PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that every division in college football has a playoff except 1-A?

d.stOUgh
5/10/2011, 01:33 AM
Yeah...

I'm 60 years old with congestive heart failure, dementia settleing in, however, I don't understand why there is a national championship game (playoff) for every sport except division 1-A football?

Someone please explain...

gaylordfan1
5/10/2011, 01:46 AM
Just because. Enough said......

oudavid1
5/10/2011, 02:04 AM
Money.

colinreturn
5/10/2011, 02:18 AM
http://dobrochan.ru/src/jpg/1101/Oh-boy-Here-we-go%5B1%5D.jpg

ashley
5/10/2011, 05:43 AM
Who wants a playoff? I see no need.

SoonerofAlabama
5/10/2011, 06:50 AM
Too many people don't want one, BCS and NCAA don't want the change or the expenses, and for some reason schools like playing these things even when they lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in the process.

CrimsonRez
5/10/2011, 06:54 AM
I think every other sport should conform to 1-A college football...screw playoffs NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB alike.

Sooner_Tuf
5/10/2011, 07:09 AM
Yeah...

I'm 60 years old with congestive heart failure, dementia settleing in, however, I don't understand why there is a national championship game (playoff) for every sport except division 1-A football?

There is simply not enough interest or money available for the other to support a Bowl System. It's not complicated.

texaspokieokie
5/10/2011, 07:12 AM
Gosh, another thread on "play-offs".

how long has it been.

need to get some of the "heavy-posters" in here to see if record (in futility)
can be broken.

SoonerAtKU
5/10/2011, 11:48 AM
There is one, it's just a smaller field than the other sports/divisions.

JRAM
5/10/2011, 11:52 AM
We have a playoff. The regular season is the playoff and the championship game is for the marbles. That is the best way to determine a national champion. The regular season is important and every game meaningful as it should be. With a playoff, every game would not have great significance. LEEP IT LIKE IT IS AND FORGET A DAMN FOOTBALL PLAYOFF FOR D-1.

SoonerPride
5/10/2011, 12:47 PM
Because I don't want one.
If I change my mind I'll let you know.

Caboose
5/10/2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah...

1-A does have a playoff. It has only 1 round and the field is limited to 2 teams. As soon as you can come up with a valid reason to expand the field please feel free to start a thread about it.

goingoneight
5/10/2011, 01:17 PM
all this talk about how the BCS is a good system is funny. i bet a LOT of them will change their minds when Oregon and Alabama make it to the championship game over OU, who boasts the same record.
hell, why even play the damn BCSMNC anyway? i mean, we should just vote for it like we do for the matchup in the first place. or better yet, have 'em duke it out on playstation!

85sooners
5/10/2011, 01:25 PM
:eek: playoffs are gay

ashley
5/10/2011, 01:48 PM
We have a playoff. The regular season is the playoff and the championship game is for the marbles. That is the best way to determine a national champion. The regular season is important and every game meaningful as it should be. With a playoff, every game would not have great significance. LEEP IT LIKE IT IS AND FORGET A DAMN FOOTBALL PLAYOFF FOR D-1.

well said

Jacie
5/10/2011, 04:12 PM
What we have is a very private club (aka the bowl games), not accountable to anyone, that has a stake in preserving the status quo. The bowls make a lot of money under the current setup and won't easily give it up. To maintain things as they are, they make a big deal of how much the game participants make (miniscule in relation to what the bowls themselves will clear after expenses), and will wine and dine college AD's to ingratiate them. This is not unlike the situation regarding television revenues for college football games before Oklahoma and Georgia went to bat for all of D-1 and blew the system apart, breaking the NCAA's monopoly on deciding who got to what and so on. It will take that kind of action and the risk of retaliation that will surely follow to wrest control of the BCS away from the money grubbers to create a true and equal opportunity playoff in college football's most competitive division.

Don't hold your breath.

Sooner_Tuf
5/10/2011, 05:35 PM
You know what else those people that make a lot of money putting on Bowl Games do? They pay for it and have paid for it for 100 years. I suppose creating something and sustaining it for so long accounts for something.

agoo758
5/10/2011, 06:28 PM
I don't know. Why does every country have nationalized healthcare except us? We must obviously be wrong right?
:rolleyes:

Jacie
5/10/2011, 06:31 PM
Football is entertainment. In what other venue does the entertainer have to reimburse the promoter for unsold tickets? It is absurd that the schools are on the hook for getting people to pay full price for tix. On top of that, in other entertainment venues, promoters foot the bill for meals and suitable lodging for the entertainers while they are in town, not so with the bowl games. Neither of those two issues address the inequality question but go someways towards the equity involved. It isn't like the bowl committees don't have the money and then some to take over those expenses. Yes, some bowls fold, the really minor ones, mainly due to loss of deep-pockets sponsors. If you don't think money is the issue, remember when bowl games were named after fruits instead of Fortune 500 companies?

SoonerNomad
5/10/2011, 07:01 PM
I am anti-playoff, but an eight team playoff would generate a lot more money for the schools than the current system. So, in my opinion, it is NOT all about the money. It would be unbelievable amounts of money. However, it wouldn't be going to the places it is going now and therefore it won't be done without more pushing and prodding. It's about the control of the money.

Having said that, I am fine with the old bowl system, and the BCS and if they eventually add a plus one, I will be fine with that too. Just so it is hard to get in and you have to be one of the top teams in the country.

All of it works in my mind because college football is a great game and the regular season is king. The problem with a playoff is there will never be one where you pick the top 8 teams in the country. Playoffs would have to include conference champs. That would mean a three loss ACC or Big East Champ (or K-State in '03) would be playing for the national title while better teams sit out. Not my idea of a good result.

(As an aside, if there is a playoff in the future, I will be watching and will find the early rounds more compelling than the Humanitarian Bowl.)

Dwight
5/10/2011, 08:51 PM
Yeah...

Because the current system is way better than playoffs.

/thread

stoopified
5/10/2011, 09:09 PM
What is wrong with just continuing to pick the two prettiest teams and let them play for the title? After all in the vast majority of cases the SUPPOSED superior teams always win in playoffs. :D

SoonerNomad
5/11/2011, 01:16 PM
What is wrong with just continuing to pick the two prettiest teams and let them play for the title? After all in the vast majority of cases the SUPPOSED superior teams always win in playoffs. :D

This facetious argument pre SUPPOSES that the team that wins the playoff is the superior team. I love playoffs too, but they don't always result in the superior team being the champ. When the 2005 Houston Astro's beat the St. Louis Cardinals 4 games to 2 in the NLCS, they were still nine games behind in the standings (they were in the same division) for the season, yet they went to represent the NL in the World Series.

The '03 Kansas State Wildcats are Big 12 champs despite having one more loss than the Sooners.

The NCAA tournament gives us NC State in '83, Villanova in '85, Kansas in '88 and this year's UCONN teams as examples of the "champion" not being championship quality.

Playoffs are great fun but please don't ridicule me for only wanting the SUPPOSED best teams in the championship game and leaving those that didn't earn a spot duirng the regular season out. It beats letting a team we know didn't get it done during the regular season win a title it shouldn't even have a chance to win.

Caboose
5/11/2011, 01:21 PM

Maybe you should think a little bit harder about why we name one team the champion in first place... and no it isn't to give us an excuse to have a playoff like so many of you playoff zombies seem to think.

ocsooner
5/11/2011, 02:53 PM
If I thought about it hard enough, I could think of some really good reasons to cut off my right arm (left handers are more creative, it would help expand my mind, makes me work on something that I wouldn't have worked on otherwise, etc...)

That still doesn't make it a good idea.