWIA. i like all the green flash beers i've tried....quality, hoppy.

OhU1
2/12/2012, 01:04 PM
The 2012 Bigfoot Barleywine is making it's appearance in stores as we speak. Grab a few sixers. Drink some. Hide the rest. Happy times.

I just pulled a 2008 Big Foot out of storage this morning and put in the fridge (still have some 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2009 left too). Time to get some 2012!

delhalew
2/12/2012, 02:54 PM
I just pulled a 2008 Big Foot out of storage this morning and put in the fridge (still have some 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2009 left too). Time to get some 2012!

Dang. You've got some old ones. Those must be tasty.

OhU1
2/15/2012, 08:36 PM
Dang. You've got some old ones. Those must be tasty.

Having the 2008 right now, it's still very rich and wonderfully hoppy (supposedly the hops "mellow" over time but I can't detect that much). I have never cross tasted the various years but I need to do that sometime.

I went a little overboard stocking up on this stuff, especially in 2006, but I suppose that's a good problem to have. It does not go bad.

delhalew
2/16/2012, 09:28 AM
I was struck by how polar opposite the Sierra Nevada is from Great Divide's Old Ruffian. I need to sit on both of those.

OhU1
2/16/2012, 08:53 PM
I was struck by how polar opposite the Sierra Nevada is from Great Divide's Old Ruffian. I need to sit on both of those.

It's been awhile since I've had Old Ruffian. Great Divide is one of the best breweries in the U.S IMO. I recall liking Old Ruffian more than Big Foot (which is quibbling as both are great). I probably would have stocked up on Old Ruffian more if they sold in 12 oz. - 6 packs or 4 packs instead of 22 oz bombers. 22 oz. of Ruffian and you are nothing but on the way to getting bombed. On the other hand I can drink a single 12 oz. Big Foot as a "nightcap" or single weekday beer and it is just right. North Coast Brewery also sells "bomber quality" beers in 12 oz bottles, 4-packs. Too bad some of the other "big beers" don't offer a 12oz package.

delhalew
2/16/2012, 09:03 PM
Well, you don't really need a bomber of barleywine. I certainly don't let that stop me though.

Seamus
2/17/2012, 02:02 AM
My buddy and I are about 6-7 weeks out from brewing a barleywine with maple syrup as an additive. We bought a half-gallon of C-grade syrup from Carman Brook Farms in Vermont (the letter denotes darkness, not quality -- C is the darkest, richest, gnarliest they have, the "end of season" syrup).

The plan is to let it ferment in one of our demijohns (14-gallon glass vessels) for at least a year, soaking in sterilized bourbon oak chips. Gonna age that sucker up for a nice long time.

Still working out the grain bill, but ever since (Christmas time) I got a new mill (MM2-2.0 from Monster Brewing Hardware) our mash efficiency has been beyond kickass. We're talking 20-25 pounds of base malt for this barleywine, plus the maple. The OG should be well into the 1.1 range.

Someone mention Green Flash. They are fricking awesome. We just went to the Double/Triple IPA Festival in Hayward, Calif., last weekend. Got to sample Green Flash's "Palate Wrecker." Absolutely brilliant -- and I had that as only about my fourth-best of show.

If you're a hophead and can get any of the following (in a pub -- not likely to see these in bottles any time soon), do so. These are my top five from the DIPA fest.

1. Knee Deep's Hoptologist
2. Kern River Citra (brewed entirely with Citra hops)
3. Russian River Pliny the Younger TIPA
4. Green Flash Palate Wrecker
5. Lagunitas SF Fusion

soonerinabilene
2/17/2012, 07:49 AM
I very much enjoyed my Keystone Light last night.

Sooner5030
2/17/2012, 08:53 AM
anyone here do all grain brewing? I'm still brewing with malt-extract until I want to invest/build a nice sculpture to go all grains. I'm just wondering how much more time it will take to produce wort for a 5 gallon carboy. Right now I'm putting out 1 carboy (about 2 cases when primed) per week which meets all my beer drinking needs during the week. I have a wort chiller so that reduces the brew-to-fermenter time.

Seamus
2/17/2012, 05:33 PM
anyone here do all grain brewing? I'm still brewing with malt-extract until I want to invest/build a nice sculpture to go all grains. I'm just wondering how much more time it will take to produce wort for a 5 gallon carboy. Right now I'm putting out 1 carboy (about 2 cases when primed) per week which meets all my beer drinking needs during the week. I have a wort chiller so that reduces the brew-to-fermenter time.

I use this to mill the grain:

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/images/prod_basehop_img1_lg.jpg

I can go through about 20-25 pounds of unmilled grain in 3-5 minute. this requires a half-inch drill, because this mill would burn out a 3/8. I use a Makita 1/2" 8.5 amp spade handle drill -- this mill really grips onto the grain and pulls from you. Both the mill and the drill are serious workhorses.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/80/80a90e18-0836-4d72-ac49-198ee42a8c6c_300.jpg

We mash around 152-154 for an hour or more, then sparge for another 45-60 minutes.

So figure on at least another couple hours to brew time, probably more, but it is ABSOLUTELY worth it. I hope I never have to go back to those bags of extract again.

We don't bottle it -- we put it in Cornelius kegs and pressurize them. Beer on tap rules.

Seamus
2/17/2012, 05:39 PM
Also, for your mash tun or your hot liquor vessel, take a look at these at morebeer.com. The pots are layered and their heat retention is unbelievable:

morebeer.com (http://morebeer.com/search/103458/beerwinecoffee/coffeewinebeer/Heavy_Duty_Brew_Kettles_with_Ball_Valve)

I use a 15 gallon version as a mash tun and an 8 gallon for hot liquor.

http://morebeer.com/themes/morewinepro/thumbs/250x250/product_images/morebeer.com/1/7000.jpg

Sooner5030
2/17/2012, 10:19 PM
Also, for your mash tun or your hot liquor vessel, take a look at these at morebeer.com. The pots are layered and their heat retention is unbelievable:

morebeer.com (http://morebeer.com/search/103458/beerwinecoffee/coffeewinebeer/Heavy_Duty_Brew_Kettles_with_Ball_Valve)

I use a 15 gallon version as a mash tun and an 8 gallon for hot liquor.

http://morebeer.com/themes/morewinepro/thumbs/250x250/product_images/morebeer.com/1/7000.jpg

I used morebeer for my first kit and liked it. A good friend advised me to get the best kit at first or else the hobby would only last about one or two batches. I went with their #4 kit with the wort chiller. I'm still using 4 PET carboys though as I'm hesitant to use glass to ferment.

When I get time....and a house with a basement...I plan on reverse engineering something from http://www.brewzilla.nl/brewhalla.htm. But before I invest that much time and money I will want to work with someone that has one first.

I dont use morebeer for my ingredients though. I found a place in Ozark, MO that makes the shipping a lot less.

Where do you get your hops? I still used the prepackaged stuff.

Seamus
2/18/2012, 05:12 AM
I grow my own hops for our special beers late in the ale season. Cascade mostly, with some Nugget. Dying to get some Citra root stock. Cascade grows like a weed here in the Central Valley. We also planted some Willamette, but it's too hot for that variety.

The bulk of the hops I buy at the pound increment from a place called Puterbaugh Farms in the Yakima Valley. (http://www.hopsdirect.com/) Great prices, and I always feel like I'm getting top value. WAY below unit price at MoreBeer and other places I've shopped.

By the way, the main Morebeer showroom is near where I work. That's where I go to get my grain.

GottaHavePride
2/19/2012, 10:37 PM
Man, the beer geeks are crawling out of the woodwork! To the OP, I haven't really tried any barley wines yet. Side note: I really dig Boulevard's Tank 7 saison. I may try to replicate that soon.

I'm doing a nice Oktoberfest tomorrow. Going to toss it out in the garage for lagering.

StoopTroup
2/19/2012, 11:30 PM
I have found that I like the beers that I drink when I travel to a Country and I sample them there. For instances....in Ireland I tried many beers but the last week I was there...it was Smithwicks that won my heart while I was there. In Barbados....it was Banks Beer. Mexico...Tecate got me the first time but I have switched to Corona.

Now...not always do I find a beer I love when I visit a Country. It's just those that I mentioned that I would drink exclusively if say the US ever banned manufacturing beer here or found that it was better to outsource them all overseas. :D ;)

Imagine if SicEm couldn't get Zima anymore. Talk about cruel.

delhalew
2/22/2012, 08:05 PM
Man, the beer geeks are crawling out of the woodwork! To the OP, I haven't really tried any barley wines yet. Side note: I really dig Boulevard's Tank 7 saison. I may try to replicate that soon.

I'm doing a nice Oktoberfest tomorrow. Going to toss it out in the garage for lagering.

I am so gonna do a Tank 7 like brew soon. If the group buy I'm working on with some guys in Dallas goes through, I'll have some bulk grain , and will jump on the all grain train.

GottaHavePride
2/23/2012, 09:32 PM
From what I gather it's 70% 2-row, 20% corn, and 10% wheat. 8% alcohol or so, noble hops. Sounds fairly simple, really.

delhalew
2/23/2012, 11:40 PM
From what I gather it's 70% 2-row, 20% corn, and 10% wheat. 8% alcohol or so, noble hops. Sounds fairly simple, really.

Yeah, but I have my doubts about which yeast strain to use.

GottaHavePride
2/24/2012, 10:50 PM
True. I'll probably try out the Wyeast French saison version. Some of the other saison yeasts claim to be more "flowery", and I don't pick that up at all from Tank 7.

Of course, it could be that Boulevard just uses the same house yeast in all their brews...

delhalew
2/24/2012, 11:26 PM
As long as you don't use that 3711(?). I've heard it will attenuate down to zero. I also never got that level of drynessvout of Tank 7.