PDA

View Full Version : Mangino breaks his silence.....

Salt City Sooner
5/10/2011, 04:29 PM
http://www.ncnewsmedia.com/archive/2011/05May/Mangino_Monday/Index.htm

SoonerPr8r
5/10/2011, 04:37 PM
Okay good. I thought this was going to be a fart joke

SoonerPr8r
5/10/2011, 04:40 PM
it seems i spoke too soon......................

Whet
5/10/2011, 05:24 PM
Assistant Coach at OU? That would have been interesting.

badger
5/10/2011, 05:32 PM
I looked at all of the photos, video clips and the article.

The photos are a waste of time and I wish they didn't have the videos and articles split into so many pages, but I guess they have to milk their traffic numbers up a little somehow.

One of the final video clips gave a hint of where he'll end up next, or rather, where he won't end up, either for an assistant or head coaching job --- not another place like Kansas. While they seemed willing to plunk some dollars down for stadium improvements and for taking the Orange Bowl bid, it was still second fiddle to basketball.

The article seemed to suggest that he could have landed at either OU or NU as an assistant, but I just don't see that at OU, because the Jay/Josh setup seems to be working pretty well.

Like some had pointed out in the Mangino sightings at Red/White and OU practices, Mangino confirmed that he's been losing weight. Very good news for his health and I'm happy for him.

I absolutely love the story about how he and his wife wouldn't answer the door for pesky reporters after the KU ouster, but that his doggie did. I think my dogs would do the same.

He also addressed the infamous youtube clip (NSFW, I forgot how much F-word was in it):
zmAYpAzNB34

He said that it was never supposed to happen, that KU's sports info department went nuts and that there's a reason there's usually no mic'd coach clips in the college game broadcasting later on Sportscenter. No audio allowed in the coaches box area on the sideline.

But really, I loved the clip, and the player afterward said that he understood Mangino's message, that he didn't score the touchdown alone and shouldn't have acted like he did. I think a lot of others loved the clip now.

So, glad Mangino's doing well and while I don't see any reason to hate on Turner Gill as of yet, the fact that we can now easily beat KU sits very well with me :)

SoonerofAlabama
5/10/2011, 05:45 PM
What places would fit for Mangino?

Memtig14
5/10/2011, 06:21 PM

Someplace Large!

northspeter
5/10/2011, 06:26 PM

indiana...

agoo758
5/10/2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the post.

Chiliman
5/10/2011, 06:45 PM
The Fat Man can flat out coach 'em up.

sendbaht
5/10/2011, 06:52 PM
I remember when he was at OU the kids liked him and would say that he was tons of fun.

goingoneight
5/10/2011, 07:44 PM
It's hard to describe what Mangino is as a coach. Is he good? Yeah. Is he an ace OC? 2001 sez no. But look at 2000 at OU and 2007 and 2008 at KU. Was that more Heupel and Reesing? Maybe... but what happened to Reesing in 2009? Something went sour in Lawrence, and to me it seems like the big, bad coach who told players to do things they didn't wanna do got ganged up on. Sorta like Big, bad Mike Leach. Texas Tech should've been THRILLED to have Mike Leach as their HC. But one wish-washy story from a whiny scout-teamer with a famous father and all of a sudden he's the bad guy.
We'll never know how bad things really were... but it does seem pretty obvious that Leach, Mangino and Leavitt knew how to coach and win football games. KU, Texas Tech and South Florida are NOTHING to write home about. Somehow, these guys made it happen there. But because they're big, bad meanies who make their prima donna players actually work for what they earn. Stoops and a couple of other successful coaches have found that happy medium between being a winner and being a good CEO. That's rare, and another reason to be glad we have him, no matter what we feel woulda-coulda-shoulda happened in game so-and-so or how much we're paying him. None of these guys want to lose. If you're in the coaching business, you're a competitor. But you're also a businessman.

As an OC, Mangino conducted a throw-first offense that looks VERY successful when your depth chart is loaded. It wasn't just oh-so inventive or creative and it never appeared at either OU or KU that he emphasized being an aggressive, physical football team as far as running the ball goes. Nor did Leach, and he managed to do just fine. Pick your poison, really. It's hard to win a championship without a once-in-a-lifetime group of players like we had in 2000 doing that, though. The normal recipe for success offensively is balance.

Take these games for example...

2008 OU/TX (oh, run game... where are youuuuu?)
2009 OU/Florida (when you need a yard, you should get a yard on four tries... plain and simple)
2009 OU/Nebraska (any freshman QB's probably gonna melt down given the way we were whipped up front in that game)
2010 OU/aTm (criticize the playcalling all you want, but we weren't tough enough when the going got tough and a manageable game ended ugly)

Even with a few defensive meltdowns mixed in, OU was out-hustled and out-muscled in the trenches in those games.

In short, without a bunch of lucky breaks and a brain surgeon of a QB under center... everybody would be screaming for Mangino's job way louder than they have Chuck Long, BV or Kevin Wilson's.

SoonerMarkVA
5/10/2011, 08:04 PM
I like Mangino. What he did at KU is second only in the miracle department to what Snyder did at KSU. I would have been very pleased to have him back at OU. He and Heup made a heck of a team in 2000, and I think they could have done amazing things in 2011 and beyond. I wish him nothing but the best.

Salt City Sooner
5/10/2011, 09:14 PM
I looked at all of the photos, video clips and the article.

The photos are a waste of time and I wish they didn't have the videos and articles split into so many pages, but I guess they have to milk their traffic numbers up a little somehow.

One of the final video clips gave a hint of where he'll end up next, or rather, where he won't end up, either for an assistant or head coaching job --- not another place like Kansas. While they seemed willing to plunk some dollars down for stadium improvements and for taking the Orange Bowl bid, it was still second fiddle to basketball.

The article seemed to suggest that he could have landed at either OU or NU as an assistant, but I just don't see that at OU, because the Jay/Josh setup seems to be working pretty well.

Like some had pointed out in the Mangino sightings at Red/White and OU practices, Mangino confirmed that he's been losing weight. Very good news for his health and I'm happy for him.

I absolutely love the story about how he and his wife wouldn't answer the door for pesky reporters after the KU ouster, but that his doggie did. I think my dogs would do the same.

He also addressed the infamous youtube clip (NSFW, I forgot how much F-word was in it):
zmAYpAzNB34

He said that it was never supposed to happen, that KU's sports info department went nuts and that there's a reason there's usually no mic'd coach clips in the college game broadcasting later on Sportscenter. No audio allowed in the coaches box area on the sideline.

But really, I loved the clip, and the player afterward said that he understood Mangino's message, that he didn't score the touchdown alone and shouldn't have acted like he did. I think a lot of others loved the clip now.

So, glad Mangino's doing well and while I don't see any reason to hate on Turner Gill as of yet, the fact that we can now easily beat KU sits very well with me :)
Don't forget that they split up the OL duties this year. He could've taken Kittle's spot.

texaspokieokie
5/11/2011, 06:51 AM
I like Mangino. What he did at KU is second only in the miracle department to what Snyder did at KSU. I would have been very pleased to have him back at OU. He and Heup made a heck of a team in 2000, and I think they could have done amazing things in 2011 and beyond. I wish him nothing but the best.

you can't compare what Snyder did @ ksu to any situation @ ku. (Snyder the 1st time.)
I too, like Mangino.

5noubus
5/11/2011, 08:49 AM
Those taunting or unsportsman like calls that will now be so much more severe are so frustrating because they are not called on a consistent basis. Was it blackmon that high stepped sideways all the way into the endzone CLEARLY taunting and never got called. Please correct me if I'm wrong. (never have to worry about that here:)
I'll search for a clip of it
I'm sure coaches have their hands full to try to
Coach players to shut down all that emotion and not celebrate a great run

Found clip don't know how to do this on my phone but here goes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfz-mG0myM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sappstuf
5/11/2011, 08:51 AM
I remember when he was at OU the kids liked him and would say that he was tons of fun.

Kids gravitate to a coach like that.

cdlbdd
5/11/2011, 09:03 AM
Kids gravitate to a coach like that.

very well played

Aldebaran
5/11/2011, 09:06 AM
http://www.myfaceschool.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dollar-signs.jpg

JLEW1818
5/11/2011, 09:21 AM
no copycat thread??? this title is gold

somebody do it now.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/11/2011, 09:29 AM
The obligatory...

Mangino breaks his leg..and gravy pours out

JLEW1818
5/11/2011, 09:37 AM
any taco pronto lately?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/11/2011, 03:45 PM
yesterday...Sancho

tfoolry
5/11/2011, 04:11 PM
Taco Mayo

PLaw
5/11/2011, 08:53 PM
Justice -

1) KU never has another winning season on the grid iron. They've proven they are a lowly b-ball only school.

2) Mangino fills the void at KSU when Snyder steps down and he beats KU every year.

Boomer

Sooner_Tuf
5/11/2011, 09:56 PM
I have nothing but respect for Mark Mangino. I don't really know the man but I met him a number of times while he was in Norman. I probably talked to him for a couple of hours in total.

He's very intelligent. College football could use more coaches like him. He cares about his players not just his team. I lost most of the respect I had for KU they way they did him.

I would love for him to be on staff at OU or maybe even see him be Head Coach at Tulsa. He could really raise the bar in Stillwater but they don't deserve him.