PDA

View Full Version : Julian Wilson

lexsooner
5/15/2011, 01:46 PM
I noticed he is moving up the depth chart at CB as a redshirt freshman. He has the size and incredible speed to be a lockdown corner. Does anyone know if he is expected to get significant playing time this upcoming season?

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah, let me just text Bob Stoops and ask him. Just Kidding :D

Memtig14
5/15/2011, 03:37 PM
Yeah, let me just text Bob Stoops and ask him. Just Kidding :D

Don't worry about it........

.........Bob says it is looking good.

Rocko
5/15/2011, 05:04 PM
He's 6' 2"? Dang

lexsooner
5/15/2011, 05:22 PM
He's 6' 2"? Dang

Yup, and he runs a 10.2 100 meters and was one of the fastest high schoolers in his class in the whole country. His bio mentions he won the "Lockdown" award for best db at some high school all american camp. Nothing against our other excellent dbs, but these kind of physical attributes make me take notice.

Quite frankly, we have so much young talent that even a stud like Wilson can get overlooked by fans. I just happened to come across his name on the depth chart and looked him up and was impressed.

MyT Oklahoma
5/15/2011, 06:02 PM
This is a good thing I think. :D

cccasooner2
5/15/2011, 06:13 PM
This is a good thing I think. :D

That, and he's from Oklahoma, so he's got that going for him as well.

KantoSooner
5/16/2011, 09:34 AM
Anytime I hear good things about young DT's or DB's, I am happy.

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/16/2011, 09:48 AM
He was recruited by SEC schools so if he's fast enough for them he's fast enough for us

I heard it was more like 9.6 100 though...He backpedaled through the finish

oudavid1
5/16/2011, 12:21 PM
Ok, this wont be well received. But coming straight from someone who was there everyday last fall. "He is soft". "At this point, he will never play".

Im betting on that. You guys can whine and complain and talk about twitter, but my bet is on he will never play significant minutes.

Seamus
5/16/2011, 12:25 PM
Why would you bet that a Sooner player will never improve and, ultimately, fail?

swardboy
5/16/2011, 12:27 PM
How does someone who is "soft" even stay on the roster?

oudavid1
5/16/2011, 12:35 PM
Why would you bet that a Sooner player will never improve and, ultimately, fail?

Because this is the real world and this kinds of things happen. Sorry to shock you. Im sharing private information, if you dont like it, ignore me.

Your really asking this of a team that once had 4 kickers? You cant just cut a kid from scholarship.

He is a good kid, It's just the person who evaluated him told me that he was "soft".

OK2U
5/16/2011, 12:59 PM
How long before he's moved to right tackle?

pappy
5/16/2011, 01:05 PM
Because this is the real world and this kinds of things happen. Sorry to shock you. Im sharing private information, if you dont like it, ignore me.

Your really asking this of a team that once had 4 kickers? You cant just cut a kid from scholarship.

He is a good kid, It's just the person who evaluated him told me that he was "soft".

Actually you can cut kids from scholarships...just not during that academic school year...scholarships are only a 1 year guaranty.

cccasooner2
5/16/2011, 01:09 PM

Maybe he should change his name to Rocky.

oudavid1
5/16/2011, 01:09 PM
Actually you can cut kids from scholarships...just not during that academic school year...scholarships are only a 1 year guaranty.

I understand. And my point was based off of a first year evaluation. I hope this kid succeeds, but the evidence points to the contrary. Im sure Oklahoma will not give up on him. But first impressions were less than pleasing the way I understand it.

OU_Sooners75
5/16/2011, 01:13 PM
Okay David...

I love the info you provide...but Ill say this much...

He may be soft...and he may not see much playing time this year. But do not take that as he is so soft that he cannot improve and become a leading DB on the team. For crying out loud he is just a freshman.

It is kind of unfair for whomever to tell you that he was soft to say such a thing....and if that person really knows what the condition is, to say that to you is a little unprofessional of that person.

I would suspect that he will get some playing time when he gets more comfortable with the entire situation that he is in. If he doesnt, then he just wasnt able to mold into his potential.

sooner518
5/16/2011, 01:17 PM
This thread will be brought up in four years. Either he never gets off the bench and David will say "I told ya so" or he turns it around and becomes a contributor, and someone else will say "I told ya so".

I don't get the criticism of David in this thread. He's not attacking the kid. Only telling what someone, who apparently knows how to judge football players (unlike almost everyone else here) told him about this. He didn't say he could never improve or become a good player, just what the feeling of him right now is.

OU_Sooners75
5/16/2011, 01:22 PM
This thread will be brought up in four years. Either he never gets off the bench and David will say "I told ya so" or he turns it around and becomes a contributor, and someone else will say "I told ya so".

I don't get the criticism of David in this thread. He's not attacking the kid. Only telling what someone, who apparently knows how to judge football players (unlike almost everyone else here) told him about this. He didn't say he could never improve or become a good player, just what the feeling of him right now is.

1. Who is criticizing?
2. How do you know who is informant is? I highly doubt it is a coach. Most of his info seems to come from players.
3. How do you know anyone here cannot judge football players or talent when they see it?

You want to jump the gun in your post...much like the person that gave David his intell.

Could Wilson never see the field or play? Yeah...but he could also end up being the great DB in OU history. Kind of early to tell since he is only a freshman.

And as that goes, so it does for every player that goes onto a higher division of play. You never know which ones will succeed and which ones will fail.

oudavid1
5/16/2011, 02:02 PM
Okay David...

I love the info you provide...but Ill say this much...

He may be soft...and he may not see much playing time this year. But do not take that as he is so soft that he cannot improve and become a leading DB on the team. For crying out loud he is just a freshman.

I agree, but I can tell you this, right now he is behind guys that are younger than him.

It is kind of unfair for whomever to tell you that he was soft to say such a thing....and if that person really knows what the condition is, to say that to you is a little unprofessional of that person.

Something you should understand is that coaches (Not talking about me as one) talk about players all the time. This information is from coaches talk.

I would suspect that he will get some playing time when he gets more comfortable with the entire situation that he is in. If he doesnt, then he just wasnt able to mold into his potential.

Which is my point. He probably wont. But im telling you now, so you can look smarter down the road. #Winning

Well The would just point out that im 19 and so thats makes everything i say not matter.

1. Who is criticizing?
2. How do you know who is informant is? I highly doubt it is a coach. Most of his info seems to come from players.
3. How do you know anyone here cannot judge football players or talent when they see it?

Ha, its pretty split the other way

You want to jump the gun in your post...much like the person that gave David his intell.

That person knows what he is talking about. Trust me.

Could Wilson never see the field or play? Yeah...but he could also end up being the great DB in OU history. Kind of early to tell since he is only a freshman.

And as that goes, so it does for every player that goes onto a higher division of play. You never know which ones will succeed and which ones will fail.

I agree.

lexsooner
5/16/2011, 02:10 PM
OK, thanks, David. If that is what you heard from an inside source, so be it. On a more positive note, which young players are getting rave reviews from the coaches? I don't mean the obvious ones like Tony Jefferson, but the first or second year guys who have yet to get much playing time. Thanks.

oudavid1
5/16/2011, 02:16 PM
OK, thanks, David. If that is what you heard from an inside source, so be it. On a more positive note, which young players are getting rave reviews from the coaches? I don't mean the obvious ones like Tony Jefferson, but the first or second year guys who have yet to get much playing time. Thanks.

Colvin
J Harris
Nelson (Obviously)
DeMontre Hurst
David King
Jaz Reynolds (More so for sticking with it)

Really all I got.

lexsooner
5/16/2011, 02:31 PM
Colvin
J Harris
Nelson (Obviously)
DeMontre Hurst
David King

Really all I got.

Thanks, David. It looks like our D is pretty strong, except for DT. Those interior guys need to step it up this season.

BoulderSooner79
5/16/2011, 02:42 PM
Ok, this wont be well received. But coming straight from someone who was there everyday last fall. "He is soft". "At this point, he will never play"...

So let it be written, so let it be done.

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 03:58 PM
Let's just relax. Maybe he will show the coaches something this year, get some playing time, and become a solid starter, but we don't know that yet. Let's just wait and see.

texaspokieokie
5/16/2011, 04:13 PM
maybe he's not so soft that he can still become a great "cover corner".

you guys are all "soft" for getting "up tight" over something david claims. he's not in norman. even if he was, he may or may not be anyway kind of a judge
of football playing ability.

of course, he does have a great "source" that he pulls out every time he wants to lend credibility to a post.

like he says, he's only 19, what does he know ??

that would be a lousy thing for a coach to do, make a statement that a
player was too "soft" to ever play.especially to someone like david.

texaspokieokie
5/16/2011, 04:15 PM
look @ "neon dion", he was soft.

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 04:18 PM
Lets also lay off of David.

texaspokieokie
5/16/2011, 04:19 PM
Lets also lay off of David.

why ???

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 04:27 PM
All he is trying to do is put information out there for you to take as you wish, don't harass the guy for it.

Rocko
5/16/2011, 04:34 PM
David has to be the most controversial poster on SF, and he's not even that inflammatory. It's hilarious!

texaspokieokie
5/16/2011, 05:15 PM
All he is trying to do is put information out there for you to take as you wish, don't harass the guy for it.

he likes being harassed.:D

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 05:31 PM
Back to the original subject:

If Wilson is good, let him play.

oudavid1
5/17/2011, 12:38 AM
maybe he's not so soft that he can still become a great "cover corner".

you guys are all "soft" for getting "up tight" over something david claims. he's not in norman. even if he was, he may or may not be anyway kind of a judge
of football playing ability.

Yeah, it wasnt my judgment at all bro

of course, he does have a great "source" that he pulls out every time he wants to lend credibility to a post.

Haha i like this part

like he says, he's only 19, what does he know ??

that would be a lousy thing for a coach to do, make a statement that a
player was too "soft" to ever play.especially to someone like david.

Do share your knowledge of coaches you hang around with...

this

David has to be the most controversial poster on SF, and he's not even that inflammatory. It's hilarious!

People just have a hard time believing that I am as fortunate and lucky a SOB as i am.

he likes being harassed.:D

It dont bother me. Just make sure what you say has a source :D

SoonerofAlabama
5/17/2011, 06:50 AM
I watched the Red River Shootout yesterday and I have two thoughts:

1: James Winchester is awesome, scooping the muffed punt and all.

2: If Aaron Colvin is supposed to be a starter, he cannot do what he did late in the game against Malcolm Williams, where Gilbert threw the ball to him and got 40 yards out of it. It only got them a field goal in the end and we did win, but when we play the really good receivers, he won't be able to let them get those monster games and have us still win.

texaspokieokie
5/17/2011, 07:36 AM
Do share your knowledge of coaches you hang around with...

this

People just have a hard time believing that I am as fortunate and lucky a SOB as i am.

It dont bother me. Just make sure what you say has a source :D

i have a friend who's a hi-school coach in LA; but he never gives me any inside info. darn !! he did tell me last year that he came in contact with Les Miles, & is of the opinion that Les is a nice guy. that's it, feel free to harass me.
:D

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/17/2011, 09:07 AM
Colvin
J Harris
Nelson (Obviously)
DeMontre Hurst
David King

Really all I got.

You forgot Grissom

oudavid1
5/17/2011, 11:28 AM

2: If Aaron Colvin is supposed to be a starter, he cannot do what he did late in the game against Malcolm Williams, where Gilbert threw the ball to him and got 40 yards out of it. It only got them a field goal in the end and we did win, but when we play the really good receivers, he won't be able to let them get those monster games and have us still win.

Well Malcolm put a good double move on him and he does have 3 inches on the kid. But i know what you mean. I believe it was a press 3 and Colvin didn't have the proper alignment. Thats typical with first year guys. Especially in that game. But i wouldnt say he is soft :D

i have a friend who's a hi-school coach in LA; but he never gives me any inside info. darn !! he did tell me last year that he came in contact with Les Miles, & is of the opinion that Les is a nice guy. that's it, feel free to harass me.

Ha touche

You forgot Grissom

Ive heard more about Noble than Grissom

Dizzle Shizzle
5/17/2011, 12:00 PM
This thread makes me soft

SoonerofAlabama
5/17/2011, 03:55 PM
How many fumble recoveries did James Winchester have last season? Just the two?

BoulderSooner79
5/17/2011, 05:54 PM

Get real. Colvin was the back-up *freshman* thrust into the starting role in that game. The most intense game on our schedule almost every year and you judge him by one play? The kid did a great job under pressure - these players are not robots.

swardboy
5/17/2011, 08:00 PM

I thought of this too. It amazed me how little effort he put into tackling while playing for the Dallas Cowboys....it was all cover....oh, and return kicks.

mightysooner
5/17/2011, 08:17 PM

^^^^^^^^ First thing that came to my head.

mightysooner
5/17/2011, 08:18 PM
Get real. Colvin was the back-up *freshman* thrust into the starting role in that game. The most intense game on our schedule almost every year and you judge him by one play? The kid did a great job under pressure - these players are not robots.

^^^^ This. Colvin smothered his receiver the entire game outside of one play. I'll take that.

SoonerofAlabama
5/17/2011, 08:42 PM
That play put them at the goal line. If we had played a more successful team and he had done that...can't be too careful. At the time he did it, it was 28-17, if they had scored 28-24 or 25. With momentum, they recover the onside kick, go downfield, score, take us to overtime, beat us, and we lose. I understand freshmen will make mistakes, but you can't make these mistakes at the most critical portions of a game.

BoulderSooner79
5/17/2011, 09:30 PM
That play put them at the goal line. If we had played a more successful team and he had done that...can't be too careful. At the time he did it, it was 28-17, if they had scored 28-24 or 25. With momentum, they recover the onside kick, go downfield, score, take us to overtime, beat us, and we lose. I understand freshmen will make mistakes, but you can't make these mistakes at the most critical portions of a game.

Again, 1 play for a freshman who had one 1 week to prepare as starter. On top of that, it was a great pass that may have beaten anyone or drawn a PI flag. The guy didn't just fill in adequately - he made plays and was noticeable throughout the game. You have no legitimate beef.

SoonerofAlabama
5/17/2011, 09:35 PM
So you are saying he doesn't need to improve at all?

BoulderSooner79
5/17/2011, 09:41 PM
So you are saying he doesn't need to improve at all?

Not at all - everyone can improve. I dispute your statement about Colvin "supposed to be a starter". If anything, his performance in Dallas last year has me excited about the prospects of his starting. I could see him being a star after a year of camps and working with the 1st unit. But safety is different than corner and I'll admit I was a bit disappointed by the move since he appeared to have natural cover skills.

SoonerofAlabama
5/17/2011, 11:01 PM
Well this season he does have to be a starter, which is where the "supposed to be a starter" came from because the lead guy, Jamell Fleming, is gone and the team has to prepare with the men they have. Colvin has a lot of work to do to get to that level.

BoulderSooner79
5/17/2011, 11:19 PM
Well this season he does have to be a starter, which is where the "supposed to be a starter" came from because the lead guy, Jamell Fleming, is gone and the team has to prepare with the men they have. Colvin has a lot of work to do to get to that level.

Colvin showed a lot more as a freshman than Fleming did; Fleming was not a star player - Colvin may turn out to be one. But just as I won't knock a kid for 1 play as a replacement player, I won't anoint him an all American for 1 game. Also, Fleming was a CB and right now Colvin is on the depth chart at safety. I guess there is a chance Fleming will be back, but it is not a fact until david tweets it.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/18/2011, 12:55 AM
I just hope David hurries up and gets back to Stoops so he can set our fall depth charts!!

Seamus
5/18/2011, 12:09 PM

Shock me? LOL. There was nothing shocking in your post. Hell, there was nothing shocking in your response, because if you are really 19 as you say you are, that level of self-importance is practically de rigueur on the Interwebs.

It's one thing to "share" the insights of a private source. But the way you presented that information was as follows:

"Im betting on that. ... my bet is on he will never play significant minutes."

David, that is not sharing private information, that is making a prediction. And you seemed to do so with a level of gusto that was, well, let's just call it "unsavory." Isn't Julian about your age?

Now, you seem to have mistaken me for one of the people who have been giving you shat about the twittering. Don't lump me in with those petulant asshats, because I don't care about the twitter posts and I don't rip you for it. It's actually pretty amusing to me.

I can understand why, by this time, you might be a little sensitive to it, but you're a big boy and you've made the bed. So lighten up a little.

Peace.

oudavid1
5/18/2011, 12:13 PM
Shock me? LOL. There was nothing shocking in your post. Hell, there was nothing shocking in your response, because if you are really 19 as you say you are, that level of self-importance is practically de rigueur on the Interwebs.

It's one thing to "share" the insights of a private source. But the way you presented that information was as follows:

"Im betting on that. ... my bet is on he will never play significant minutes."

David, that is not sharing private information, that is making a prediction. And you seemed to do so with a level of gusto that was, well, let's just call it "unsavory." Isn't Julian about your age?

Now, you seem to have mistaken me for one of the people who have been giving you shat about the twittering. Don't lump me in with those petulant asshats, because I don't care about the twitter posts and I don't rip you for it. It's actually pretty amusing to me.

I can understand why, by this time, you might be a little sensitive to it, but you're a big boy and you've made the bed. So lighten up a little.

Peace.

Ok my point was that I would bet on the information. The whole put your money where your mouth is type thing.

cleller
5/18/2011, 09:27 PM
Ok, this wont be well received. But coming straight from someone who was there everyday last fall. "He is soft". "At this point, he will never play".

They said the same thing about Jack Tatum.:D

texaspokieokie
5/19/2011, 07:17 AM
They said the same thing about Jack Tatum.:D

i remember "Tatum" playing as a soph; i don't think "soft" was ever mentioned.