PDA

View Full Version : what's the best way to kill a...

TheBobbyTrain
5/13/2011, 10:42 AM
tree stump? I've got a couple that just won't go away and they are too big to dig out. What's the best way to get rid of these bastards?

thanks and I'll take it off the air.

jk the sooner fan
5/13/2011, 10:44 AM
stump grinder?

Mongo
5/13/2011, 10:45 AM
call in 2000lb JDAM strike

OutlandTrophy
5/13/2011, 10:46 AM
light a bag of charcoal on the stumps

sanantoniosooner
5/13/2011, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't leave a trail that the DA can find.

This is how they all slip up and get caught.

oudavid1
5/13/2011, 10:47 AM
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Harvey-Updyke.jpg

Sooner_Tuf
5/13/2011, 10:48 AM
Guns are always a good bet. Exercise your Second Amendment Rights.

TheBobbyTrain
5/13/2011, 10:52 AM
call in 2000lb JDAM strike

i'm not above using explosives, but i don't necessarily want to take out my house in the process.

jumperstop
5/13/2011, 10:54 AM
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Harvey-Updyke.jpg

Stole my joke....:(

Lawton4Life
5/13/2011, 10:57 AM
Cross and holy water?

KantoSooner
5/13/2011, 11:15 AM
Kill it? Or remove it?

I had a dam wahoo tree (long, nasty thorns) that was put in to keep deer out of an area. I chopped it down and the thing kept on living forever. I finally drilled 1/4" holes into the stump and poured liquid, full strength Roundup into the holes.
Killed the sumbitch.
Dead.

To remove a stump, the charcoal idea sounds good. Your garden store will also have some stuff that you mix with water and then repeatedly soak the stump. It has a chemical that supports long, slow compbustion. Once you've soaked it a couple of times,you light the stump and it sort of glows away over the course of a day or two. Burns out down about a foot deep.

olevetonahill
5/13/2011, 11:52 AM
Never tried the burning em like that. But If they are fresh stumps cut low to the ground, Drill ya few holes in em and pour em full of this .
http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/

soonerchk
5/13/2011, 12:04 PM
Kerosene.

oudavid1
5/13/2011, 12:18 PM
Stole my joke....:(

Get Big!!!! :D

C&CDean
5/13/2011, 01:27 PM
If it's still alive you pour Tordon around the bark line of the stump. If it's dead and you just want it outta there you can either rent a stump grinder, call a stump grinding service, or take a 55-gallon drum, cut it in half, put the top half around the stump (with some holes knocked in it for air) throw in a bunch of dry limbs/brush (or charcoal) and light it up. Keep feeding it for a couple hours, then after a couple days, your stump will be burned out below ground level.

The
5/13/2011, 01:32 PM
A REAL man would tie a rope around the stump, attach it to his pickup, and then haul that bastard out of the ground.

C&CDean
5/13/2011, 01:33 PM
A REAL man would tie a rope around the stump, attach it to his pickup, and then haul that bastard out of the ground.

A REAL stupid man would.

olevetonahill
5/13/2011, 01:35 PM
A REAL stupid man would.

:D :D
Yup either yer rope would snap or ya would yank yer bumper off .;)

oudavid1
5/13/2011, 01:36 PM

A REAL stupid man would.

Win

The
5/13/2011, 01:56 PM
Win
http://www.poormojo.org/pmjadaily/archives/Blank-Facepalm.gif

KantoSooner
5/13/2011, 01:57 PM
If it's still alive you pour Tordon around the bark line of the stump. If it's dead and you just want it outta there you can either rent a stump grinder, call a stump grinding service, or take a 55-gallon drum, cut it in half, put the top half around the stump (with some holes knocked in it for air) throw in a bunch of dry limbs/brush (or charcoal) and light it up. Keep feeding it for a couple hours, then after a couple days, your stump will be burned out below ground level.

That oil drum solution sounds like the ticket. I've got three stumps on my list and I may just start the process this weekend. Thank you

C&CDean
5/13/2011, 01:59 PM
Por nada.

Jammin'
5/13/2011, 02:00 PM
I've read this thread now and have come to this conclusion:

threads about legalizing mj aren't as bad as I thought.

C&CDean
5/13/2011, 02:06 PM
I've read this thread now and have come to this conclusion:

threads about legalizing mj aren't as bad as I thought.

Well if you'd quit smoking the ****, pull up your pants, turn your hat around, go get a ****ing job, buy a house, plant a tree, then have it die so you could figure out how to remove the stump you'd find a lot more value in this thread.

Cheez-It
5/13/2011, 02:10 PM
Make it into a piece of art:

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/haunted-tree-stump-candy-stand-2.jpg

oudavid1
5/13/2011, 02:15 PM
http://www.poormojo.org/pmjadaily/archives/Blank-Facepalm.gif

Win

Jammin'
5/13/2011, 02:20 PM
Well if you'd quit smoking the ****, pull up your pants, turn your hat around, go get a ****ing job, buy a house, plant a tree, then have it die so you could figure out how to remove the stump you'd find a lot more value in this thread.

I can kill a stump of a tree I planted in the yard of the house I own, while high, wearing a straight billed hat, backwards.

Okay, I lied, I'd never wear a straight-billed hat, that's for gays and young people.

But I do have a little 1/2 acre lot that my house sits on along with 16 various trees. And I might have to kill a few of them if they don't start acting better.

olevetonahill
5/13/2011, 02:38 PM
So Dean, you talkin about just using 2 feet or so of the barrel Open topped?
My Kid has a few hes been tryin to get rid of, Said he couldnt find any Borax :rolleyes: . The Dummy

C&CDean
5/13/2011, 02:44 PM
So Dean, you talkin about just using 2 feet or so of the barrel Open topped?
My Kid has a few hes been tryin to get rid of, Said he couldnt find any Borax :rolleyes: . The Dummy

Yup. You've gotta knock a few holes in the sides if you want it to burn a little hotter/quicker but either way it'll burn the stumps clean out if you keep feeding the fire for a few hours.

olevetonahill
5/13/2011, 02:46 PM
Yup. You've gotta knock a few holes in the sides if you want it to burn a little hotter/quicker but either way it'll burn the stumps clean out if you keep feeding the fire for a few hours.

Cool, Ill tell him. The Borax trick usually only works on fairly fresh stumps. But it dont require much labor .;)

IB4OU2
5/13/2011, 02:52 PM
What ever you do don't use a frontend loader and a chainsaw...

olevetonahill
5/13/2011, 02:53 PM
What ever you do don't use a frontend loader and a chainsaw...

And a FIL :eek:

KantoSooner
5/13/2011, 02:53 PM

Again, a classic post. I shall preserve it for all time.

Fish&Game
5/13/2011, 03:03 PM
I have used some stuff called, oddly enough, Stump Remover. It decomposes the wood of the tree stump, leaving it porous right down to the root tips. After a week or two, kerosene is poured onto the stump and the stump is ignited. The stump and the roots will burn a low, smoldering flame, not a big jumping flame.

I got the stuff at an Atwoods or maybe Tractor Supply, It worked pretty good for what I needed to do.

proud gonzo
5/13/2011, 03:37 PM
Call DC and Howzit.

Whet
5/13/2011, 03:42 PM
Like jk suggested, rent a stump grinder and grind down all three stumps.

TheBobbyTrain
5/13/2011, 07:52 PM
I have used some stuff called, oddly enough, Stump Remover. It decomposes the wood of the tree stump, leaving it porous right down to the root tips. After a week or two, kerosene is poured onto the stump and the stump is ignited. The stump and the roots will burn a low, smoldering flame, not a big jumping flame.

I got the stuff at an Atwoods or maybe Tractor Supply, It worked pretty good for what I needed to do.

i needed an excuse to go to either place. now i have one and for that i thank you and everyone else who provided input.

i have enough trees of which i harbor hatred for to try all *helpful* methods suggested. i like setting things on fire so this should be fun

olevetonahill
5/13/2011, 08:06 PM
Its been 35 years er better since I took Forestry . I think the Borax is a Natural way but it takes a season to get the job done and If I remember right the stump has to be fresh cut so it will draw it into the system;)

StoopTroup
5/13/2011, 09:09 PM

Can I borrow your truck?

StoopTroup
5/13/2011, 09:13 PM

For us folks that live within the city limits of a large town....I like Vet's Borax method and a stump grinder. Damn grinders make a hell of a mess and you have to re-sod the area around it even though you get rid of it. Your going to have to anyway where the stump was but it makes it an even bigger place to redo. That kind of sucks. Mine is it the back yard so it's not as big a deal.