PDA

View Full Version : Updated Big12 standings

Sooner95
5/8/2011, 04:41 PM
down the stretch! Conf record and remaining Conf games.

TX - 17-7 - 3 left
AM - 15-6 - 6 left
OU - 13-9 - 3 left
OSU -12-8 - 6 left
BU - 9-12 - 6 left
TT - 9-12 - 6 left
MU - 8-12 - 6 left
KSU - 9-14 - 3 left

------Big12 Tourney cutoff------

NU - 7-13 - 6 left
KU - 9-15 - 3 left

Collier11
5/8/2011, 05:35 PM
who does ut have left, I highly doubt they get swept but it sure would be Neat O

Sooner95
5/8/2011, 06:04 PM
TX has a series remaining against A&M

Ardmore_Sooner
5/8/2011, 06:11 PM
They play A&M

Collier11
5/8/2011, 09:43 PM
best we can do is 2nd then

ouboomer1
5/9/2011, 08:43 AM
although techincally OU is still in 4th place by win % and has no series wins against the top 3...Have to sweep Baylor in Waco, and get lots of help from Nebraska vs A&M, Baylor vs OsU, and Texas Tech vs OsU in hopes to get to 3rd or better

rysooner
5/9/2011, 10:45 AM
although techincally OU is still in 4th place by win % and has no series wins against the top 3...Have to sweep Baylor in Waco, and get lots of help from Nebraska vs A&M, Baylor vs OsU, and Texas Tech vs OsU in hopes to get to 3rd or better

I'm confused....I saw on another thread that standings were based on the win column and then goes to a tie breaker after that. I thought the percentage points were the first qualifer and then it went to a tie breaker if the winning percentage was the same. Of course, I've been known to be wrong before.... :D

IndySooner
5/9/2011, 01:36 PM
I was wrong before. It's definitely based on winning percentage, which is asinine:

The eight teams with the best conference records (based on winning percentage) in
regular season competition will qualify for the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship -- a
two-division, double-elimination format.
In the event of a tie or ties in the standings, the following tie-breaking system will be
implemented.
(a) If two teams are tied, head-to-head competition will be used to break a tie.
(b) If two teams remain tied, the winner of the first game of the Conference series
between the two tied teams will be used.
(c ) If two teams remain tied, there will be a comparison of the records of the tied
teams against the highest place team(s) in descending order from top to bottom until
the tie is broken; or,
(d) If two teams remain tied, there will be a drawing to determine the seed or
qualification for the tournament;
(e) If three or more teams are tied, there will be a comparison of head-to-head
records in a ‘mini round-robin’ of tied teams, followed by steps (a), (b), (c), and (d).
Once a team has been eliminated from a multi-team comparison, it is dropped from
further comparisons.
The Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship winner earns the Big 12’s automatic berth into
the NCAA Championship field. If the championship is terminated before completion,
then the league’s regular season champion (No. 1-seeded team for the championship),
will serve as the Conference’s automatic qualifier to the NCAA Tournament.

TumbleweedDoom
5/9/2011, 02:06 PM
Not asinine at all -- it's the only way you can do it, if you're in a league that doesn't mandate makeup games.

IndySooner
5/9/2011, 03:15 PM
I think it's crazy. If you look at the standings, you're tied. You're not separated by 1/2 game. You're tied. But, it is what it is.

IndySooner
5/9/2011, 03:17 PM
That said, in this case, it doesn't matter anyway. We would lose a tiebreaker to them no matter what, so we need to finish a game ahead of them.

rysooner
5/9/2011, 03:32 PM
That said, in this case, it doesn't matter anyway. We would lose a tiebreaker to them no matter what, so we need to finish a game ahead of them.

Which takes us right back to two innings in the series....win those two innings and we sweep the series, thus putting us ahead of them.

IndySooner
5/9/2011, 03:34 PM
Which takes us right back to two innings in the series....win those two innings and we sweep the series, thus putting us ahead of them.

You had to go back to those two innings, didn't you?

Actually, if you go back to those two innings and we sweep, we're not talking about a regional host, we're fighting for a national seed. That's how freaking big those two innings were.

rysooner
5/9/2011, 03:36 PM
You had to go back to those two innings, didn't you?

Actually, if you go back to those two innings and we sweep, we're not talking about a regional host, we're fighting for a national seed. That's how freaking big those two innings were.

Yep, and you can also look at one inning on Saturday against the 'Horns...

jadubya
5/9/2011, 03:55 PM
Yep, and you can also look at one inning on Saturday against the 'Horns...

Haha...well....Sherman....set the wayback machine for:

1. Missed tag at Mizzou.....
2. ASU middle inning debacle
3. KState inning of death....

Honestly, we should have (2) w's from OkieState (1) w from Mizzou, at least another (1) w from KState, and (1) w from ASU.

That is before we even approach Texas & Aggy series.

We should be 40-8 without any stretch of the imagination....at all. Solid top 4 ranking....and high likelihood of finishing with 50 wins before regional selection. Ugh. We're givers.

bcolston15
5/9/2011, 04:00 PM
We lost the games we lost. I don't think it's fair to go back and say we should've won. However, it's pretty frustrating that we missed out on playing Nebraska and Missouri two more times.

Two more W's in the win column would be nice right about now...

rysooner
5/9/2011, 04:09 PM
We lost the games we lost. I don't think it's fair to go back and say we should've won. However, it's pretty frustrating that we missed out on playing Nebraska and Missouri two more times.

Two more W's in the win column would be nice right about now...

Yep, that's fair, I was just really trying to gig Indy :P

You're also right, the weathered out games would make a huge difference. But, as you said, nothing we can do about them now. Just have to finish really strong, and we've got a good start to do that.