PDA

View Full Version : HC power Rankings. Big 12-2

agoo758
5/16/2011, 07:15 PM
The following is my personal rank of each coach in the Big 12(?).
Try not to get too worked up over this ladies and gents. No exact science here, just a little fun thing I am going to try. Respectful disgreements welcome:)

Big 12-2

1. Bob Stoops- Nothing needs to be said, but I am going to say it anyway. 7 Big 12 Championships, 4 MNC appearances and 1 win, Ten Plus win seasons in all but 3 years, a winning record against every Big 12 opponent (including :texan:).That being said, I think Stoop's finest moment outside of the national championship is the 2006 season. Losing our starting quarterback, lose some schollies, coming off a disappointing season, and Pac-10 corruption in week 2 we had every excuse in the book to pout like Mack Brown does, and falls apart, instead, we win ten games and a Big 12 Championship with a rather unspectacular 2006 team. (Of course, credit also goes to the unselfish Paul Thompson for coming back to the QB position and playing rather well.)

2. Mack Brown- If this were a Power Ranking list for character, Brown would be at the Rock Bottom. It's nauseating how he couldn't get over the MNC lost to Alabama, sucks up to ESPN, throws coaches and players under the bus, makes excuses, and forgets to brush his teeth before he goes to bed. However, his long streak of 10 win seasons and a MNC win is proof that he is the second best coach in the conference even with the resources he has.

3. Mike Gundy- Gundy and Pinkle were very close, although I did decide to go with Gundy because he has a lot more recruiting competition being in the same state as OU, and that Stillwater is the most unpleasant place on earth. Diet Oklahoma is coming off of its best season yet and the standards for the football program are much higher than a few years ago ( for example, 09 was considered a disappointing season despite going 9-4) Add to the fact that the fact that Gundy was risking his reputation by sticking up for his player in a press conference (Unlike many people on this board, I support what Gundy did to that POS Carlson in 2007), and you got a coach that is much better than most on here give him credit for.
4. Gary Pinkle- Same story as Gundy, expectations at Missouri are a lot higher after success enjoyed the Pinkle Era. He also has done something Gundy hasn't done. Beaten us. :mad:
5. Mike Sherman- A good coach who doesn't get the love he deserved because of his flat demeanor. Contrary to popular belief, Sherman actually did a pretty good job at Green Bay, he could have been more sucessfull in the playoffs, but that is a different discussion. The point is, I thought he was a pretty good hire for the aggies, and if last season forshadowed the future, I will be right.

6. Bill Snyder- Probably a Top 5 Coach in the 90's, and he is already improving Kansas State in his two years there, look for K-State to break out this year and for Snyder to Move up this list.
7. Paul Rhodes- Ok. I LOVE this guy. He has been made rather popular ala Youtube, and you can help but admire his enthusiasm, his love for the state of Iowa, and improving Iowa State under his watch. Could possible be a rising star in the college.

8. Turner Gil- Here is a guy that everyone in this board seems to hate because he replaced a favorite: Mark Mangino. The Consensus seems to be that he is too soft to run a College football team with everyone forgetting that he brought a MAC championship to a Buffalo team that has been Pitiful Before or Since. The one knock against him that I agree with is the absolutely horrendous hiring of Chuck Long, although I am confident he will soon realize his mistake and rid of him soon. I am confident he will move up the list once he starts getting players.

9. When Tuberville was at Auburn, he was the Lloyd Carr of the SEC, not a horrible insult, but definitely not a compliment. This is a guy who has built his whole reputation off of one great season at Auburn, but he hasn't done anything outside of that, and frankly, I don't think he's all that good.

10. Art Briles. Don't let last year fool you. Baylor was a one trick pony, and it it is quite apparent how bad baylor is when they lose Robert Griffin. Briles won't be around much longer Griffin is gone.

I'll do other conferences when I feel like it, which will probably be never, anyway. Feel free to discuss.

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 07:34 PM
I honestly can't think of Mack Brown as the second-best coach in the Big XII. And not just for last year (I mean the guy did win the Big XII in 2009, with much luck against Nebraska), but even considering that: he is overpaid, soon to retire, and he is lucky to be in one of the greatest recruitng states in the United States. Maybe Sooner goggles here again, but I don't see it. Don't kill me if you think what I am saying is ridiculous.:rolleyes:

MeMyself&Me
5/16/2011, 07:42 PM
I'm also leaning toward the side of Brown being a bit overrated. He has access to the best riches and resources in the Big 12 and is the longest active Big 12 head coach.

Stoops certainly has achieved more with less so Stoops has to be above Brown. The rest is harder figure because none has won a NC and few have a won a CG but they are doing what they are doing with far less resources and with less of a recruiting base. Certainly Snyder but I've been impressed with how well Gundy has done with the Cowboys even if he can't topple the Sooners. Maybe it's time to think of him as better than Brown.

yermom
5/16/2011, 07:43 PM
he's no Stoops, but he's gotten it done. look where Texas was when he got there.

i can't really bag on Chuck 3rd and Long too much. 2002, 2003 and 2004 were pretty prolific offenses.

and if Art Briles wins a bowl game, his days is Waco are numbered, i'm thinking

agoo758
5/16/2011, 07:45 PM
I honestly can't think of Mack Brown as the second-best coach in the Big XII. And not just for last year (I mean the guy did win the Big XII in 2009, with much luck against Nebraska), but even considering that: he is overpaid, soon to retire, and he is lucky to be in one of the greatest recruitng states in the United States. Maybe Sooner goggles here again, but I don't see it. Don't kill me if you think what I am saying is ridiculous.:rolleyes:

It's a fair point that Brown might not be the second best coach in the conference anymore. However, I do feel last year to be too small a sample and wouldn't be surprised if Gilbert played a lot better and Texas Bounced Back

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 07:54 PM
I think by the time Texas plays Oklahoma, the Longhorns will have a new quarterback starting. Just my opinion.

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 08:13 PM
I'll do other conferences when I feel like it, which will probably be never, anyway. Feel free to discuss.

You should do a ranking of the top ten or fifteen nationally or one for the WAC, just because I want to know if you would put Chris Peterson ahead of Chris Ault.

agoo758
5/16/2011, 08:19 PM
Hmm... might do that next.

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 08:21 PM
Although, on second thought, doesn't Boise State move to the Mountain West Conference this season?

MeMyself&Me
5/16/2011, 09:41 PM
I do feel last year to be too small a sample...

I agree. But I felt this way prior to last year. With recruiting advantages that Tejas has and the financial and alumni advantage that Tejas has, they should be dominating this conference in football. They haven't been. They've been a distant second in terms of real accomplishment since Brown has been there and he's been there longer than any other Big 12 coach.

A distant second with other schools biting on their heals I might add.

I've come to believe that the longer Brown is at Tejas, the better.

Sooner_Tuf
5/16/2011, 10:21 PM
If you count Bo Pellini as gone (July 1st) I think Gary Pinkel is probably the second best coach in the Big XII. An argument could be made for Mike Gundy as well.

Mack Brown is probably the fifth best coach in the Big XII at best.

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 10:25 PM
If you count Bo Pellini as gone (July 1st) I think Gary Pinkel is probably the second best coach in the Big XII. An argument could be made for Mike Gundy as well.

Mack Brown is probably the fifth best coach in the Big XII at best.

Based on actual coaching ability, that is correct. He is in not one of, but the best recruiting state in the U.S. and has very much help from the higher-ups.

texaspokieokie
5/17/2011, 08:06 AM
CA is a good state to recruit.

Mark_in_Tulsa
5/17/2011, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't put Mack that high.

With the support, money, facilities, fan base, and recruitment base that Texass has, they should be consistently better and more dominate than they have been the last 10 years or so.

But then again they do have to fight Karma, with their state being full of *********s and all.

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't put Mack that high.

With the support, money, facilities, fan base, and recruitment base that Texass has, they should be consistently better and more dominate than they have been the last 10 years or so.

But then again they do have to fight Karma, with their state being full of *********s and all.

Agree. Mack has way too much at his disposal to not to be winning tons of games every year.