PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert will start for the Longhorns

oudavid1
5/9/2011, 03:48 PM
this fall. Per source at Austin-American Statesman. (Not my source)

Good news? I think so.

salth2o
5/9/2011, 03:48 PM
I heard that on the news last night. I LOL'ed.

sperry
5/9/2011, 03:49 PM
Excellent news. We were going to win this year regardless of who was starting at QB, but this means a guy with actual talent is missing out on PT where he could be improving.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/9/2011, 03:50 PM
Colt's little bro couldn't even outplay Gilbert?!?

Boomer.....
5/9/2011, 03:53 PM
Another down year for the shorthorns.

badger
5/9/2011, 03:54 PM
Texas quarterback Garrett Gilbert struggled miserably last year, with 10 touchdowns and 17 interceptions.

You know who else threw 10 TD's in his first starting season in the Big 12?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2007/03/rhett-bomar-180sm.jpg

Of course, RB only had 10 picks... but he didn't start the TCU game, either. :)

Mad Dog Madsen
5/9/2011, 03:58 PM
You know who else threw 10 TD's in his first starting season in the Big 12? Rhett Bomar

Does this mean he'll get kicked off the team in August?

StoopTroup
5/9/2011, 04:06 PM
Better check my tweets.

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/9/2011, 04:25 PM
good

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 04:26 PM
Wow, reminds me of Matt Barkley. Fans of the school believe he is a great quarterback, but I just don't see him as a very talented quarterback. Sooner goggles maybe?

badger
5/9/2011, 04:38 PM
Does this mean he'll get kicked off the team in August?

I don't know. Better check TexAgs.com to see if they have any insider information about other schools' issues :rolleyes:

They, themselves, are squeaky clean, of course :rcmad:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2poqzvq.jpg

rekamrettuB
5/9/2011, 04:49 PM
Turn out the lights....

gaylordfan1
5/9/2011, 04:50 PM
I like this!

GKeeper316
5/9/2011, 04:52 PM
gilbert starting in the fall guarantees a sooner win in dallas.

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 04:54 PM
Not so fast. Miracle do happen. Unfortunately, you can't underestimate te*as, even when they are bad.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/9/2011, 04:54 PM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

rekamrettuB
5/9/2011, 04:56 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

Yep...it wouldn't surprise me to see a change of the guard midway thru the Texas game just prior to the OU game. Gives OU two QBs to prepare for.

SunnySooner
5/9/2011, 05:46 PM
I got "whorned" today while wearing my OU cap. He told me we "better be ready." I told him we were ready to kick their asses. I stand by that assessment.

bluedogok
5/9/2011, 05:53 PM
I got "whorned" today while wearing my OU cap. He told me we "better be ready." I told him we were ready to kick their asses. I stand by that assessment.
See...the further they get away from Austin the worse they get. I don't get any crap living in Austin right now.

badger
5/9/2011, 05:54 PM

Mack Brown once started Chance Mock over Vince Young. He then switched to Vince Young before the OU game after the Arky travesty (for them, not us, lol).

We still made Vince Young eat turf that day...
http://www.sportscasualties.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sad-vince.jpg

But don't think that :mack:, who is under intense pressure after a 5-7...

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

After a 5-7...

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

oh, that never gets old... after last year, :mack: is under pressure and WILL make a starter switch again if need-be.

northspeter
5/9/2011, 06:01 PM
mack is panicking... he's heard everyone the last month say how, if you don't have a starter after spring... then you dont have a qb... mack so badly wants gilbert to be the guy he cant wait till the first practice so he can name him already...

rekamrettuB
5/9/2011, 06:53 PM
Mack Brown once started Chance Mock over Vince Young. He then switched to Vince Young before the OU game after the Arky travesty (for them, not us, lol).

We still made Vince Young eat turf that day...

But don't think that :mack:, who is under intense pressure after a 5-7...

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

After a 5-7...

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

oh, that never gets old... after last year, :mack: is under pressure and WILL make a starter switch again if need-be.

Actually Chance started that game...I believe threw his 1st pick of the season on the 2nd or 3rd play of the game to begin the route.

A Sooner in Texas
5/9/2011, 07:53 PM
They're really eatin' this news up over at the Shagster:

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/88970-Bohls-quot-Gilbert-has-been-chosen-as-the-Texas-starter-and-been-told-so-quot

JLEW1818
5/9/2011, 07:56 PM
i said a right handed Chris Simms, 2 years ago.

SunnySooner
5/10/2011, 12:43 AM
After we lose to OU, we'll change our starting QB & RB.......we are back to Mack's pre-VY modus operandi.

The most disappointing thing about this is it speaks loudly to the theory that Harsin has no say in who is our starting QB.

Break a leg Gilbert

WHAT WILL IT ****ING TAKE TO GET RID OF GDGG?!!

I think Hell is a place, just like the Earth, except that the Longhorns are quarterbacked by GG every season, for eternity.

can't wait for another 5-7 season!! hell yeah!!

Had to share those shaggy quotes with ya, gold, Jerry, gold. LOL!!!!!!!!

colinreturn
5/10/2011, 02:25 AM
I feel bad for the kid. However I really do not think he will ever mature or get better. Bad news for UT

texaspokieokie
5/10/2011, 07:14 AM
mack quoted in today's DMN that starting QB decision has not been made.

OUmillenium
5/10/2011, 08:49 AM
Texass sux!

ATX Sooner
5/10/2011, 10:10 AM
See...the further they get away from Austin the worse they get. I don't get any crap living in Austin right now.

I don't either. It is a thing of beauty.

Sooner_Tuf
5/10/2011, 10:20 AM
That kid played worse than I ever have ever hoped for last year. I am saying he could be ever be great but on the right team I think he should be OK. He was a really good High School QB.

I hate it when people take a situation they know nothing about and pull something out of their butt like it is the truth. But that is exactly what I am going to do :D I think GG, like most of the team, was just collateral damage from the cancer that Will Muschamp was to that team.

I am curious to see how his big baby style works as a head coach. I would have paid good money to see him yell at Charlie Strong.

badger
5/10/2011, 11:01 AM
What GG has done for whorn reminds me of what Jimmy Clausen did for ND. He took seemingly a dream job - quarterbacking a top program - and committed to the program of a top-paid coach and his dream job turned to sh!t quickly. It was not necessarily Jimmy's or Garrett's fault, it's just that they are the most visible player on the offense and perhaps the entire team... so when people remember the dark ages of whorn (which right now is just losing a nat'l title game and going 5-7 but could quickly expand to worse) and domer (what did it take, nine, 10 game before they could win one Jimmy's froshie season???), they'll think of Garrett and Jimmy, perhaps unfairly, and they won't look on them highly.

It sucks, but nobody forced those guys to commit to whorn or domer. For them, it's where they wanted to go. Be careful what you wish for.

SoonerNutt
5/10/2011, 12:38 PM
I feel bad for the kid. However I really do not think he will ever mature or get better. Bad news for UT

Never feel bad for a donghorn.

NormanPride
5/10/2011, 12:43 PM
The kid will be better this year. Their OL will be better, their RBs won't be any worse, and their WRs will be better. How much better is one thing... and their D may stink to high heaven as well. They certainly have a lot of concerns, but I will still be nervous as hell come that Saturday in October. They always play us hard.

JLEW1818
5/10/2011, 12:44 PM
Lid

Dio
5/10/2011, 12:50 PM
Nothing like a frothy glass of schadenfreude, courtesy of our 5-7 friends in baja.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/10/2011, 01:00 PM
He will be better as a junior, that is usually around the time their players find the weight room...

badger
5/10/2011, 01:01 PM
Nothing like a frothy glass of schadenfreude, courtesy of our 5-7 friends in baja.

The whorns were loving life when Sammie went down and we had to break Landry out, not to mention that other "off" year when we had to settle for their usual destination, the Holiday Bowl.

No sympathy. Absolutely every program must endure losing seasons, whorns are no exception.

85sooners
5/10/2011, 01:32 PM
**** tejas

KantoSooner
5/10/2011, 02:36 PM
"mack and staff had to let him know now so he can get locked into his wr for the first pass of the season"

This made me laugh. Ah! The sweet smell of schadenfreude hanging heavy in the spring air. Spring! When Bevoids begin to devour their children.

Jacie
5/10/2011, 04:01 PM
mack quoted in today's DMN that starting QB decision has not been made.

This I believe more than the story from Kirk Bohls. Whorn fans do not like him nor put much stock in him as an inside source of sa*et football. It does not mean Gilby won't be the starter, just that this piece of information has probably not been leaked to anyone yet.

Always_Sooner
5/10/2011, 04:42 PM
I think it all depends on how much he picks up the new system. I think they will loose to BYU this year before they play OU. I also think Gilbert will not be prepared for a defense as aggressive as OU touts.

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 02:19 PM
I think they will go with the second-stringer because they will find out Gilbert wasn't as talented or as good under pressure as they had hoped.

goingoneight
5/29/2011, 02:58 PM
You know who else threw 10 TD's in his first starting season in the Big 12?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2007/03/rhett-bomar-180sm.jpg

Of course, RB only had 10 picks... but he didn't start the TCU game, either. :)

I know the point of this thread is to pick on Gilbert, but what Bomar might have lacked in interceptions, he definitely made up for it in fumbles. Seven alone against UCLA.

Jacie
5/29/2011, 03:00 PM
i said a right handed Chris Simms, 2 years ago.

Gilby's got a long way to go before he can be on the same level as Chrissy and I mean that in a good way. Right now, whorns who remember wish he was as good as Simms. The reason Sooners can laugh about him has a lot to do with the results of three games against Oklahoma and one particularly bad outing in a Big XII Championship game. Looking beyond those four games, however, Simms had a winning percentage of over 80%. Statistically, Chrissy ranks as the second or third best qb in sa*et history. Be careful what you wish for.

goingoneight
5/29/2011, 03:18 PM
I didn't see anything out of Gilbert that led me to believe he was going to be a nightmare for years to come against Alabama. I did, however, notice that when he settled down, he was perfectly capable of driving the bus against Bama's staunch defense. Gilbert doesn't appear to have a high ceiling like Vince Young, Colt McCoy or even some of our own star QBs... but it's not like he can't settle in and guys around him can't spell a couple of successful years at UT before he's done.
To be completely honest, I've seen nothing spectacular out of a Nick Saban quarterback before. And Jared Zabransky at Boise State was no Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy. Somehow, Harsin dialed up enough plays to win big with him.
Some players look average, if not awful... sometimes like wastes of scholarships to the average pissed off fan. Then all of a sudden they break out and people are like "wow... where did THAT come from?"

Examples: Cameron Kenney, Quentin Chaney, Nate Hybl (once his shoulder healed up), even the late, great Austin Box was everybody's scapegoat after his first game. Gilbert never had a set offense last year to develop. His whole time under center has been a clusterf*ck of a situation. From trying to be Colt McCoy with NO WARNING in a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME against THE BEST DEFENSE IN THE COUNTRY as a TRUE FRESHMEN, to completely changing up offensive styles in the 2010 off-season with a suspect surrounding cast, to changing offenses again in mid-season, etc. I'm not making excuses for the guy... believe me... i feel like UT deserves this, and has for a long time for all the lucky breaks they've gotten the last six years or so. But I'm also not ruling out Gilbert, or whoever emerges in the fall as the starter leading UT back to their standard 11-win-ish season. The RRS is one weird game when they damndest of things could be the difference between a W or a L. Lots of woulda-coulda-shouldas about the 2008 game. What happens with Reynolds healthy to clobber Shipley over the middle the rest of the game? How about 2009? Is that game even close if OU has Sam, Gresham or healthy DeMarco? And before we laugh too hard about Gilbert and 5-7 UT, they were a couple of "bad breaks" away from beating us in 2010. Like, Landry Jones fumbling on his own deep in OU territory and Aaron Williams gift-wrapping the W for the Sooners who were completely out of gas in the fourth quarter.

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 03:25 PM
But Gilbert has the same tools there that haven't really improved. They lost soem of their defense to the draft. They have a true-freshmen RB and not very good TEs and WRs. I know that what you said was that he could come out of nowhere, but he will probably will start the first few games until Mack goes with the second-stringer before BYU or OU.

goingoneight
5/29/2011, 03:33 PM
There's a lot of "probably" in both our arguments. The bottom line is Gilbert was one of about 22 on-the-field reasons UT went 5-7 last year. Just like Sam's injury in 2009 was one of a bunch of reasons OU went 8-5 the year before. It seems like way too much stock has been put in Gilbert's "suckitude." Again, he doesn't look like much... but how could he with last year's team? Look how bad Paul Thompson and Rhett Bomar looked against TCU in 2005. As it turns out, it wasn't all on them. PT came back to QB a year later when the team around him was a lot better and he was one of the better QBs in the country that year.
Texas as a whole right now is a big question mark. Their fans and critics are barking up the wrong tree if they're putting last year's 5-7 mark all on Gilbert. If Gilbert was THE PROBLEM, why did Muschamp leave? Why did :mack: FINALLY give his buddy Greg Davis the boot? Why couldn't Ut's wideouts catch a cold in crunch time? How did Nebraska lose to Texas? If UT could go into Lincoln and beat NU, why couldn't they smoke Iowa State, Baylor and OSU in Austin? They have a lot of problems. I really doubt Gilbert is THE problem, though.

stoopified
5/29/2011, 03:37 PM
Yea! Can we get that in writing?

101sooner
5/29/2011, 03:42 PM
Bad coaching. Gilbert is probably a decent QB but the Texas coaching staff is a monkey ****.

SoonerKnight
5/29/2011, 05:31 PM
WGAF about Gilbert?

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 05:32 PM
Maybe Gilbert.

King Crimson
5/29/2011, 06:04 PM
i don't think he's as bad as many say...

he'll beat us once.

soonerloyal
5/29/2011, 09:31 PM
he'll beat us once.

Bite your tongue.

Clean through.

SoonerBread
5/29/2011, 10:29 PM
WGAF about Gilbert?

tizackly

texaspokieokie
5/30/2011, 08:28 AM
i'm afraid tejas is being under rated.

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 11:32 AM
Not underrated. We are just saying facts. One person just said he will beat us once. They have too many holes on offense really, but they have done good with worse.

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 11:33 AM
I don't like to underestimate anyone. I am just noting that Te*as has some big gaps to fill to be successful.

badger
5/30/2011, 11:42 AM
I know the point of this thread is to pick on Gilbert, but what Bomar might have lacked in interceptions, he definitely made up for it in fumbles. Seven alone against UCLA.

I was ill that game, that entire weekend really, but I was not of the position to turn down per diem and a trip to Los Angeles, so I went anyway.

The Rose Bowl wasn't even full. Our buses kept having to stop and honk because stupid sorority blonds with baby blue UCLA tees kept looking all entitled at us as they slowly crossed the roadways in front of us. This went on for at least an hour, including when our bus driver took a wrong turn and got us trapped in a pedestrian mall area with no drivable exits.

Because the Pac 10 is apparently not as academic as the rest of the country, they weren't even in session by September (nor was Warshington when we went to Seattle a few years back). So, they had halftime show of dogs chasing frisbees. I. KEED. YOU. NOT.

City of Angels my arse. They were chanting "f*** the sooners" afterward and even little boys with the encouragement of their baby blue polo wearing daddies were all like "go back to oklahoma" and sh!t.

I don't even remember the game, other than the fact that we lost and we did lots of losing that year (by OU standards, apologies to any opposing fans glaring at me now over an 8-win season). That season was so full of fail from left to right, what a semester to graduate. I would have liked it a lot better if at least Paul Thompson was quarterback, but instead we have to remember it as the year the Big Red Sports workaholic usurped him.

So, in conclusion, EFF THAT SEASON and EFF THAT GAME. EFF THAT QUARTERBACK, LAME LAME LAME :mad:

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 09:07 AM
Wasn't that the game with Maurice Jones-Drew?