PDA

View Full Version : Monday poll: One change to Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

badger
5/9/2011, 10:22 AM
I love to call it Owen Field just so there's no mistaking what name is on the front, Oklahoma or Gaylord, but because we're referring to the entire stadium and not just the field -- OKLAHOMA MEMORIAL STADIUM, what would you change about it?

The nominees are from this thread here (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154079) and it sounded like a perfect poll idea, here goes.

You can choose one. You can vote once, and you vote anonymously. Three days of voting! You can also write-in (and explain below) additional options :)

badger
5/9/2011, 10:40 AM
To give credit where it's due:

I vote new press box.

Removing the Gaylord signs.

The upper decks should match.

Enclosing the south end zone.

bowl the upper decks together across the north.

Beer, Ice Cold Beer.

Shorter lines at the concession stands.

Mist sprayers for the hot days.

Demo the West upper deck and continue the East upper deck elevation all the way around, enclosing the South End Zone, to create a bowl.

All great ideas, combined some of the ones that were similar. Sorry to force you all to vote for just one :)

badger
5/9/2011, 10:51 AM
OK, I voted for selling alcohol. Basically, we are at an era where the fans will either drink themselves silly beforehand in anticipation of not being able to buy beer during the game, thus making them insanely dehydrated on hot days and overcrowding the medical areas, or there's trenchcoat fans lining their clothing with pocket shots smuggled in.

Our fans are not babies, and if they are, they are not old enough to buy alcohol anyway. Sell it the same way pro stadiums do (not during the fourth quarter), limit it to a certain number per person if you feel really anti-alcohol, but sell it and make even more money for the university than you already do.

The concession lines for the most part don't suck, Red/White game aside. You'll need to spend a few minutes away from your seat at busy times, like halftime, but that's why they give you that much time off from football, amirite?

I have not been in many press boxes, but ours did not appear to suck that much.

I know our stadium needs to expand again eventually, but for now, it seems to be the perfect size.

I would love more cooling areas and if I could vote for a second one, that would be my section option.

I wish it was still "Oklahoma Memorial Stadium," but I think that ship's sailed. I don't think anyone other than the athletic department adds "Gaylord Family" to it as-is.

OU Engineer
5/9/2011, 10:54 AM
Enclose the south end zone.

It would make the staidum so much louder without adding too many more seats. I'm all for upping the capacity, but I really don't think teh cit of Norman can handle any more people on game days.

As far as taking "Gaylord Family" off the name, to do so you would probably have to remove the east upper deck with it since thats pretty much why the name is there...

oudavid1
5/9/2011, 10:57 AM
I agree with what Cowherd says. "If your an alcoholic, why should i have to subject my kid to that. I paid for these seats. If you cant go three hours with out a beer, you have a problem."

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 11:00 AM
concession lines are way long.

i think everyone should chip in a few dollars (whatever you can afford) to make the "Gaylord" sign @ least 3 times larger.

don't need beer in the stands. would have many more drunks on the streeets after the game.
time spent watching game is a "buffer zone" to avoid being drunk after game.

on the other hand, sell it for an outrageous price (like in jerrah world) so folks
wouldn't really buy enough to get drunk.

bornnbredou
5/9/2011, 11:07 AM
Definitely enclose the south endzone. Then we can officially say our stadium isnt modeled after a high school stadium. As said earlier it would only add a couple thousand seats at most so it wouldnt be outrageous and it would just make the whole stadium come together and look much nicer.

fwsooner22
5/9/2011, 11:30 AM
Can you imagine what that stadium would have been like for the Tech night game a few years ago if we were still in prohibition (which what some you propose). Please.

On topic - Enclose the south end zone. The concessions will always stink, be too expensive and lines too long. My area runs out of water every game.

XFollower
5/9/2011, 11:36 AM
I think they need a but measuring device and if your cheeks don't fit between the lines, you have to purchase two tickets. I hate getting pushed over because someone is too wide for their seat. That's all.

badger
5/9/2011, 11:39 AM
I think they need a but measuring device and if your cheeks don't fit between the lines, you have to purchase two tickets. I hate getting pushed over because someone is too wide for their seat. That's all.

Seatbacks are the easiest way to solve this. People will not sneak into your butt space if there's a designated place for your butt, a seatback.

Sooner_Tuf
5/9/2011, 11:43 AM
I agree with what Cowherd says. "If your an alcoholic, why should i have to subject my kid to that. I payed for these seats. If you cant go three hours with out a beer, you have a problem."

I think you have a bigger problem if you can't spell "paid".

oudavid1
5/9/2011, 11:47 AM
I think you have a bigger problem if you can't spell "paid".

na, i can fix my problem faster.

badger
5/9/2011, 11:53 AM
We could probably do an entirely separate poll on the stadium seats themselves. Do we add south endzone corner seats? Do we make the upper decks match? Do we connect the upper decks? Do we somehow provide shade for these hot hot seats? Are prices too expensive? Should scalping be illegal or more restrictions be placed? Should bleacher areas have a few more inches added per seat or have "customer of size" policies in place (stole that phrase from Southwest Airlines, yes)? Should kids under a certain age get free, or even be allowed in the stadium in the first place? Should fans be allowed to stand entire games, or have to sit at certain moments, and if they stand, should they be disallowed from standing on the seats?

It's a long summer... might have to do that one later :)

Lott's Bandana
5/9/2011, 12:09 PM
Somehow find a way to alleviate the big logjam on the ramps at Section 30-32 on the east side. (other than terminate all the Senior donors that "collect" at the top of the ramp, having trouble finding the seats they've owned since 1956)

OUstud
5/9/2011, 01:46 PM
Well, beer ain't gonna happen. They wouldn't even sell it at the Arlington Albatross. Plus, we're a "dry campus" (yeah right) now.

MsProudSooner
5/9/2011, 01:59 PM
Somehow find a way to alleviate the big logjam on the ramps at Section 30-32 on the east side. (other than terminate all the Senior donors that "collect" at the top of the ramp, having trouble finding the seats they've owned since 1956)

Is that the southern most ramp on the east side? There is terrible logjam there because that's the only ramp for the last section on the east side. They need an external ramp like they have next to section 1.

The only change that I foresee happening is modifications to the West side to include more suites.

PalmBeachSooner
5/9/2011, 02:08 PM
Where's the "all of the above option?"

badger
5/9/2011, 02:25 PM
Where's the "all of the above option?"

CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITE! :P

jumperstop
5/9/2011, 02:27 PM

This...

Is it fair for me to be punished because I eat right and exercise? Then again, the majority of people in the stadium would need to buy two tickets if this were the rule.

NormanPride
5/9/2011, 03:05 PM
Step 1: Demolish West Side upper deck + press box - replace with new hotness that matches east side (seatbacks, too!)
Step 2: widen all tunnels and replace benches with seatbacks
Step 3: Bowl in NORTH end zone since both upper decks match
Step 4: Connect all upper deck with another walkway around the North that has its own concessions and restrooms

This would make me a happy NP.

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 03:25 PM
Can't believe "get rid of Gaylord" has the most votes.
this is silly !!!

it ain't like they changed it from "Owens-Wilkinson_Switzer-Stoops" to Gaylord.

it's just a memorial to WWI vets, & they're all dead.

HYPOTHITECAL !!!!!!!!!!!!
If Gaylords had given as much as T. Boone has to osu, then would it be OK ???

(reportedly 300 mil)

oudavid1
5/9/2011, 03:29 PM
Dont bowl in south endzone. Extend east side deck around to a gap in NW corner (just like texas). Get a big screen for North endzone. New press box. Suites in south endzone.

badger
5/9/2011, 03:45 PM
Can't believe "get rid of Gaylord" has the most votes.
this is silly !!!

it ain't like they changed it from "Owens-Wilkinson_Switzer-Stoops" to Gaylord.

it's just a memorial to WWI vets, & they're all dead.

HYPOTHITECAL !!!!!!!!!!!!
If Gaylords had given as much as T. Boone has to osu, then would it be OK ???

(reportedly 300 mil)

It's only leading by one vote. I wonder if the order I put the options in has anything to do with it being the most popular at this moment?

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 03:56 PM
It's only leading by one vote. I wonder if the order I put the options in has anything to do with it being the most popular at this moment?

maybe that's true. Sooner fans i know (& there's lots of them) have never mentioned "Gaylords". to me, it's just not that important.

Mississippi Sooner
5/9/2011, 04:05 PM
I've always called the place Owen Field. Ain't gonna change that no matter who puts their name on the stadium.

badger
maybe that's true. Sooner fans i know (& there's lots of them) have never mentioned "Gaylords". to me, it's just not that important.

I checked some of the recent summer poles/polls --- being listed first has nothing to do with which one sf.com votes on. Usually, the most Soonerific option is zeroed in on right away, even if it is listed near the bottom. Who has the toughest non-conference schedule in the Big 12? Oklahoma. Who has the creamiest cupcake scheduled? OU (versus Ball State). The best part of the 2010-11 season? OU beating Nebraska in the final (???) Big 12 title game.

I have tried to take steps to curtail the crimson colored glasses syndrome... like making every option an OU option :)

StoopTroup
Build a 14,000 Seat Basketball Stadium and another Parking Garage next to it called the Gaylord Family Memorial Parking Garage.

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 04:06 PM
Concession lines may be too long and beer may not be sold, but I voted for creating the bowl effect. It is a college stadium, college kids may drink there at times, but they are not going to promote it.

badger
5/9/2011, 04:13 PM
Build a 14,000 Seat Basketball Stadium and another Parking Garage next to it called the Gaylord Family Memorial Parking Garage.

http://ifevolutionworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/BangHeadHere.gif

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 04:25 PM
I've always called the place Owen Field. Ain't gonna change that no matter who puts their name on the stadium.

Me too !!!!

jumperstop
5/9/2011, 04:38 PM

I voted for it because nothing else about the stadium bugs me. I think the stadium is fine the way it is. So I voted for the name.

OU Engineer
5/9/2011, 05:20 PM

you sir are correct. It is indeed Owen Field at the Gaylor Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Or as I call it... the temple.

SunnySooner
5/9/2011, 05:56 PM
OK, here's the dealio on the south endzone...like I said, ain't happening.

Why the Stadium is Not Enclosed

Creating a bowl stadium will likely never happen in Norman because of the south end zone expansion in 1957. The end zone was built to prevent destruction of the practice field and baseball field just south of the stadium. So a higher slope than the rest of the stadium was used in the expansion that year. Today, the baseball field is near Lloyd Noble Center and an indoor practice facility is near the stadium and the Barry Switzer Center just south of there could support the reconstruction of the end zone, the Bud Wilkinson practice fields would still be destroyed if it were to happen. So don’t expect an enclosure any time soon.

There has, however, been discussion of expanding the south end zone, but we aren’t sure how that will happen.

Let it go. ;)

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 06:04 PM

Let it go. ;)

well, i want my vote back. add it to the "gaylord" thing.

Soonerfan88
5/9/2011, 06:09 PM
It also isn't worth bowling in the end zone. The money you might be able to get from those seats won't have enough ROI to pay for it. I've seen people turn down free SEZ tickets. And that so-called waiting list is a sham. The folks still on there won't donate or are trying to build up more points so they are offered somewhere other than SEZ seats.

And having any name in front of a tribute to Oklahoma veterans greatly irritates me. I wouldn't even like it if OU named it after Wilkinson/Switzer/Stoops - and not just because it would be acting like * who did it for DKR.

oudavid1
5/9/2011, 06:53 PM

Let it go. ;)

THIS

It also isn't worth bowling in the end zone. The money you might be able to get from those seats won't have enough ROI to pay for it. I've seen people turn down free SEZ tickets. And that so-called waiting list is a sham. The folks still on there won't donate or are trying to build up more points so they are offered somewhere other than SEZ seats.

And having any name in front of a tribute to Oklahoma veterans greatly irritates me. I wouldn't even like it if OU named it after Wilkinson/Switzer/Stoops - and not just because it would be acting like * who did it for DKR.

This

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 09:02 PM
Everyone calls it Owen Field from what I know. Including Barry Tramel:

Nothing says big-time college football like Thanksgiving weekend. And nothing says Thanksgiving weekend like Oklahoma … -Iowa State?

The Sooners and Cyclones are ancient foes. They first played in 1928 and played every season from then until 1996. They’ve played 75 times over the years. And Iowa State has won five times. Two of those wins came before FDR made the White House. Two others came in 1960 and 1961. In the last 50 years, the Cyclones have beaten the Sooners once.

So the anticipation level for that OU-ISU showdown on Thanksgiving Saturday — especially since the game is in Norman — is not high.

Score one for the Big 12 schools that held out. The conference schedule obviously was being negotiated, which is why it’s taken so long to produce. Clearly, with Texas and Texas A&M playing Thanksgiving night, and with OU-OSU moved to December, the networks wanted the Sooners to play a decent game on Thanksgiving Saturday. That had to mean Missouri.

But the Missouri-Kansas game stayed on Thanksgiving Saturday, and Iowa State was pressed into service.

It’s a consolation prize for the networks. Not a good game, but a marquee opponent. If the Sooners are in the national title hunt going into Thanksgiving, any game will be big, even Iowa State at Owen Field.
But on a day when Alabama plays Auburn, and UCLA plays Southern Cal, and Florida State plays Florida, and Georgia Tech plays Georgia, and Notre Dame plays Stanford, and Ohio State plays Michigan, and Penn State plays Wisconsin, and Oregon plays Oregon State, Oklahoma-Iowa State will be hard pressed to turn the spotlight to the Big 12.

TIMB0B
5/9/2011, 09:09 PM
OK, I voted for selling alcohol. Basically, we are at an era where the fans will either drink themselves silly beforehand in anticipation of not being able to buy beer during the game, thus making them insanely dehydrated on hot days and overcrowding the medical areas, or there's trenchcoat fans lining their clothing with pocket shots smuggled in.

Our fans are not babies, and if they are, they are not old enough to buy alcohol anyway. Sell it the same way pro stadiums do (not during the fourth quarter), limit it to a certain number per person if you feel really anti-alcohol, but sell it and make even more money for the university than you already do.

The concession lines for the most part don't suck, Red/White game aside. You'll need to spend a few minutes away from your seat at busy times, like halftime, but that's why they give you that much time off from football, amirite?

I have not been in many press boxes, but ours did not appear to suck that much.

I know our stadium needs to expand again eventually, but for now, it seems to be the perfect size.

I would love more cooling areas and if I could vote for a second one, that would be my section option.

I wish it was still "Oklahoma Memorial Stadium," but I think that ship's sailed. I don't think anyone other than the athletic department adds "Gaylord Family" to it as-is.
Went to a Ragin' Cajuns game last fall. They sell beer at the stadium. I think they might be the only school that does. They did it to bring more fans to the game, and as a result, they said they can't afford NOT to sell beer at the games anymore.

texaspokieokie
5/10/2011, 07:07 AM
This...

Is it fair for me to be punished because I eat right and exercise? Then again, the majority of people in the stadium would need to buy two tickets if this were the rule.

then the crowd would only number half as many.

Whet
5/10/2011, 08:11 AM
The Press Box is the next item on the agenda for replacement.

deweydw
5/10/2011, 09:25 AM
I voted for enclosing the SEZ. But that seems to be wishfull thinking. If I could do a write-in vote. It would be to force the student section to stay for the whole game.

MeMyself&Me
5/10/2011, 09:45 AM
I voted closing the south end zone just cause it would make the stadium look so much better. However, I would never sit in the the seats it would create. I hate corner seating.

NormanPride
5/10/2011, 10:01 AM
People that want to bowl in the south endzone hate breezes on hot summer days.

TopDawg
5/10/2011, 10:31 AM

Why the Stadium is Not Enclosed

Creating a bowl stadium will likely never happen in Norman because of the south end zone expansion in 1957. The end zone was built to prevent destruction of the practice field and baseball field just south of the stadium. So a higher slope than the rest of the stadium was used in the expansion that year. Today, the baseball field is near Lloyd Noble Center and an indoor practice facility is near the stadium and the Barry Switzer Center just south of there could support the reconstruction of the end zone, the Bud Wilkinson practice fields would still be destroyed if it were to happen. So don’t expect an enclosure any time soon.

There has, however, been discussion of expanding the south end zone, but we aren’t sure how that will happen

Let it go. ;)

I don't buy that explanation. I know it's the "company line" but nobody says that the bench seats have to line up exactly in order to bowl it in. I'm no engineer, but from a strictly aesthetic standpoint, you could bowl it in using the same slope and just have the two sections meet, but not match. Kinda like what Nebraska has in the corners of their stadium:

http://big12football.net/nebraska%20football%20stadium.jpg

Even still, I appreciate the breeze it allows, so I'm more in favor of adding upper deck seating in the north. I also think it would be cool to connect the upper decks on the south side, but not the bottom part. It could also look really dumb, though. Has anyone ever farked a picture like that?

badger
5/10/2011, 10:46 AM
Has anyone ever farked a picture like that?

I placed a call with the fark board. A fark representative will hopefully be with you shortly :)

bmjlr
5/10/2011, 11:17 AM
I voted for beer! People are going to drink anyway.

badger
5/11/2011, 12:21 PM
Wow, it's hard to get all of you to agree on anything (unless its Sammie's success with the Rammies should the Neffel have a season this year).

One day left of voting...

texaspokieokie
5/11/2011, 04:25 PM
wow, sez is finally edging out "gaylord family".

i thot beer would get more votes, but personally i'm agin it.

lotta money to be made, but you couldn't sell it to the students.
buncha throwin up & fightin.

Big D Sooner
5/23/2011, 06:17 PM
One of the things that I like most about the stadium is that most of the seating is along the sides. If you look at some stadiums, like the Swamp, they have a lot of end zone seating. I hate end zone seats. I like the idea of making a press box that extends the entire length of the east side. As for increasing the crowd noise... I think they need to schedule more night games and the fans just have to get off of their asses.

texaspokieokie
5/23/2011, 06:26 PM
One of the things that I like most about the stadium is that most of the seating is along the sides. If you look at some stadiums, like the Swamp, they have a lot of end zone seating. I hate end zone seats. I like the idea of making a press box that extends the entire length of the east side. As for increasing the crowd noise... I think they need to schedule more night games and the fans just have to get off of their asses.

yep, we're all louder standing up, especially @ nite.

texaspokieokie
5/23/2011, 06:28 PM
if i was a Gaylord, i sure as hell wouldn't give any more money to the ingrates on this board.

sooner518
5/23/2011, 06:53 PM
Went to a Ragin' Cajuns game last fall. They sell beer at the stadium. I think they might be the only school that does. They did it to bring more fans to the game, and as a result, they said they can't afford NOT to sell beer at the games anymore.

Colorado sold beer when I went to the 2007 game.... I don't think they're the only ones.

goingoneight
5/23/2011, 07:15 PM
I agree with the Gaylord name thing. I could care less what their name is... a great deal of our success is due to our donors.

BigTip
5/23/2011, 07:41 PM
This whole thread made me homesick for some reason.

I Googled images of the stadium, just because.

Looking at game day pics with the sea of red, and a little white scattered in, made me think of an idea that I think would be cool. Then I wondered if any university does this.

Okay, here it is:
If you sit in an even numbered section, wear white. If you sit in a odd numbered section, wear red.

The stadium would end up with 40 "stripes". It could easily get to be a signature look.

And nobody would have to donate money to make it happen!