PDA

View Full Version : So how about that Mississippi River flooding....

royalfan5
5/14/2011, 03:46 PM
Apparently they just opened the Morganza Spillway for the first time since 1973, and they have already dynamited levees upstream. It also looks like the midwest is going to stay cool and wet for awhile, so they may not be relief for awhile. Also, there seems to be a slight possibility that the worse case involves the Mississippi changing course which would **** up a lot of ag and petroleum related stuff.

pphilfran
5/14/2011, 03:54 PM
This could be a major mess...

They are doing the right thing...save far more cities downstream than what will be flooded upstream...

But...

How liable should the ACoE be in regards to those homes being flooded due to the decision to open the gates?

mgsooner
5/14/2011, 03:57 PM
How liable should the ACoE be in regards to those homes being flooded due to the decision to open the gates?

Have no idea on the liability, but I did read that the ACoE sends those homeowners written notices every single year warning them that this is a possibility and to be prepared.

pphilfran
5/14/2011, 04:12 PM
Have no idea on the liability, but I did read that the ACoE sends those homeowners written notices every single year warning them that this is a possibility and to be prepared.

I understand and agree that the homeowners have the primary responsibility...

But it sure would be tough to be a homeowner that was not going to have a drop of water...and then a decision to save other cities causes my place to be washed away...

I probably wouldn't be too happy...

Whatever the case it is impossible to control something as violent as the Mississippi...we have done everything we can to keep the Mississippi from changed course to the Atchafalaya River and sooner or later the Mississippi will win out and make the move...

It that were to happen many US ports would become inoperable...Baton Rouge and NO would soon become ghost towns...US shipping would be severely impacted...it would make the Gulf Oil spill look like a pimple on Roseanne Barr's azz...

cccasooner2
5/14/2011, 04:33 PM
Damn Southerners are stealing our water, next it'll be our jobs. Mark my drunkin' words!

FirstAndGoalOU
5/14/2011, 05:06 PM
I've been following the flood board on an LSU site...http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/b/90/Flood-Board.aspx

A lot of people suffering and anxious.
Morganza spillway footage...http://www.wafb.com/story/14645519/army-corps-to-hold-press-conference-on-morganza-floodway-today

Okla-homey
5/14/2011, 05:20 PM
F'em. Damn coon*sses. Who cares? The whole damned State of Louisiana is a failed experiment.

And you can't sue the Corps of Engineers. Congress took care of that in 1927. Heh!

BTW, Q: You know the diff between a coon *$$ and a sh*t*$$?

A: The Sabine River.

royalfan5
5/14/2011, 05:27 PM
F'em. Damn coon*sses. Who cares? The whole damned State of Louisiana is a failed experiment.

And you can't sue the Corps of Engineers. Congress took care of that in 1927. Heh!

Well, considering the amount of economic activity driven by the Mississippi River, I feel like that is a good reason to care. If the refining capacity in Baton Rogue and further south gets knocked out, four dollar gas is going to be cheap. Also, do you realize how much grain goes down the Mississippi and out the Port of New Orleans? The United States is pretty much already hitting the limits on it's export capacity on grain, and losing New Orleans would create a huge amount of stress on the railroads to try and compensate. The ability of the United States to supply the world with grain is pretty useful in helping to maintain stability in many third world countries.

cccasooner2
5/14/2011, 05:50 PM
Well, considering the amount of economic activity driven by the Mississippi River, I feel like that is a good reason to care. If the refining capacity in Baton Rogue and further south gets knocked out, four dollar gas is going to be cheap. Also, do you realize how much grain goes down the Mississippi and out the Port of New Orleans? The United States is pretty much already hitting the limits on it's export capacity on grain, and losing New Orleans would create a huge amount of stress on the railroads to try and compensate. The ability of the United States to supply the world with grain is pretty useful in helping to maintain stability in many third world countries.

Putin on my Goldman Sachs hat; are you sayin I should buy grain futures?

pphilfran
5/14/2011, 05:58 PM
Putin on my Goldman Sachs hat; are you sayin I should buy grain futures?

Only a slight risk of a complete disaster happening...

royalfan5
5/14/2011, 06:07 PM
Only a slight risk of a complete disaster happening...

That doesn't mean grain prices won't go up either. We are way behind on planting this year, and going to be down hard on Hard Red Wheat production.

cccasooner2
5/14/2011, 06:14 PM
That doesn't mean grain prices won't go up either. We are way behind on planting this year, and going to be down hard on Hard Red Wheat production.

Consistent with the sig: "For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money. " :D

SicEmBaylor
5/14/2011, 06:23 PM

**** you.

As always,
SicEm

pphilfran
5/14/2011, 06:34 PM

There is always a chance...you better get in quick because the market will price in any risk very quickly...

royalfan5
5/14/2011, 06:36 PM
There is always a chance...you better get in quick because the market will price in any risk very quickly...

I manage agriculture risk for a living. Preaching to the choir.

pphilfran
5/14/2011, 06:38 PM

I will take that into account in the future...when it comes to ag I will side with you...

Sooner_Tuf
5/14/2011, 06:45 PM

Are you saying $100 barrel wheat is a possibility? ;)

*I don't manage agricultural risks for a living. My living is a combination of agricultural and energy risks.

FirstAndGoalOU
5/14/2011, 06:49 PM
Royal, I have always followed from afar the ag crops etc., my Grandfather had a large business in west Texas cotton, First cuts, second cuts etc, storage and sales across America and Canada. The Big buyers where out of N.Y., Goetze Brothers? I would like your take on this years crop forecast...Thank you in advance.

pphilfran
5/14/2011, 06:51 PM
Royal, I have always followed from afar the ag crops etc., my Grandfather had a large business in west Texas cotton, First cuts, second cuts etc, storage and sales across America and Canada. The Big buyers where out of N.Y., Goetze Brothers? I would like your take on this years crop forecast...Thank you in advance.

You one of the Dukes?

royalfan5
5/14/2011, 06:55 PM

So far carryovers are low, and the weather crap, so it's going to be touchy as hell. I don't do a whole lot with cotton, but it's seems like a lot of the froth has came out of it recently.

FirstAndGoalOU
5/14/2011, 07:47 PM
Yes, I agree Link..http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=cotton

Maize{corn}..http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=corn
Thoughts?

Okla-homey
5/14/2011, 07:52 PM
**** you.

As always,
SicEm

No. F-u...you rebel scum. Louisiana took up arms against the Grand Old Flag. That nest of thieves, rebels, scoundrels and cousin f*ckers deserves whatever it gets. In fact, I hope they all drown.

royalfan5
5/14/2011, 08:29 PM
Yes, I agree Link..http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=cotton

Maize{corn}..http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=corn
Thoughts?

On Corn, I think new crop is going to be range bound until June Wasde, and June 30 stocks and acres will dictate a whole lot. Old crop, will hinge a lot on the dollar, and PNW export interest.

delhalew
5/14/2011, 08:38 PM

Man...I just have a hard time believing you could really be such an ***.

SicEmBaylor
5/14/2011, 08:50 PM
Man...I just have a hard time believing you could really be such an ***.

Really? You must be new around these parts. ;-)

FirstAndGoalOU
5/14/2011, 08:52 PM
On Corn, I think new crop is going to be range bound until June Wasde, and June 30 stocks and acres will dictate a whole lot. Old crop, will hinge a lot on the dollar, and PNW export interest.
Royal, Thank you for your comments. Please start posting more on the market!

delhalew
5/14/2011, 08:55 PM
Really? You must be new around these parts. ;-)

After years of it, I still feel like it has to be partially Schtick.

SicEmBaylor
5/14/2011, 08:57 PM
After years of it, I still feel like it has to be partially Schtick.

I think he over does it for my benefit.

FirstAndGoalOU
5/14/2011, 09:05 PM
Back on Thread..Arkansas man works to save home from flood...amazing work.
LINK..http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/26077141/Arkansas-man-works-to-save-home-from-floodamazing-work.aspx

QgKsehkcIF8

Chuck Bao
5/14/2011, 09:06 PM
Well I am part coon *** but I find that answer of the Sabine river to be particularly hilarious.

Seriously, that is what you get when you build levees and try to control rivers and put houses and farm lands on the flood plains.

Yeah, I know about it. My rice farm in Thailand is underwater again and we haven't even started the monsoon season. I am not gonna build a house there unless it is on stilts and I have at least one boat.

Ike
5/14/2011, 09:24 PM
Well I am part coon *** but I find that answer of the Sabine river to be particularly hilarious.

Seriously, that is what you get when you build levees and try to control rivers and put houses and farm lands on the flood plains.

Yeah, I know about it. My rice farm in Thailand is underwater again and we haven't even started the monsoon season. I am not gonna build a house there unless it is on stilts and I have at least one boat.

Hire a Dutch architect:
http://cleantechnica.com/2008/04/10/holland-builds-floating-houses-in-response-to-climate-change/

FirstAndGoalOU
5/14/2011, 09:43 PM
Hire a Dutch architect:
http://cleantechnica.com/2008/04/10/holland-builds-floating-houses-in-response-to-climate-change/

Ike, Thank you, interesting thought!
Some more information on your suggestion..http://fivenonblondes.wordpress.com/2008/01/30/floating-houses/

Chuck Bao
5/14/2011, 09:57 PM
Hire a Dutch architect:

Thanks Ike. I like that suggestion. And spek.

My dad used to build boat houses on Lake Texoma. They were the type that floated on the water but would rise and fall with the lake level with four corner anchors and pipes attached to the boat house. That was until Lake Texoma flooded so bad one year and everyone wanted him to add 5-10 feet to the anchors and he couldn't get to all of them, partially because he didn't immediately have a boat for his welding units and electricity generators to get out to them and partially because everyone waited too long to do something about it.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/15/2011, 12:29 AM
Apparently they just opened the Morganza Spillway for the first time since 1973, and they have already dynamited levees upstream. It also looks like the midwest is going to stay cool and wet for awhile, so they may not be relief for awhile. Also, there seems to be a slight possibility that the worse case involves the Mississippi changing course which would **** up a lot of ag and petroleum related stuff.

IIRC, the Morganza spillway is the path the Mississippi would be taking if it was not artificially being held to its current course. The spillway I believe is a lower elevation and a more natural course.

Not to discount all the flooding and damage to occur, but this would be a good thing from a wetlands perspective as a lot of silt will likely be dumped hopefully on the coastal areas helping to build some of that area back up.

OTOH, lots of damage and people will probably lose everything in the spillway area.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/15/2011, 12:37 AM

Do you grow "Thai Homily/Hommari Rice"? ;)

Made famous by Tommy Tang and his incessant plugging of his major PBS cooking show sponsor... :) Almost became a drinking game at home.

Chuck Bao
5/15/2011, 10:20 AM
Do you grow "Thai Homily/Hommari Rice"? ;)

Made famous by Tommy Tang and his incessant plugging of his major PBS cooking show sponsor... :) Almost became a drinking game at home.

Yep, I do raise Hom Mali rice, otherwise known as Thai Fragrant or Jasmine Rice. Well, I would if I could ever bring a crop in.

sappstuf
5/15/2011, 11:00 AM
When life gives you lemons...

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/mississippi_river_flooding/bp21.jpg

Cyril Forck, 90, catches a small perch fish from his backyard deck, which is usually 50 feet away from the edge of the Mississippi River, on Mud Island in Memphis, Tenn. May 4.

EnragedOUfan
5/15/2011, 11:40 AM
No. F-u...you rebel scum. Louisiana took up arms against the Grand Old Flag. That nest of thieves, rebels, scoundrels and cousin f*ckers deserves whatever it gets. In fact, I hope they all drown.

What a prick f#cking statement, way to go, I hope you feel good about yourself.

The destruction of this has the potential to be huge........It would devastating to New Orleans, a city that has slowly recovered from the damages of Katrina. Baton Rouge is another city that could suffer devasting damage. And of course, there's a ton of people whose home's were destroyed by the Mississippi. I never wish misfortune upon my fellow man, and I sure hope that next tornado (if you live in Oklahoma) doesn't plow your effin house to bits and pieces, because you certainly won't receive my pity nor condolences.

XingTheRubicon
5/15/2011, 01:07 PM
No. F-u...you rebel scum. Louisiana took up arms against the Grand Old Flag. That nest of thieves, rebels, scoundrels and cousin f*ckers, and Methodists deserves whatever it gets. In fact, I hope they all drown.

fixed

and

does anyone else hear Benny Hill music on disaster threads

BudSooner
5/15/2011, 01:12 PM
fixed

and

does anyone else hear Benny Hill music on disaster threadsNo, but I imagine it is what Dean or whoever is locking RLIMC's threads has playing.

This never gets old...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DY2HargZ7g (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DY2HargZ7g)

delhalew
5/15/2011, 01:23 PM
Yep, I do raise Hom Mali rice, otherwise known as Thai Fragrant or Jasmine Rice. Well, I would if I could ever bring a crop in.

Jasmine is the only rice I buy anymore.