PDA

View Full Version : Bradley, Bundy and Hope

rysooner
5/13/2011, 01:59 PM
Bradley, Bundy and Hope are all three having really good state tourneys so far. Not getting excited that all three will show up in Norman, but still fun to dream and follow their progress.

bcolston15
5/13/2011, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately, the only way Bundy will ever show up in Norman is in a burnt orange jersey. He's signed with UT.

I think Hope is a lot like Overton coming out of high school. He'll be drafted and could sign, but coming to college is his best bet.

Obviously Bradley's situation is well documented.

rysooner
5/16/2011, 11:28 AM
Unfortunately, the only way Bundy will ever show up in Norman is in a burnt orange jersey. He's signed with UT.

I think Hope is a lot like Overton coming out of high school. He'll be drafted and could sign, but coming to college is his best bet.

Obviously Bradley's situation is well documented.

Yeah, sorry about that, I found out this past weekend I was wrong about him...not sure why I thought he had signed with us, but I did. Hopefully, he doesn't ever get to a college campus either.

IndySooner
5/16/2011, 11:29 AM
There was something on Twitter today saying that the Pirates are considering Bundy with the #1 pick.

IndySooner
5/16/2011, 05:00 PM
If this is true, we might see them both in the Big 12!

Sticker shock: Teams being told asking price on Dylan Bundy is 6 yrs, $30 million. For Archie Bradley, 5 yrs and $20 million. #mlbdraft

sperry
5/16/2011, 06:21 PM
If this is true, we might see them both in the Big 12!

Sticker shock: Teams being told asking price on Dylan Bundy is 6 yrs, $30 million. For Archie Bradley, 5 yrs and $20 million. #mlbdraft

What leverage do these guys have, though? Certainly going to school seems like a poor idea if money is the issue, since then you're stuck for 3 years with very little chance of moving up in the draft, and a tremendous chance of going down.

bcolston15
5/16/2011, 06:34 PM
What leverage do these guys have, though? Certainly going to school seems like a poor idea if money is the issue, since then you're stuck for 3 years with very little chance of moving up in the draft, and a tremendous chance of going down.

4 million is a bunch. Especially if you aren't drafted in the top 10-15.

northspeter
5/16/2011, 07:34 PM

you can ask for the world... they've got till august to sign... also bradley does have football as leverage... i seriously doubt he ever dons a pair of shoulder pads again...

also watch out for adrian houser... he's been rated in the top 75 high schoolers nationally... big strong kid, throws hard... hope he still shows in the fall...

bcolston15
5/16/2011, 08:28 PM
I think Bradley's situation will play out much like Zach Lee's did last year. He went to LSU with every intention of playing football and baseball; he even went to a few fall football practices before signing with the Dodgers. ($5.2 mil) That's way, way, way above the slot for 24th in the 1st round.

If Bradley wants 4 million a year he's not going to be a simple sign. I bet he signs, but I bet it's last minute.

SOONER STEAKER
5/17/2011, 01:00 AM
4 million a year. NO ONE is worth that kind of coin. Just look at the Nationals who paid out the nose for the kid who threw 95+, he had Tommy John surgery after 3/4 of a season. These teams are NOT gonna pay these outragious $$$ for kids anymore. Couple million maybe, but $4 million a year? These athlets are way over paid, earn your $$$ in the minors. IF these MLB franchises pay $4 million they are suckers!!

OUmillenium
5/19/2011, 01:28 PM
I think Bradley's situation will play out much like Zach Lee's did last year. He went to LSU with every intention of playing football and baseball; he even went to a few fall football practices before signing with the Dodgers. ($5.2 mil) That's way, way, way above the slot for 24th in the 1st round.

If Bradley wants 4 million a year he's not going to be a simple sign. I bet he signs, but I bet it's last minute.

NYY, Boston, and LA are the few teams that still pay "out of slot" sums of money because they can.

Hope is probably the only one who might show up in college ball and I put that at 50/50 at best.

soonertravis
5/20/2011, 12:29 PM
4 million a year. NO ONE is worth that kind of coin. Just look at the Nationals who paid out the nose for the kid who threw 95+, he had Tommy John surgery after 3/4 of a season. These teams are NOT gonna pay these outragious $$$ for kids anymore. Couple million maybe, but $4 million a year? These athlets are way over paid, earn your $$$ in the minors. IF these MLB franchises pay $4 million they are suckers!!

$4 million is a signing bonus, not their yearly salary and top 10 talent can get $4 million signing bonuses. Bundy's number is alleged to be very high, but guys I have read don't think anyone is too worried.

These teams are paying $3 million to 16 year old Dominicans, etc., they will pay it for top talent in the draft.

soonertravis
5/20/2011, 12:33 PM
Sorry didn't see the ask prices above. As I alluded to, there are many who do not expect these guys are getting anything close to the asking price.

KNEE BRACE
5/20/2011, 01:00 PM

i dont think you have a good understanding of how this works. sounds like youre jealous of a bunch of soon to be rich high schoolers

bcolston15
5/20/2011, 01:05 PM
NYY, Boston, and LA are the few teams that still pay "out of slot" sums of money because they can.

Hope is probably the only one who might show up in college ball and I put that at 50/50 at best.

You realize those teams won't draft until late in the first round, right?

Bradley will be gone before then. Everything I have seen is in the 15-20 range.

I really don't think he's going to be a simple draft and sign. Conventional wisdom and odds say he'll sign in the end, but it's not a rubber stamp. I'd say it's 60-40 sign/go to school.

KNEE BRACE
5/20/2011, 01:10 PM
More like 95/5

They'll set their early demands high, probably miss all of the professional season this year, and then sign right before the deadline next year

bcolston15
5/20/2011, 01:18 PM
More like 95/5

They'll set their early demands high, probably miss all of the professional season this year, and then sign right before the deadline next year

You mean in August, like three months from now? They'll have about a month and a half to make a decision.

KNEE BRACE
5/20/2011, 01:19 PM
You mean in August, like three months from now? They'll have about a month and a half to make a decision.

Maybe for Bradley, but not Bundy.

Let's face it, Bradley will never see OU's campus.

bcolston15
5/20/2011, 01:32 PM
Maybe for Bradley, but not Bundy.

Let's face it, Bradley will never see OU's campus.

You're aware that Bradley will be drafted this June, right? Why did you say next year? Are you confused? He'll either sign pro or come to OU this August.

I wouldn't be surprised if he went to some fall football practices. Zach Lee did that at LSU last season before signing with the Dodgers. That serves two purposes: It lets the MLB team know you're serious about college and it keeps you in the loop just in case you do go to school.

KNEE BRACE
5/20/2011, 01:46 PM
You're aware that Bradley will be drafted this June, right? Why did you say next year? Are you confused? He'll either sign pro or come to OU this August.

I wouldn't be surprised if he went to some fall football practices. Zach Lee did that at LSU last season before signing with the Dodgers. That serves two purposes: It lets the MLB team know you're serious about college and it keeps you in the loop just in case you do go to school.

No, I'm saying Bradley will have to make that decision, but Bundy won't. I thought we were talking about the two of them?

Bradley is going to do all he can to force his team's hand, but he's going to end up going pro. His $20 mil pricetag will drop to $10-12 eventually and he'll sign. You don't pass up that kind of money to play in college.

bcolston15
5/20/2011, 01:55 PM
No, I'm saying Bradley will have to make that decision, but Bundy won't. I thought we were talking about the two of them?

Bradley is going to do all he can to force his team's hand, but he's going to end up going pro. His $20 mil pricetag will drop to $10-12 eventually and he'll sign. You don't pass up that kind of money to play in college.

I guess that's your take on it. Bundy doesn't have the leverage of playing football in college. And you're making a mistake if you don't think that football is something Bradley truly loves, more than baseball actually.

I promise, it's not a 95-5 chance he signs.

I cannot speak to Bundy. I honestly don't know much about him.

KNEE BRACE
5/20/2011, 02:04 PM
Works for me.

I just don't think his people let him do football without collecting that baseball money first.