PDA

View Full Version : My daughter got accepted to OU-What Sororities?

SoCal
5/11/2011, 11:21 AM
My daughter got accepted to OU and wants to rush can you help me with what sororities are good or ones to stay away from? Being from SoCal she's not in the know...thanks in advance.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/11/2011, 11:24 AM
Phi Zappa Crappa.

dynersooner
5/11/2011, 11:24 AM
Theta, Pi Phi, Kappa, Chi-O, Tri Delt

YWIA

yankee
5/11/2011, 11:25 AM
Rush Tri Delt. :)
Or Theta. :)
Or Kappa. :)
Or DG. :)
Or Chi O. :)
Or Pi Phi. :)

YWIA. :)

yankee
5/11/2011, 11:26 AM

YWIA

Great minds think alike! :D

OUMallen
5/11/2011, 11:31 AM
Let her do her own thing and get in where she fits in. The girls' rush process is pretty intense, but it generally yields good results.

The thing is- she has no idea what she wants right now, even if she thinks she does.

That being said, you can feel good about her getting into 80% of the houses. They'll all provide fun and support. Only a handful suck.

Fraggle145
5/11/2011, 11:39 AM
Let her do her own thing and get in where she fits in. The girls' rush process is pretty intense, but it generally yields good results.

The thing is- she has no idea what she wants right now, even if she thinks she does.

That being said, you can feel good about her getting into 80% of the houses. They'll all provide fun and support. Only a handful suck.

In a good way. /rimshot

Fraggle145
5/11/2011, 11:42 AM

YWIA

Yep those are generally considered the top 5, followed by DG, Gamma Phi, Alpha Chi. I dont know much about AOPi or Alpha Phi. AGD is well its AGD.

AlboSooner
5/11/2011, 11:57 AM
never seen an ugly tri delt

crawfish
5/11/2011, 11:59 AM
Gamma Delta Iota. :)

Jacie
5/11/2011, 12:11 PM
Back in the day they ranked as follows.

Pi Beta Phi
Kappa Kappa Gamma

Middle - Upper
Delta Delta Delta
Chi Omega

Middle - Lower
Alpha Chi Omego
Delta Gamma
Alpha Phi
Gamma Phi Beta

Bottom
Alpha Gamma Delta
Kappa Delta

Those are the ones I remember. Of course, as college-age guys, our rankings were based on the relative hotness of the membership of each house, taken as a group. FWIW, a ranking of the frats by the girls would probably have put my house in the bottom tier . . .

Here is something a little more recent:

http://www.greekrank.com/university.php?do=316&type=sororities&uni=73

Tulsa_Fireman
5/11/2011, 12:11 PM
Omega Mu.

But they have strict acceptance standards.

Midtowner
5/11/2011, 12:29 PM
She'll get in where she gets in. Rush, 'specially for the top houses can be pretty competitive. I'd recommend she check out her metro area's NPC alumnae group (should be able to find it on the interwebs) and get the forms for letters of recommendation. She'll probably need those for the top houses. And it's probably never too early for her to contact the school's greek life office for help.

okie52
5/11/2011, 12:50 PM

Pi Beta Phi
Kappa Kappa Gamma

Middle - Upper
Delta Delta Delta
Chi Omega

Middle - Lower
Alpha Chi Omego
Delta Gamma
Alpha Phi
Gamma Phi Beta

Bottom
Alpha Gamma Delta
Kappa Delta

Those are the ones I remember. Of course, as college-age guys, our rankings were based on the relative hotness of the membership of each house, taken as a group. FWIW, a ranking of the frats by the girls would probably have put my house in the bottom tier . . .

I'm sure a few Kappa Alpha Theta's would be disappointed with those rankings.

SoCaliSooner
5/11/2011, 01:11 PM
My daughter got accepted to OU and wants to rush can you help me with what sororities are good or ones to stay away from? Being from SoCal she's not in the know...thanks in advance.

I would like to meet you so you and/or her may buy me drinks.

The Profit
5/11/2011, 01:14 PM
I just remember...."Chi O, Chi O, its off to bed they go, most say yes, but a few say no, Chi O, Chi O..."

Fraggle145
5/11/2011, 01:18 PM
Jamma Vi Brata - Gamma Phi

Alphai Chi, Almost a Chi O

Nothing goes down like an anchor - DG

yankee
5/11/2011, 01:24 PM

On another note...my sister is a senior in high school and she will be rushing a sorority at OU. I know she's had to do like resume stuff and get recommendation letters. Sounds absurd, but you and your daughter may want to look into that. I bet they have info on the panhellenic OU site.

SoonerAtKU
5/11/2011, 01:36 PM
When I was at school, one of the frats had a room that overlooked the Theta's bathroom windows. Food for thought if she's Thinking Theta (tm)

OUMallen
5/11/2011, 02:32 PM
AGD = Alpha Grabba Donut

Sertiously, get her resume' in order and all, but do NOT start pumping her up for any specific houses this summer. You will save a LOT heartache later. There will be tons of chicanery, superficiality, and judgment she'll have to navigate on her own without having gotten her hopes up for a house that she knows NOTHING about...seen it a hunnerd times.

TUSooner
5/11/2011, 02:38 PM
The fact that there are so many serious answers on this thread is a sad testimony to the decline of this board.

Jacie
5/11/2011, 02:48 PM
I'm sure a few Kappa Alpha Theta's would be disappointed with those rankings.

My bad. After 35+ years there I forgot one, maybe because I never dated anyone from the Theta house. They were ranked in the Top tier in the early 70's.

yankee
5/11/2011, 02:58 PM
The fact that there are so many serious answers on this thread is a sad testimony to the decline of this board.

You must be a gay.

Howzit
5/11/2011, 03:00 PM
There will be tons of chicanery, superficiality, and judgment

So, in other words, just another day in greekdom?

No ****.

Sorry Doc.

:D

BetterSoonerThanLater
5/11/2011, 03:03 PM
Tri delt...everyone else has :)

SoonerAtKU
5/11/2011, 03:09 PM
If your girlfriend won't, Try Delt.

meoveryouxinfinity
5/11/2011, 03:10 PM

Pi Beta Phi
Kappa Kappa Gamma

Middle - Upper
Delta Delta Delta
Chi Omega

Middle - Lower
Alpha Chi Omego
Delta Gamma
Alpha Phi
Gamma Phi Beta

Bottom
Alpha Gamma Delta
Kappa Delta

DONT let his daughter see that site. SUCH bull.
Panhellenic statement: all sororities are great! your daughter will end up in the house meant for her!
Reality statement: Rush is like the sorting hat at Hogwarts. Everyone wants to be a Gryffindor; Nobody wants to be Ravenclaw. She needs come to terms with the fact that she might not get into a "top" house (she will be able to tell which houses are the "top" ones from day 1 or 2 of rush). She needs to decide now how important being greek/sisterhood is to her.
Rush is VERY VERY VERY competitive at OU. A lot of girls go through and there are only 11 houses. Also, a majority of the girls come from North Texas.
She should prepare herself for not enjoying rush. I know I didn't. I was a double legacy Kappa and they cut me. My mom cried for days. I know girls who were in house legacies who got cut. She will probably leave rushing feeling as if all of the girls in other houses are superficial and fake. I know I did. BUT if she sticks with it, it will get a lot better.
Sorry to sound like such a downer.
I am greek at OU, I would tell her to email me but we are not allowed to talk to girls going through rush (unless we know them, etc).

The Profit
5/11/2011, 03:33 PM
Panhellenic statement: all sororities are great! your daughter will end up in the house meant for her!
Reality statement: Rush is like the sorting hat at Hogwarts. Everyone wants to be a Gryffindor; Nobody wants to be Ravenclaw. She needs come to terms with the fact that she might not get into a "top" house (she will be able to tell which houses are the "top" ones from day 1 or 2 of rush). She needs to decide now how important being greek/sisterhood is to her.
Rush is VERY VERY VERY competitive at OU. A lot of girls go through and there are only 11 houses. Also, a majority of the girls come from North Texas.
She should prepare herself for not enjoying rush. I know I didn't. I was a double legacy Kappa and they cut me. My mom cried for days. I know girls who were in house legacies who got cut. She will probably leave rushing feeling as if all of the girls in other houses are superficial and fake. I know I did. BUT if she sticks with it, it will get a lot better.
I am greek at OU, I would tell her to email me but we are not allowed to talk to girls going through rush (unless we know them, etc).

I absolutely enjoyed the Harry Potter analogy, but then again, I like just about everything Harry Potter. You gave some very reasoned advice.

starclassic tama
5/11/2011, 03:35 PM
i never really noticed much of a difference in any of them. they all wear the same clothes, talk the same, act the same... i'm sure there are some differences in there somewhere though

OUMallen
5/11/2011, 04:02 PM
i never really noticed much of a difference in any of them. they all wear the same clothes, talk the same, act the same... i'm sure there are some differences in there somewhere though

Standard non-greek thought process.

Mississippi Sooner
5/11/2011, 04:07 PM
Anyone know why it had to be a Greek system? Why not Roman or Mesopotamian or Egyptian? Is it a buttsecks thing?

C&CDean
5/11/2011, 04:08 PM
Standard non-greek thought process.

Not really. I would say the standard non-greek thought process is:

"What kind of a loser needs to join a sorority or fraternity? Maybe they're insecure, have trouble meeting/talking to folks, or are weak-minded, don't have any real friends, and succumb to peer pressure to join one."

Or something like that.

soonerbrat
5/11/2011, 04:09 PM

Dean is SO gonna spek you.

C&CDean
5/11/2011, 04:10 PM
Dean is SO gonna spek you.

I didn't even read it cause she didn't use paragraphs, but yeah, I'm gonna spek her now.

OutlandTrophy
5/11/2011, 04:13 PM

"What kind of a loser needs to join a sorority or fraternity? Maybe they're insecure, have trouble meeting/talking to folks, or are weak-minded, don't have any real friends, and succumb to peer pressure to join one."

Or something like that.

are you talking about greeks or messageboard admins?
;)

soonerbrat
5/11/2011, 04:14 PM
I didn't even read it cause she didn't use paragraphs, but yeah, I'm gonna spek her now.

see? ;)

C&CDean
5/11/2011, 04:16 PM
are you talking about greeks or messageboard admins?
;)

I've met you. You're not greek. You might like a little pooper action, but you definitely ain't greek. I'd guess pollack/slovak/lithuanian/transylvanian, but not greek.

MR2-Sooner86
5/11/2011, 04:19 PM
Tri Sig, everybody else has.

proud gonzo
5/11/2011, 04:30 PM
It bothers me a little bit that your daughter was accepted to OU and your question is what sororities she should rush. Way to have your priorities in place. I'm sure there aren't ANY other questions one might need to know about their daughter's college. Nope, most important thing: which skanks should my daughter hang out with?

awesome.

soonermix
5/11/2011, 04:41 PM

Or something like that.

hey i paid well for my friends and by god i'm keeping them

meoveryouxinfinity
5/11/2011, 04:48 PM
hey i paid well for my friends and by god i'm keeping them

Some people say that being in a suh-rawr-ity means that you have to pay for your friends but I always tell those people that if that wa true then like 200 girls are also paying to be my friend...

Haha
be3JM-fg4uE

Aldebaran
5/11/2011, 04:52 PM
Some people say that being in a suh-rawr-ity means that you have to pay for your friends but I always tell those people that if that wa true then like 200 girls are also paying to be my friend...

What do they get for the $$$?

MsProudSooner
5/11/2011, 05:12 PM
Based on my experience and two daughter's experience:

1) Have her get as many recs as she can. Check with family friends to see if any of them were members of sororities and could write recs for her.
2) Tell her not to come to rush with her heart set on one particular sorority.
3) When I was in school, some sororities had their top 2 bid lists set before rush even started. If she's not likely to be on one of those lists, tell her not to worry about it.
4) For every girl going through rush, there are probably at least 4 or 5 houses where she could be happy.
5) See #2
6) See #4

GKeeper316
5/11/2011, 05:17 PM
I just remember...."Chi O, Chi O, its off to bed they go, most say yes, but a few say no, Chi O, Chi O..."

no no no

its:

Chi-O, Chi-O, its off to bed we go, i paid my buck i want my ****, Chi-O, Chi-O

Fraggle145
5/11/2011, 05:25 PM
It bothers me a little bit that your daughter was accepted to OU and your question is what sororities she should rush. Way to have your priorities in place. I'm sure there aren't ANY other questions one might need to know about their daughter's college. Nope, most important thing: which skanks should my daughter hang out with?

awesome.

Why do you hate greeks? :D :confused:

Also there is some pretty sound research that is starting to show that a positive social atmosphere with a lot of acceptance is good for most other aspects of your life. Sororities and fraternities for the most part fit that bill.

The Profit
5/11/2011, 05:35 PM
no no no

its:

Chi-O, Chi-O, its off to bed we go, i paid my buck i want my ****, Chi-O, Chi-O

Uh oh, meoveryoueternity is not going to like that.

meoveryouxinfinity
5/11/2011, 05:36 PM
Uh oh, meoveryoueternity is not going to like that.

I don't like the degradation of great female organizations by stupid, overused sayings.

The Profit
5/11/2011, 05:38 PM
I don't like the degradation of great female organizations by stupid, overused sayings.

Yeah right. My wife, a University of Kentucky ZTA (zits, tits and armpits) taught me that little song. She had a song for every sorority, except hers of course.

badger
5/11/2011, 05:43 PM
She should prepare herself for not enjoying rush.

I've known people who rushed for various sororities and didn't make it and it was heartbreaking. I never went through that, but I heard it's basically a lot of running in dress clothes and painful shoes with frat boys sitting on their front steps enjoying the view :rolleyes:

If your daughter gets cold feet and bails on the crazy rushness, or ends up getting cut during the process, or gets chosen for a house she doesn't want to join, remind her that she can always rush in spring semester. That one's less insane than fall, if I've heard correctly.

I think this is one of the reasons why greeks have to stay in student housing their froshie year... that and Boren wants their room and board money.

Again, I didn't go through that craziness, but I think many had great experiences with the process along with those that suffered heartbreak... and that can happen with the non-social sororities too, unfortunately.

So... yeah. As a backup plan, get your daughter excited about football. Get on the froshie lotto for student tickets as soon as possible.

meoveryouxinfinity
5/11/2011, 05:47 PM
Yeah right. My wife, a University of Kentucky ZTA (zits, tits and armpits) taught me that little song. She had a song for every sorority, except hers of course.

If it makes you happy

meoveryouxinfinity
5/11/2011, 05:51 PM
I've known people who rushed for various sororities and didn't make it and it was heartbreaking. I never went through that, but I heard it's basically a lot of running in dress clothes and painful shoes with frat boys sitting on their front steps enjoying the view :rolleyes:

If your daughter gets cold feet and bails on the crazy rushness, or ends up getting cut during the process, or gets chosen for a house she doesn't want to join, remind her that she can always rush in spring semester. That one's less insane than fall, if I've heard correctly.

I think this is one of the reasons why greeks have to stay in student housing their froshie year... that and Boren wants their room and board money.

Again, I didn't go through that craziness, but I think many had great experiences with the process along with those that suffered heartbreak... and that can happen with the non-social sororities too, unfortunately.

So... yeah. As a backup plan, get your daughter excited about football. Get on the froshie lotto for student tickets as soon as possible.

I would suggest fall rush--you meet a lot more people and only about 3 or 4 sororities do spring rush. Although, it is more relaxed and by that point she will probably have friends in some of those houses.

Staying involved is absolutely necessary during your fall freshman semester at OU. So many girls drop rush, hate living in the dorms, and end up transferring after one semester. OU has a lot of opportunities but going greek is probably the easiest way to get involved.

badger
5/11/2011, 05:54 PM
Sooo... do you still remember smiling so much that your mouth hurts and hating those stupid words to your house's "Rushie" song? :P

meoveryouxinfinity
5/11/2011, 06:01 PM
Sooo... do you still remember smiling so much that your mouth hurts and hating those stupid words to your house's "Rushie" song? :P
well, i'm a senior, so i get to experience it one last time this fall!
and to make it worse, i'm skits music director so i get to be at all skit practices! yayyy!! In all seriousness, I love [most of] my sisters and even though it's painful, I do cherish my times in college.

Rush is pretty bad on the rusher side, but I definitely thought it was worse on the rushee side... mostly because you feel so insecure. You do a lot more work as a rusher though.

sooner59
5/11/2011, 06:30 PM
Jamma Vi Brata - Gamma Phi

Alphai Chi, Almost a Chi O

Nothing goes down like an anchor - DG

My fiance was a DG. Oh, and I concur. :hot: :hot: :hot:

:D

jkjsooner
5/11/2011, 07:13 PM

YWIA

Tri Delt - hot
Chi-O - hot little petite girls

Anyway, pick the letters that look good on her butt. (Do they still do that or was that an early '90s thing.)

Disclaimer: I mean the other girls should pick the letters that look good on their butts. I wouldn't say that about your daughter.

sooner59
5/11/2011, 08:35 PM
While I was in undergrad, Pi Phi was probably the hottest sorority top to bottom. And I'm not even sure if I meant for the pun or not.

C&CDean
5/11/2011, 08:40 PM
Look at all you fags talking about sororities. "Phi ki mi dyke has the hottest little spinners but they're all homo..."

You remind me of people who say "x-state has the hottest women." Do you know how stupid that is? Female units come out of female unit p-chis - all of which have been spermed upon by some goober dude. Anyone who says "Cali chicks or Florida chicks or Georgia chicks are hotter" is a ****ing goob. Sure, there's hot girls there, but they have about 400 times the chance of being hot per capita. There's just as many hot chicks in Cedar Rapids, Iowa as there is in Ft. Lauderdale - PER CAPITA.

Sheez, guys are ****ing idiots.

sooner59
5/11/2011, 08:56 PM
Nuh uh! Florida chicks man.....Florida chicks. :D

proud gonzo
5/11/2011, 10:12 PM
Look at all you fags talking about sororities. "Phi ki mi dyke has the hottest little spinners but they're all homo..."

You remind me of people who say "x-state has the hottest women." Do you know how stupid that is? Female units come out of female unit p-chis - all of which have been spermed upon by some goober dude. Anyone who says "Cali chicks or Florida chicks or Georgia chicks are hotter" is a ****ing goob. Sure, there's hot girls there, but they have about 400 times the chance of being hot per capita. There's just as many hot chicks in Cedar Rapids, Iowa as there is in Ft. Lauderdale - PER CAPITA.

unless you're talking about Brasil. There really are more hot chicks there per capita.

sooner59
5/11/2011, 10:27 PM
HOT CHICKS! :hot:

http://www.deaneanderson.com/wp-content/uploads/baby-chicks.jpg

C&CDean
5/11/2011, 10:46 PM
unless you're talking about Brasil. There really are more hot chicks there per capita.

Yeah, but they're sweaty and have sand all imbedded in their coochie coo.

yankee
5/11/2011, 11:19 PM
If you don't like talking about hot chicks, then you're either gay or old.

yankee
5/11/2011, 11:21 PM

Except cities don't recruit chicks based on their looks. Sororities due, as shallow as it may be. So your argument is invalid sir.

yankee
5/11/2011, 11:24 PM

awesome.

GDI. :D

Fraggle145
5/11/2011, 11:41 PM
HOT CHICKS! :hot:

http://www.deaneanderson.com/wp-content/uploads/baby-chicks.jpg

Those look like room temperature chicks. :mad:

TheHumanAlphabet
5/11/2011, 11:55 PM
Rush Tri Delt. :)
Or Theta. :)
Or Kappa. :)
Or DG. :)
Or Chi O. :)
Or Pi Phi. :)

YWIA. :)

Someone post their REAL names... ;)

SoonerAtKU
5/12/2011, 09:14 AM

Yeah, but New Mexico has the ugliest women, on average. That's not even up for debate, is it?

The Profit
5/12/2011, 09:21 AM

I feel just a little smarter now.