PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Oklahoma Conference Game in 2011

SoonerofAlabama
5/14/2011, 09:34 PM
Which of these games would be the best to watch game and also a game that you could not go without seeing?

Missouri @ Oklahoma
By this time, the Tigers will have found their quarterback, which should certainly be James Franklin. Their offense should be settled after playing three games, including Arizona State. They will face off against our Sooners, who will have just finished playing the Seminoles of FSU. Oklahoma might be out for blood after last year's nationally televised embarrassment.

Oklahoma @ Texas
Another quarterback battle that has probably already been solved. Garret Gilbert will return for the Longhorns and by this time will also have more confidence than last year. Te*as will have already played BYU at this time and will be prepared for what we throw at them most likely. We can't underestimate them, especially with added pressure from us possibly still being number one.

Texas A&M @ Oklahoma
A battle of two offenses who should be at the top of the rankings nationally. They bring back a quarterback that exploded onto the scene last year in Ryan Tannehill, who brings along with him a good receiving corps and running back. Oklahoma should be trying for revenge in this one, as last year's game went terribly.

Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State
It will most likely be the game to decide the Big XII champion. Two explosive offenses with a lot at stake will meet in Stillwater. Weeden and Blackmon against Jones and Broyles. A possible national championship deciding game. After last years 47-41 thriller that was also nationally televised, the Cowboys might be looking for blood against us, but if the national championship implications are in effect that might not matter.

Any predictions or comments about these games?

SoonerRoy
5/14/2011, 10:13 PM
OU-Texas without a doubt. The horns are our #1 rival. The other three games, while against good teams, are in the state of Okla.

Sooner_Tuf
5/14/2011, 10:23 PM
OU/Texas is always the biggest game of our regular season. This season it might turn out to be Florida State on the road. But sticking with idea of biggest conference game of the year I think without a doubt is Texas.

OSU looks to be good and A&M is getting a lot of hype. It's doubtful that either can live up to the hype they are getting. OSU had a really special season winning 11 games for the first time in their history. While they didn't lose a ton of players I think they will not repeat 11 wins but possibly they will end up in a better bowl game this year.

finster
5/14/2011, 11:02 PM
It's gotta be A&M,Now that the corn is gone, they got the myopic circle jerk circus all to themselves.
I never bet on whorn or poke games, A&M at OU will be the It's my birthday dance after halftime.
/good times
//If you got RRW tickets ignore me.
///or season tickets at Stillwater 5A+

bixby28
5/14/2011, 11:29 PM
A home win vs. Missouri will build strong momentum.

aTm- they're the 2nd best team in the conference.
Mizzou- if OU goes to Tallahassee and beats the 'noles then Mizzou could very easily get embarassed on Owen Field.
UT- OU will probably win convincingly.

I think OU will prove a lot with a win @ FSU. Just another preseason stab at OU's schedule

Sooner_Tuf
5/15/2011, 12:45 AM
OU can never overlook Texas, just like Texas can never overlook OU. It doesn't matter how good one team is or how bad the other may be upsets do happen in the RRSO.

Both teams generally bring their A+ game. Which is why it is so much fun!

JLEW1818
5/15/2011, 09:00 AM
just not scared playing in Norman.

OU-texas .. you just never now. We overlooked them in 2008.

SoonerMarkVA
5/15/2011, 09:57 AM
a&m still has to prove they can play outside of College Station.

Mizzou will be overwhelmed by our home-field advantage.

Conference season comes down to: ut, OSU, and (IMO) KSU.

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 10:20 AM
I do think Kansas State will be a tough game for us (at least in the first half), but we still need to prove that we can play away from Owen Field. We got started off right with wins at Oklahoma State and at Baylor. We also proved we could come back from a big deficit in the Big XII Title Game against Nebraska.

TahoeSOONER
5/15/2011, 10:25 AM
1. A&M is loaded and has a legitimate shot at OU in Norman. They have the running game to keep our offense off the field.

2. OSU back in Stoolwater (ugh)

3. Texas

4. KState

King Crimson
5/15/2011, 10:40 AM
@osu.

two years in a row up there, and we've had to pull magic out of our behinds the last two times up there.

bad feeling about it. those guys are due.

Chiliman
5/15/2011, 10:51 AM
Tulsa will be solid bit their defense will get shredded by us. Should be a good tune up for our defense though. Their offense has some explosive players and Kinne can run well, when he has to.

MyT Oklahoma
5/15/2011, 06:21 PM
Every game is important but you just prepare for them one week at a time. And you also enjoy them one game at a time.

If we are undefeated come the end of this November, then December 3rd, 2011 will be the toughest game this season.

We shall see.

cccasooner2
5/15/2011, 06:30 PM
Oklahoma @ Texas, just because the neutral fields are so tough to win on. ;)

Sooner_Tuf
5/15/2011, 07:01 PM
@osu.

two years in a row up there, and we've had to pull magic out of our behinds the last two times up there.

bad feeling about it. those guys are due.

The Sooners won by twenty two times ago. Then shut them out in Norman (MOV 27). Last year was closer at 47-41, but the game was never in doubt.

It's been a good while since they have won. It's not approaching a record run for OU and OSU has actually won more games in Norman than Stillwater. Mike Gundy is 0-10 against OU.

I guess I'll wait and see how they play this year before I have a bunch if respect for them. When everyone thinks they will be good is when they suck the most.

Like they say anything can happen in bedlam, its just that one thing does happen.

soonerfan28
5/15/2011, 08:28 PM
OSU. Last game of the season. Both teams should be highly ranked and possibly undefeated. And its bedlam.

goingoneight
5/15/2011, 08:43 PM
I'm loving the new conference name. "Oklahoma Conference" says it all... seeing how we own it and all. :D

tfoolry
5/16/2011, 08:37 AM
Some are saying this '11 Aggy team has the best offense ever.

MI Sooner
5/16/2011, 09:28 PM
The Sooners won by twenty two times ago. Then shut them out in Norman (MOV 27). Last year was closer at 47-41, but the game was never in doubt.

It's been a good while since they have won. It's not approaching a record run for OU and OSU has actually won more games in Norman than Stillwater. Mike Gundy is 0-10 against OU.

I guess I'll wait and see how they play this year before I have a bunch if respect for them. When everyone thinks they will be good is when they suck the most.

Like they say anything can happen in OU-OSU, its just that one thing does happen.

Won by 20 is one way to put it - eeked out a victory is another. And if you thought last year's game was never in doubt, you sir, are more prescient than I.

Sooner_Tuf
5/16/2011, 10:13 PM
Won by 20 is one way to put it - eeked out a victory is another. And if you thought last year's game was never in doubt, you sir, are more prescient than I.

Three touchdowns is another way to put it. Two touchdowns and two field goals is another.

Anytime the Sooners put up 557 yards 330 in the air, 187 on the ground, 246 return yards you don't have to be clairvoyant to see the coming victory.

In other words when you have an awesome center, an Oline stocked with future NFL players, a Heisman caliber QB, one of the best Tight Ends to ever play college football, a super star RB, playing against a team with zero pass rush, and overall has a defense in the bottom twenty five percent, it is not a stretch to feel confident that your team will win the game.

badger
5/17/2011, 11:34 AM
Iowa State, because I think they are going to choose us as their sig win this year, much like they torpedoed Nebraska in Lincoln in 2009 and Texas in Austin in 2010.

Why did they play so well against Texas in Austin and so horribly against us the week before in Norman? Some may point to the fact that :mack:'s motivational speech to his team wasn't to win the game, but rather, to beat Iowa State by more than OU did... and as such, Hook em embarrassed themselves terribly at home :D

ISU's sig win could have very well have been us instead of UT last season. So thank you once again, UT-Austin, for exerting your arrogance and "power" in the offseason over the Big 12 and ensuring that every team wanted to beat your arse last fall instead of our arse :P

BlackwellSooner
5/17/2011, 05:37 PM

Like they say anything can happen in OU-OSU, its just that one thing does happen.

I am hopeful that we can nail the Poke's hide to the barn one more time, but due to the fact that it is in Stillwater, and that OSU is absolutely loaded offensively makes me look at this game with apprehension.

Sure, we have an enviable series record against the Cowboys, but since 2000, there have been 5 of the 11 games that have been decided by a touchdown or less, and one of those was an OU loss (2001 when the Pokes took advantage of a cocky OU team and claimed the 16-13 win; the other OSU win in that timeframe was the next year, Miles' second as HC, when the 'Boys won 38-28).
Anytime that we play a game that is settled by less than 7 points, I worry.

And BTW, while you might not have thought that last year's game was "never in doubt", I will assure you that I sure wasn't taking it for granted!

My vote goes to this year's game in Stillwater, followed closely by the RRS, naturally.

mightysooner
5/17/2011, 08:26 PM
Not worried about any conference home games. I don't think any team in the conference that has to play in Norman goes in thinking they have a chance to actually win. They've all suffered routine, involuntary sodomies in Norman. There's not a team in the conference outside of the longwhorns that hasn't been penetrated thoroughly in Norman on every visit there the last few years. Not one. I think at this point it's just a self perpetuated nightmare for the other teams that if you play in Norman, just try to not get blown out, even if it's a forgone conclusion that even that is lofty thinking.

SoonerofAlabama
5/17/2011, 08:37 PM
I don't like to underestimate anyone, especially conference foes or the little team with a lot to play for.

mightysooner
5/17/2011, 08:41 PM
I don't either....but....can you name a conference opponent that has come to Norman in the last 5 years and not gotten completely obliterated no matter how good they were supposed to be?

SoonerofAlabama
5/17/2011, 08:46 PM
2005 Texas A&M 36-30
2005 Baylor 37-30 OT
2006 Texas Tech 34-24
2007 Missouri 41-31

SoonerofAlabama
5/17/2011, 08:49 PM
And in 2007, Mizzou won the Cotton Bowl.