PDA

View Full Version : How the heck did we manage this? Recap of BXII South under Stoops.

MI Sooner
5/12/2011, 08:40 AM
Edit: Don't bother with the mess below. Skip to the third post in the thread for more concise summary.

__________________________________________________ _

The Big XII’s schedule format was to play the five other teams in your division every year, alternating home and away. You’d also play three of the teams in the other division for two consecutive years, home and away. So eight games, four home and four away, unless you have a neutral site game. Of course, OU plays Texas every year in Dallas, so in alternating years, it swaps a road or home game for a neutral site game. What I had never really thought about, but I find pretty remarkable, is that since Stoops came, we won the south every year (even years) with the three home, four road, one neutral schedule. Surprisingly, we were only two for six in the years with the extra home game. All this while we’ve been dominant at home and markedly worse on the road. What’s more, in the three home game years, the years where we were six for six in the South, we only had one home game against South opponents, while playing three times on the road. You’d think this would be a huge disadvantage in winning the division.

You might say that’s because all that mattered was who won OU/TX, since one of those two teams won the division every year, and the loser of the game essentially had to make up two games in the standings (or hope for a three-way-tie;) ). But our record versus Texas was 4-2 in even (three home game years) versus 3-3 in odd (4 home game years), which doesn’t account for the disparity.

XingTheRubicon
5/12/2011, 09:16 AM
wut

?

MI Sooner
5/12/2011, 09:36 AM
We were 6/6 in winning the South in even-numbered years under Stoops. We were 2/6 in odd-numbered years. I just find it remarkable that we did so much better in our division in even-numbered years considering...

1) we had one extra conference road game and two extra division road games in those years, and

2) we have a (deserved) reputation for playing much better at home than on the road.

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/12/2011, 09:37 AM
Not trying to hate but it's awfully hard to read something that has 9 long sentences in one paragraph.

That being said OU kicks ***

agoo758
5/12/2011, 09:47 AM
Made sense to me. Don't know why it was impossible for everyone else to get.

boomersooner28
5/12/2011, 09:48 AM
Edit: Don't bother with the mess below. Skip to the third post in the thread for more concise summary.

The Big XII’s schedule format was to play the five other teams in your division every year, alternating home and away. You’d also play three of the teams in the other division for two consecutive years, home and away. So eight games, four home and four away, unless you have a neutral site game. Of course, OU plays Texas every year in Dallas, so in alternating years, it swaps a road or home game for a neutral site game. What I had never really thought about, but I find pretty remarkable, is that since Stoops came, we won the south every year (even years) with the three home, four road, one neutral schedule. Surprisingly, we were only two for six in the years with the extra home game. All this while we’ve been dominant at home and markedly worse on the road. What’s more, in the three home game years, the years where we were six for six in the South, we only had one home game against South opponents, while playing three times on the road. You’d think this would be a huge disadvantage in winning the division.

You might say that’s because all that mattered was who won OU/TX, since one of those two teams won the division every year, and the loser of the game essentially had to make up two games in the standings (or hope for a three-way-tie;) ). But our record versus Texas was 4-2 in even (three home game years) versus 3-3 in odd (4 home game years), which doesn’t account for the disparity.

I get it MI. :)

Now, go get a job. :D ;)

IndySooner
5/12/2011, 10:17 AM

Learn to use paragraphs. Seriously, I know MI Sooner and this is the type of analysis/crap I have to deal with out of his head on a daily basis via e-mail.

Freaking accountants.

fwsooner22
5/12/2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks MI. That was interesting.

I will never understand why people criticize something that you/we present for free and is a totally optional read? I could care less if it was one paragrah or a hundred as long as I can read it. It was a good read. Thanks.

texaspokieokie
5/12/2011, 10:50 AM
OU only has 5 games in the south.

TIMB0B
5/12/2011, 10:54 AM
It's an odd year this season. :(

Sooner_Tuf
5/12/2011, 12:00 PM

Don't tell the team.

swardboy
5/12/2011, 12:07 PM

I think every year has its oddness.

agoo758
5/12/2011, 03:09 PM
I remember a quote from Little Big League

Announcer: "That's now 10 one run games for the Detroit Tigers: most for any team north of the mason dixon line, whose home games are not played in a dome"

:D

85sooners
5/12/2011, 03:23 PM
:pop:

stoopified
5/12/2011, 03:46 PM
Don't tell the team. :D

SoonerofAlabama
5/12/2011, 04:13 PM
It's just coincidence. Relax.

cvsooner
5/12/2011, 07:42 PM
It's also irrelevant now that the Big 12 has only 10 teams. The whole thing has changed. New start.