PDA

View Full Version : Bowl History

FirstAndGoalOU
5/16/2011, 08:23 PM
Games: 44 Record: 26-17-1 (60%
link..http://soonerstats.com/football/research/bowls.cfm?BowlID=All
How many have you attended, Memories or stories?
3 for me.
01 Orange Florida State
03 Rose Washington State
05 Orange USC

From very early in life, this one is were it started for me.
UYfLGWcWJlY
nHdYUz4W03A&NR

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 08:31 PM
Sorry...Just watch on TV. Never had a chance to see one in person, but have enjoyed watching all my life.:(

yermom
5/16/2011, 09:16 PM
2002 Cotton Bowl vs. Arkansas. it was way too early, and very cold. Hybl sets a Cotton Bowl record for completions, as we only score 10 points. we hold Matt Jones and co. to 3 points though.

2004 Sugar Bowl. i was above the endzone where we tried like a million times to score at the end of the game, and we couldn't really see that Clayton didn't make the catch. such a let down after the whole section was cheering :(

2005 Orange Bowl. ugh. looked like i was close enough to touch the F-18's in the flyover. such a great feeling up to about half way through the 1st quarter...

2005 Holiday Bowl. i was under the roof on the side where all the fireworks were. i could see the reflection of them on the other side and hear them. Ingram's INT to seal the win was greatness. The Idiot's spike was not... "Dixon Your Mouth" probably rivals "Tuck Fexas" for one of my favorite shirt designs :D

2007 Fiesta Bowl. Joe Jon Finley comes into the Tilted Kilt while we are watching other bowl games and says "no drama" Thompson proceeds to have the worst half of football of the season. one epic comeback and meltdown later and we get highlighted to death for a year or two.

2008 Fiesta Bowl. half the defense and our best receiver don't play. WV kills us without a coach.

2009 BCS National Championship, Miami, FL. i think we scalped the last pair of tickets after dodging the fakes and the shady security staff taking cash to let people in. St. Tebow has an extra gear in his heart...

2009 Sun Bowl. we were in the shade all day and fricking cold. Gerhard showed why he was the Heisman runner up, and they kept the game close. last year they had to plow snow off the field. perhaps they should change the name.

2010 Fiesta Bowl. also cold. i barely remember much about the game, other than how nice it was walking back to the car without the BCS monkey on my back :D

MeMyself&Me
5/16/2011, 09:30 PM
Only the BCSCG following the 2008 season. 0-1. :(

FirstAndGoalOU
5/16/2011, 09:44 PM
yermom, Wow, great post.
I'd like hear more about other great OU games you were at?

yermom
5/16/2011, 09:59 PM
most of the big ones were losses... i did make the last 4 of the 5 in a row streak against Texas though. those were all great in their own way :D

for the n00bs, with the Fiesta Bowl my streak is at 96, home and away. (2003 CCG to present)

i think i'm something like 100 behind Phil.

96 games, 74-22

121 total games, 98-23

9 bowl games, 4-5

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 10:02 PM
You have gone to 96 games?

texaspokieokie
5/17/2011, 08:15 AM
i estimate that my wife & i have been to 110 games in norman, plus others in dallas, fort worth, waco & big 12 champ game against colo, in houston.

also saw cotton bowl against AR. froze my *** off.

saw 1969 Rose Bowl, OSU vs USC. OJ had a long td run, but osu won.

also saw Cotton Bowl, 1976, AR vs Georgia.

Jacie
5/17/2011, 09:04 AM
1976 pre-BCS Fiesta Bowl against an overmatched Wyoming team. Met some crazy Cowboy's fans the night before while sampling Tempe nightlife (Two different bars and go kart racing). My friend and I painted a billboard with a Tempe police patrol car in sight about a block away but facing the other direction! A friend who was a starter on the defense said later that the team saw it and got a laugh out of it in the bus the next day on the way to the stadium.

1977 Orange Bowl debacle versus Arkie. Except for the game, it was a pretty good time. Stayed in one of those highrise hotels in Miami beach with an ocean view, watched the Goodyear blimp fly past our window day before the game and lower in altitude than we were. If there had been a balcony I could have waved at the guy in the gondola hanging his arm out the window. New Year's Eve, me & gf, both of us pretty wasted, managed (and we weren't trying, it just happened) to float a $50/head cover to a club along the strip past a line of people waiting to get in. Bus ride back to the hotel, were entertained by drunk Arkies singing school songs.

1977 Columbus, OH for epic Sooner 29-28 win over Woody Hayes & the buckeyes. Except for Stillwater, only other road game I have done (not counting Cotton Bowls and two bowl games).

Estimated total number of Sooner games attended in person: 130

SoonerNomad
5/17/2011, 05:43 PM
I have only been to 9 Sooner games in my life, with #10 coming up in Tallahassee in September. Two of those have been bowl games.

2005 Holiday Bowl v. Oregon - Ingram made the great play to seal things. Oregon's Coach Belloti should never have alternated Dixon with young Leaf. One of those things was not like the other and Oregon found that out the next year. The game was a defensive game, which I love.

2011 Fiesta Bowl v. UConn - I took my 15 year old to his first OU game. I hope he gets to see more than I have as the years go by. The game played out the way I thought it would with it never being in doubt. I do believe OU's interior defensive line was down last year. I am hoping for much more push up the middle in the coming fall.

Other games I have been fortunate enough to attend:

In Norman; 1979 v. Iowa State (W), 1979 v Colorado (W) (Billy Sims made a spectacular reception). Oklahoma scored 38 in each game.
In Dallas: 2002 (W 37-24) (Q snatched up that fumble and ran it in right in front of me), 2004 (W 14-7) (Adrian Peterson changed field position all day in a rainy game which OU dominated), 2006 (L 28-10) (Went to get a beer at halftime with OU up 10-7: barely back in seat and we were down by 11 and never in it again).
In Pasadena: loss to UCLA in September 2005 (I didn't think Maurice Jones-Drew was that good until that day)
In Seattle: route over Washingon in September 2008 (Broyles great play in the third quarter was incredible and Gresham was outstanding that night as well. Seeing Sam play live will be a lifetime memory).