PDA

View Full Version : Scottish and Scotch Ale

delhalew
5/11/2011, 12:13 PM
Two different catagories, the Scottish Ale ranging from lite to export is classified based on the amount of taxation in Shillings during the 19th century, 60 Shilling to 160 Shilling.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/68

Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy.

Full body, high abv, carmelized, sometimes smoky...always bad assed.
Names like Dirty Bastard and Skullsplitter tell the tale.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/77

AlboSooner
5/11/2011, 12:28 PM
yup. I agree.

Fraggle145
5/11/2011, 12:33 PM
Two different catagories, the Scottish Ale ranging from lite to export is classified based on the amount of taxation in Shillings during the 19th century, 60 Shilling to 160 Shilling.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/68

Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy.

Full body, high abv, carmelized, sometimes smoky...always bad assed.
Names like Dirty Bastard and Skullsplitter tell the tale.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/77

This is because the hangover after you drink them is a ****ing skullsplitter.

delhalew
5/11/2011, 12:40 PM
This is because the hangover after you drink them is a ****ing skullsplitter.

*****:D. Seriously, in my experience, a well done Wee Heavy is very low on the fusel alcohol, the most widely accepted cause of hangovers.

mgsooner
5/11/2011, 12:52 PM
McEwan's knocked me on my arse once.

Fraggle145
5/11/2011, 12:55 PM
*****:D. Seriously, in my experience, a well done Wee Heavy is very low on the fusel alcohol, the most widely accepted cause of hangovers.

I think the problem is that most of them arent well done! I just remember the worst hangovers of my life came from wee heavy. My roommate at the biostation had home brewed a lot of it so we drank it all summer and it killed us the next day, every time.

delhalew
5/11/2011, 12:55 PM

That it will, Laddy.

delhalew
5/11/2011, 01:01 PM
I think the problem is that most of them arent well done! I just remember the worst hangovers of my life came from wee heavy. My roommate at the biostation had home brewed a lot of it so we drank it all summer and it killed us the next day, every time.

First, a Wee Heavy is not the best drink for an Oklahoma summer.

Most importantly, when we homebrewers attempt such a big beer, the learning curve is steep, and the fermentation temp must be managed perfectly to avoid fusel alcohols.

delhalew
5/11/2011, 02:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/delhalew/images-4.jpg

NormanPride
5/11/2011, 02:44 PM
What temp does it need to have to prevent the fusels?

delhalew
5/11/2011, 02:48 PM
What temp does it need to have to prevent the fusels?

I haven't brewed one yet, but I know they ferment on the low end to keep it clean. It would be 64 or 65 degrees Fahrenheit constant.

OhU1
5/11/2011, 03:07 PM
when we homebrewers attempt such a big beer, the learning curve is steep, and the fermentation temp must be managed perfectly to avoid fusel alcohols.

You got it, managing the fermentation temp can be a task in Oklahoma from May through September too. :gary:

I love Scotch Ale but it is not easy to find. McEwans has apparently disappeared. Belhaven is too steeply priced. There are not many domestic craft brewers of Scotch Ale being sold here. :(

delhalew
5/11/2011, 03:07 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/delhalew/images-1-2.jpg
There can be only one.

delhalew
5/11/2011, 03:10 PM
You got it, managing the fermentation temp can be a task in Oklahoma from May through September too. :gary:

I love Scotch Ale but it is not easy to find. McEwans has apparently disappeared. Belhaven is too steeply priced. There are not many domestic craft brewers of Scotch Ale being sold here. :(

It's no McEwans, but this is not bad. It's smoky, but I'll bet it will mellow with age.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/delhalew/images-3-2.jpg

delhalew
5/11/2011, 07:05 PM
Top ten Scottish Ales(not Wee Heavy) in 2010
http://www.beerinfo.com/index.php/pages/bestscotchales.html

C&CDean
5/11/2011, 07:11 PM
Beer geeks are a funny lot. "what temperature?" It's ****ing beer. Cold.

I'm being a little gay tonight getting primed for the Thunder game. I'm washing my Irish down with a Lindeman's Peche. It's gay, but it's alright.

StoopTroup
5/11/2011, 07:12 PM
This isn't Scottish but it will get you near Scotland....lol

Pick up a 4 pack. Checkout the little prize inside the can once it's empty.

http://unitedpackageliquors.com/catalog/images/Murphys%20Stout%204pk%20Cans%20WEB.jpg

delhalew
5/11/2011, 07:14 PM
This isn't Scottish but it will get you near Scotland....lol

Pick up a 4 pack. Checkout the little prize inside the can once it's empty.

http://unitedpackageliquors.com/catalog/images/Murphys%20Stout%204pk%20Cans%20WEB.jpg

My love for Stout is well documented. So...you buying?

delhalew
5/11/2011, 07:18 PM

I'm being a little gay tonight getting primed for the Thunder game. I'm washing my Irish down with a Lindeman's Peche. It's gay, but it's alright.

You can play dumb all you want, but I know better. You know what the **** you are drinking, and you know what you like. Also, Belgians were yesterday arsehole...pay tension.

C&CDean
5/11/2011, 07:21 PM
You can play dumb all you want, but I know better. You know what the **** you are drinking, and you know what you like. Also, Belgians were yesterday arsehole...pay tension.

I'm old school, yo. Ireland, Belgium, and a little German/England. Scotch beer is like Scotch whisky. Not worth messing with.

Actually, I'll drink pretty much anything. I just chuckle at beer geeks. I work with a bunch of them and they think they're inventing the wheel or something. It's beer dudes. Yes, some is a lot better/heavier/lighter/sweeter/peatier/hoppier/bitter than others but at the end of the day, it's beeeeeeeer. Hell, JM is a beer geek. Look how gay he is.

delhalew
5/11/2011, 07:28 PM
I'm old school, yo. Ireland, Belgium, and a little German/England. Scotch beer is like Scotch whisky. Not worth messing with.

Actually, I'll drink pretty much anything. I just chuckle at beer geeks. I work with a bunch of them and they think they're inventing the wheel or something. It's beer dudes. Yes, some is a lot better/heavier/lighter/sweeter/peatier/hoppier/bitter than others but at the end of the day, it's beeeeeeeer. Hell, JM is a beer geek. Look how gay he is.

JM just found something else to be a snob about.

Beer is not just beer, my friend. Get your hands in the grain and you're ruined forever.

I almost did a whiskey thread today. I am disturbed by these Goobers that think a Canadian can make better whiskey than a Mick. Jameson FTW.

Harry Beanbag
5/13/2011, 06:32 PM
Speaking of Big Sky Brewery in the other thread, saw this at the grocery store today. I'll have to go back and pick some up this weekend.

http://www.bigskybrew.com/uploads/images/HHsales_web.gif

delhalew
5/13/2011, 06:40 PM
Speaking of Big Sky Brewery in the other thread, saw this at the grocery store today. I'll have to go back and pick some up this weekend.

At only 6.7abv. that will be prety easy drinking. I like that they left out the peat smoked malt. Americans decided that belonged. The Scottish leave the smoke for their whisky.

Report back if you don't mind.

OhU1
5/14/2011, 02:10 PM
I picked up the Sam Adams Wee Heavy this afternoon. Still wish I could score some McEwans.

delhalew
5/14/2011, 03:09 PM
I picked up the Sam Adams Wee Heavy this afternoon. Still wish I could score some McEwans.

You and I both.

mgsooner
5/14/2011, 03:12 PM
They not have the McEwan's somewhere near y'all? I know they have it at Ranch Acres in Tulsa, or at least they used to. That was one of the saddest things for me about moving from Midtown to South Tulsa, moving away from Ranch Acres. Not sure what that says about me, lol

OhU1
5/14/2011, 03:16 PM
They not have the McEwan's somewhere near y'all? I know they have it at Ranch Acres in Tulsa, or at least they used to.

The guy from India at the store in Norman said they haven't been distributed in some time. If McEwans is distributed anywhere in Oklahoma I'd like to know.

delhalew
5/14/2011, 03:18 PM
When I want something I can't get in town...which is most things, I go to a store on Cache rd in Lawton. Soon I will need advice on the best stores in the Norman/OKC area as I will be up there in a week or two. I need to make a list.

mgsooner
5/14/2011, 03:20 PM
The guy from India at the store in Norman said they haven't been distributed in some time. If McEwans is distributed anywhere in Oklahoma I'd like to know.

Next time I've over on that side of town I'll stop in at Ranch Acres and see if they still have it. I bought some there about 2-3 years ago.

They just opened a massive Parkhill Liquor store at 101st & Memorial but I haven't been in there yet. I need to visit and see what kind of selection they've got.

OhU1
5/14/2011, 03:34 PM
When I want something I can't get in town...which is most things, I go to a store on Cache rd in Lawton.

I've spent literally over $10,000 in that store over the last 9 years. Unfortunately the prices are sky high in that store anymore so I'll usually only pick up the beers "on sale." Even small stores in Norman have the same beers at $2 -$ 3 a six pack cheaper than J.P. Richard's huge store.

If you didn't know - J.P. Richard is the owner of the Cache Road store. He's the President of the Oklahoma Retail Liquor Store lobby. He's the guy who puts out the propaganda that allowing grocery stores to sell "high point" beer is bad for the consumer. Right :rolleyes: Retail competition is bad! :texan: This coming from a guy who overcharges by several dollars a six pack at his huge store. I believe there is a "gentleman's agreement" among the few liquor stores in Lawton to keep the prices so high.

delhalew
5/14/2011, 04:10 PM
I've spent literally over $10,000 in that store over the last 9 years. Unfortunately the prices are sky high in that store anymore so I'll usually only pick up the beers "on sale." Even small stores in Norman have the same beers at $2 -$ 3 a six pack cheaper than J.P. Richard's huge store.

If you didn't know - J.P. Richard is the owner of the Cache Road store. He's the President of the Oklahoma Retail Liquor Store lobby. He's the guy who puts out the propaganda that allowing grocery stores to sell "high point" beer is bad for the consumer. Right :rolleyes: Retail competition is bad! :texan: This coming from a guy who overcharges by several dollars a six pack at his huge store. I believe there is a "gentleman's agreement" among the few liquor stores in Lawton to keep the prices so high.

****. Smoker.

mgsooner
5/27/2011, 05:04 PM
I am saddened to report that the liquor store in Tulsa that I previously purchased McEwan's from no longer carries it. :(

delhalew
5/27/2011, 05:06 PM
I am saddened to report that the liquor store in Tulsa that I previously purchased McEwan's from no longer carries it. :(

Tragic.

mgsooner
5/27/2011, 05:08 PM
I wish they'd notify me when these things happen so I could purchase the rest of their stock

delhalew
5/27/2011, 06:00 PM
I wish they'd notify me when these things happen so I could purchase the rest of their stock

Have you ever tried a special order? In case they just quit stocking...which seems unlikely. Maybe I'm in denial.

MeMyself&Me
5/27/2011, 07:19 PM
First time seeing this thread so several things struck me...

First, a Wee Heavy is not the best drink for an Oklahoma summer.

Most importantly, when we homebrewers attempt such a big beer, the learning curve is steep, and the fermentation temp must be managed perfectly to avoid fusel alcohols.

I think these people that complaining about hangovers is because they are drinking too much of a STRONG beer.

I haven't brewed one yet, but I know they ferment on the low end to keep it clean. It would be 64 or 65 degrees Fahrenheit constant.

I'd ferment even cooler than that. Probably about 60 degrees.

The temperatures being discussed here are fermenting temperatures... not serving temps. Fermenting temps have a drastic effect on a beer.

At only 6.7abv. that will be prety easy drinking. I like that they left out the peat smoked malt. Americans decided that belonged. The Scottish leave the smoke for their whisky.

Report back if you don't mind.

The Scotts do use peated malt in their whiskey's but they don't actually do that in their beers. Many of their beers do have a feint smokey character but it's actually a phenol produced by the unique yeast they use when fermenting at cool temperatures. American brewers that try to imitate the Scottish styles will sometimes use peated malt to imitate that flavor, either due to ignorance, or due to the fact they can't use the correct yeast, or due to the fact they can't ferment at the proper temperature.

As for my favorite beer from Scottland... McEwan's. It's been years since I bought it though. May have to go out and get some. Too bad you can't get it in OK now. :P

delhalew
5/27/2011, 07:31 PM
First time seeing this thread so several things struck me...

I think these people that complaining about hangovers is because they are drinking too much of a STRONG beer.

I'd ferment even cooler than that. Probably about 60 degrees.

The temperatures being discussed here are fermenting temperatures... not serving temps. Fermenting temps have a drastic effect on a beer.

The Scotts do use peated malt in their whiskey's but they don't actually do that in their beers. Many of their beers do have a feint smokey character but it's actually a phenol produced by the unique yeast they use when fermenting at cool temperatures. American brewers that try to imitate the Scottish styles will sometimes use peated malt to imitate that flavor, either due to ignorance, or due to the fact they can't use the correct yeast, or due to the fact they can't ferment at the proper temperature.

As for my favorite beer from Scottland... McEwan's. It's been years since I bought it though. May have to go out and get some. Too bad you can't get it in OK now. :P
For starters, I'm glad the information I've gathered is valid.

Also, unless you plan on smuggling that sweet stuff up here to your brothers in beer, you best be watching your tongue.:D

mgsooner
5/27/2011, 07:42 PM
Have you ever tried a special order? In case they just quit stocking...which seems unlikely. Maybe I'm in denial.

Not sure, ill ask them next time

MeMyself&Me
5/27/2011, 09:09 PM
Also, unless you plan on smuggling that sweet stuff up here to your brothers in beer, you best be watching your tongue.:D

Hmmm.... I might be persuaded to do just that. I plan on bringing my kids to their first OU game this year. I might bring some of my own We Heavy but it's more like a Scottish barleywine... I like to 'go big'. :D

delhalew
5/27/2011, 09:44 PM
Hmmm.... I might be persuaded to do just that. I plan on bringing my kids to their first OU game this year. I might bring some of my own We Heavy but it's more like a Scottish barleywine... I like to 'go big'. :D

You may want to wait till it cools down some to bring that stuff. Those first few games, the heat is brutal.

MeMyself&Me
5/27/2011, 10:05 PM
You may want to wait till it cools down some to bring that stuff. Those first few games, the heat is brutal.

I've done plenty of OU games and know how it goes... just been a while. Met my wife just after the Syracuse game complete with lobster style sunburn. I'm thinking of doing the aTm game and making a weekend of it with the RV. Should be cool by then.

Mongo
5/27/2011, 10:06 PM
If it's not Scottish, it is crap

delhalew
5/27/2011, 10:09 PM
If it's not Scottish, it is crap

:D

yankee
5/28/2011, 02:19 AM
I am at durnkytown. How did I get here? Who gave me a ride?

GDC
5/28/2011, 02:33 AM
Mexican, not Scottish, but I picked up a couple twelve packs today.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofate/victoria%20beer.jpg

King Crimson
5/28/2011, 10:20 AM
McEwen's is right good. along with the Scotch Ale, here in the states you can get an "Export Ale" with a red label, which is not as good.

Belhaven's Best in the Co2 cans is very good (not as good as in Scotland, though).

http://www.scottish-wedding-dreams.com/images/BelhavenBest-Belhaven.png

we've got a local "craft brewer" in CO (Lyons, CO to be exact) that makes "Old Chub" which calls itself Scottish Ale.....it's OK to pretty good, it's strong. kind of over-sweet caramel taste i don't like. comes in cans (now very trendy). i have a buddy that drinks it exclusively. but he's not to be trusted in matters of "taste". i want to like it but i prefer some of the local ESB's or IPA's much better and are nearly always on sale. but, it's a worth a shot....there are certainly worse beers.

quick google shows the reiteration of my "sweet" claim.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/14712

i've had skull splitter. comes in a 9 oz bottle. the logo used to be a lot more macho and less cartoonish.

http://www.wineworldsc.com/images/skullsplitter-orkney225x225.jpg

MeMyself&Me
5/28/2011, 03:01 PM
I like Old Chub but I like McEwan's and Belhaven better.

King Crimson
5/28/2011, 04:48 PM
I like Old Chub but I like McEwan's and Belhaven better.

there ya go.

while so many others are ga-ga for the Oskar Blues lineup, i never liked Dale's Pale Ale so much. i've been drinking CO micros (now "craft") for almost 20 years....i don't think Old Chub is all that. a lot taste, a lot of alcohol, but sugary sweet too. better beers have gone out of business because the market wasn't there. among the Boulder area breweries....i prefer Avery and Upslope. O'Dells has quietly been great for 15+ years in Longmont. in general, the best CO beers don't come from Boulder. Boulder Beer CO sucks. i think New Belgium's best days were gone 10 years ago (Ft Collins)....but, they the "heavy".

if you are ever in Boulder, anyone, the Mountain Sun and Southern Sub (nice place for anyone over 25) Beer Pubs have legit on-site beer. and the food is good.

Harry Beanbag
5/28/2011, 06:19 PM

This was all gone when I went back two days later. Went to Bevmo today and they didn't have it either. I guess they weren't kidding about "limited release".

delhalew
5/28/2011, 06:46 PM
This was all gone when I went back two days later. Went to Bevmo today and they didn't have it either. I guess they weren't kidding about "limited release".

You never told us how you liked it. I guess it was good if you went back for more.

Harry Beanbag
5/28/2011, 06:48 PM
You never told us how you liked it. I guess it was good if you went back for more.

I never got any of it, that's why I went back.

delhalew
5/28/2011, 06:50 PM
I never got any of it, that's why I went back.

Ahhh. Bummer.

delhalew
7/9/2011, 01:49 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/4072657496_f5bab9d6c8.jpg
Having one of these from the tap. VERY nice.