PDA

View Full Version : Skandor Akbar anyone?

GDC
5/11/2011, 09:33 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/s/skandorakbar/03.jpg

http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/akabarpage1.html

ouwasp
5/11/2011, 10:17 PM
Heh. I remember this guy... he was one of "The bad guys" in pro wrestling back in the 70's. My Grandpa hated him. :)

lexsooner
5/11/2011, 10:31 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/s/skandorakbar/03.jpg

http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/akabarpage1.html

Yes, I remember him. He was much hated during the oil embargo around 1974. I used to watch pro wrasslin each week, and this guy with a horrible blazer would do the color commentary. That was the era of Cowboy Bill Watts, Danny Hodge, Ernie Ladd, Dr. X, Dusty Rhodes when he was a bad guy, and others.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/11/2011, 10:38 PM
Devastation INC

SanJoaquinSooner
5/12/2011, 12:06 AM
A great read. I saw him and Hodge and Bolo many times at the stockyard coliseum in OKC when I was a kid. He was one hairy mofo.

lexsooner
5/12/2011, 07:12 AM
Many years ago, my brother and his friends went to pro wrasslin at the Fairgrounds in OKC. He said some bad guy was wrestling and this yahoo fan was walking around outside of the ring with one of those old Kodak flat cameras with a little tower flash. He was snapping pictures of the bad guy cheating, and then he was trying to get the attention of the referee. Bubba was jumping up and down, waving at the ref and pointing at his little compact Kodak camera, screaming that he done had the evidence of the bad guy cheating. We never believed anyone thought this stuff was real until this incident.

Romulus
5/12/2011, 07:25 AM
Where's Kamala these days?

jk the sooner fan
5/12/2011, 07:30 AM
is this from when wrestling was real?

Boomer.....
How about The Sheik

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/462/404/TheSheik_display_image.jpg

or The Iron Sheik

http://webs.wofford.edu/mathewsondb/_images/iron%20sheik.jpg

OutlandTrophy
I saw King Kamalamala and the Ice Man T rassle at Myers field house in Chickasha when I was a kid.

Where's Big John Stud these days or the Junkyard Dawg? JYD was my alltime favorite. I did like Jake the Snake Roberts though.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2011, 08:23 AM
Studd and JYD-Dead

Kamala is a truck driver and part time wrestler...wrestled on the same card as Marcus Dupree a month or so back

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2011, 08:24 AM
And if you have twitter, you need to be following the iron sheik

C&CDean
5/12/2011, 08:27 AM
I don't have twitter. Fill me in.

Jammin'
5/12/2011, 08:28 AM
And if you have twitter, you need to be following the iron sheik

thanks. I liked this one in particular:

The Iron Sheik
osama bin laden you are worse than tiger woods, sandra bullock husband and the mel gibson. i smile when i hear you die

SoonerDude
5/12/2011, 08:32 AM
Admiral Ackbar > Skandor Akbar

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2011, 08:35 AM
The Iron Sheik
I throw the osama in the ****ing river, make the shark eat his dick and balls, then i kill hulk hogan **** his *** make him humble.

C&CDean
5/12/2011, 08:36 AM
Dang, those curled up shoes he wore sure makes a guy grumpy.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2011, 08:44 AM
I want to have the tag team match with intelligent jew @JonahHill and me against osama and his whore mother. we kill them after he die.

C&CDean
5/12/2011, 08:45 AM
Didn't he mean Obama?

Jammin'
5/12/2011, 08:51 AM
Dean, show us a picture of your shoes. TIA.

C&CDean
5/12/2011, 08:53 AM
Dean, show us a picture of your shoes. TIA.

I would, but I need a wider angle lense.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2011, 08:54 AM
The Iron Dean

C&CDean
5/12/2011, 08:56 AM
He a bad motha...shut yo mouf.

The Profit
5/12/2011, 09:29 AM
Didn't he mean Obama?

Hey, after his second term is over in 6 years, Obama could go straight into wrestling. He would be dubbed "The Sheik Killer," and for the first time in pro wrestling history, it would almost be correct.

On another note, wasn't Akbar's real last name Webha? I think he had a cousin, who used to be on the radio at KOMA or WKY.

C&CDean
5/12/2011, 09:31 AM
Fantasyland. You live there.

The Profit
5/12/2011, 09:38 AM
Fantasyland. You live there.

Are you referring to the pro wrestling gig or the 2nd term part?

C&CDean
5/12/2011, 09:41 AM
Yes.

The Profit
5/12/2011, 09:42 AM
Yes.

You have to admit that the pro wrestling gig would be fun though. WWE could build one helluva story line behind that.

C&CDean
5/12/2011, 09:44 AM
You have to admit that the pro wrestling gig would be fun though. WWE could build one helluva story line behind that.

Yeah, but Brack the Shek Slayer weighs about a buck fiddy. He'd have to rassle girls or midgets.

The Profit
5/12/2011, 09:45 AM
Yeah, but Brack the Shek Slayer weighs about a buck fiddy. He'd have to rassle girls or midgets.

Hey, you are talking pre-steroid. Give him 6 months under the McMahon family and El Presidente could Barry Bonds himself up 275 or so.

Jammin'
5/12/2011, 09:47 AM
Hey, you are talking pre-steroid. Give him 6 months under the McMahon family and El Presidente could Barry Bonds himself up 275 or so.

He has the frame for it.

C&CDean
5/12/2011, 09:49 AM
He could be "Kool BHO."

The Profit
5/12/2011, 09:51 AM
He has the frame for it.

Exactly. The Pres looks a lot like Bonds, when he was with the Pirates.

Jammin'
5/12/2011, 09:53 AM
Exactly. The Pres looks a lot like Bonds, when he was with the Pirates.

And he likes the media a lot more than Bonds does. This has some legs.

The Profit
5/12/2011, 09:56 AM
And he likes the media a lot more than Bonds does. This has some legs.

It makes perfect sense to me. I'd be his promoter.

Jammin'
5/12/2011, 09:59 AM
It makes perfect sense to me. I'd be his promoter.

You've lost me now. Thaum should promote. It'll take a wizard to pull this off.

The Profit
5/12/2011, 10:01 AM
You've lost me now. Thaum should promote. It'll take a wizard to pull this off.

As painful as it is to admit, I agree. Thaum would be one helluva promoter. "The" could get the job done as well. In fact, I had already thought of "The" as my second.

Boomer.....
5/20/2011, 11:51 AM
Macho Man Randy Savage Dies In Car Accident

Macho Man Randy Savage -- one of the most famous wrestlers of all-time -- died today in a car accident in Tampa, Florida ... TMZ has learned.
http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/20/randy-...stler-florida/

TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 10 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.

Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.

Savage was 58.

Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh."

Sad

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2011, 11:53 AM
I wonder if Lex Luger had something to do with it

Romulus
5/20/2011, 12:02 PM
I wonder if Lex Luger had something to do with it

Harsh
Lugar is the one who should have died

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2011, 12:05 PM
Kevin Sullivan probably used his devil mind power on him like he did Chris Benoit

GDC
5/20/2011, 03:12 PM
Harsh
Lugar is the one who should have died

I thought Luger was dead, but then remembered it was Miss Elizabeth that died, not him.

OULenexaman
5/20/2011, 03:26 PM
my rasslin' days go back to Georgous George....The Assasins...Haystack Calhoun.....Haystack ate a killer breakfast every day.

OUmillenium
5/20/2011, 10:38 PM
This was an email put out by Bill Watts on Skandor Akbar after his death last fall...

Well...as many of you know by now... Scandar Akbar has 'transitioned'...August 19th after battling prostate cancer and heart problems...

Early the morning of the 20th...Ted Dibiase called me...he had heard about it...but could NOT validate it...

I immediately emailed Sandy Nance ...his long-time companion (I did not have her phone number then)...and called his home...but 'no contact...

Then Jim Ross emailed me that it was true....

We lost one of the true 'studs'... one of those 'foundational guys' in our business... who guided and mentored many...

Jim Wehba from Vernon, Texas was his 'given name'... he was an awesome HS fullback there...

I was 'picked' to referee his 'tryout match' in Wichita Falls, TX... for Bob Clay's promotion under the Leroy McGuirk promotional banner...

and knowing Bob's 'character' which in 'my opinion' was 'less than stellar'... they picked me to referee 'in case something happened in that match' that was not 'controllable' by Al Lovelock...The Great Bolo...

But Akbar did NOT try anything to hurt Bolo or to make him look bad... I could tell he was 'already smart to the business'...

But for some reason... Bolo 'sucker-punched Akbar'... and broke his nose... it was the worse nose-break... with the most blood I'd ever seen... soon...no one could retain solid footing in the ring...

There was absolutely NO REASON for that! (And all of you know I was a proponent of 'stretching the marks'... but Bolo 'was NOT streching Akbar'... 'he couldn't'... so 'he sucker-punched him')...

But Akbar wanted 'in the business' so bad... 'he just took it in stride'...

He got in 'this business he loved'...

A couple of years later... I was back for Leroy (years before I became his partner in the promotion)... and working out at the Tulsa YMCA on weights... and Akbar came in the room... I had heard he was strong... so asked him 'how much he bench-pressed'...

He said, "Oh, about 400 lbs"... which to me... (I was benching well over 500 lbs then...and eventually benched 585 lbs in the 'pre-steroid era')... so his 400 lb bench was totally 'unimpressive to me'...

Until I watched him do it: He took the Olympic bar 'from the floor'... as he cleaned it and sat down on the bench... and then rocked to his back... and did his reps...then sat back up and set it back on the floor!!!!

A seemingly impossible feat!

Everyone I have ever seen who is bench-pressing...takes the bar from the rack over the bench...

This was 'awesome'... and I never forgot it...

Akbar and I became friends...and always had huge respect for each other... He also became close friends with another stud... Danny Hodge...

When he and Hodge 'pulled their angle'...where he double-crossed Hodge and became a heel... (in an era where fans still took their wrestling seriously)... that angle worked fantastically!

But Akbar never 'let things go to his head'... and also was extremely 'frugal' on the road... and made sure he always 'saved a portion of what he was paid each night'...

I also believed this philosophy... because when we started... the business had been a bit of a slump... and that was also before the 'huge money' of this era'... so it was important to always 'try to make each event have a 'net' or bottom line profit...and to save that... even if the payoff was for $50, $75, or $100... to somehow still save a portion of it...and NOT blow it on partying... or stupid spending choices... and we found many ways to do this...saving is an attitude...

But Akbar even topped Hodge in being 'frugal'...He was frugal in the Wild Red Berry sense (who is legendary along with maybe Joe Scarpa for being frugal...as in TIGHT!)... I mean he could squeeze blood out of a stone money-wise... ;>)

In the years when I was a promoter... and Akbar worked for me... He was reliable... his word was his bond!

He 'managed several key wrestlers for me over time'... and if I had one who 'was NOT really a veteran'... or who had yet to 'truly understand our business and personal responsibility'... I could put them with Akbar... and allow him to guide and mentor them...

One Man Gang... Kamala...were a couple of the emerging stars I put with him... but he had several more... and his 'anti-American Arabic interviews were so awesome!'

We were once pulling an angle in Jackson, MS...(one of our tremendously successful venues...they love their wrestling)...

and Akbar was to come into the ring and 'burn me with his fire'... as the other wrestlers in the angle held me down...

And they 'had all gotten together'... and decided to 'really get me good'... as I was held down...he took a 'bigger portion' of 'whatever it was he used for his fire'... and as 'he lit me up'... he was laughing and saying, "I'm gonna burn all the hair off your f****** chest"... and 'he torched me then'...

when 'the others let me go' (and I think then... Hacksaw Jim Dugan may have been one)... I decided to chase his *** and try to kick it right then... but Akbar...had that 'fullback speed'... and I had been a 'defensive tackle'... and I could NOT catch him as he ran out the back door of that Coliseum...

Oh...the memories... as those fabulous and unique guys are transitioning... so much is 'passing'... we are losing too many... all that's left here on earth is the memories... and as the people with them grow old and pass...they fade like so much smoke into the vastness...

But with tears... when one close goes... we...one more time... raise a salute to them... and remember things we may not have thought of for awhile...

He was a 'true Univ. of Texas football fan'... so he, Murdock and Rhodes... always had stuff to say about OU... my alma mater (also Hodge's alma mater-- and also that of Steve Dr. Death Williams)... and the 'biggest rivalry game' which even today so often is a major factor in deciding the Big Twelve Champion...or even who plays for the NCAA Championship...

Of course 'he took young Jim Ross under his arm'... as did Hodge... and others ...in the 'tradition of the business'.. to teach and mentor those newbies... especially those in which they sensed a deep love and commitment to the business...

He also became a credible 'booker'... he just loved this business...

We are losing so many of our peers... I remember it seems like just yesterday when Akbar called me when Gary Hart died... and we both shared our hearts... as Akbar had just been 'back east with Gary for a fanfest there'... and related how the spoke of their memories and association with me there...

And when Jack Brisco passed... we talked...

Of course too...when Waldo von Erich passed... and when the Missing Link passed...we talked... so too often our phone calls were about those we lost... but in those calls they also were remembered... and we also laughed about some of the stories...those we 'don't share with outsiders'... but were so intricate to those of us in this business...

And let me tell you...when someone you worked with over those wonderful years still carries respect and understanding and memories of those associations... and lets you know... that means so damn much!

Sandy sent me this email: A Memorial Service at Our Lady Queen of Peace
Church. 4040 York Street; Wichita Falls, Tx.
Tuesday 24th at 10:00 am.
Then he will be Cremated.

May God rest his soul... my dear friend... you have touched many lives....

Bill Watts...

hawaii 5-0
5/21/2011, 02:23 AM
Akbar was just one of the characters he played. He was American.

5-0

Trump/ bin Drinkin'

Jacie
5/21/2011, 11:07 AM
my rasslin' days go back to Georgous George....The Assasins...Haystack Calhoun.....Haystack ate a killer breakfast every day.

Yeah, me too. Every Friday night with Danny "watch out for flying chairs" Williams and Leroy McGurk.

TitoMorelli
5/21/2011, 10:43 PM
Hey, after his second term is over in 6 years, Obama could go straight into wrestling. He would be dubbed "The Sheik Killer," and for the first time in pro wrestling history, it would almost be correct.

On another note, wasn't Akbar's real last name Webha? I think he had a cousin, who used to be on the radio at KOMA or WKY.

Great info, Profit. I googled and you're right, he was cousin of popular old KOMA DJ Dale Wehba. I had no idea that "Akbar" was from Vernon TX, or that Wehba was related to him.

Any of you remember another Hodge nemesis named Crazy Chuck Karbo?