PDA

View Full Version : Big XII Actually Being 12 Teams?

SoonerofAlabama
5/8/2011, 10:48 PM
Which of these two teams under fan consideration do you think could make the best match with the current Big XII teams:

Brigham Young Cougars: Although the Cougars are going independent this next season, there has been some talk on the board about them joining. It could be a sizeable fit because the Cougars are more of a physical team that has made moves in recent years. They are also in the Southwest, so it woul not be like TCU joining the Big East.

Arizona State Sun Devils and Arizona Wildcats: These two would have to come in a package deal. Their longtime rivalry would not be split up because of expansion to the Big XII. Even though Oklahoma and Nebraska split, it doesn't mean these two foes would divide and end their feud. These two schools haven't had great success, but Arizona has a good quarterback in Nick Foles, who would join other great quarterbacks in the Big XII. Both teams are on the rise at the moment.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish: Many would not like this deal, considering Oklahoma's and Notre Dame's past games played, but it could be a good fit as well. If BYU has a chance at joining the Big XII, then Notre Dame deserves a shot on the board. Notre Dame might see a surge in wins this next year after their bowl year even though it had several bumps.

Arkansas Razorbacks: In the Southeastern Conference, their have been two teams: Florida and Alabama, with a small appearance by Auburn. Arkansas has had their shots, but they just can't find success in the SEC. They might be getting frustrated in a conference that offers new teams little success. Arkansas may not be a great power next year, but they have a quality team that could be a perfect fit for the Big XII.

Louisiana State University Tigers: Before you start thinking that I am an LSU fan in disguise or think of something bad to say about me, think about what having the Tigers could do to the Big XII. Les Miles may have some enemies in Oklahoma (along with many other places), but adding a team that also has been disappointed with their conference could make a move to the Big XII. They are a good team, even if we don't like them.

These are my most obvious choices, what two could make the best fit for the Big XII? Who else do you think could be a match for this conference?

yermom
5/8/2011, 11:22 PM
the only ones on that list that would really make much sense are BYU and Notre Dame

why would someone leave the SEC or Pac-12?

ouwasp
5/8/2011, 11:29 PM
I can't see a school leaving the Pac-12 or SEC either.

ND would be a great catch, but they won't join any league, imo.

BYU and... how about Air Force?

OUTrumpet
5/9/2011, 06:01 AM
I think our most realistic shots would be the Air Force Academy, BYU, Cincy, and Memphis.

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 06:47 AM
There are possible teams all over the country. Memphis I had not heard about, just know they are in C-USA.

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 07:19 AM
There are possible teams all over the country. Memphis I had not heard about, just know they are in C-USA.

you're in bama & haven't heard of memphis.

Ruf/Nek7
5/9/2011, 08:34 AM
ND would never leave their independent status unless they have an offer that can't be beat. BYU would be a good fit, they just don't bring in a very big market. Someone mentioned Cinncy....now that would be an interesting option. They are a decent program with a great coach, and they have a good sized market. I almost say Cinncy over BYU

KuppiKunta
5/9/2011, 08:42 AM
Why not steal Nebraska from the Big 10 and Colorado from the Pac 12?

XingTheRubicon
5/9/2011, 08:51 AM
No one of consequence is coming to this sh*thole of a conference.

rekamrettuB
5/9/2011, 09:11 AM
ND would never leave their independent status unless they have an offer that can't be beat. BYU would be a good fit, they just don't bring in a very big market. Someone mentioned Cinncy....now that would be an interesting option. They are a decent program with a great coach, and they have a good sized market. I almost say Cinncy over BYU

Who is their coach?

meoveryouxinfinity
5/9/2011, 09:11 AM
Why not steal Nebraska from the Big 10 and Colorado from the Pac 12?

OMG! that makes so much sense! SPEK!!! Someone call Beebe!!!

meoveryouxinfinity
5/9/2011, 09:13 AM

Are you serious? Cinci is having a nice little run but they have never experienced long term success like BYU and plus they both have good basketball programs. BYU would be a MUCH MUCH MUCH better choice. Never make decisions off of recent success. BYU has had marginal sustained success. Cinci has had sustained suckitude. When did they even become D1A?

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 09:20 AM
cinn has had good basketball in the past.

remember Oscar Robertson ??

KantoSooner
5/9/2011, 09:49 AM
Arkie and LSU make the most sense to me; but neither one will make a move. If they did, however, by how many tenths of a second would their players' forty times increase?

MiccoMacey
5/9/2011, 10:03 AM
Why not Houston? I'd like to have seen TCU have a shot as well.

And in all honesty, I'd like to steal a university that has a wrestling program as well. It's going to adversely affect us since we currently only have four schools that field a wrestling team in the Big 12 (freaking Texas schools suck!!!).

usaosooner
5/9/2011, 10:19 AM
Not happening: ND,Arkansas

Unlikely but possible: Arizona twins

Probable but will have issues: BYU,Air Force

Unlikely but would be great road trips: UNLV, Nevada

Wat? any combo of UCF, Memphis,Cinci etc etc

RedstickSooner
5/9/2011, 10:47 AM
If we expand the conference, I would like that expansion to also expand our recruiting and fanbase coverage -- hence, no more friggin' teams from Texas. Seriously. We have too many as it is.

A team from either coast would be great, and I'd kind of like to see us expand into an area that isn't really known for football -- but where you could probably import some nice talent that slips past the "just recruit cali, texas and florida" radar.

WichitaSooner
5/9/2011, 11:12 AM
I don't know why everybody is automatically saying that ND would say no.... Not if you have any understanding of their situation.

They kept turning down the Big 10 for the SOLE reason that they wouldn't let ND keep their own tv money they were getting from NBC. The conferece wanted them to split it all with the rest of the conference.

The new big 12 has shown they are the opposite... in fact, the reason texas and OU are still in the big 12 is because the conference said that if they stayed they can keep all their revenue from their own networks/tv deals.

So, in my opinion, the big 12 would the be main target for ND if they truly desired a conference affiliation.

badger
5/9/2011, 11:14 AM
Let's wait and see how this conference reallignment thing works out for the Pac 12 and the Big Televelve... wow, "eleven" and "twelve" have a lot of "e" and "v" action in their spellings :D

If it doesn't work out, we're in a good position to expand. This will also give us a chance to see if we really, REALLY want to do this whole "play every team and no conference championship" schedule in football every year.

So, for the time being... add nobody.

But, for the sake of argument, I'd want both BYU and ND... if I had the choice, BYU, just because with Nebbish gone, we need another team that can "nice" foes to death... and because ND needs to suffer a little for their adamant stance on independence for so long. :D

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 11:17 AM
Badge;

how bout WI ???

badger
5/9/2011, 11:27 AM
Badge;

how bout WI ???

No. nonononononononononononononononNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO

Did I say "no" enough? Their fans travel well but are very rude and abusive. If you think Tech is bad, you haven't seen anything. If you think LSU fans at the Sugar Bowl in 2003/04 were bad, you haven't seen anything. If you thought UCLA or Oregon fans were bad on the away half of our home-and-homes with them, still, nothing compared to the potty mouths of Camp Randall Stadium.

Every fanbase has good fans, and Wisconsin definitely has some good, fun fans. Every fanbase has bad fans, OU included. But Wisconsin has more - FAR more, than anyone else I've ever witnessed.

I have not witnessed Penn State. I think they might be worse, but not sure.

soonervegas
5/9/2011, 11:40 AM
The bosses seem to be pretty pleased to stay at 10. I wouldn't mind us just inviting BYU and wait (ala the Big 10/Penn State). Someone will get restless or rise as a program in 15-20 years.

JLEW1818
5/9/2011, 11:46 AM
BYU would mess things up in other sports

JLEW1818
5/9/2011, 11:46 AM
I say Tulsa and UH

:D

Sooner98
5/9/2011, 11:49 AM
No one of consequence is coming to this sh*thole of a conference.

This.

I say let this mid-major conference implode in a few years at 10 teams, and then get out, STAT.

SoonerPr8r
5/9/2011, 11:59 AM
If we expand i think it will not be for about 4-5 years when the ABC/ESPN contract is ready to be re-negotiated. A lot can happen in that time especially BYU realizing that the BIG XII would be better than the bad independent schedules

Ruf/Nek7
5/9/2011, 01:59 PM
Are you serious? Cinci is having a nice little run but they have never experienced long term success like BYU and plus they both have good basketball programs. BYU would be a MUCH MUCH MUCH better choice. Never make decisions off of recent success. BYU has had marginal sustained success. Cinci has had sustained suckitude. When did they even become D1A?

I was simply throwing market size in the equation because that is a part of the selection. Never make your decision off of program success in general.

Who is their coach?

Butch Jones, he preceded Kelly at both Central Michigan and now Cinncy.

Ruf/Nek7
5/9/2011, 02:03 PM
I say Tulsa and UH

I don't think UH would be a bad choice. Bring Sumlin's team back to the conference and they have a sizable market in Houston. Although, they do share that with a&m already.

PalmBeachSooner
5/9/2011, 02:16 PM

Don't underestimate BYU. They have a world-wide following.

badger
5/9/2011, 02:44 PM
BYU would mess things up in other sports

How???
http://i56.tinypic.com/zwdx94.png

Those are BYU's varsity sports, according to their site. BYU would give us another baseball team and I'm sure the Texas guys would love another swimming school to join 'em.

Mississippi Sooner
5/9/2011, 02:51 PM
Those are BYU's varsity sports, according to their site. BYU would give us another baseball team and I'm sure the Texas guys would love another swimming school to join 'em.

But do they swim in their sacred underwear?

badger
5/9/2011, 02:53 PM
But do they swim in their sacred underwear?

Look at this picture and tell me you don't want them as a future conference rival.

http://publish.netitor.com/photos/schools/mwc/sports/c-swim/02-03action/a-team_men-byu-022203.jpg

COUGARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

usaosooner
5/9/2011, 03:27 PM
How???
http://i56.tinypic.com/zwdx94.png

BYU doesn't play sports on Sunday which throws a kink in scheduling them

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 04:11 PM
you're in bama & haven't heard of memphis.

I hadn't heard of them as an option for the conference. I know all about Memphis.

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 04:13 PM
No. nonononononononononononononononNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO

Did I say "no" enough? Their fans travel well but are very rude and abusive. If you think Tech is bad, you haven't seen anything. If you think LSU fans at the Sugar Bowl in 2003/04 were bad, you haven't seen anything. If you thought UCLA or Oregon fans were bad on the away half of our home-and-homes with them, still, nothing compared to the potty mouths of Camp Randall Stadium.

Every fanbase has good fans, and Wisconsin definitely has some good, fun fans. Every fanbase has bad fans, OU included. But Wisconsin has more - FAR more, than anyone else I've ever witnessed.

I have not witnessed Penn State. I think they might be worse, but not sure.

I rememeber watching the Ohio State-Wisconsin game this year. Theie fans are ruthless and angry.

badger
5/9/2011, 04:15 PM

(smacks head) of course. Sorry. I wasn't thinking in terms of Latter-Day, just in terms of Satur-Day. ;)

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 04:18 PM
(smacks head) of course. Sorry. I wasn't thinking in terms of Latter-Day, just in terms of Satur-Day. ;)

Good One! :D

LakeRat
5/9/2011, 04:49 PM
I have always wondered why Boise wasn't in the list. Everyone is worried about market. I don't get that. Norman and OKC isn't that large, but when you are a winner, people will watch. You can't tell me that Boise and OU this year wouldn't be a National Broadcast game. OU does this on their own with a decent team fielded against them.

But also you can't tell me OSU Boise wouldn't be broadcast. Those are two second tier programs with not much of a fanbase. But the game would be some pretty solid football. Therefore I can't see it not broadcast on national tv.

Salt City Sooner
5/9/2011, 04:57 PM
Can't believe Louisville hasn't been mentioned yet. Solid football program (latter Kragthorpe years not withstanding), & both the men's & women's hoop teams are very good. I know the Big East is an elite hoop conference, but re-alignment is 99% about football, & that's edge B12. They'd also bring in a new market.

bluedogok
5/9/2011, 05:40 PM
They have seemed to be able to work around it fine in their previous conferences. It wouldn't be that difficult to schedule around Sundays, most sports don't play on Sunday that often except for baseball/softball.

TV market size and football are the driving force behind conference realignments, right now it doesn't matter to advertisers if people in those large markets are really watching the games when it comes time to sell ad time.

TIMB0B
5/9/2011, 09:37 PM
I don't know why everybody is automatically saying that ND would say no.... Not if you have any understanding of their situation.

They kept turning down the Big 10 for the SOLE reason that they wouldn't let ND keep their own tv money they were getting from NBC. The conferece wanted them to split it all with the rest of the conference.

The new big 12 has shown they are the opposite... in fact, the reason texas and OU are still in the big 12 is because the conference said that if they stayed they can keep all their revenue from their own networks/tv deals.

So, in my opinion, the big 12 would the be main target for ND if they truly desired a conference affiliation.
This.

WA. Sooner
5/10/2011, 12:58 AM
Colorado State and Utah. Get some tvs back

WA. Sooner
5/10/2011, 12:58 AM
That is also why we don't need anymore Texas schools.

Big D Sooner
5/10/2011, 01:08 AM
Louisville and BYU.

MeMyself&Me
5/10/2011, 09:13 AM
There are sound financial reasons for Notre Dame to be in the Big 12. They don't really have a history of making decisions like that though so I don't think they'd join the Big 12. But I do think the Big 12 should try to make it happen. I think they should tell Notre Dame that they can join the Big 12 and bring in whatever other school Notre Dame wanted to bring with them. Wouldn't matter what that other school is, Notre Dame is a big enough fish to make up the difference if bringing in a dud. Tell Notre Dame that if turned down, the Big 12 will be going after Big East schools due to the size of the markets in the Big East. Knowing that the Big East might fail might pressure them to do something...

If Notre Dame joins the Big 12, then great. They get to be in a North division where they will likely be in the conference championship game most years. They get to have their own network deal like Tejas and OU. They get increased access to Tejas recruits. And they'll get a higher cut of the conference tv deals just like Tejas and OU. In return, the Big 12 will regain respect, legitimacy, a conference championship game, and bigger overall tv contracts.

If Notre Dame stays indy or joins any conference but the Big East, then the Big 12 should go after large markets in the Big East. Not a lot of great football there but there are large markets which means lots of tv sets which means larger TV contracts. I'm sure just about any Big East team that is offered would join the Big 12... the Big 12 is better than the Big East and has a strong hold on a major recruiting area. TCU is not an option though... we already have that market.

If Notre Dame responds by joining the Big East for football, those Big East schools might turn down the Big 12's offer. I even think it's fairly likely that the Big East would offer Notre Dame some sort of unequal revenue scheme and individual network deal like they would get in the Big 12 just to simply save their league. In any case, if this were to happen, the Big 12 would have to look elsewhere and I think that search would have to start with BYU. BYU has some baggage that would have to be dealt with in regards to their refusal to play on Sundays (an issue in other than football sports) but they are going to be the largest market that the Big 12 would likely be able to land at this point being that they will have a large national religious following like Notre Dame. I don't think they're big enough to say bring whoever else you want like I think you'd say to Notre Dame though and picking that second team will be difficult. There's not another realistic team out there that really adds a lot. Might have to be Colorado State or Air Force just to hit that magic 12 number and hope they add more than they take.

If the Big 12 can't manage any of that, they might as well stay pat at 10 and hope for the best.

PalmBeachSooner
5/10/2011, 02:52 PM
Look at this picture and tell me you don't want them as a future conference rival.

http://publish.netitor.com/photos/schools/mwc/sports/c-swim/02-03action/a-team_men-byu-022203.jpg

COUGARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They might be a future opponent but never a rival.

SoonerofAlabama
5/10/2011, 11:35 PM
What could be a good new conference name? Asked about this on another thread.