PDA

View Full Version : So how good will Tulsa be this year?

JLEW1818
5/10/2011, 12:40 PM
we do open the season against them.

They won their last 7 games.

They will be better than some Big12 teams.

Mississippi Sooner
5/10/2011, 12:46 PM
Does their mascot's head still look like a Bugle?

Sooner74
5/10/2011, 12:48 PM
I don't know. I'll let you know cause i'll be a spy at their university soon.

JLEW1818
5/10/2011, 12:49 PM
any chance google can do a fly over?

Sooner74
5/10/2011, 12:57 PM
any chance google can do a fly over?

I'll be manning a google blimp. There is no way they will spot me.

northspeter
5/10/2011, 01:18 PM
better than they were last year... probly not as good of a record... tougher schedule... mostly new staff... new defense and a new offense... id be surprised if we didnt win by 30...

Soonerson1975
5/10/2011, 01:22 PM
Seems like every year Tulsa is suppose to be pretty good they have a sub par year.

85sooners
5/10/2011, 01:26 PM
hurricane will be a 500 team

badger
5/10/2011, 01:34 PM
So how good will Tulsa be this year?

If judged in terms of wins and not how good the team is, not well. They arguably have the toughest non-conference stretch in the country... and if you start the season crappy, then the rest might also suck just because of discouraged players and coaches.

Not trying to give Todd Graham undue credit, but the coaching change will also undoubtedly effect the team.

Does their mascot's head still look like a Bugle?

No. Here's the new one that was intro'd a few years ago:
http://latenightdebates.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/tulsa-captain-cane.jpg

Seems like every year Tulsa is suppose to be pretty good they have a sub par year.

Not really. During the Todd Graham era, they had 10, 11, 5, and 10-win seasons. Krag had 9, 4, 9 and 8-win seasons. Since joining C-USA in 2007, they have only had one losing season. They've won bowls 3 of the last 4 seasons (excluding the 5-win season, no bowl eligibility). Not too shabby.

SoonerPride
5/10/2011, 01:54 PM
Not good enough.

rekamrettuB
5/10/2011, 01:54 PM
Move over horsepigs...you've been outdone by an instate school.

usaosooner
5/10/2011, 01:55 PM
Good enough that people will posting "Fire Everyone" threads after the first game when we only beat them by 14-17

I don't like their coaching hire though

oudavid1
5/10/2011, 02:05 PM
They just lost their head coach and QB. Im betting on OU. Big.

usaosooner
5/10/2011, 02:06 PM

Kinne is still there

rekamrettuB
5/10/2011, 02:08 PM

They did? What happened to him?

badger
5/10/2011, 02:09 PM

Slow down david. After Utah State and that season where Tulsa was leading OU by like two or three touchdowns early-on (I know we ended up winning, but it was not a fun game to be surrounded by fairweather sooners during), might be a good game to hold your money.

SoonerofAlabama
5/10/2011, 03:39 PM
I don't want to underestimate the second-best team in Oklahoma, but they do have a new head coach. They do have a senior quarterback that should do well, but I think they will be 8-4 going into the bowl season.

JLEW1818
5/10/2011, 04:04 PM
:D

SoonerPr8r
5/10/2011, 04:32 PM
The best thing is that they are not from Utah. The last two openers have been horrible. I am not going to say anything about this until closer to the game.

oudavid1
5/10/2011, 08:55 PM
Kinne is still there

They did? What happened to him?

Oh whooooops, I'm thinking of another guy.

How is GJ still there?

OUstud
5/10/2011, 09:37 PM
The last time we faced an ex-HS coach in the opener, we won by 69.

northspeter
5/10/2011, 09:41 PM
The last time we faced an ex-HS coach in the opener, we won by 69.

blankenship has been a college assistant for 4 years and personally recruited 2/3 of the current tu roster... not quite the same as dodge...

toast
5/10/2011, 09:48 PM
Anyone expecting Tulsa to be anything but solid under Blankenship is gravely mistaken. Like an earlier poster stated their opening part of the schedule is brutal, but don't doubt they will be well coached and in the right places.

goingoneight
5/10/2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah, but UNT was attrocious long before Dodge made it worse.

Still, Norman sez uh-uh to TU. Even when we were beat down with injuries, we drilled Kinne and Co. in 2009.

I like the matchup. It's better than opening against someone you just EXPECT to beat by 50 points. Lemme offer a prediction:

1st Qtr:
Landry is flawless... but it's easy to be flawless when all you have to do is throw bubble screens to Ryan Broyles to move right down the field for two scores right off the bat.
TU tries to be cute on offense and gives us a defensive score.
2nd Qtr:
Roy Finch pops off a big TD run to wake the crowd up.
Ronnell Lewis pops the kick returner right between the numbers and the Sooners recover the ball. Landry stays perfect on the first play after the turnover with a play-action touchdown pass to James Hanna.
Desperate for points, down 35 points... Kinne throws a touchdown pass... to Demontre Hurst.

Halftime: talking heads talk about OU should be #1.

3rd Qtr:
Sooners execute a surprise (time-consuming), methodical drive 71 yards down the field on the heels of a power-running game that introduces the nation to the Finch-Williams 1-2 punch.

Tulsa moves the ball a bit past midfield, then turns it over on downs.

Looking for one last hoo-rah, Landry drops back deep on a play-action call and hits Dejuan Miller for a deep 56-yard touchdown in perfect stride.

Stoops sez "alright, alright... take your helmet off Landry. You're cool for the night."

4th Qtr:
Up 56-0, OU blocks a punt through the endzone for a safety and Ryan Broyles takes the punt return to the house. 65-0.

OU runs out 10 minutes of clock to be nice. :D

goingoneight
5/10/2011, 10:01 PM
Post-game Preview:

SF.com has a "Fire [insert name here]" thread for jokesies, that some n00bs take way too seriously.

SoonerofAlabama
5/10/2011, 10:13 PM
I hope you are right. I like the estimate. It would be nice to see our defense start the season off with a shutout.

Chiliman
5/10/2011, 10:40 PM
Their defense will suck again.

rekamrettuB
5/11/2011, 08:51 AM
Oh whooooops, I'm thinking of another guy.

How is GJ still there?

Redshirt frosh year at Texas 2007. Frosh 2008, soph 2009, jr 2010.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/11/2011, 09:19 AM
Move over horsepigs...you've been outdone by an instate school.

I'd take that over those horsepigs anyday! I hate those damn things...

Mad Dog Madsen
5/11/2011, 09:25 AM
8-4 season for TU. They have a tough schedule. Notable games are @OU, vs. O-State, and @Boise St. I'm thinking they'll probably give one away @UCF or @UTEP.

OUmillenium
5/11/2011, 09:38 AM
Post-game Preview:

SF.com has a "Fire [insert name here]" thread for jokesies, that some n00bs take way too seriously.

Only 2 choices...
1. Vulnerables
2. Special Teams Coach - he's invisible so might be hard to deliver the pink slip

NormanPride
5/11/2011, 10:07 AM
Hopefully, we will run the ball a lot, and be successful with it.

JLEW1818
5/11/2011, 10:12 AM
ditto.

I hope we can establish a solid run game. nothing worse than getting the run shut down, and having to throw from behind to start the season.

soonersam
5/11/2011, 10:21 AM
High school coach equals 3 wins

crawfish
5/11/2011, 10:36 AM
They got one great new recruit, but since he's in the school of engineering and not playing football the young crawfish will probably not make much of a difference.

Interestingly, I don't feel divided over who I want to win. :)

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 11:38 PM
They have GJ Kinne, but they lack a good defense and will probably give up a lot of points. I don't want to underestimate them though.

bixby28
5/28/2011, 11:46 PM

Still, Norman sez uh-uh to TU. Even when we were beat down with injuries, we drilled Kinne and Co. in 2009.

I like the matchup. It's better than opening against someone you just EXPECT to beat by 50 points. Lemme offer a prediction:

1st Qtr:
Landry is flawless... but it's easy to be flawless when all you have to do is throw bubble screens to Ryan Broyles to move right down the field for two scores right off the bat.
2nd Qtr:
Ronnell Lewis pops the kick returner right between the numbers and the Sooners recover the ball. Landry stays perfect on the first play after the turnover with a play-action touchdown pass to James Hanna.
Desperate for points, down 35 points... Kinne throws a touchdown pass... to Demontre Hurst.

3rd Qtr:
Sooners execute a surprise (time-consuming), methodical drive 71 yards down the field on the heels of a power-running game that introduces the nation to the Finch-Williams 1-2 punch.

Looking for one last hoo-rah, Landry drops back deep on a play-action call and hits Dejuan Miller for a deep 56-yard touchdown in perfect stride.

Stoops sez "alright, alright... take your helmet off Landry. You're cool for the night."

4th Qtr:
Up 56-0, OU blocks a punt through the endzone for a safety and Ryan Broyles takes the punt return to the house. 65-0.

Nice.

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 01:23 PM

1st Qtr:
2nd Qtr:

3rd Qtr:

4th Qtr:

I would like to see more detail. How many picks will our D have? :)