PDA

View Full Version : Will OU let or have the QB...

Dan Thompson
5/11/2011, 10:00 AM
change the play without stopping play to look at the sideline this year?

If OU is going to increase the number of plays it runs, this seems to me to
be one way to do it.

JLEW1818
5/11/2011, 10:01 AM
i always thought they were looking at my tv?

bmjlr
5/11/2011, 10:20 AM
i always thought they were looking at my tv?

:D Thought they were questioning whether I really needed another beer. Of course I always send in the signal stating "YES!"

SoonerNomad
5/11/2011, 10:57 AM
Should be able to do things quicker with a veteran QB. It will depend on how much trust Coach Heupel has in Landry.

We'll probably never have the versatility that we had with Gresham and Murray in 2008, but finding a RB that can line up in the slot or a TE that can effectively split out without having to change personnel will enable more plays to be called and completed.

MeMyself&Me
5/11/2011, 11:26 AM
The way the offense is run now, there is no reason for the QB to change the play at the line of scrimmage. They go no-huddle, in part, to force the defense to line up so that the coaches can make the playcall from the sideline/press box based on the defensive alignment/personnel. The times where OU lined up and the QB stared at the sideline for a long time last year is the equivalent of when it takes too long to the get the play in to the huddle for other teams. It happens.

rekamrettuB
5/11/2011, 11:29 AM
The way the offense is run now, there is no reason for the QB to change the play at the line of scrimmage. They go no-huddle, in part, to force the defense to line up so that the coaches can make the playcall from the sideline/press box based on the defensive alignment/personnel. The times where OU lined up and the QB stared at the sideline for a long time last year is the equivalent of when it takes too long to the get the play in to the huddle for other teams. It happens.

'Bout the way I understand it. As long as they have a play ready to run when and if the defense subs is all I ask for. I don't care if they stand 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage in a group some folks call a huddle or at the line of scrimmage and call a play. It's all the same but one has an advantage over the other...I choose that one.

Look at it this way; when a QB changes the play at the line he has a limited number of plays to call. When an OC changes/calls the play, he has the entire playbook.

SoonerofAlabama
5/11/2011, 03:28 PM
Do we really need to go faster this year? I guess more speed would be good to offset the defense even more though.

stoopified
5/11/2011, 05:11 PM
change the play without stopping play to look at the sideline this year?

If OU is going to increase the number of plays it runs, this seems to me to
be one way to do it.We run more plays than any team in football,why do we need to increase the number of plays.

budbarrybob
5/11/2011, 05:27 PM
I think the offense is still evolving, but I don't think that with the hurry up O that the QB will be calling many (if any plays).

SoonerOX
5/11/2011, 05:39 PM
Should be able to do things quicker with a veteran QB. It will depend on how much trust Coach Heupel has in Landry.

We'll probably never have the versatility that we had with Gresham and Murray in 2008, but finding a RB that can line up in the slot or a TE that can effectively split out without having to change personnel will enable more plays to be called and completed.

I think brennan clay had a ton of receiving yards in HS, so he might be an option for RB that can line up in the slot. As for TE....Hanna has the ability to split out. my two cents.

Doged
5/12/2011, 07:58 AM
We run more plays than any team in football,why do we need to increase the number of plays.

Because any play on offense is a chance to score points, so more opportunities should equal more points.

JRAM
5/12/2011, 11:18 PM
THEY LOOK TO THE SIDELINES TO FIND OUT IF THE UPSTAIRS COACHES SEE SOMETHING WITH THE DEFENSE THE REQUIRES THEM TO RUN ANOTHER PLAY. I DON'T THINK THEY GIVE A DAMN WHETHER OR NOT THEY RUN A RECORD NUMBER OF PLAYS. What a dumb statement , wanting the QB to call the play when he has enough on his plate already.

ashley
5/14/2011, 09:00 AM

correct

Al Gore
5/14/2011, 09:12 AM
So now, after the play, they look at the sideline and get the play while walking up to the line of scrimmage?

If that is correct, you would need a couple of plays ready depending on the outcome of the previous play.

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 07:04 AM
I still say there is no need to change it, although quicker is better, because this is not a concern for us next year. We did average around 90 plays a game.