PDA

View Full Version : No-Huddle Offense

SoonerofAlabama
5/8/2011, 05:21 PM
We all know that since the Sooners have switched to a no-huddle offensive set, our Sooners have been the top dogs of plays ran each season. We had an average of around 90 plays ran a game, even though we slow it up when we have a lead late in the game. What game was it that we started running it, though?

Osama Bin Laden
5/8/2011, 05:42 PM
I believe it was the bowl game after the 2006 season we first saw it. Can't remember which one that was though...

Sooner_Tuf
5/8/2011, 06:50 PM
We began the 2008 season with it.

goingoneight
5/8/2011, 06:57 PM
UT-Chatanooga, 2008.

TheLadiesMike
5/8/2011, 07:43 PM
I also think the 2008 fall camp is when Stoops closed practices. I distinctly remember Sittler saying it was believed Stoops made the decision because the team was struggling to learn the no-huddle offense.

goingoneight
5/8/2011, 09:58 PM
I'm not sure about that. They had the 2005 practices off limits, too. I remember all the radio "know it alls" saying it was because we weren't focused and Stoops was "afraid" of everything under the sun.
It's just flat out smart to keep the media and people away from the team when you're working on building a team. Last thing he wants is a bunch of camera whores playing more for the exposure than the team. Now, especially it's smarter since social media dominates college football. Kenny Stills suffered a groin injury last fall and everyone knew about it online before his family did.

SoonerofAlabama
5/8/2011, 10:10 PM
I'm not sure about that. They had the 2005 practices off limits, too. I remember all the radio "know it alls" saying it was because we weren't focused and Stoops was "afraid" of everything under the sun.
It's just flat out smart to keep the media and people away from the team when you're working on building a team. Last thing he wants is a bunch of camera whores playing more for the exposure than the team. Now, especially it's smarter since social media dominates college football. Kenny Stills suffered a groin injury last fall and everyone knew about it online before his family did.

I agree about the media blackout with OU being a good idea during that moment, but during football season it might help to have a few press there to get us coverage for all the voters in the BCS.

BoulderSooner79
5/8/2011, 11:31 PM
As noted, we started running it at the beginning of the '08 season. That included spring camp in '08 when it was not a smashing success. I was skeptical myself given we were pretty darn good on offense in '07 and should only get better (why mess with a good thing?). Obviously, I was wrong as we had the perfect bunch to run it in '08. I not so sure it's been a big win since then and I do think it will run it's course as a bit of a fad. Time will tell.

85sooners
5/9/2011, 02:28 AM
Stoops knows best

StoopTroup
5/9/2011, 02:37 AM
Amen.

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 07:24 AM
I agree about the media blackout with OU being a good idea during that moment, but during football season it might help to have a few press there to get us coverage for all the voters in the BCS.

Yep, lotsa bcs voters have never heard of OU.

Doged
5/9/2011, 07:53 AM
As noted, we started running it at the beginning of the '08 season. That included spring camp in '08 when it was not a smashing success. I was skeptical myself given we were pretty darn good on offense in '07 and should only get better (why mess with a good thing?). Obviously, I was wrong as we had the perfect bunch to run it in '08. I not so sure it's been a big win since then and I do think it will run it's course as a bit of a fad. Time will tell.

I'm not so sure it'll go away anytime soon. More plays on offense is pretty much always going to be a good thing, particularly when the rest of the game plan is built around it.

BoulderSooner79
5/9/2011, 09:25 AM
I'm not so sure it'll go away anytime soon. More plays on offense is pretty much always going to be a good thing, particularly when the rest of the game plan is built around it.

I'm not sure either and it certainly won't go away while LJ is playing. I'm just mean that coaches adjust and now many teams in the conference are doing it. More plays on offense also means the other guy gets more plays too, so it comes back to who is deeper on defense.

texaspokieokie
5/9/2011, 09:32 AM
i don't like it.
jmho

LakeRat
5/10/2011, 12:57 PM
It would be fun to go to the no-huddle wishbone.

Sooners78
5/11/2011, 08:50 AM
Love the no huddle. And, it has only gotten better. We definitely got our plays off quicker in 2010 compared to 2009. With Josh at the helm, it will get even better. With LJ, Ryan, Stills, Miller, and most of OL returning along with some great RBs, I can't wait.

Boomer38Sooner
5/11/2011, 09:32 AM
Stoops for President.

BoulderSooner79
5/11/2011, 09:50 AM
Love the no huddle. And, it has only gotten better. We definitely got our plays off quicker in 2010 compared to 2009. With Josh at the helm, it will get even better. With LJ, Ryan, Stills, Miller, and most of OL returning along with some great RBs, I can't wait.

If getting the plays off quicker is the goal, then clearly the no huddle is the only way to fly. But I assume the goal is to give us an advantage that results in winning more games than if we huddled. There are definite tradeoffs. For example, it stops the defense from substituting but it effectively stops the offense from substituting as well. It also takes away the surprise of the quick snap - we can't get the same effect of calling 2 different plays at once in the huddle and then running them in rapid succession. In '09 I think the no huddle hurt us, but since it was a rebuilding year, the longer term learning process was probably more important. I still believe it will die out in the long run or become part of a hybrid system.

Sooners78
5/11/2011, 10:04 AM
If getting the plays off quicker is the goal, then clearly the no huddle is the only way to fly. But I assume the goal is to give us an advantage that results in winning more games than if we huddled. There are definite tradeoffs. For example, it stops the defense from substituting but it effectively stops the offense from substituting as well. It also takes away the surprise of the quick snap - we can't get the same effect of calling 2 different plays at once in the huddle and then running them in rapid succession. In '09 I think the no huddle hurt us, but since it was a rebuilding year, the longer term learning process was probably more important. I still believe it will die out in the long run or become part of a hybrid system.

If we had continued running it in the Orange Bowl, we win #8. It's that simple. Florida defense was back on it's heels and couldn't stop us in the 2nd.
Maybe KB just didn't have enough confidence that it would work the entire night against a defense like Florida. I don't think Josh will have that problem.

Sooners78
5/11/2011, 10:07 AM

I think having players with experience in the system, especially LJ, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.