PDA

View Full Version : Sam Speaks About OU's Title Chances and the Rams

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 04:25 PM
From The Oklahoman:

Saturday night at the first Sooner Spectacular, a bronze statue of his likeness was unveiled that soon will be transported to Heisman Park outside Memorial Stadium.

Before the banquet in his honor — which also helped raise money for OU's new athletic dorm — Bradford spoke with The Oklahoman about the NFL Lockout, new OU offensive coordinator Josh Heupel and the 2011 Sooners:

What do you think of the Sooners going into next season?

“I think they've got a shot to be great. If you look at all the guys that have experience, experience playing in big games, they didn't lose a lot from last year. I think they've got a shot to be a legitimate national championship team. Hopefully they can. I would love to see that.”

What specifically do you like about them?

“I'm excited, being with Coach Heupel for four years, him being my quarterback coach, and now the fact he's going to offensive coordinator or the co-offensive coordinator and have a major hand in play-calling, I'm really looking forward to that. If the Fiesta Bowl is any indication of what this year is going to be like, they're going to throw it a lot. Think they're going to spread the ball out, and they're going to be fun to watch.”

What are your thoughts about Heupel taking over?

“He's going to work harder than anyone. I think that's one of the things I learned from my time at OU. In order to be successful on the field, you have to put in the time, and you have to put in the work. There's no doubt he's going to do that. I think he's going to be a great example for all the younger guys on the team. I think he's going to expect a lot out of everyone on the offense. It's always been my opinion that when you're expected to play at a high level you tend to rise to that level. I really think that's what's going to happen this year.”

Having gone through the pressure of being a Heisman contender, have you had any conversations with Landry Jones?

“I haven't talked to him about it. And I probably wouldn't, to be honest. I think that's something that if he's thinking about it, it needs to go to the back of his head. You can't go out there and play for things like that. You play to win the game, you play to hopefully win the Big 12 championship and go on to the national championship. I think if you focus on those two things, awards like the Heisman will come.”

Do you think the new athletic dorm will help in recruiting?

“I do. I really do. I've never seen other athletic dorms. But I've heard stories about how nice they are. I can tell you from being at OU that we are a little behind the times with our dorms there. I think raising money for new athletic dorms is really going to help.”

How is everything going in St. Louis?

“Last year, it was a lot. But it was fun. I had an absolute blast. I learned a lot. We progressed as an offense each week, I think I got better as a player each week. If you look at our offense and what our coaches did, they threw a lot at me. That's something I take a lot of pride in. This year, it will be back to square one with a new offensive coordinator. If you look as Josh (McDaniels) and what he's done in the past, his offenses have had some really explosive offenses and put up a lot of numbers and points. I think it will give us the opportunity to be a little bit more explosive this year. Hopefully we can get to work soon.”

How are you handling the lockout?

“It's unfortunate, but everyone is dealing with it. Everyone who plays professional football is dealing with it. I'm just trying to make the most of it, get as much work in as I can right now and when we get the call to go back in, I'll be ready.”

JLEW1818
5/16/2011, 04:34 PM
any new toys yet? House, car , jet???

i seen during week 17 that he only got a ping pong table.

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 04:42 PM
:P From nbcsports.com:

The Rams made quarterback Sam Bradford the first overall pick in the draft. The Rams gave Bradford a contract with $24 million guaranteed on signing, and $26 million more likely guaranteed in due time.

So how has he used that money?

He bought a ping-pong table.

Bradford offered up that factoid during an interview with Al Michaels of Sunday Night Football.

SoonerDomiNation
5/16/2011, 05:44 PM
Reckon it came from walmart? Lol.

olevetonahill
5/16/2011, 06:58 PM
any new toys yet? House, car , jet???

i seen during week 17 that he only got a ping pong table.

But its a "Really nice ping pong table"

texaspokieokie
5/17/2011, 08:22 AM
S of A; more good stuff !!!

oudavid1
5/17/2011, 11:32 AM
"I really like Landry Jones, I mean even his interceptions are cool. Way cooler than mine" -Sam Bradford

:D

BTW: he didnt really say that. But we all think it.

SoonerofAlabama
5/17/2011, 04:49 PM
INTs are never cool unless a superhero (for example: superman) flies into the quarterback and over a running back to seal a victory for a certain crimson and cream colored team.

SunnySooner
5/18/2011, 07:00 AM
Could Sam have pulled a Jordan Shipley and medically redshirted the '09 season? If so, '10 would have been his junior year, and he could've come back for '11, his senior year.

I think our chances would have been pretty good in that scenario. ;)

S'ok, Landry ain't Sam, but he ain't exactly chopped liver. Here's to ANOTHER Heisman-winning Sooner QB, THE 'STACHE!!!!!! :D :D :D

SoonerofAlabama
5/18/2011, 07:06 AM
Hope so, it is time Landry gets some national credit. He has been good, but it is his team this coming year. Time to shine.

texaspokieokie
5/18/2011, 08:21 AM
Could Sam have pulled a Jordan Shipley and medically redshirted the '09 season? If so, '10 would have been his junior year, and he could've come back for '11, his senior year.

I think our chances would have been pretty good in that scenario. ;)

S'ok, Landry ain't Sam, but he ain't exactly chopped liver. Here's to ANOTHER Heisman-winning Sooner QB, THE 'STACHE!!!!!! :D :D :D

Sam gave a year that might not have been prudent. maybe he wanted to see what it's like to be a brazillianaire. he needed a new ping-pong table.
(a nice one).

oudavid1
5/18/2011, 08:32 AM
I think we are better off with the way it turned out. I dont think Sam gets a redshirt. We have LJ and he is doing just fine.

texaspokieokie
5/18/2011, 08:37 AM
I think we are better off with the way it turned out. I dont think Sam gets a redshirt. We have LJ and he is doing just fine.

JMHO
Sam would've been foolish to stay another year.

JMHO

oudavid1
5/18/2011, 08:44 AM
JMHO

JMHO

I agree. Besides, Landry actually has won a bowl game.

2 in fact!

BoulderSooner79
5/18/2011, 10:18 AM
JMHO

JMHO

That's an easy one given the labor situation. The only issue worth speculating about is whether he should have gone the year before. Avoiding Detroit may have made the '09 grief worth it, but it's not clear Detroit would have taken him. He wasn't a lock on #1 that year if you believe the analyst and Detroit claimed that Stafford was their guy from day one. Of course, Sam going to the combine might have changed that. Sam may have ended up on a better team or in a better organization than the Rams. I suspect Sam planned to come back all along and finish his degree, but it's always fun to play "what if".