PDA

View Full Version : All things Stout.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 09:39 AM
Dry Irish Stout. Guinness is probably the beer most responsible for my love of beer. Ranging from the lighter frothy draught to the powerful Foreign Extra Stout, Irish Dry Stout equals good ****.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/162

Milk/Sweet Stout.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/82

Oatmeal Stout.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/69

Russian Imperial Stout
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/84

Peach Fuzz
5/16/2011, 09:42 AM
Not that I would know, but Guinness has the consistency of horse jizz... milky beer= no

mgsooner
5/16/2011, 09:42 AM
Samuel Smith's. Heaven.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 09:44 AM
The story behind the Russian Imperial Stout...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/18/AR2007121800412.html

C&CDean
5/16/2011, 09:45 AM
Stouts I know a little more about. Very little...

I really like the Samuel Smith and the Guinness Foreign Extra. They've had both at pint night at Abner's and I buy the little 4-packs of the GFE at the liquor store. Great beer to drink with a rare steak.

Peach Fuzz
5/16/2011, 09:46 AM
Actually I'm interested in that Russian one... sounds like a sam adams irish red

mgsooner
5/16/2011, 09:49 AM
Not that I would know, but Guinness has the consistency of horse jizz... milky beer= no

Drink a lot of horse jizz, do ya?

Peach Fuzz
5/16/2011, 10:00 AM
prove it

delhalew
5/16/2011, 10:07 AM
Actually I'm interested in that Russian one... sounds like a sam adams irish red

You will find the two have little in common. The Irish red is toasty and lightly hopped, while the Imperial Stout is ROASTY, much more hoppy, and as high as 10% abv.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 10:09 AM

I really like the Samuel Smith and the Guinness Foreign Extra. They've had both at pint night at Abner's and I buy the little 4-packs of the GFE at the liquor store. Great beer to drink with a rare steak.

If your in the mood for a thick, dark beer, it's hard to go wrong.

+1 on the bloody slab of beef.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 10:13 AM
http://www.blogbff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/resampled_Old-Rasputin.jpg

delhalew
5/16/2011, 10:16 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/3111944002_9afd7500ee.jpg

KantoSooner
5/16/2011, 10:17 AM
I know it has it's devotees but I don't like Guinness much. Too bitter and heavy.
Happily, I've found an alternative: Murphys. If you haven't tried it, there are an increasing number of bars offering it in Oklahoma.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 10:21 AM
If you want a Guinness, Dean and I agree, this is the one to have.
http://brewforia.s3.amazonaws.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/u/guinness_foreign_extra_stout_us_goblet.jpg

mgsooner
5/16/2011, 10:24 AM
Maybe it's just me but if you find a good draught Guinness it is neither bitter nor heavy. In fact it's one of the smoothest drinking beers around. At least for me.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 10:24 AM
...But if you be a fat ****, and think you can't drink a good beer, these have just a hair over a hundred calories.

OhU1
5/16/2011, 10:25 AM
I toured the Guinness Brewery in Dublin and had a few when I was there. But I've never much cared for it and don't get the appeal of dry stout.

Russian Imperial stout is heaven - black as used motor oil and tastes better as it warms up to near room temperature. Rasputin is good and relatively cheap. Great Divide Yeti is even better. Avery "The Czar" is 11.5% but drinks very smoothly.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 10:26 AM
Maybe it's just me but if you find a good draught Guinness it is neither bitter nor heavy. In fact it's one of the smoothest drinking beers around. At least for me.

Absolutely right. Easy. Drinking.

Edit: I dig the Foreign, because I like bitter and heavy.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 10:30 AM
I toured the Guinness Brewery in Dublin and had a few when I was there. But I've never much cared for it and don't get the appeal of dry stout.

Russian Imperial stout is heaven - black as used motor oil and tastes better as it warms up to near room temperature. Rasputin is good and relatively cheap. Great Divide Yeti is even better. Avery "The Czar" is 11.5% but drinks very smoothly.

Full Disclosure: I've never met a Stout I didn't like. I have a problem.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 10:36 AM
I know it has it's devotees but I don't like Guinness much. Too bitter and heavy.
Happily, I've found an alternative: Murphys. If you haven't tried it, there are an increasing number of bars offering it in Oklahoma.

Murphy's is solid, as is Bodington's.

prrriiide
5/16/2011, 10:51 AM
I have a really tasty chocolate-almond stout that I did last fall. Everyone liked it so much it'll probably be my next contest entry. The flavors are really subtle, so they actually enhance the flavor of the stout without adding much of their own.

Oh, and if you want a commercially-available one, get Zonker from Snake River Brewing (http://www.snakeriverbrewing.com/) in Jackson Hole. It is the best stout I've ever tasted, and second place isn't even in sight.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 10:58 AM
I have a really tasty chocolate-almond stout that I did last fall. Everyone liked it so much it'll probably be my next contest entry. The flavors are really subtle, so they actually enhance the flavor of the stout without adding much of their own.

Oh, and if you want a commercially-available one, get Zonker from Snake River Brewing (http://www.snakeriverbrewing.com/) in Jackson Hole. It is the best stout I've ever tasted, and second place isn't even in sight.

Did you get the chocolate flavor from your malt bill, or add cocoa?

OhU1
5/16/2011, 10:59 AM
Anyone had the Boulevard Chocolate Stout ("Smokestack series")? My brother in law says they sold out in Tulsa and Kansas City quickly. He bought 10 bottles (about $100 worth) and says it's amazing.

Position Limit
5/16/2011, 11:00 AM
beamish for me. guiness is mothers milk though. i dont mind the occasional russian imperial stout, it just seems like there is too much going on in the beer. sam smith oatmeal is okay but not worth the price with compared to other beers in it's class.

StoopTroup
5/16/2011, 11:06 AM
Murphy's>Guiness

http://www.ratewall.com/cpics/08751ebe-e425-48f7-bde1-5a7cde40de18_beer_Murphys_IrishStout.jpg

Position Limit
5/16/2011, 11:11 AM
beamish>murphy's

StoopTroup
5/16/2011, 11:14 AM
Beamish is OK. Better than Guiness.

prrriiide
5/16/2011, 11:42 AM
Did you get the chocolate flavor from your malt bill, or add cocoa?

16oz. pure cocoa powder at flame-out. 3 oz. almond extract at bottling. Kinda hard to get that much chocolate flavor from just the malt. Chocolate malt will add just a hint of flavor, and I did use a couple of pounds. But more for color. In order to pull enough flavor from the malt, I'd have had to use so much of it that there wouldn't be any alcohol in it. Kinda defeats the point.

+1 on the Old Rasputin. Rogue Shakespeare is really good as is Orkney Dragonhead.

C&CDean
5/16/2011, 01:29 PM

This. However, it's all about the pour. There's a bar called Murphy's in Alexandria Old Town where I've never had a bad pour of Guinness. Right down the street is a fancy-schmancy Irish pub called O'Connell's and they can't pour a Guinness to save their asses. Cale at Abner's pours a pretty good one.

MR2-Sooner86
5/16/2011, 01:46 PM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m109/beanbone/Youngs_Double_Chocolate_Stout_200.jpg

Anybody try this one yet?
http://www.beeraday.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/sa-imperial-stout-bottle-and-glass.jpg

However nothing can ever top my first true love.

http://www.enjoyart.com/library/food_drink/beer/large/2300-1261.jpg

Mongo
5/16/2011, 01:47 PM
mmmm, horse jizz

C&CDean
5/16/2011, 01:47 PM
Brilliant!!1!

delhalew
5/16/2011, 01:50 PM
This. However, it's all about the pour. There's a bar called Murphy's in Alexandria Old Town where I've never had a bad pour of Guinness. Right down the street is a fancy-schmancy Irish pub called O'Connell's and they can't pour a Guinness to save their asses. Cale at Abner's pours a pretty good one.

Guinness is poured using a nitrogen/CO2 mixture rather than straight CO2. The psi has to be much lower as the Stout is forced through the tap. This provides the cascade we have come to know. Guinness reps are supposed to check the system when they stop by, but in the hands of a clueless bar staff, it's one more thing to screw up.

Mjcpr
5/16/2011, 01:51 PM
You could pour it through solid gold tubing and a diamond tap and it will still taste like ***.

C&CDean
5/16/2011, 01:52 PM
You could pour it through solid gold tubing and a diamond tap and it will still taste like ***.

STFU Pat and go have a wine cooler.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 01:55 PM
STFU Pat and go have a wine cooler.

Maybe we can get him one of those Bacardi thingies.

Mongo
5/16/2011, 01:56 PM

coming from the clamato beer drinker and oily cracker eater

Mjcpr
5/16/2011, 01:57 PM
coming from the clamato beer drinker and oily cracker eater

Hesh up your mouf. That clamato beer stuff is the ****titz.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 02:03 PM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m109/beanbone/Youngs_Double_Chocolate_Stout_200.jpg

Anybody try this one yet?

I keep meaning to. Youngs is an example of a sweet Stout. I tend to stay away from beers with adjuncts like cocoa, but I'll bet I would like it.

ouduckhunter
5/16/2011, 02:34 PM
I love Stout beer. It is my beer of choice, especially in cooler weather which covers most of the year out here! We go to a great local place where they have beers from all over this country, and the world in walk in cooler cases. They have a rotating line up on tap too. You pick what ever beer you want out of the cooler, sit down and drink it there, or take it home. I've tried quite a few of the Stouts from your link, and love them all! We can typically find some good Stouts on tap in a lot of restaurants, pubs, etc. out here too, so it's fun to experiment.

We were at our local spot this weekend, and I tried a new Porter that I love too. It's from Hop Valley Brewing Co. out of Springfield, OR, and it's called VIP Porter. VIP = Vanilla Infused Porter. Doesn't sound so great, but they had it on tap, and it is smooth, and really good. I thought it had a hint of chocolate in it instead of the vanilla because it's really subtle. It was good enough that I bought a few bottles to take home. It's probably not in wide distribution, but if you ever see it, buy a bottle and try it.

Cheers!! :)

delhalew
5/16/2011, 02:38 PM
Enjoy living in the heart of America's beer renaissance.

Fraggle145
5/16/2011, 03:04 PM

You going tonight? I'm thinking about it.

C&CDean
5/16/2011, 03:06 PM
Nay. We were going to but since the wind is so calm I gotta go get some more pasture sprayed. Next Monday is Hoegaarden. I'm in then.

Fraggle145
5/16/2011, 03:09 PM

Did you know that if they pour it wrong you can report them to Guiness and they could lose their ability to sell it. Look it up its twue.

They are supposed to pour to 3/4 full and let it settle and then pour the remaining 1/4. They are supposed to leave an impression of a clover in the head of the beer as they finish off the pour. That is the signature Guiness pour.

Fraggle145
5/16/2011, 03:09 PM
Nay. We were going to but since the wind is so calm I gotta go get some more pasture sprayed. Next Monday is Hoegaarden. I'm in then.

Not sure if I'll be here next Monday, but if I will be I will let ya know.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 03:23 PM
BTW, if any of you rowdy ****ers want to drink a car bomb, don't be a *****. Leave out the Irish cream. It just curdles anyway. That is valuable space that could be occupied by Irish whiskey.:D

C&CDean
5/16/2011, 03:25 PM
BTW, if any of you rowdy ****er want to drink a car bomb, don't be *****. Leave out the Irish cream. It just curdles anyway. That is valuable space that could be occupied by Irish whiskey.:D

I'm good for about 2-3 car bombs a year. Of course I've always got my Irish in a separate glass (which is my primary drink of choice), and the car bomb is my version of a shot.

StoopTroup
5/16/2011, 03:27 PM
McNellie's in Tulsa does a good car bomb. They keep it right next to the Pub Burger on the menu I think.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 03:42 PM
Mmmm
http://www.tipplesbrews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/blackandtan.jpg

ouduckhunter
5/16/2011, 03:42 PM
BTW, if any of you rowdy ****ers want to drink a car bomb, don't be a *****. Leave out the Irish cream. It just curdles anyway. That is valuable space that could be occupied by Irish whiskey.:D

Funny you should mention a car bomb. I've got a couple of much younger friends, and everytime we go out lately, they order them. They practically have to beg the waitress/bartender to serve them one, but they get no hassle when they order shots. Guess that I need to try one to see what all the hubbub is about!

delhalew
5/16/2011, 03:54 PM
Funny you should mention a car bomb. I've got a couple of much younger friends, and everytime we go out lately, they order them. They practically have to beg the waitress/bartender to serve them one, but they get no hassle when they order shots. Guess that I need to try one to see what all the hubbub is about!

Back when I used to go get hammered EVERY night, I always started with a car bomb. You know how chugging a glass of chocolate milk just sort of happens without much effort? It's like that.

No need to be a pain in the barkeeps ***. Just order a Guinness draught and a shot of Irish whiskey(Jameson for me). Drink a couple of inches of Guinness, punk, and away we go. The Irish cream is wholly unnecessary.

JohnnyMack
5/16/2011, 04:20 PM
Old Rasputin is in my opinion the best widely available Imperial Stout around.

And Guinness isn't dark or heavy. It's low cal, low ABV and pairs well with a wide array of food.

As far as world class Imperial Stouts are concerned, of course there is Dark Lord from Three Floyds and Alesmith's Speedway Stout. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is big and boozy, while Founders Breakfast Stout has amazing chocolate flavor.

Another top notch Imperial Stout you can find locally is Great Divide's Yeti. They had the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti a few months back, it's probably gone now and their regular Oak Aged Yeti is a good one that'll knock your dick in the dirt.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 04:25 PM
Old Rasputin is in my opinion the best widely available Imperial Stout around.

And Guinnessdraught isn't dark or heavy. It's low cal, low ABV and pairs well with a wide array of food.

As far as world class Imperial Stouts are concerned, of course there is Dark Lord from Three Floyds and Alesmith's Speedway Stout. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is big and boozy, while Founders Breakfast Stout has amazing chocolate flavor.

Another top notch Imperial Stout you can find locally is Great Divide's Yeti. They had the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti a few months back, it's probably gone now and their regular Oak Aged Yeti is a good one that'll knock your dick in the dirt.

That needs to be specified, as it has little in common with foreign extra.

MeMyself&Me
5/16/2011, 04:33 PM
Oh man! I don't look in the SO very often and when I did this time I see I'm missing a beer discussion... a GOOD beer discussion! :)

Guinness Draught was the first beer I actually liked. Before I was 21, I just drank whatever someone handed me which was typically American swill. I drank it cause it was what was offered but I really didn't think I liked beer... didn't know at the time how different beer can be. Shortly after turning 21, a bartender overheard me tell someone that I didn't like beer and he interrupted me to offer me this back pint of Guinness. Oh heaven in a glass! I became a lover of "dark beer" after that.

A few years later, I started making my own beer and over time, I've learned that I actually favor pale hoppy beers more than anything (not to the point of exclusion of anything though) and I really prefer Robust Porter to a stout of any kind but I always have a soft spot for that Guinness Draught.

One thing that I get annoyed with is people generally portraying Guinness Draught as filling and high alcohol though. The fullness comes from the nitro head, not the gravity of the beer so it's all in your 'head' you fools! And the notion it's high alcohol comes from the ignorance that 'dark' means 'strong'.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 04:42 PM
Oh man! I don't look in the SO very often and when I did this time I see I'm missing a beer discussion... a GOOD beer discussion! :)

Guinness Draught was the first beer I actually liked. Before I was 21, I just drank whatever someone handed me which was typically American swill. I drank it cause it was what was offered but I really didn't think I liked beer... didn't know at the time how different beer can be. Shortly after turning 21, a bartender overheard me tell someone that I didn't like beer and he interrupted me to offer me this back pint of Guinness. Oh heaven in a glass! I became a lover of "dark beer" after that.

A few years later, I started making my own beer and over time, I've learned that I actually favor pale hoppy beers more than anything (not to the point of exclusion of anything though) and I really prefer Robust Porter to a stout of any kind but I always have a soft spot for that Guinness Draught.

One thing that I get annoyed with is people generally portraying Guinness Draught as filling and high alcohol though. The fullness comes from the nitro head, not the gravity of the beer so it's all in your 'head' you fools! And the notion it's high alcohol comes from the ignorance that 'dark' means 'strong'.

Well, we've done one every weekday for the last week and a half or something. So look back or search for ale/ales, ESB, porter...and the like. We've had some good beer talks.

OhU1
5/16/2011, 04:45 PM
Well, we've done one every weekday for the last week and a half or something. So look back or search for ale/ales, ESB, porter...and the like. We've had some good beer talks.

When do we do low calorie light lager? (the best selling beer in the U.S.? :( )

delhalew
5/16/2011, 04:47 PM

We can do American Lager. They don't all suck. It's just hard to find one brewed with quality in mind.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 04:51 PM

Did you ever watch the documentary Beer Wars? The machine Anny Bush uses to control the market is incredible.

OhU1
5/16/2011, 04:56 PM
We can do American Lager. They don't all suck. It's just hard to find one brewed with quality in mind.

I'm thinking. Hard.

To be fair light lager doesn't give you a lot to work with to begin with. Brew it to contain 100 calories and you are closer to barley flavored water than beer. The ironic thing is that this weak uninteresting style would also be about the toughest to brew at home.

OhU1
5/16/2011, 05:00 PM
Did you ever watch the documentary Beer Wars? The machine Anny Bush uses to control the market is incredible.

I may have, I try to catch any show I can related to beer.

I did do a presentation/project on AB at OU way back when I was in undergrad. I respect the Bud machine as a business power, just not as a brewer.

JohnnyMack
5/16/2011, 05:01 PM

There aren't many that's for sure.

Yuengling? Harp?

StoopTroup
5/16/2011, 05:03 PM
Mmmm
http://www.tipplesbrews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/blackandtan.jpg

1/2 Stout? Full Pint. :D

delhalew
5/16/2011, 05:03 PM
I'm thinking. Hard.

To be fair light lager doesn't give you a lot to work with to begin with. Brew it to contain 100 calories and you are closer to barley flavored water than beer. The ironic thing is that this weak uninteresting style would also be about the toughest to brew at home.

I'll find some when the time comes. As far as big brands are concerned, I always thought Michelob was top of the heap. There has to be some craft versions though. You should prolly just drink a Munich Hellas.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 05:07 PM

Yuengling? Harp?

Thank you. I forgot about Yuengling.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 05:10 PM
I may have, I try to catch any show I can related to beer.

I did do a presentation/project on AB at OU way back when I was in undergrad. I respect the Bud machine as a business power, just not as a brewer.

The control they have over distribution is DISGUSTING.

MeMyself&Me
5/16/2011, 05:12 PM

And I thought lake of quality was a requirement. I don't think much of harp or yeuling lager either.

Saw it in the theater. Pretty good but it was definitrly made for people like us.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 05:22 PM
And I thought lake of quality was a requirement. I don't think much of harp or yeuling lager either.

Saw it in the theater. Pretty good but it was definitrly made for people like us.

It's pretty funny watching people take a blind taste test. BMC are pretty devoted to their "brand", but you can't tell that **** apart.

MeMyself&Me
5/16/2011, 05:44 PM
It's pretty funny watching people take a blind taste test. BMC are pretty devoted to their "brand", but you can't tell that **** apart.

If you ever start a thread on that style, I'm bettn' it will be rife with jokes that have to do with the fact that all the bigguns are now owned by foriegn companies. Seems SO many people I've come across over the years seem to think it's unamerican to drink anything but that swill.

Just a few weeks ago, I had a Bud for the first time in years. I was at a friend of my wife's house. An older English couple (my wife is also English) and I'd heard the husband liked Guinness. The wife let's my wife ride her English style horses for free to keep them excersized. When I was offered a beer, I said sure without question. When he handed me a bud, I felt it would be too rude to hand it back (and I have done that to people).

Last time I was in England about 5 years ago, I got in a spirited argument with a young englishman that was SURE that bud was an English beer cause evreyone he knew drank it and there was a place where it was brewed near where he lived...

delhalew
5/16/2011, 05:54 PM
If you ever start a thread on that style, I'm bettn' it will be rife with jokes that have to do with the fact that all the bigguns are now owned by foriegn companies. Seems SO many people I've come across over the years seem to think it's unamerican to drink anything but that swill.

Just a few weeks ago, I had a Bud for the first time in years. I was at a friend of my wife's house. An older English couple (my wife is also English) and I'd heard the husband liked Guinness. The wife let's my wife ride her English style horses for free to keep them excersized. When I was offered a beer, I said sure without question. When he handed me a bud, I felt it would be too rude to hand it back (and I have done that to people).

Last time I was in England about 5 years ago, I got in a spirited argument with a young englishman that was SURE that bud was an English beer cause evreyone he knew drank it and there was a place where it was brewed near where he lived...

I think they do have some breweries overseas. Just goes to show how valuable a marketing machine can be.

Harry Beanbag
5/16/2011, 06:13 PM
Unfortunately, the stout drinking season here is very short. I found this one this winter and couldn't get enough of it.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_leo2p1OiTt1qdqcjp.jpg

I keep hearing you guys talk about Guinness Foreign Stout, but I've never seen it.

delhalew
5/16/2011, 06:20 PM
Unfortunately, the stout drinking season here is very short. I found this one this winter and couldn't get enough of it.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_leo2p1OiTt1qdqcjp.jpg

I keep hearing you guys talk about Guinness Foreign Stout, but I've never seen it.

I've heard good things about the firestone. The foreign extra stout is really common in most places.

Harry Beanbag
5/16/2011, 06:25 PM
I've heard good things about the firestone. The foreign extra stout is really common in most places.

It used to called Velvet Merkin, but they ended up changing it. Apparently, they have pretty decent sense of humor there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

MeMyself&Me
5/16/2011, 06:41 PM
I think they do have some breweries overseas. Just goes to show how valuable a marketing machine can be.

Yes they do. I wasn't disputing this guys assertion that there was a brewery there. Just his assumption that all Budweiser was made there and that the beer was English in nature.

For what it's worth, Guinness is brewed all over the world too. It's still Irish though.

I make a wonderful Doppelbock. I don't consider it American just cause I brewed it here either.

The truth of it is, Bud has become so popular in Britain, it never occurred to him that it originated somewhere else and when I challenged him on it, he got quite offended about it.

JohnnyMack
5/16/2011, 06:54 PM
Firestone Walker 10 is the best beer I ever had. It was a transcendent experience.

JohnnyMack
5/16/2011, 07:05 PM
In fact I'd eat Harry's butthole at a tailgate for a case of it.

Mongo
5/16/2011, 07:34 PM
In fact I'd eat Harry's butthole at a tailgate for a case of it.

i've got a case of it!!!

C&CDean
5/16/2011, 07:38 PM

Yuengling? Harp?

Harp is Irish ya heathen.

MeMyself&Me
5/16/2011, 07:47 PM

Yeah, but there are a few of them imports that are considered, stylistically, like an American Lager. It's been too long since I've had Harp so I won't refer to them other than to say that I didn't think much of it but Corona and Heineken fit that group as well. Of course, both of those beers are known for a distinctive 'skunkiness' but that has to do with packaging, shipping, and storage... not the beers themselves. There are others.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style01.php

JohnnyMack
5/16/2011, 07:57 PM
i've got a case of it!!!

:les:ON MY WAY!!!!!!!!!!

JohnnyMack
5/16/2011, 07:58 PM

It still a pale lager ya Neanderthal.

Harry Beanbag
5/16/2011, 10:15 PM
:les:ON MY WAY!!!!!!!!!!