PDA

View Full Version : India Pale Ale

delhalew
5/13/2011, 07:04 AM
http://www.beerconnoisseur.com/the-origins-of-ipa
I'm not a big fan. I can think of a handful that I like, and I only like them occasipnally.

That said, some ya'll love the hell out of an IPA. So tell people like me why.
This is a good one.
http://community2.metalreview.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/8/5074.bells_2D00_brewery_2D00_two_2D00_hearted_2D00 _ale_2D00_all_2D00_beer_2D00_blog.jpg

American
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/116
English
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/150

diverdog
5/13/2011, 08:53 AM
I am not a big fan of IPA's. Having said that I am fortunate to live about 30 minutes from Dogfish Head and I have tried their 60,75,90 and 120 IPA. The 120 is to much and very hoppy. The 90 minute IPA has won them a lot of awards and is the brewery's most famous beer.

One thing that is really great is that America has gotten back to its beer making roots and we are starting to get tons of great regional beers. In my small state we have 5-6 micro breweries.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 09:00 AM
I am not a big fan of IPA's. Having said that I am fortunate to live about 30 minutes from Dogfish Head and I have tried their 60,75,90 and 120 IPA. The 120 is to much and very hoppy. The 90 minute IPA has won them a lot of awards and is the brewery's most famous beer.

One thing that is really great is that America has gotten back to its beer making roots and we are starting to get tons of great regional beers. In my small state we have 5-6 micro breweries.

True. Oklahoma is way behind. I would like to see us step up our game.

silverwheels
5/13/2011, 09:02 AM
COOP Ale Works on Western makes some pretty good beer.

OhU1
5/13/2011, 09:14 AM
IPA is an aquired taste in my opinion. IPA gets its bite from an "abnormally" large amounts of hops. I compare the development of a taste and preference for a very hoppy beer to someone who eats spicy hot food. Over time someone who loves spicy hot food will typically seek out spicer and hotter food over the milder versions of the same dish. Hops are the "spice" of beer. I still enjoy pale ales from time to time but these beers can seem rather mild and bland to my palate compared to the robust flavor and aroma of a good IPA.

I love IPAs but I have gone through phases of being a little burned out on them. I like variety but the IPA is my base "go to" beer. I know people who will drink nothing but IPAs anymore.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 09:14 AM
COOP Ale Works on Western makes some pretty good beer.

Is it a brew pub, or can you stop by and fill a growler?

sooner ngintunr
5/13/2011, 09:17 AM
Marshall Brewing Company IPA is pretty good.

The
5/13/2011, 09:17 AM
http://imageshack.us/m/193/3938/stoneipa.jpg

9 times out of 10, I prefer an IPA.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 09:20 AM
IPA is an aquired taste in my opinion. IPA gets its bite from an "abnormally" large amounts of hops. I compare the development of a taste and preference for a very hoppy beer to someone who eats spicy hot food. Over time someone who loves spicy hot food will typically seek out spicer and hotter food over the milder versions of the same dish. Hops are the "spice" of beer. I still enjoy pale ales from time to time but these beers can seem rather mild and bland to my palate compared to the robust flavor and aroma of a good IPA.

I love IPAs but I have gone through phases of being a little burned out on them. I like variety but the IPA is my base "go to" beer. I know people who will drink nothing but IPAs anymore.

If the local liquor stores would remember to stock well balanced, classic styles rather than a wall of hop bombs, I would be more satisfied.

OhU1
5/13/2011, 09:24 AM
If the local liquor stores would remember to stock well balanced, classic styles rather than a wall of hop bombs, I would be more satisfied.

I would too. I like hop bombs sometimes but I'm a little tired of them. I want more english style offerings.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 09:31 AM
I would too. I like hop bombs sometimes but I'm a little tired of them. I want more english style offerings.

Sometimes you want a ton of hops. I planted Cascade hops at my evil lair...
Variety is the key. Stores in my area have none. I work hard to get beer other than IPA. Honestly, that is a big reason I took matters into my own hands.

Jammin'
5/13/2011, 09:35 AM

Their 90 min is one of a handful of beers I consider my favs. Damn near impossible to get around here though.

I tend to pick up Great Divides "Hercules" Double IPA (are Doubles allowed on this thread?) as a mainstay in my fridge.

Avery's "Maharaja" Imperial IPA is good. (and as summer approaches you should be able to find it. Summer Seasonal, I think?)

I can do Boulevards Double Wide IPA, but it's not my fav.

silverwheels
5/13/2011, 09:40 AM
Is it a brew pub, or can you stop by and fill a growler?

It's just a brewery. You can sample and their beers are sold at a lot of places in OKC.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 09:41 AM
Their 90 min is one of a handful of beers I consider my favs. Damn near impossible to get around here though.

I tend to pick up Great Divides "Hercules" Double IPA (are Doubles allowed on this thread?) as a mainstay in my fridge.

Avery's "Maharaja" Imperial IPA is good. (and as summer approaches you should be able to find it. Summer Seasonal, I think?)

I can do Boulevards Double Wide IPA, but it's not my fav.

I like the Single Wide.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 09:43 AM
It's just a brewery. You can sample and their beers are sold at a lot of places in OKC.

Cool. I wouldn't mind some reviews from those of you who have tried them out.

Jammin'
5/13/2011, 09:56 AM
I like the Single Wide.

I love their Sixth Glass, but that's for another thread.

And I do LOVE spicy food, real spicy, ****ing hot spicy.
So it makes sense that I LOVE IPA's. Bring on the hops.

The
5/13/2011, 09:58 AM

Stop being me.

BillyBall
5/13/2011, 10:03 AM
IPA's are by far my favorite beer. Bear Republic Racer 5, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Lagunitas IPA, Two Hearted Ale, Stone IPA, Anderson Valley IPA... If I keep going I will get carpal tunnel.

Jammin'
5/13/2011, 10:10 AM
Stop being me.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh27qk7kKb1qao7qlo1_500.jpg

NormanPride
5/13/2011, 10:13 AM
I prefer the floral dry hopped IPAs rather than the early hopped and bitter ones. That's why the 90 minute is so good. You get a good balance of hops that have brought bitterness to the table (early in the boil) and hops that bring the floral scent (late in the boil).

delhalew
5/13/2011, 10:17 AM

I put Louisiana Hot sauce on almost anything, and grow habernero peppers in my yard. I can only go so far with hops. If it masks the character of the beer I'm out, but clearly I am in the minority.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 10:19 AM
I prefer the floral dry hopped IPAs rather than the early hopped and bitter ones. That's why the 90 minute is so good. You get a good balance of hops that have brought bitterness to the table (early in the boil) and hops that bring the floral scent (late in the boil).

I feel like Bell's Two Hearted Ale is very much like that.

NormanPride
5/13/2011, 10:30 AM
I have not had that one. OK's selection is so **** poor because of the liquor laws that it's hard to get a good sampling around here.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 10:33 AM
I have not had that one. OK's selection is so **** poor because of the liquor laws that it's hard to get a good sampling around here.

If ya'll make the trip up the Wisconsin, it should be everywhere.

NormanPride
5/13/2011, 10:55 AM
We might have to do that now...

Fraggle145
5/13/2011, 12:28 PM

yep

delhalew
5/13/2011, 12:53 PM
Apparently, this is an Imperial IPA.
http://www.frothyhead.com/var/plain_site/storage/images/beer/united-states/dogfish-head-craft-brewery/90-minute-ipa/1172-1-eng-US/90-Minute-IPA_beer_medium.jpg
Dogfishhead 90 minute.

OhU1
5/13/2011, 01:03 PM
I planted Cascade hops at my evil lair...

Good luck with the hops. I tried to grow Cascade in 2008 and 2009 in Norman. Both years the hops grew like crazy through late May and early June. Then when the 100 degree days came they withered, turned brown, and died. One year we had them growing near a brick wall which probably raidiated even more heat. Another year I suspect mites helped do them in.

I'm not sure if the intense heat was the main factor or not for these vines not making it. We are pretty far south of prime hop growing country. It is fun to try though.

JohnnyMack
5/13/2011, 01:28 PM
Pliny the Elder is in my opinion the best IPA around.

IPA's have a pretty short shelf life and you'll get better results from a fresh keg or from fresh bottles.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 02:23 PM
When a beer goes skunky it's due to the hops. It would seem that more hops equals uber skunky.

OUMallen
5/13/2011, 02:30 PM
True. Oklahoma is way behind. I would like to see us step up our game.

OKC has at least 3 microbreweries working right now, and that's pretty decent, IMO.

JohnnyMack
5/13/2011, 02:37 PM
When a beer goes skunky it's due to the hops. It would seem that more hops equals uber skunky.

Really I was talking more about hops having a tendency to fade quickly. Too often I find that when I drink an IPA from a bottle the spice and/or floral and/or citrus that the brewer intended to be in the brew has faded and you're left with a malty, sweet beer that lacks the original balance that was part of it when it was brewed.

That and every brewer just has to make an IPA. Even if it's very average, they've gotta do one. Ubiquitous and played out as a style for sure. But when you have a fresh, well made one it can be truly great.

OUMallen
5/13/2011, 02:37 PM

http://www.coopaleworks.com/wp-content/themes/cooptheme/images/beerlogo-granporter.png

Gran Sport Porter- my favorite of all of them. I always order a glass when I can.

http://www.coopaleworks.com/wp-content/themes/cooptheme/images/beerlogobig-dnr.png
DNR- Belgian-style ale. It's pretty good, but for me it's a one-and-done because it's kind of cloying. High alc %. Still, a fun order, and it's definitely one of their better beers.

http://www.breweryfans.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/beer_picture_large/beer_pictures/horny2.jpg
Horny Toad- a cerveza style lager. I find this one to be OK, but not amazing. Has the signature COOP after taste, and is available at liquor stores in pint cans.

http://www.breweryfans.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/beer_picture_large/beer_pictures/zepp.jpg

Zeppelin German Wheat- I love this one, but i'm super partial to wheat beers. On a national scale- it's a decent offering. On a local scale- I'm proud it's brewed here and is very good.

http://www.coopaleworks.com/wp-content/themes/cooptheme/images/beerlogobig-native-amber.png
Native Amber- people love this one. I'm not a huge amber guy but still enjoy his one. Available in cans. Great offering

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rIhldCIAm2Y/TRp5lK1opyI/AAAAAAAAAQk/PtKVX1CorA4/s200/beerlogobig-F5-IPA.png
F5 IPA- this one, I love. I think this is what an IPA should taste like. It's liek the baseline IPA that you would give to someone new to IPAs and say, "This is what a standard, good IPA tastes like. There are plenty better, but this one is balanced and is representative of the style."

delhalew
5/13/2011, 02:38 PM
OKC has at least 3 microbreweries working right now, and that's pretty decent, IMO.

Ok. What am I missing besides Coop, and the Bricktown Brewery(which barely counts)?

silverwheels
5/13/2011, 02:39 PM

Horny Toad - COOP's version of a cerveza/light beer, and the most recent permanent addition to their stable. They came up with it to try and get the Bud Light/Corona crowd of Oklahoma to ease their way over into craft beers. It's good for what it is. Nice beer for chilling out in the Summer. This is sold in some OKC liquor stores in 4-packs of 16-oz. cans.

Zeppelin - Their version of a German wheat beer. You get hints of banana and clove, which come from the strain of yeast they use, not those actual ingredients, which are not used in the brewing process. Very cool and very tasty.

F5 - COOP's IPA. 7.7% ABV, but not overly hoppy or dry. It's pretty good and a nice introduction to IPAs for people who aren't their biggest fans (like me).

Native Amber - A little on the dry side for an Amber, but still packed with flavor. This is also sold in some OKC liquor stores in 4-packs of 16-oz. cans.

Gran Sport Porter - Very smooth and robust. Light notes of chocolate and roasted nuts. Very good.

DNR - COOP's heavy hitter, a 10% ABV Belgian-style golden ale. Has strong hints of fruit and vanilla to offset the high ABV. Also very good.

Do I think any of these beers are the best I've had of their respective types? Probably not. But COOP is only about 2 years old and putting that into consideration, what they have done is incredibly impressive. So impressive that they're already having to build a bigger brewery. Also of note: none of their beers are under 5% ABV. No near-beer stuff.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 02:42 PM
Really I was talking more about hops having a tendency to fade quickly. Too often I find that when I drink an IPA from a bottle the spice and/or floral and/or citrus that the brewer intended to be in the brew has faded and you're left with a malty, sweet beer that lacks the original balance that was part of it when it was brewed.

That and every brewer just has to make an IPA. Even if it's very average, they've gotta do one. Ubiquitous and played out as a style for sure. But when you have a fresh, well made one it can be truly great.

That is also true.

OUMallen
5/13/2011, 02:44 PM
Ok. What am I missing besides Coop, and the Bricktown Brewery(which barely counts)?

COOP Aleworks
Redbud (small oepration. kegs only right now. I haven't tried any)
Battered Boar

I forgot about the Bricktown Brewery. Their beers are awful. I wish COOP would buy them.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 02:45 PM
So Mallan, do they do bottles as well as kegs and cans? Am I the only one that thinks it's strange that their distribution doesn't seem to stretch outside of OKC?

silverwheels
5/13/2011, 02:48 PM
No bottles yet. They're still new but they are expanding at a pretty decent clip.

OUMallen
5/13/2011, 02:51 PM
So Mallan, do they do bottles as well as kegs and cans? Am I the only one that thinks it's strange that their distribution doesn't seem to stretch outside of OKC?

COOP only has pint cans right now, and I think it's still only the Horny Toad and Native Amber only.

And I don't think it's strange at all. They are doing things thr right way- starting small and working up. Their product is so quality that as long as they don't mismanage, I think they'll be good.

Battered Boar has more offerings, and in bottles. The only one I can recommend is their amber, though.

JohnnyMack
5/13/2011, 02:52 PM
I think DNR is a mess. I also think Native Amber is a sleeper hit. A well hopped, flavorful example of an otherwise boring style.

OUMallen
5/13/2011, 02:57 PM
I can't pin down my exact feelings on the DNR. I loved it the first time I tried it, but as the novelty of OKC's own flagship brewery waned, so did my appreciation for the DNR.

delhalew
5/13/2011, 02:59 PM
COOP only has pint cans right now, and I think it's still only the Horny Toad and Native Amber only.

And I don't think it's strange at all. They are doing things thr right way- starting small and working up. Their product is so quality that as long as they don't mismanage, I think they'll be good.

Battered Boar has more offerings, and in bottles. The only one I can recommend is their amber, though.

Cans are fine for pouring in a glass. I only asked because I reuse bottles.
If the quality is there, the growth will happen.

I've never heard anything good about Battered Boar, I guess that's why I forgot about them.

When Oklahoma has three high quality Breweries, with at least one of them being respected outside of the state, I will be satisfied (that's a high bar), until then we have work to do.

OUMallen
5/13/2011, 03:08 PM

I've never heard anything good about Battered Boar, I guess that's why I forgot about them.

When Oklahoma has three high quality Breweries, with at least one of them being respected outside of the state, I will be satisfied (that's a high bar), until then we have work to do.

Agreed.

I don't know anyone that likes Battered Boar, honestly. I will pick up a 6er of their amber from time to time, but even then it's expensive and only kind of good.

I've poured out some of their offerings before, and I think I have 3 straggling BB beers in the back o fmy fridge right now I don't even care to fish out.

northspeter
5/13/2011, 05:00 PM

oklahoma breweries not mentioned

Choc brewery in Krebs...
Marshall Brewing Company in Tulsa..
Mustang Brewing Company in Mustang...
Bell Isle Brewery in OKC...

and there are more planned...

p.s. i love the Marshall and Choc brews...

also, i forgot to add Leffe to the Belgian brew thread... love that one!

OUMallen
5/13/2011, 05:16 PM
Choc qualifies as high quality. I haven't been wowwed by Marshall.

northspeter
5/13/2011, 05:19 PM

i think Atlas IPA, Sundown Wheat and Revival Red are pretty solid... Atlas and Red are pretty hoppy...

JohnnyMack
5/13/2011, 05:34 PM

El Cucuy and Revival Red are good. So is Big Jamoke. The rest is all kind of just there.

StoopTroup
5/13/2011, 05:53 PM
There is a lot of "I think...." in this thread.

I know :D because I've seen it.

brian
5/13/2011, 09:20 PM
coop is awesome. i love the amber and the dnr. horny toad is good for a "cerveza" as they describe it. i am a huge ipa fan, but oddly enough their ipa is not one of my preferred coops. just check the cans before you buy them if you are getting them at a liquor store as they have yet to perfect the canning process and sometimes you can get one that is a little flat.

delhalew
5/14/2011, 12:33 AM
My sixer of Left Hand's 400lb Monkey English IPA is a bit skunky. Still drinkable. That's the chance you take with hoppy bear in Oklahoma.

Pricetag
5/14/2011, 10:33 AM
I don't get how you guys are able to separate all those flavors in beers. I think my tongue might be blind or something. All this stuff sounds wonderful, but I just can't taste it.

MeMyself&Me
5/17/2011, 02:08 PM
Without reading through the entire thread to see if it's been mentioned. I got to through out Dogfish Head 90 min. I think IPAs are best when there is a strong underlying malt profile. The 90 min is a great example of that.

delhalew
5/17/2011, 02:12 PM
Without reading through the entire thread to see if it's been mentioned. I got to through out Dogfish Head 90 min. I think IPAs are best when there is a strong underlying malt profile. The 90 min is a great example of that.

Yeah, that one is popular on SF.com.

MeMyself&Me
5/17/2011, 02:20 PM
It's also a very easy style to make well at home so between what I make and what other homebrewers I know make, I rarely buy an IPA.

NormanPride
5/17/2011, 02:52 PM
I don't get how you guys are able to separate all those flavors in beers. I think my tongue might be blind or something. All this stuff sounds wonderful, but I just can't taste it.
You've got to train yourself a bit. It takes practice. I know it's hard to drink lots of different kinds of beers, and it may be very difficult to spend a lot of time doing it. But the reward of having a finely tuned palate is worth the hard work of drinking beer. :D

Jammin'
5/17/2011, 02:53 PM
You've got to train yourself a bit. It takes practice. I know it's hard to drink lots of different kinds of beers, and it may be very difficult to spend a lot of time doing it. But the reward of having a finely tuned palate is worth the hard work of drinking beer. :D

^ This.

Plus, I like feeling drunk.

delhalew
6/25/2011, 10:40 PM
Drinking the **** out of this tonight. Pretty good.

http://clatl.com/imager/full-sail-ipa1jpg/b/original/1454752/15f0/full-sail-ipa1.jpg

Fraggle145
6/25/2011, 11:01 PM
We had COOP's F5 (and other styles) at the evolution meeting in Norman last weekend. The F5 IPA ran out before all of the others and it wasnt close.

King Crimson
6/26/2011, 08:30 AM
Pliny is the best i've had....but, rarely in stores and around here gonzo right away unless you have a hook-up. dogfishhead beers are outstanding but a little pricey for my have a few time. nice on a special occasion.

i've been drinking the Avery and Upslope IPA's for quite a while. O'Dells 90 shilling i've been revisiting some. quietly a very solid beer for over a decade.