PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever quit chew/dip?

Peach Fuzz
5/16/2011, 06:52 PM
been struggling lately. I was getting used to beef jerky but man I just was a fatass chaw right now... If any of yall have advice, I'd give em a try. Surely someone here used to fiend over a juicy big black dip in their mouth...

:hmmm looks like im ruhtarded wrong board...my bad

cvsooner
5/16/2011, 07:14 PM
Yup. Wrong board and all. But...all I'd have to do is look at some of those pictures of people who've lost tongues and jawbones and whatnot from using that deadly stuff. You wouldn't put a loaded gun into your mouth with your finger on the trigger, would you? That's EXACTLY what you're doing.

There is no safe use for tobacco. None. The worst stuff in it is extracted to make deadly insecticides, for crying out loud.

mgsooner
5/16/2011, 07:21 PM
Surely someone here used to fiend over a juicy big black dip in their mouth...

:pop:

agoo758
5/16/2011, 07:24 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.throughwithchew.com/images/logo.jpg

Dipping is all Texans do in their spare time. Don't be a Texan.

Ruf/Nek7
5/16/2011, 07:29 PM
Yup. Wrong board and all. But...all I'd have to do is look at some of those pictures of people who've lost tongues and jawbones and whatnot from using that deadly stuff. You wouldn't put a loaded gun into your mouth with your finger on the trigger, would you? That's EXACTLY what you're doing.

There is no safe use for tobacco. None. The worst stuff in it is extracted to make deadly insecticides, for crying out loud.

That is no lie right there! I watched a 20/20 special on a 20 year old young man who was diagnosed with mouth cancer and lost his face in a matter of years.
What helped me were sunflower seeds. Tons and tons of sunflower seeds.

MeMyself&Me
5/16/2011, 07:31 PM
After learning that tobacco was a stimulant, I tried some back in college days as ways to stay up studying when caffeine wasn't doing the trick. Was tough quitting in the end but what did it for me was doing a little of what cvsooner said and also thinking about what my family, specifically my kids, would think of me.

While the smell of the stuff makes me want to puke now when I'm around someone that uses the stuff, I will admit that the craving is still there after a large meal... and it's been years.

ashley
5/16/2011, 08:20 PM
I was a football coach. My ag teacher quit right after they took off his lower jaw.

gaylordfan1
5/16/2011, 09:04 PM
Its the hardest thing in the world to do! I just recently relapsed after going 2 months without. Im in the medical field and I personally know many doctors that dip. Dipping isn't safe at all, but most mouth cancers are caused by smoking in combination with drinking. Man, that nicorette gum helped a lot! But theres nothing like a stressful event in ones life that throws you off the wagon.

gaylordfan1
5/16/2011, 09:05 PM
PS, I do have a lip full as I type.

soonerinabilene
5/16/2011, 09:09 PM
Smoky mountain herbal snuff. 100% safe, nicotine free. feels exactly like a dip ib cv your mouth. Just remember, after the first 3 days, the physical addiction is gone. Its all mental after that.

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 09:12 PM
Nothing is ever 100% safe.

JLEW1818
5/16/2011, 09:15 PM
i quit about 3 years ago. I've gained 30 pounds.

Sooner_Tuf
5/16/2011, 09:49 PM
I have always found a fresh can of SKOAL or Copenhagen takes the urge right away. Until it hits again.

BOB LABLAW
5/16/2011, 10:10 PM
I can't believe this post is on here right now! I just made 2 days without. It suuuuucks. Thanks for the tip about the fake stuff, I'll give it a try. Wish I would have never started. Keeps me from choking folks though.

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 10:15 PM
Never started, never will.

SoonerNate
5/16/2011, 10:19 PM
I have always found a fresh can of SKOAL or Copenhagen takes the urge right away. Until it hits again.

This.

Also if you want to quit move to Palm Beach County. It costs $7.00 for a can here.

We-TownSooner
5/16/2011, 11:03 PM
This.

Also if you want to quit move to Palm Beach County. It costs $7.00 for a can here.

that wont make some people quit

SCOUT
5/16/2011, 11:10 PM
I dipped for a very long time and quit about two years ago. I don't like sunflower seeds and I thought that mint stuff was too dry. I actually quit by keeping a glass of water with me at all times. The first few days are the toughest but after that the glass of water filled the habit of spitting.

Worked for me.

yermom
5/16/2011, 11:11 PM
Never started, never will.

so your solution is a time machine. bold choice.

:D

Sooner_Tuf
5/17/2011, 01:27 AM
so your solution is a time machine. bold choice.

LoL

OutlandTrophy
5/17/2011, 06:24 AM
I quit Copenhagen 7 months ago using Chantix for roughly a month before I quit. I still have urges as a few of the guys I work with dip but they are not that bad anymore.

I highly recommend Chantix for an easy way to quit.

Okieflyer
5/17/2011, 06:26 AM
I ate Certs by the case when I quit.

Romulus
5/17/2011, 08:22 AM
I was a can of Copenhagen a day guy for five years, sunflower seeds were my crutch to break the habit.
I had to keep my mouth busy and full.

The Profit
5/17/2011, 08:26 AM
I quit spit tobacco (copenhagen, skoal and finally Kodiak) on Oct. 20 after 30 years. It was not easy, and I still have the urge when I see someone dipping, but I have put that behind me.

Taxman71
5/17/2011, 08:30 AM
I quit Copenhagen after 10 years of dipping, a can every couple of days. Cold Turkey. What did it for me was occupying myself during or eliminating situations when I always craved a dip. Soon, I didn't even crave it anymore and forgot all about it.

texaspokieokie
5/17/2011, 08:39 AM
not trying to be a "wise-***"; but i never could understand how anyone would put that stuff in their mouth.

OUmillenium
5/17/2011, 08:42 AM
I think a lot of chewing gum would help. Hard to deal with sunflower seeds at a desk job, could get messy. I am fortunate in that I have never been addicted. I dipped/chewed occasionally in late grade school-HS with certain friends. Occasionally in college to stay awake to study. And occasionally now but I might go a year without any and not even miss it. Sort of do it just during baseball season now, and not bery often at that.

The Profit
5/17/2011, 08:47 AM
not trying to be a "wise-***"; but i never could understand how anyone would put that stuff in their mouth.

Kind of like jacking off. Once you start, its pretty damn hard to quit.

Sooner in Tampa
5/17/2011, 08:53 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

texaspokieokie
5/17/2011, 08:53 AM

never seen a guy with a chew get his load. mostly just spits a little @ a time.

DRLSooner
5/17/2011, 12:29 PM
I quit cold turkey on Feb. 1st. I never really even thought about quitting because I've always enjoyed it so much, but one day in casual conversation my 8 year-old daughter asked me why I did it, and told me that she thought it was disgusting.

I asked her if I could have 3 more days to enjoy it, she said yes, but I only used one of them.

It was very hard at first, but not really a physical craving... I just missed having it in my mouth when I was outdoors or driving. Even now when I'm mowing, fishing, playing cards, that kinda stuff, I still miss it. I'll never do it again though, I made a promise to my little girl.

Hang in there man, it can be done.

SoCaliSooner
5/17/2011, 12:36 PM
I was a can of Copenhagen a day guy for five years, sunflower seeds were my crutch to break the habit.

Wow. This I never knew.

Pogue Mahone
5/17/2011, 01:03 PM
I did it for 22 years, starting on a bet that I couldn't do it and not get sick.

Well, it got to the point where people thought I carried too much in my wallet (There was a can of Copenhagen behind it.), and I drank too much coffee. I gave up using a spit cup about four years in. I had a dip in when I met my wife, one in during a test for a job, and I'd dip in the synagogue.

I don't think it's a primary contributor to the $15,000 in dental work I've had as an adult, but it sure didn't help.

I quit in 2004. I bought Nicorette gum in Costco and allowed myself to chew as much as I needed whenever I needed it, which started at about 60 mg per day. After a week or so, I went down 1 mg per day for about a month. I switched to a grocery store brand because I enjoyed the Nicorette, and that wasn't the point. Jumping from 4mg to zero was easier than I thought.

On the minus side, I don't go two days without wanting one. I thought about a dip 45 minutes before I saw this thread.

Quitting is a real accomplishment. Good luck.

JDMT
5/17/2011, 01:08 PM

Hope they don't have to remove my face!!!

JDMT
5/17/2011, 01:10 PM
Wow. This I never knew.

You know rom likes to keep his mouth full.

2121Sooner
5/17/2011, 01:12 PM
I did. I was in 6th grade and tried chewing for the first time. Chewed Coppenhagen......threw up.....quit cold turkey.

Hope this helps.

DRLSooner
5/17/2011, 02:48 PM
I did. I was in 6th grade and tried chewing for the first time. Chewed Coppenhagen......threw up.....quit cold turkey.

Hope this helps.

You're a trooper. Good work. :D