PDA

View Full Version : Thursday poll: Best Big 12 coach without a national title

badger
5/12/2011, 11:49 AM
I have to eliminate :mack: and Stoops to make this interesting. For the fun of it, let's include our recent Big 12 traitor coaches as well. :)

You have four days to vote. You may vote for one but may not change your vote and your vote is anonymous.

Argue your case below. :)

JLEW1818
5/12/2011, 11:55 AM
TT

Sooners78
5/12/2011, 12:00 PM
TT has a national title. Oh, never mind.

I'm going with Briles.

tfoolry
5/12/2011, 12:02 PM
Kirk Ferentz

badger
5/12/2011, 12:03 PM
I voted on potential more than his moderate success at Iowa State. Think about this: Paul Rhodes has been able to do tons more in his short time at Iowa State than the reigning national championship coach at Auburn did in his short time there. Argue that Auburn cheated to get Cheez-It his title, but what Rhodes has done at the Big 12's dinky stepchild up north is amazing.

And his locker room speeches that later get posted to youtube are fun too :)
oAcKiMy0Gp4
7Nb2nKKl-hk

oudavid1
5/12/2011, 12:05 PM
Wow. Only one has a freaking stadium named after him. Easy choice.

badger
5/12/2011, 12:08 PM
I must question you early voters choose Tommy T. What exactly has he done since getting dumped by Auburn?

When Texas went 5-7 last year, one of the five wins was against Tommy. And it was in Lubbock.

Tech has looked rather "meh" since the days of mastermind pirate Mikey.

oudavid1
5/12/2011, 12:15 PM
I must question you early voters choose Tommy T. What exactly has he done since getting dumped by Auburn?

When Texas went 5-7 last year, one of the five wins was against Tommy. And it was in Lubbock.

In five years this will be the greatest understatement ever.

sooner_born_1960
5/12/2011, 12:18 PM
Wow. Only one has a freaking stadium named after him. Easy choice.
Just because he's the best coach Kansas St. has had, doesn't make him the third best coach in the Big 12.

badger
5/12/2011, 12:23 PM
Just because he's the best coach Kansas St. has had, doesn't make him the third best coach in the Big 12.

Agree... but at the same time, I'm not sure any other coach will ever be successful at Kansas State other than Snyder. Would Stoops be successful? Yeah, but only if he wanted to go there, which he probably never ever never ever never ever would (unless it was a stepping stone assistant job).

Out of every coach that would go to KSU, Snyder's the only one that can get that program to be competitive.

So... if I wasn't voting on potential... :D

LakeRat
5/12/2011, 12:40 PM
I have to go with [hairGel]. In my opinion, he has done an outstanding job at OSU. Where as Snyder did it when OU and Texass were down, Gundy has built a solid program while those two dominate programs are on top.

badger
5/12/2011, 12:46 PM
I wish I could convince you all to have more competitive polls. I wish that some of these polls wouldn't just be decided in less than an hour, especially the four-day voting ones.

So, I am afraid I will have to start some negative campaigning.

http://media.lawrence.com/img/photos/2003/12/06/BIG12TITLE_t440.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/andy_staples/12/04/big.12/t1_whiteksu.jpg

http://media.columbiamissourian.com/multimedia/2008/12/04/media/Ell_Roberson_ksuou02_t_w300_h600.jpg

http://media.lawrence.com/img/photos/2003/12/18/KStateSports_t640.jpg

That first pic looks like Snyder said "No shame in settling for second place, Bob." and Bob's all like "wtf, i don't lose Big 12 title games" :mad:

And that game was effing cold too :mad:

Raaaaaaaage. Bad memories of hit job on Jason. :mad:

Why couldn't you stay retired, Old Man Bill :mad:

Mississippi Sooner
5/12/2011, 12:56 PM
I gotta go with Rhoads. Too bad Iowa State is one of those jobs where, if you have any success at all, you will soon be leaving for greener pastures.

badger
5/12/2011, 01:08 PM
I gotta go with Rhoads. Too bad Iowa State is one of those jobs where, if you have any success at all, you will soon be leaving for greener pastures.

Or, in the case of Gene, no success at all :D

JLEW1818
5/12/2011, 01:17 PM

he's won as many conference titles as Snyder has

an undefeated season in the best conference ever.

oudavid1
5/12/2011, 01:19 PM

Yes, but Kansas State was N O T H I N G before he got there. Cant say that about any other good coach in Big 12.

badger
5/12/2011, 01:34 PM
Yes, but Kansas State was N O T H I N G before he got there. Cant say that about any other good coach in Big 12.

Remember how good you all felt after OU won the national title in 2000?

That could have been us again in 2003 had KSU not gotten desperate and put the knee hackin' job on Jason :mad:

Also, our legendary coaches built something that future coaches could have success at themselves and made OU a destination and dream job. Snyder hasn't. In fact, he probably took them several steps back by coming out of retirement. It was like he was acknowledging that nobody else could ever win at KSU besides him. :(

Still not convinced? Maybe I should have put :mack: in the poll :D

bmjlr
5/12/2011, 01:37 PM
Snyder sucks! At least the second time around.

oudavid1
5/12/2011, 01:38 PM

That could have been us again in 2003 had KSU not gotten desperate and put the knee hackin' job on Jason :mad:

Also, our legendary coaches built something that future coaches could have success at themselves and made OU a destination and dream job. Snyder hasn't. In fact, he probably took them several steps back by coming out of retirement. It was like he was acknowledging that nobody else could ever win at KSU besides him. :(

Still not convinced? Maybe I should have put :mack: in the poll :D

Exactly. They were the only team to beat OU in the title game.

tfoolry
5/12/2011, 01:45 PM
Schneider is one of Bob's primary coaching mentors along with Fry & Spurrier, which makes him unarguably the best choice in this poll.

Sooner_Tuf
5/12/2011, 02:16 PM
I'm going to go with Mike Leach. Yes Mike Leach is a Big XII coach until he gets his final check.

Yes Tubs had an undefeated season which would have been impressive if he hadn't had two lower division teams on his schedule. Also I forgot which SEC team won the Title that year?

agoo758
5/12/2011, 03:12 PM
Snyder, not even close. Hell, he has already made the team better his second time around, despite the fact that he is 200 years old.

Okie35
5/12/2011, 03:23 PM
Snyder, not even close. Hell, he has already made the team better his second time around, despite the fact that he is 200 years old.

Yup.

badger
5/12/2011, 03:45 PM
I wish polls gave the option to rank... that would have made this one more interesting.

Maybe I should have asked "Check all coaches that don't suck" and then they'd be ranked based on the percentages of people who said they didn't suck.

I should barter with the mods to redo this since it's already outta hand... hmm...

SoonerofAlabama
5/12/2011, 04:12 PM
I voted for Snyder. Rebuilt a disaster of a team.

Salt City Sooner
5/12/2011, 05:40 PM
I'm going to go with Mike Leach. Yes Mike Leach is a Big XII coach until he gets his final check.

Yes Tubs had an undefeated season which would have been impressive if he hadn't had two lower division teams on his schedule. Also I forgot which SEC team won the Title that year?
Auburn for $500, Alex?

cdlbdd
5/12/2011, 05:50 PM
I wish polls gave the option to rank... that would have made this one more interesting.

Maybe I should have asked "Check all coaches that don't suck" and then they'd be ranked based on the percentages of people who said they didn't suck.

I should barter with the mods to redo this since it's already outta hand... hmm...

I'll offer my rankings.

1) Gary Pinkel
2) Mike Gundy
3) Bo Pelini
4) Bill Snyder
5) Art Briles
6) Mike Sherman
7) Paul Rhodes
8) Tommy Tuberville
9) Jon Embree
10) Turner Gill

TheLadiesMike
5/12/2011, 07:48 PM

He had 1 season. TT has a winning record against Saban and Meyer. Not a lot of people can say that.

BoulderSooner79
5/12/2011, 11:11 PM
I'll be a contrarian and give Pinkel a vote. His team plays for the title in '07 if it were not for a couple of guys name Sam and Curtis. The '07 Mizzou squad was very good. But the teams that Snyder fields from a place like Manhattan is amazing. I really wanted to see them play Tennessee that year they were upset in the CCG by aTm. They would have been a tougher opponent than FSU.

texaspokieokie
5/13/2011, 08:07 AM
Or, in the case of Gene, no success at all :D

your neg campaining forced me to vote for Snyder.

"going for QB's knees" didn't give ksu 35 points.

OUmillenium
5/13/2011, 10:42 AM
I have to go with [hairGel]. In my opinion, he has done an outstanding job at OSU. Where as Snyder did it when OU and Texass were down, Gundy has built a solid program while those two dominate programs are on top.

That is a great point for someone so low on the food chain.;)

OU-HSV
5/13/2011, 02:58 PM

That first pic looks like Snyder said "No shame in settling for second place, Bob." and Bob's all like "wtf, i don't lose Big 12 title games" :mad:

And that game was effing cold too :mad:

Raaaaaaaage. Bad memories of hit job on Jason. :mad:

Why couldn't you stay retired, Old Man Bill :mad:
It was damn cold, and I had a headache from the night before and that headache only got worse as the game went on.

But that said...the Big 12 C.G. in K.C. against the huskers a few years later was colder...and I seem to recall standing on some ice in places there, but for some reason the temperature didn't phase me quite as bad as it did during that game against KState ;)

badger
5/13/2011, 03:30 PM
Everything seems warmer when OU's winning. The 2008 Tech beatdown was pretty cold outside the stadium. Inside when our big huge crowd huddled together and didn't stop yelling or jumping or clapping or whatever, it was quite warm :D

Pricetag
5/13/2011, 03:39 PM
Yep. K-State had me scared ****less both times we played them that year.

Bill Snyder was all kinds of close to not even being on this list.

Sure, Mizzou could have played for all the marbles had they gotten by us in 2007, but they were paper Tigers. That 1998 Wildcats team was bad *** on both sides of the ball, and they were legitimately upset in the Big 12 game that year.

Auburn might have fared better than 55-19, but no way do they beat Bu$h and company in the 2005 Orange Bowl.

Okie35
5/13/2011, 10:57 PM
I'll offer my rankings.

1) Gary Pinkel
2) Mike Gundy
3) Bo Pelini
4) Bill Snyder
5) Art Briles
6) Mike Sherman
7) Paul Rhodes
8) Tommy Tuberville
9) Jon Embree
10) Turner Gill

If it was a "what have you done for me lately" list, I'd basically have your list but Gundy would be 1. If the Pokes were in the North they would've won that division more than Mizzou. Facing us and * every year they never had a chance in hell.

Wayne Jarvis
5/13/2011, 11:24 PM
What Snyder accomplished at K-state was nothing short of a miracle. K-state was not only a losing program, they were DEAD LAST among all teams over the entire history of the NCAA in anything you could possibly measure related to football success.

Switzer talks about attending some function prior to the '88 Orange Bowl and talking to the K-state AD (this was the year before they hired Snyder). The AD elaborated all his plans to elevate the football program, talking about all the high expectations they had about improving facilities, hiring the right coach, becoming competitive, etc. Switzer said he and his associates just nodded politely and then when the guy had left and was out of earshot, they just all cracked up laughing. The notion of K-state football being competitive was completely ridiculous to them.

And it was ridiculous, until Snyder made it happen.

OU-HSV
5/13/2011, 11:39 PM
Everything seems warmer when OU's winning. The 2008 Tech beatdown was pretty cold outside the stadium. Inside when our big huge crowd huddled together and didn't stop yelling or jumping or clapping or whatever, it was quite warm :D

Very true...and I still downed a few ice cold beers while tailgating before both, well now all three of these games we're talking about. But the 08 beat down didn't seem near as cold as either of the K.C. games. (my tech fan buddy and his wife may beg to differ though) ;)

King Crimson
5/14/2011, 02:12 AM
Yep. K-State had me scared ****less both times we played them that year.

that KSU team in 2000 absolutely destroyed Tennessee in their bowl game. that was a legit top 3-4 team any year, physical and aggressive on D. one of Uncle Bill's best 2 teams.

1. Darth Snyder
2. Gundy

the rest.

King Crimson
5/14/2011, 02:12 AM
Tuberville will have Tech as a steady 7 win team. not much more. Pinkel has done a nice job in some ways, but playing good D is a longterm issue. they looked like the real deal against us last year, physical, fast.....but wobbled down the stretch.

soonerfan28
5/14/2011, 10:04 AM
I would have said Bill Snyder before he left but I don't think he's the same coach. I think Mike Gundy.

budbarrybob
5/14/2011, 05:17 PM
Heupel. End of Story.

:gary:

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 05:16 PM
Heupel. End of Story.

:gary:

I like you're thinking.:cool: