Arkansas.
Boise. (yep, went there(figuratively))
Texas A&M.

Augusta_Sooner
5/13/2011, 08:59 AM
OU
Oregon
LSU
Boise (they open w/Georgia in the Georgia Dome) and could/should run the table if they win
Dark Horse: S. Carolina - IF Garcia gets his stuff together, combined with the talents of Lattimore, Jeffries (2 of the best at their positions) and a usually stoudt defense, they could 'sneak around the chicken coop' and find their way in the BCS title game. They did make it to the SEC title game last year and lost to the eventual nat'l champions.

silverwheels
5/13/2011, 09:06 AM
Any 5 teams from the SEC.

swardboy
5/13/2011, 09:15 AM
OU
West Virginia - I always worry they'll start winning games they're supposed to win.
Alabama - Got to give Saban props for getting the most out of his teams
Boise St. - Too much espin love
LSU - 'cause I don't know what's going on there.

salth2o
5/13/2011, 09:21 AM
OU
LSU
Bama
Wisconsin
FSU

oudavid1
5/13/2011, 09:22 AM
OU
West Virginia - I always worry they'll start winning games they're supposed to win.
Alabama - Got to give Saban props for getting the most out of his teams
Boise St. - Too much espin love
LSU - 'cause I don't know what's going on there.

Ratings?

swardboy
5/13/2011, 09:32 AM
Ratings?

No, homo.

BetterSoonerThanLater
5/13/2011, 09:37 AM
OU
LSU
ALA
UO
stanford

oudavid1
5/13/2011, 09:45 AM
OU
LSU
ALA
UO
stanford

QB, defense, head coach. In that order.

BetterSoonerThanLater
5/13/2011, 09:49 AM
talent talent talent in that order. if i knew you were going to be critiquing everyone's picks, it might have looked alittle more like this:

OU
OU
OU
OU
OU

NOVSooner
5/13/2011, 10:21 AM
OU
Bama
Oregon
Boise
Va Tech

lsu will lose 2-3 games this year, Va Tech will lose when they shouldn't but i really peg it as ou/bama. if oregon wins that first one, they've got a chance to run the table. can we re-do this after week 3?!

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/13/2011, 10:28 AM
In no particular order

Bama
Oregon
LSU
OU
Boise/Wisconsin

JLEW1818
5/13/2011, 10:29 AM
OU
LSU
Oregon
Florida St
Nebraska ...

texaspokieokie
5/13/2011, 10:38 AM
OU
who cares ????

BillyBall
5/13/2011, 10:57 AM
OU
Bama
LSU
Oregon
Florida State

Quik Sand
5/13/2011, 02:55 PM
OU
Bama
Oregon
LSU
Florida St.

Loser of LSU/Oregon will remain in solid position if they winout...this also applies to OU/FSU. Alabama gets LSU at home.

Darkhorse: Wisconsin

Cornfed
5/13/2011, 03:16 PM
OU
Alabama
LSU
Oregon (they will win the PAC and the schedules may allow them to go undefeated again)
WV (they will beat up on their schedule this year, but who is that...lol)

I can't say Boise, they will lose 2 games.

starclassic tama
5/13/2011, 03:21 PM
please tell me you don't think a&m is a serious top 5 contender

JLEW1818
5/13/2011, 03:22 PM

they lose to Akry and OU for sure.

prlly another one in there somewhere

and lose bowl game

9-4

badger
5/13/2011, 03:24 PM
I think the title game teams are going to have to be undefeated, and I see no SEC teams going undefeated this year with all of their top players going pro.

As such, for the first time since Vince Young beat USC, there will be no SEC team in the title game, thus ending their stranglehold on the crystal football.

Therefore, I will look for the newly formed Big Ten(Televen is now Tewelve) for one title contender, and the suddenly have and have-not Big 12 for the second. Both will have to be undefeated and both will have to have the BCS know-how to pull it off!

(1) OU vs (2) Wisconsin.

And I will cry day and night thinking about it after we win our final December games giving us the inevitable January matchup.

I really hope that I'm wrong.

SoonerofAlabama
5/13/2011, 03:25 PM
Ok to start:

Ohio State
Miami (FL)
Michigan
Kansas
Maryland...

And for my actual list:

Oklahoma
South Carolina
Oregon
Michigan State
Pittsburgh

oudavid1
5/13/2011, 03:36 PM

sorry :D

Ok to start:

Ohio State
Miami (FL)
Michigan
Kansas
Maryland...

And for my actual list:

Oklahoma
South Carolina
Oregon
Michigan State
Pittsburgh

This post made me laugh. Win.

Okie35
5/13/2011, 04:51 PM
ou
oregon
lsu
stanford
(tba)

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/13/2011, 05:03 PM
How come no one has said Okie St. They are a team on the rise!!

northspeter
5/13/2011, 05:15 PM
ou(can we limit offensive mistakes and defense shut someone down in a tough road game?) stillwater doesn't count, it's owen field 2.0...
bama(qb play may not be good enough, defense is great)
lsu(qb play not good enough)
oregon(bigtime offense, not much d)
notre dame(2nd year head coach at traditional power who's been down but making a comeback, we've heard it before)

mightysooner
5/13/2011, 06:04 PM
I predict we will indeed make it to the NT next season and our opponent will be none other than LSU. Why? Because the NT game is in N.O. this year and we can't catch a break with playing SEC teams in a neutral environment.

mightysooner
5/13/2011, 06:19 PM
OU
Stanford
Oregon
BSU
tOSU

StoopTroup
5/13/2011, 06:27 PM
Bob Stoops
Brent Venables
Josh Heupel
Jay Norvel
Bobby Jack Wright

CarolinaSoonerFan
5/13/2011, 07:19 PM
OU
South Carolina
Oregon
Stanford
Alabama

stoopified
5/13/2011, 07:38 PM
talent talent talent in that order. if i knew you were going to be critiquing everyone's picks, it might have looked alittle more like this:

OU
OU
OU
OU
OUThere ya go

goingoneight
5/13/2011, 10:18 PM
Broyles... wins the title "Best WR in the country."
Jones... wins the title "Heisman Trophy winnar!!111!"
Stoops... wins the title "Coach of the Year"
OU wins the BIG 12-2 Title
OU wins the National Title

texaspokieokie
5/14/2011, 07:13 AM
OU
Stanford
Oregon
BSU
tOSU

you think tosu can overcome all their crap ??

Okie35
5/14/2011, 04:06 PM
you think tosu can overcome all their crap ??

They won't they'll lose to Michigan State or @ Nebraska. They do have a conference ship though so they can afford to lose 1 game.

bixby28
5/14/2011, 04:32 PM
Oklahoma
Oregon
LSU
Alabama
Boise St.

Putting this top 5 together allowed me to realize how much of a crapshoot it is to patch together a preseason poll.

I'll say that the season opener for Oregon at home with LSU is going to be an interesting game to watch. I would personally love to see Lester get beat by about 35pts and get taken out of NC consideration, early. They've won two NC in the last decade in the Sugar Bowl with a home-field advantage.

texaspokieokie
5/14/2011, 05:02 PM
They won't they'll lose to Michigan State or @ Nebraska. They do have a conference ship though so they can afford to lose 1 game.

at least 5 of their top guys are gonna miss the 1st 5 games. probly more bad stuff is gonna happen. they're in deep doodoo.

Okie35
5/14/2011, 05:18 PM
at least 5 of their top guys are gonna miss the 1st 5 games. probly more bad stuff is gonna happen. they're in deep doodoo.

Yea I forgot about the game @ Miami and later Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin (not the exact order). That a tough amount of games. I didn't put tOSU in my 5 but my 5th would probably be WVU. All they have to do is get past LSU @ home (and probably can afford to lose that). Their schedule is cupcake.

Salt City Sooner
5/14/2011, 11:41 PM
Oklahoma
Oregon
LSU
Alabama
Boise St.

Putting this top 5 together allowed me to realize how much of a crapshoot it is to patch together a preseason poll.

I'll say that the season opener for Oregon at home with LSU is going to be an interesting game to watch. I would personally love to see Lester get beat by about 35pts and get taken out of NC consideration, early. They've won two NC in the last decade in the Sugar Bowl with a home-field advantage.
That game is at Jerryworld.

bixby28
5/14/2011, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=Salt City Sooner;3229939]That game is at Jerryworld.[/QUOTE

I stand corrected. :D

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 09:25 AM
I think the title game teams are going to have to be undefeated, and I see no SEC teams going undefeated this year with all of their top players going pro.

As such, for the first time since Vince Young beat USC, there will be no SEC team in the title game, thus ending their stranglehold on the crystal football.

Therefore, I will look for the newly formed Big Ten(Televen is now Tewelve) for one title contender, and the suddenly have and have-not Big 12 for the second. Both will have to be undefeated and both will have to have the BCS know-how to pull it off!

(1) OU vs (2) Wisconsin.

And I will cry day and night thinking about it after we win our final December games giving us the inevitable January matchup.

I really hope that I'm wrong.

Who will be Wisconsin's quarterback? They did lose Scott Tolzien, so will it be Tice or Budmayr?

texaspokieokie
5/15/2011, 09:57 AM
brett favre:D

IronHorseSooner
5/15/2011, 10:37 AM
OU
'Bama
LSU
Oregon
FSU

What is really good about that list is that everybody on that list plays at least one other Top 5 team. I predict that after non-con play, OU will knock out FSU, and LSU will eliminate Oregon. Remember- 'Bama gets LSU in Tuscaloosa, and I am not impressed with the LSU QB situation. That would leave OU & 'Bama for the title. There are several "pretender" teams out there (OSU, tOSU, Stanford, A&M, Arky, and South Carolina), that all have at least one glaring flaw. For OSU, A&M, Arky, and even South Carolina, they are all offense and no defense. I am also not convinced that the Stanford and Boise State QBs can simply "will" their way to an MNC appearance without playmakers. tOSU is a darn mess.

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 10:56 AM
OU
'Bama
LSU
Oregon
FSU

What is really good about that list is that everybody on that list plays at least one other Top 5 team. I predict that after non-con play, OU will knock out FSU, and LSU will eliminate Oregon. Remember- 'Bama gets LSU in Tuscaloosa, and I am not impressed with the LSU QB situation. That would leave OU & 'Bama for the title. There are several "pretender" teams out there (OSU, tOSU, Stanford, A&M, Arky, and South Carolina), that all have at least one glaring flaw. For OSU, A&M, Arky, and even South Carolina, they are all offense and no defense. I am also not convinced that the Stanford and Boise State QBs can simply "will" their way to an MNC appearance without playmakers. tOSU is a darn mess.

Boise State is one of those teams that is good every year, but cannot get the job done when it really counts in my opinion. Look at them against nevada last year.

Stanford doesn't have enough talent to be a real contendor, although they will probably win their first seven games or so before they start getting into the grit and grind of the season.

Ohio State doesn't have a chance no matter what Kirk Herbstreit says.

Arkansas doesn't have the quarterback or the defense to win too many games.

South Carolina doesn't have a quarterback, but their running game will win them their first six games most likely.

Texas A&M will most likely win eight games next year becuase they have Tannehill, a good receiving corps, and a running game.

Oregon is a good team, similar to ours in ways, and they will most likely win the Pac-12 title.

LSU and Alabama will be the favorites to win the SEC, but (don't laugh) Tennessee might give them a run for their money. They have a talented young quarterback and their team was so young last year that they took until late in the year to get to 6-6.

Florida State has a talented and shifty quarterback in EJ Manuel, who has experience because Ponder got hurt last year. They have talent and we will have a tough time with them tthrough most of our game against them.

Soonermagik
5/15/2011, 11:01 AM
OU
LSU
Oregon
Florida State
Alabama

At least one of these teams will be in the national title game!

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 03:25 PM
Just to put this out there:

Tennessee might actually be good next year. They have a good quarterback that now has experience. They aren't very complete just yet, but a 10 win season is not out of the question for them. They're schedule is relatively easy, except for LSU and Alabama in back-to-back weeks.

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 03:43 PM
Contenders for the title this year.

Oklahoma.
LSU.
Arkansas.
Texas A&M.

Boise State doesn't have the necessary tools to win a national title this coming season. They didn't have a great recruitment year and they lost some of their quality players in the draft. Kellen Moore may be a talented quarterback, but he won't be able to do it alone. They have a good run game and do play terrible teams, but they won't be in the top 3. The voters of the BCS may have a bad reputation for not allowing non-AQ teams a shot at the title, but Boise State hasn't earned one. Their toughest games are against TCU, Nevada, ands Georgia. Three teams who have below average teams at the moment. Even if they go undefeated, they can only hope for a Fiesta Bowl berth, and the Fiesta Bowl most likely won't be a BCS bowl for long, but that is another story. And the BCS will mosty likely be dissolved, but we could talk about that for days. Fact is: Until Boise State gets into a quality conference in which they play actual talent, they won't get a shot at a title. They could possibly join the Big XII, but the Big XII may also be dissolved in a few years, which is a whole other story. To conclude, Boise State doesn't play high-quality talent and will most likely be a member of the Pac-12,13,14,15,16 or of a whole new conference that brings together a few teams from the Big XII.

oudavid1
5/15/2011, 06:49 PM
Boise State doesn't have the necessary tools to win a national title this coming season. They didn't have a great recruitment year and they lost some of their quality players in the draft. Kellen Moore may be a talented quarterback, but he won't be able to do it alone. They have a good run game and do play terrible teams, but they won't be in the top 3. The voters of the BCS may have a bad reputation for not allowing non-AQ teams a shot at the title, but Boise State hasn't earned one. Their toughest games are against TCU, Nevada, ands Georgia. Three teams who have below average teams at the moment. Even if they go undefeated, they can only hope for a Fiesta Bowl berth, and the Fiesta Bowl most likely won't be a BCS bowl for long, but that is another story. And the BCS will mosty likely be dissolved, but we could talk about that for days. Fact is: Until Boise State gets into a quality conference in which they play actual talent, they won't get a shot at a title. They could possibly join the Big XII, but the Big XII may also be dissolved in a few years, which is a whole other story. To conclude, Boise State doesn't play high-quality talent and will most likely be a member of the Pac-12,13,14,15,16 or of a whole new conference that brings together a few teams from the Big XII.

Well im doing pretty good if you can only attack one of my picks. And i love your argument. But here would be my response,

Boise has consistently played good defense. They have a great, yes, great quarterback in Kellen Moore(By great I mean like Josh Heupel, he was great in college, in that system, with that head coach). They can defend, they can run. With Moore you have QB taken care of. They can find the receivers to make the catches vs (TCU, Nevada, and UGA). Who here can honnestly name 2 Auburn receivers from last year. (SoonerinAlabama, you obviously dont count). Anyway, my last point is that they can go undefeated. The reason that matters more now than ever is the fact that this year could feature a whole lot of mediocre teams at the top which could give way for them to "contend". They have lost 5 games in 6 years. They have earned that respect. Not to mention there QB had 33 TDs and 5 INTs. I know they lose to awesome (and i mean pro level) receivers. BTW, those 2 WRs were 3 star recruits by rivals. Boise makes plays and wins games. I have to believe they are on the short list this year. Im not some "Boise Guy", if anything I think A&M is the darkhorse this year. But they are in a good spot.

oudavid1
5/15/2011, 06:54 PM
Just to put this out there:

Tennessee might actually be good next year. They have a good quarterback that now has experience. They aren't very complete just yet, but a 10 win season is not out of the question for them. They're schedule is relatively easy, except for LSU and Alabama in back-to-back weeks.

Trust me, I love the Vols(My two great uncles played there). But I think this is one heck of a reach. They cant beat Bama, LSU, and Florida(I hate Florida). I love Tyler Bray, hopefully he bulks up some. Skinny little bastage. But anyway, i am very optimistic but i dont think Dooley has them "there" yet. Offensive Line is improving but thats not saying much. Not to mention we lost D-Moore, Jones, and Stocker to throw too. Not sure if Rivera is back or not. Linebacker has always been shaky. Not to mention we lost our safety(Myles) to offseason bull ish last year. Prentice Wagner and Janzen Jackson have to take over back there. But i dont think they have all the pieces to put together a run just yet. Not to mention SoCar should beat em this year too.

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 07:47 PM
Well im doing pretty good if you can only attack one of my picks. And i love your argument. But here would be my response,

Boise has consistently played good defense. They have a great, yes, great quarterback in Kellen Moore(By great I mean like Josh Heupel, he was great in college, in that system, with that head coach). They can defend, they can run. With Moore you have QB taken care of. They can find the receivers to make the catches vs (TCU, Nevada, and UGA). Who here can honnestly name 2 Auburn receivers from last year. (SoonerinAlabama, you obviously dont count). Anyway, my last point is that they can go undefeated. The reason that matters more now than ever is the fact that this year could feature a whole lot of mediocre teams at the top which could give way for them to "contend". They have lost 5 games in 6 years. They have earned that respect. Not to mention there QB had 33 TDs and 5 INTs. I know they lose to awesome (and i mean pro level) receivers. BTW, those 2 WRs were 3 star recruits by rivals. Boise makes plays and wins games. I have to believe they are on the short list this year. Im not some "Boise Guy", if anything I think A&M is the darkhorse this year. But they are in a good spot.

I was good with your argument until you got my name wrong. :P

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 07:52 PM
And also, it may be a stretch to say that Tennessee has 10-win season next year, but if this is still the rebuilding stage then they will still reach eight. They have a rising star in Bray along with a good recruiting class. They have a shot, not at the national title, but at a quality bowl win for sure.

soonerfan28
5/15/2011, 07:54 PM
I think a team has to have a proven QB so my five are:
1.OU
2.Oregon
3.OSU (lil brother)
4.LSU
5.Wisconsin

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 08:14 PM
1.OU
2.Oregon
3.OSU (lil brother)
4.LSU
5.Wisconsin

Thought Tolzien graduated?

soonerfan28
5/15/2011, 08:24 PM
I'm basing Wisconsin on if Russell Wilson transfers. I would say Stanford instead of Wisconsin if he doesn't.

Iam4OUru
5/15/2011, 10:25 PM
1.OU
2.Oregon
3.OSU (lil brother)
4.LSU
5.Wisconsin

:eek:

The only thing Jefferson has proven is that he can keep his job.

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 10:34 PM
True. In the Cotton Bowl he did have three TDs, but he finished the season with under 1500 passing yards and the Tigers were 107th out of 120 teams in passing yards a game.

JLEW1818
5/15/2011, 11:18 PM
I've seen LSU win 2 national titles with two under average QB's.

oudavid1
5/15/2011, 11:53 PM
And also, it may be a stretch to say that Tennessee has 10-win season next year, but if this is still the rebuilding stage then they will still reach eight. They have a rising star in Bray along with a good recruiting class. They have a shot, not at the national title, but at a quality bowl win for sure.

Agreed! He has to hit the weight room. Cant wait for the third Saturday in October.

Thought Tolzien graduated?

This. And Kendricks.

I'm basing Wisconsin on if Russell Wilson transfers. I would say Stanford instead of Wisconsin if he doesn't.

Russell Wilson wont put them even near a Big 10+2 title.

Spek.

Always_Sooner
5/16/2011, 04:36 AM
OU
LSU
Alabama
Wisconsin
TCU

texaspokieokie
5/16/2011, 08:26 AM
Trust me, I love the Vols(My two great uncles played there). But I think this is one heck of a reach. They cant beat Bama, LSU, and Florida(I hate Florida). I love Tyler Bray, hopefully he bulks up some. Skinny little bastage. But anyway, i am very optimistic but i dont think Dooley has them "there" yet. Offensive Line is improving but thats not saying much. Not to mention we lost D-Moore, Jones, and Stocker to throw too. Not sure if Rivera is back or not. Linebacker has always been shaky. Not to mention we lost our safety(Myles) to offseason bull ish last year. Prentice Wagner and Janzen Jackson have to take over back there. But i dont think they have all the pieces to put together a run just yet. Not to mention SoCar should beat em this year too.

WE ????????

SoonerNomad
5/16/2011, 11:20 AM
Boise State is one of those teams that is good every year, but cannot get the job done when it really counts in my opinion. Look at them against nevada last year.

Stanford doesn't have enough talent to be a real contendor, although they will probably win their first seven games or so before they start getting into the grit and grind of the season.

Ohio State doesn't have a chance no matter what Kirk Herbstreit says.

Arkansas doesn't have the quarterback or the defense to win too many games.

South Carolina doesn't have a quarterback, but their running game will win them their first six games most likely.

Texas A&M will most likely win eight games next year becuase they have Tannehill, a good receiving corps, and a running game.

Oregon is a good team, similar to ours in ways, and they will most likely win the Pac-12 title.

LSU and Alabama will be the favorites to win the SEC, but (don't laugh) Tennessee might give them a run for their money. They have a talented young quarterback and their team was so young last year that they took until late in the year to get to 6-6.

Florida State has a talented and shifty quarterback in EJ Manuel, who has experience because Ponder got hurt last year. They have talent and we will have a tough time with them tthrough most of our game against them.

Kirk Herbstreit has had to move out of Columbus because he has made negative statements about Coach Tressel and the players involved in Tattoo gate, leading to ridiculous verbal attacks on his family. Most Ohio State fans think he is too critical of his alma mater, while the other fan bases feel like you, that he pumps them up just because he went to school there.

I believe he calls it how he sees it. How's that working for him? That's a shame.

SoonerNomad
5/16/2011, 11:26 AM
On the original topic of this thread. I would put these five as title contenders"

1. Alabama. Defense should be better. Need to find a steady QB. Great coach.
2. Oregon. Defense will be worse, but offense might be even better (I mean faster). They also have a coach that can handle the pressure and expectations.
3. Oklahoma - need to get tougher at the line of scrimmage, but talent galore everywhere else.
4. Michigan State - most experienced team in a weak conference. It's this year or never for Sparty.
5. LSU - most talented team everywhere except QB, but Oregon in Dallas and traveling to Tuscaloosa may be too much.

oudavid1
5/16/2011, 12:12 PM
WE ????????

lol Rocky Top

Iam4OUru
5/16/2011, 11:48 PM

'07 was nothing less than luck. Uncanny, isn't it? :eek:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/2007_archive_review.html

Sooners78
5/19/2011, 11:23 AM
'07 was nothing less than luck. Uncanny, isn't it? :eek:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/2007_archive_review.html

Completely depended on ESPN touting SEC as the best conference, and since LSU won that conference, they got to play Ohio St. That was the most controversial BCS champion so far.

OU_Sooners75
5/19/2011, 12:52 PM
Contenders for the title this year.

Oklahoma.
LSU.
Arkansas.
Texas A&M.

Huh, Arkansas? A&M? :confused:

Oklahoma
Alabama
Oregon