PDA

View Full Version : Any outside chance for SMU joining the Big 12 down the road?

agoo758
5/12/2011, 11:13 AM
Think about it. Big city, good market, private school with money, and located right where everyone on this board wants a BCS game. I know that they havn't been all that good since the death penalty, but June Jones seems to have that team headed in the right direction. If they continue to improve and become a top Conference USA team, any chance they could get a big 12 invite? Discuss.

JLEW1818
5/12/2011, 11:19 AM
i vote smu and houston, or tulsa

PLaw
5/12/2011, 11:29 AM
Think about it. Big city, good market, private school with money, and located right where everyone on this board wants a BCS game. I know that they havn't been all that good since the death penalty, but June Jones seems to have that team headed in the right direction. If they continue to improve and become a top Conference USA team, any chance they could get a big 12 invite? Discuss.d

Why?? The Big XII already owns the DFW TV market and recruiting base.

SMU brings nothing to the conference of worth which is more TV sets tuning in.

BOOMER

fwsooner22
5/12/2011, 11:29 AM
** won't allow it. That's their territory and won't share. Big bad bully.

Sooner_Tuf
5/12/2011, 11:38 AM
No chance.

EatLeadCommie
5/12/2011, 02:04 PM
They bring nothing to the conference.

WichitaSooner
5/12/2011, 02:13 PM
If any of the reasons you supplied for SMU to join were valid... we'd already have TCU in our conference....

MeMyself&Me
5/12/2011, 02:46 PM
There will be no more Tejas teams. The entire state is locked up in terms of TV market. IF there is going to be teams added, they WILL be from states that do NOT already have a school in the Big 12.

Why is it so hard for people understand this?

agoo758
5/12/2011, 02:52 PM
They bring nothing to the conference.

If we are looking for teams so that we may go back to divisions and have a championship, they do bring something, and I don't imagine a school like that would be a liability in terms of revenue.

soonercoop1
5/12/2011, 02:57 PM
None...

stoopified
5/12/2011, 03:05 PM
I hope not,I'd rather have TCU.

badger
5/12/2011, 03:15 PM
If we are looking for teams so that we may go back to divisions and have a championship, they do bring something, and I don't imagine a school like that would be a liability in terms of revenue.

I'll take the bait if you're trolling :D

SMU isn't a BCS buster and just going to mid-tier bowls and winning mid-tier conferences is not going to get you into a big-time conference. The only time they've had earth shattering successes is when they were paying players (or Texas A&M was giving a car to a player that then went to SMU but continued driving his A&M car, hehe)

Since they don't bring earth-shattering success to the table, they need to bring a new market or a big fanbase... two things that they don't have. An enrollment of 11,000. A market already controlled by OU (and UT and A&M and probably even some Tech and Baylor mixed in).

I know that every ex-SWC team in Texas wants to join its big brothers in the Big 12. Some texas legislator was trying to bully University of Houston into the Big 12 last year. It's not happening unless one of the existing schools leaves... which also won't happen because the Texas legislators will hold the departing university's funding hostage

agoo758
5/12/2011, 03:19 PM
I'll take the bait if you're trolling :D

SMU isn't a BCS buster and just going to mid-tier bowls and winning mid-tier conferences is not going to get you into a big-time conference. The only time they've had earth shattering successes is when they were paying players (or Texas A&M was giving a car to a player that then went to SMU but continued driving his A&M car, hehe)

Since they don't bring earth-shattering success to the table, they need to bring a new market or a big fanbase... two things that they don't have. An enrollment of 11,000. A market already controlled by OU (and UT and A&M and probably even some Tech and Baylor mixed in).

I know that every ex-SWC team in Texas wants to join its big brothers in the Big 12. Some texas legislator was trying to bully University of Houston into the Big 12 last year. It's not happening unless one of the existing schools leaves... which also won't happen because the Texas legislators will hold the departing university's funding hostage

No trolling here. Legitimate question. :O Thank you for the response.

SoonerofAlabama
5/12/2011, 04:07 PM
This is a team that went 1-11, 8-5, and 7-7 the past three years. Also we don't need another team from the state of Texas.

badger
5/12/2011, 04:16 PM
No trolling here. Legitimate question. :O Thank you for the response.

Sorry. It's just that this question has been asked a lot about teams that really make you think WTF and Smoo definitely makes me think WTF.

Other reoccuring nominees include Colorado State (yes, I know we lost Colorado but did we want or need them anyway? They do NOT control the Denver market!), Tulsa (the smallest enrollment of any D-1, scuze me, FBS, football program. yeaaaaaaaaaaaah), Rice, Houston, TCU or UTEP (because having even more Texas schools in a 10-team conference with four Texas schools already in it would just be dandy!) Arkansas or LSU (they're just chanting S-E-C because they want to get out of it so badly!) or some other oddball school out there.

When you think conference expansion, think big. Smoooo and many other schools in the area that are part of mid-major life right now is NOT thinking big. Notre Dame, BYU, Arizona/Arizona State? Big thinking.

agoo758
5/12/2011, 04:20 PM
. Notre Dame, BYU, Arizona/Arizona State? Big thinking.

But those teams are way out of the way. I was thinking close proximity. I would rather a close small market team with potential as opposed to a big team where you gotta go across the country just to play them.

badger
5/12/2011, 04:23 PM
But those teams are way out of the way. I was thinking close proximity. I would rather a close small market team with potential as opposed to a big team where you gotta go across the country just to play them.

I dunno about you, but I kind of liked traveling to Seattle to see the Sooners hosted by University of Warrrshington.

agoo758
5/12/2011, 04:26 PM
I dunno about you, but I kind of liked traveling to Seattle to see the Sooners hosted by University of Warrrshington.

Tell you what. You buy my plane tickets to road games for life, and I'll concur. :P

silverwheels
5/12/2011, 04:27 PM

Those other teams add new TV markets. SMU does not. TV revenue is what's big right now.

NormanPride
5/12/2011, 04:31 PM
I'm holding out for at least BYU. I think they would be happy at the chance.

SoonerofAlabama
5/12/2011, 04:37 PM
I think they want to be Independent for a few years first though.

Jason Alexander
5/12/2011, 05:58 PM
BYU would be nice, it's also be great if Colorado State, Air Force, or New Mexico were better so they could join.

REDREX
5/12/2011, 06:17 PM
The Big 12 or Big 12 less 2---or whatever the name will be will be gone in 5 years

MeMyself&Me
5/12/2011, 09:22 PM
BYU is a decent option, but if the goal is to get to 12, who's the other one? The problem with that is there is no other realistic option that adds anything except that it allows the big 12 to have a championship game. Oh sure there are other big options, but I don't think they'd come if BYU was part of the new deal too. So if you're looking at BYU, you got to take another team that doesn't add much... actually, just looking for one that takes less than what BYU adds. And that's where you start looking at Colorado State or Air Force. I think New Mexico is an absolute no-go.

In any case, better to look at Notre Dame (game changer) and the Big East (not powerhouses but a lot of big market potential).

I really doubt there's any chance at swiping the Arizona schools.

For those that are hung up on proximity, that's not that important anymore. Just ask South Florida.

SoonerDood
5/12/2011, 10:46 PM
I'd be surprised if any former SWC schools want to rejoin a conference with Texas. They all seem to be doing just fine without them.

Soonerman82
5/12/2011, 10:48 PM
Why not Air Force?

JRAM
5/12/2011, 11:12 PM
SMU, TULSA, TCU, HOUSTON ????? What the ---- are you thinking???? Those type of teams would bring absolutely nothing, zip, zero to the conference. When the conf. expands, look for teams like ND, BYU, ETC. to be considered, not the small schools with no following. Besides, we already have Baylor.

ouwasp
5/13/2011, 12:23 AM
Why not Air Force?

Yeah, I pumped them the other day in a different thread. AFA and BYU... still, that just doesn't ring like Colorado and Nebraska. Sure, Ralphie sux.

Sooner_Tuf
5/13/2011, 01:09 AM
The Big 12 or Big 12 less 2---or whatever the name will be will be gone in 5 years

Not with everyone signing new TV deals. The conference realignment scamper is over for the foreseeable future. The Big XII is doing just fine and now and it will get better when the new contract comes in a couple of years.

The PAC12 just signed a new TV contract. Why would they want to split it up even more ways? Same with the Big 10 and the SEC.

I believe the Big XII would add teams if they could pickup someone like Notre Dame but that is probably not realistic enough to even think about. I would like to see BYU and that might be possible but who else?

Most of the other teams mentioned aren't happening. The Big XII isn't going to add just to add numbers. They are going to have to bring positive income not share in OU and Texas monies.

I suspect if something major were to happen in the Big XII it would be something that none of us are thinking anyway.

I like the idea of adding the two Arizona schools but I think that is a remote possibility also.

Who knows what will happen, time will tell. The only thing guaranteed is that it will be fun.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/13/2011, 02:55 AM
I am shocked that no one has mentioned the babe hotness level out of SMU...

King Barry's Back
5/13/2011, 06:31 AM
There will be no more Tejas teams. The entire state is locked up in terms of TV market. IF there is going to be teams added, they WILL be from states that do NOT already have a school in the Big 12.

Why is it so hard for people understand this?

I'm with you Mr MeMyself. Do you ever feel like you are banging your head on a wall?

MeMyself&Me
5/13/2011, 11:11 AM
I'm with you Mr MeMyself. Do you ever feel like you are banging your head on a wall?

Yup. And I thought this talk was going to stop with the TCU to the Big East move.

PLaw
5/13/2011, 02:27 PM

Expansion isn't about geography - it's about money, plane and simple. BYU and / or Notre Dame fill the criteria. 'Zona and ASU are intriguing. Facts are stubborn things. Nobody is leaving the SEC and nobody else in Tejas makes sense.

Boomer

sojOUrn
5/15/2011, 03:37 PM
Louisville

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 03:44 PM
Maybe eventually Boise State?

SoonerBread
5/15/2011, 03:52 PM
Louisville

supa

SoonerofAlabama
5/15/2011, 05:44 PM
Air Force is a team I would like. I do want a team that has decent success at least, and it would be nice if the team was close to us.

SoonerofAlabama
5/18/2011, 05:27 PM
Thinking about it. Has anyone said Houston? What about them joining?

MeMyself&Me
5/18/2011, 05:32 PM
When did Houston move out of Tejas?

silverwheels
5/18/2011, 05:35 PM
Why would we want Houston in our conference?

SoonerofAlabama
5/18/2011, 05:36 PM
It was on the Big 12 Blog by David Ubben. I just thought that I would throw it out there.

texaspokieokie
5/18/2011, 05:57 PM
Think about it. Big city, good market, private school with money, and located right where everyone on this board wants a BCS game. I know that they havn't been all that good since the death penalty, but June Jones seems to have that team headed in the right direction. If they continue to improve and become a top Conference USA team, any chance they could get a big 12 invite? Discuss.

SMU has itty bitty stadium. kinda nice tho, not very old.
it's just TOO small.

SoonerinSouthlake
5/19/2011, 07:36 PM
SMU has itty bitty stadium. kinda nice tho, not very old.
it's just TOO small.

thats what she said

bam!!!!

BudSooner
5/19/2011, 08:13 PM
I have one problem, and forgive me if it has been mentioned already but two north teams left so if for some ungodly reason another south team joins the conference then what?

OU/OSu joins the north division? That would suck....just send the pokes thank you very much.

GDC
5/19/2011, 09:08 PM
The Big 12 should add UTEP and New Mexico. Or Arkansas and Iowa.

SoonerofAlabama
5/19/2011, 09:28 PM
There are a lot of different combinations out there. Many of them won't happen. Nothing will happen for a few years as far as realignment goes.

goingoneight
5/19/2011, 09:30 PM
I really think they should add Idaho State or Northwest Tennesee A&M State Tech School for the Blind.

That, or we could just take someone from another conference under the terms that we pay them less! That'd be like "Stoops to Baylor!"

Penguin
5/19/2011, 10:47 PM
I thought Notre Dame was going to join the Big 12. I was assured that it was a DONE DEAL.

MeMyself&Me
5/20/2011, 06:53 AM
The Big 12 should add UTEP and New Mexico. Or Arkansas and Iowa.

UTEP and New Mexico would result in the current Big 12 schools making less money because they would take more than they add. Sooo, it would never happen.

Arkansas and Iowa are sitting pretty in their spots in their conferences in terms of finances. They would likely make less money in the Big 12 than where they are now. So they would never join the Big 12 if invited.

You have to think in terms of a team will earn more money by joining the Big 12 AND that joining the Big 12 also make the current members more money.

GDC
5/20/2011, 03:15 PM
UTEP and New Mexico would result in the current Big 12 schools making less money because they would take more than they add. Sooo, it would never happen.

Arkansas and Iowa are sitting pretty in their spots in their conferences in terms of finances. They would likely make less money in the Big 12 than where they are now. So they would never join the Big 12 if invited.

You have to think in terms of a team will earn more money by joining the Big 12 AND that joining the Big 12 also make the current members more money.

The Mexicans are pretty close to reclaiming Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and southern California so we better go with Arkansas and Iowa, and re-admit Nebraska and Colorado, and find a few others to replace all the Texas schools we will lose to la reconquista.

agoo758
5/20/2011, 05:07 PM
Damit people, quit bumping my thread! :mad:........;)

I Am Right
5/20/2011, 06:00 PM
NO!

agoo758
5/20/2011, 06:10 PM
At least I know how Badger feels right now. :P

SoonerofAlabama
5/20/2011, 06:19 PM
Of all the supposed teams out there, which won't come before 2015 and possibly won't come at all, why SMU? TCU, Houston, Louisville, Cincinatti, BYU, Air Force, Arizona, Arizona State, Memphis, Arkansas, LSU, Iowa, or even Houston all are better teams and have more success. Houston, TCU, UTEP, and SMU do not give us a new TV market and (excluding TCU) haven't been very good. Expansion won't happen for another few years because it isn't trying to. It also doesn't have much to offer as far as money goes. It won't happen until something extremely bad happens to one conference that drives them to our conference. What that would be? No idea.

TXBOOMER
5/20/2011, 07:50 PM
Give me Southeastern and East Central.

FirstAndGoalOU
5/20/2011, 08:15 PM
Alex I'll take Memphis and or Louisville.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Hn7hRGL45zE/R0B7f9PvspI/AAAAAAAAAeo/I4XfERRkL_w/s1600-h/alex1.gif

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 11:04 PM
We need a new market. Louisville and Memphis would be new. I think in a few years, the Big XII will bring in some of these smaler schools to have a championship again.