PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Gabbert leaving Mizzou

oudavid1
5/9/2011, 11:46 AM
BY VAHE GREGORIAN STLtoday.com | Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 6:43 am |

Just over a week after his older brother, Blaine, was the 10th pick overall in the NFL draft, Mizzou redshirt freshman Tyler Gabbert is transferring from MU, Missouri said in a statement Monday morning.

"We wish Tyler the best and will do everything we can to assist him going forward,” MU coach Gary Pinkel said in the statement. “He’s worked very hard in our program this past year, and we thank him for his efforts. Tyler is a high quality person and an outstanding football player."

Gabbert redshirted as fellow freshman James Franklin appeared in 10 games last season in spot duty. Gabbert had nudged even or past Franklin early in spring practice, but Franklin emerged No. 1 when the final spring depth chart came out.

Gabbert is leaving Mizzou, his father, Chuck, said Monday morning, "for an opportunity to compete and vie for a starting position."

Unstated but implied in those words and his son's action is the notion that Franklin had seized hold of the starting job for keeps after a back-and-forth battle in spring practice.

"This is not a knee-jerk reaction by any stretch of the imagination," he said.

As of the moment, Chuck Gabbert said he was not at all sure where his son would consider transferring.

"It's actually one of those things where you're taking a leap of faith," he said, noting that his son would concentrate first on finishing final exams this week and adding, "It's one of those things where he's looking for a new start and a fresh start."

That search for a fresh start will begin with the numerous places that heavily recruited Gabbert as he was coming out of Parkway West. That may or may not include Nebraska, where Gabbert, like his older brother, initially committed.

Or it could include Louisville, where family friend and former Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson now is.

Oregon, Iowa and Wake Forest were among others who pursued Gabbert before.

Per NCAA transfer rules, Gabbert would have to sit out next season, meaning a second straight year he essentially is on the sidelines.

But Chuck Gabbert said, "We look at that as a positive," since it will give his son time to learn a new system and get acclimated to his new school.

Even as his second son leaves MU, Gabbert lavished praise on Pinkel and the program, saying the head coach and his staff were understanding and professional about the matter.

"I cannot stress enough our thanks to the University of Missouri," he said.

Linkage (http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/tiger-tracker/article_b2f7e2cc-7a53-11e0-a70e-0019bb30f31a.html)

85sooners
5/9/2011, 03:30 PM
:gary:

oudavid1
5/9/2011, 03:31 PM
:gary:

why?

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 03:35 PM
why?

because that's what "85" posts. that's actually one of his longer ones.

oudavid1
5/9/2011, 03:40 PM
because that's what "85" posts. that's actually one of his longer ones.

oh, i thought he was dissatisfied with my thread.

I love feedback.

picasso
5/9/2011, 03:41 PM
Any relation to Taylor Weeden?

badger
5/9/2011, 03:42 PM
So basically, Baby Gabbo lost the starting job competition and rather than continue to compete for it, is quitting Mizzou at the first sign of not being as good as his big bwudder.

oudavid1
5/9/2011, 03:49 PM
So basically, Baby Gabbo lost the starting job competition and rather than continue to compete for it, is quitting Mizzou at the first sign of not being as good as his big bwudder.

Well the rumors are that he could start anywhere so i guess this Franklin kid is pretty good. I dont blame him.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/9/2011, 03:53 PM
Well the rumors are that he could start anywhere so i guess this Franklin kid is pretty good. I dont blame him.

...Except Mizzou of course. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
5/9/2011, 04:07 PM
Better check my tweets.

rekamrettuB
5/9/2011, 04:15 PM
Why do these parents jump at the opportunity to be interviewed? If this were my kid I would simply say "talk to the school". Do the parents simply do it to keep their kids away from the media? Or do you think they relish the spotlight?

BoulderSooner79
5/9/2011, 04:17 PM
Why do these parents jump at the opportunity to be interviewed? If this were my kid I would simply say "talk to the school". Do the parents simply do it to keep their kids away from the media? Or do you think they relish the spotlight?

The parents are the ones that had to bump dangly bits 20 years ago, they deserve the spotlight.

badger
5/9/2011, 04:20 PM

Nah, I just think parents are sometimes the only ones media can reach. Since Blaine has been in the news so much lately, it would make sense for media to have Mommy and Daddy Gabby on speed dial still.

I doubt Mizzou would say much more than "wish non-Blaine version of Gabbert best on his future endeavors, which definitely won't include Mizzou or the Neffel, lololololol" if that, and what would Tyler say? "My heart's been broken and I've been crying non-stop since the release of the depth chart that for once didn't have a "Gabbert" on top?"

Don't think of all sports parents as Jerry Bomar clones. Remember that Keith Nichol's dad was buzzed by tons of Oklahoma media after Sammie was named starter asking how soon Keith would transfer.

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 04:22 PM
Any idea where he is considering? Or is it too soon to tell?

rekamrettuB
5/9/2011, 04:29 PM
Any idea where he is considering? Or is it too soon to tell?

Auburn seems to pay well. I would hit them up first if I was Lil' Gabby.

northspeter
5/9/2011, 05:53 PM
tulsa would be a good place to look... kinne has done quite well as a transfer... and they have nobody behind him capable of taking over the job next year...

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 05:57 PM
tulsa would be a good place to look... kinne has done quite well as a transfer... and they have nobody behind him capable of taking over the job next year...

According to the parents, Gabbert isn't looking to be anyone's second choice.

northspeter
5/9/2011, 06:03 PM
According to the parents, Gabbert isn't looking to be anyone's second choice.

well, he'd have to redshirt due to transfering so he'd be the guy in 2012...

kinne is a senior this coming year...