5/8/2011, 12:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6507130

I thought he went to Mizzou?

cdlbdd
5/8/2011, 12:10 PM
nope, he went to Duke.

badger
5/8/2011, 01:04 PM
Duke has hired former player and ex-Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel as an assistant and named Nate James a special assistant

Felton J. Capel's not special, I guess :P

yankee
5/8/2011, 05:56 PM
He is also back on twitter and tweeting with a vengeance.

But all in all, congrats to Capel if this is the next step he wanted to take. I really do want to see the man succeed, unlike some people.

badger
5/8/2011, 07:58 PM
He is also back on twitter and tweeting with a vengeance.

But all in all, congrats to Capel if this is the next step he wanted to take. I really do want to see the man succeed, unlike some people.

Congrats to my guy, Blake Griffin on being named ROY!!! Everything we talked about during the recruiting process is happening!

You mean everything his big brother Taylor said during the recruiting process, don't you?

And yes, I noticed that his first tweet in months was after Osama's death. Interesting... but whatever. Have fun at doooook.

SoonerofAlabama
5/8/2011, 09:56 PM
What do you all think of Capel? Still like him or never did? In my opinion, he was never an amazing coach. He got very skilled talent that was very loyal to the University of Oklahoma. I don't mean to be harsh, just wondering.

the-rover
5/9/2011, 08:20 AM
This clown actually gives Capel credit for bringing in Blake.....as if he wasn't going to be a Sooner no matter who the coach was.

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/29151178

Jeff Capel won't be unemployed for long.

The recently fired Oklahoma coach will, barring a change of plans, join Mike Krzyzewski's staff at Duke as a full-time assistant in time for next season, multiple sources have told CBSSports.com. One of the sources added that current Blue Devil assistant Nate James is expected to be reassigned, meaning Krzyzewski's staff will consist of Chris Collins, Steve Wojciechowski and Capel.

Capel is a former Duke player who coached Oklahoma the past five seasons. The 36 year-old North Carolina native is responsible for luring Blake Griffin into the OU program and taking the Sooners to the Elite Eight in 2009. He was fired after last season when OU finished 5-11 in the Big 12.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/9/2011, 08:37 AM
BOOMER KRUGER! :D

badger
5/9/2011, 11:21 AM
What do you all think of Capel? Still like him or never did? In my opinion, he was never an amazing coach. He got very skilled talent that was very loyal to the University of Oklahoma. I don't mean to be harsh, just wondering.

The e-mails that somebody open records requested on from the Elite Eight season were very telling, that Capel was a paycheck collecting, hands-off coach that was e-mailing his assistants about issues instead of handling them in person... or handling them personally.

Seeing Lon work his arse off for this pay raise we gave him compared to his UNLV compensation makes me wonder what Capel would do with an extra $500k added to his existing pay check, and then, I realized that was exactly what we gave him after the Elite Eight season... and he did nothing with it except be even more standoffish from fans.

And so, with somewhat of a disgusted look on my face thinking about everything the guy did wrong, but not completely repulsed because he's young and will hopefully learn from all of the mistakes he made at OU's expense, I call him by his real name, also revealed in open records requests: "Felton J. Capel," because like I couldn't believe how much of a hands-off manager of a big-time program he was at OU, I couldn't believe "Felton" was his legal name.

But it is. He is Felton. Have fun at Dooooook, Felton :D

badger
5/9/2011, 11:33 AM
It's not fair for me to say stuff without citing stuff. Here:

March 20, 2010, Capel sent an email to his staff saying: "As you know, this program is in a very bad place right now. We have made many mistakes in recruiting, and it showed its head this season in many ways. We have had so much turnover since we have been here that it left (us) in a position where we really did not have any upperclassmen. Now, we will lose many guys from this year's team, and recruiting is not going as I anticipated.

"Also, how our guys conduct themselves when they get here, our reputation on campus, and in the community has taken a severe hit...

"Joe (Castiglione) is very concerned with the state of the program right now. He talked to me for 25 minutes after the game in the Big 12 Tournament, and we met again last Friday. I am scheduled to meet with him again sometime before the Final Four."

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110315_92_B1_CUTLIN869589)

From the same article:

In an email from February of '09 to his staff, Capel addressed Juan Pattillo's dissatisfaction with playing time specifically. More to the general mood at the time, Capel wrote: "We are 25-1, 11-0 in the conference and ranked #2 in the country. That's a long way from our first year here. For the life of me, I cannot understand why we are not able to enjoy it...

"At the beginning of the year, I assigned each of you guys (a player) to meet with and talk to. How many of you still do that? I asked that you meet with them somewhere away from the court. Perhaps you could cut this stuff, or get an idea of what is going on with some of these guys before the situation gets out of hand."

Ugggggghhhhhhhhh. I want to go hug Lon again. Actually, I haven't had the opportunity to hug Lon yet. Will someone please give him a Saban-like hug/kiss for me next time they see him if I don't get to hug him first? Just like in this picture, plz:

http://i10.tinypic.com/357rio7.jpg

Taxman71
5/9/2011, 12:41 PM
I've always liked Capel, but those emails reveal someone who manages from a Blackberry instead of face-to-face to avoid confrontation.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/9/2011, 12:51 PM
I was one of the last 5 supporters of "Felton" here on this board. Now, I just sit back and wonder "why?"

badger
5/9/2011, 01:11 PM
I was one of the last 5 supporters of "Felton" here on this board. Now, I just sit back and wonder "why?"

For awhile, I let NP's hatred of everything "jeff" (this was before i started calling him "felton," hehe) get to me. The underachieving, the NCAA investigating, the recruiting... and then, the group started winning surprisingly this season and there was suddenly HOPE?!?!?! Hope that this group of misfit Sooners that might not get recruited to play big time D-1 ball anywhere else could actually get to the postseason?

Then, fail fail fail, crash crash crash, and everything that I had heard as rumors alone - the standoffish handoffish nature of his coaching tenture - were confirmed after the firing.

My guess is that like me, you saw the rising star that played the crowd well when he came to OU with a pep band and the current players sitting there, including Kellen Sampson, ready to support the new guy. You took stuff that was contrary to that as just rumor and speculation. After all, Elite Eight! Blake Griffin! He's young, he'll get it together.

After reading the e-mails, I thought about the rumors that he didn't give his cell phone number out to practically anyone, that he was the only top program coach to not show up the time NP and I went to Tulsa's OU Caravan (although I heard that was for a family emergency), that I didn't see him (or read about him or hear about him) making voluntary extra appearances for fans, or for the children's hospital, or leading volunteer work for his players in the community that you see Sherri and Bob do without hesitation.

And then I felt cheated, knowing that we were paying this guy $1.5 million to seemingly do an 8-5 shift, where he goes to work and doesn't put in any additional time or effort to doing a better job than his peers. Just the required crap - token video appearances to play at Owen Field, be seen on the sidelines at a football game or two - then go home to wife and kids and ignore the fact that you're a $1.5 million annually paid public university big-time program coach with thousands of fans, alumni and Oklahomans depending on you to be the face of our beloved basketball program.

enjoy your $2.1 million buyout, Felton. You didn't seem to earn a penny of it. :(

EDIT: I wish i didn't feel so bitter about this. I know there are more important things in life than sports, but dang it, we gave him a whopping pay raise while OU raised its tuition in the middle of a recession. Please, someone give me a reason to not feel bitter.

Jason Alexander
5/9/2011, 06:13 PM
Ugggggghhhhhhhhh. I want to go hug Lon again. Actually, I haven't had the opportunity to hug Lon yet. Will someone please give him a Saban-like hug/kiss for me next time they see him if I don't get to hug him first?
I dont know about hugging/kissing him, but he has a nice, firm handshake.

badger
5/10/2011, 10:21 AM

Another thing that I didn't mention that NP reminded me of was that Felton J. also had the fifth-highest recruiting budget in the country... and we have all seen the results.

Link (http://www.cardchronicle.com/2011/3/25/2072515/louisville-recruiting-budget-ranks-among-top-10-nationally-1-in-big)

This of course does not include private university programs that don't have to disclose numbers. This also does not include non-BCS conference schools, like Lonster Monster's former school, UNLV (I think they're MWC)

1. Kentucky -- $434,095

2. Kansas -- $419,228

3. Florida -- $326,306

4. Arkansas -- $322,517

5. Oklahoma -- $316,755

I have a hard time picturing a coach that makes $1.5 million annually e-mailing his assistants instructions and blowing the fifth-highest recruiting budget among the biggest public schools in the biggest conferences and only having Goff to show for it.

Goff. Robert Goff.

Regardless of whether he was going to qualify academically or not, he has already been released of his LOI.

I somehow think that using $316k to bring in a single juco, questionable academic-wise recruit that then gets out of his LOI should be an NCAA violation or something :eek:

87sooner
5/10/2011, 02:24 PM
i'm so happy he's gone.

badger
5/10/2011, 02:46 PM
Not to keep beating the dead horse, but won't going back to Duke only make him suck worse? I mean, he was finally learning about the real world of college basketball away from cushy, happy, fanatical blue chip magnet Duke. He learned that fans typically don't show up for mid-minor non-conference nosebleed cupcake games. He learned that virtually everything is public record at public universities. He learned that recruits will have a relative impersonate them on the phone as he's begging them to stay at his school while his wife is in tears for him, seeing his strained efforts... over the phone strained, but still.

And now, back at happy happy Duke, Felton J. will go back to believing that 5-star recruits will beg to come to your school, will love to play in a cramped, aged arena and an away-from-campus practice facility, your students will camp out for basketball in crappy tents and donors will beg you to take their money.

At least when Quin got fired from Mizzou, he didn't go back to the make believe world --- he went to the NBDL!

soonerbub
5/10/2011, 05:45 PM
He's a Dookie--gotta get back to his roots.

I just hope we deduct the buyout $ from his Dookie money

My opine is that he thought he could meld guys like TMG & WW & Tiny into a cohesive unit then once that failed he continued to let them run the squad instead of taking the reins.

I still think he will be a successful head coach in the next 15 years and still am not sold on Coach Lon--gimme til Christmas on that

LiveLaughLove
5/10/2011, 07:20 PM
I wish him well at Duke.

I don't know the guy, so I can't say if I like him as a person.

I disliked him immensely as a head coach almost from day one. When word got out that Georgia Tech wanted him, I was praying he would go. I was very unhappy that Joe gave him a huge pay raise.

I think he can become a good head coach, but it certainly isn't a guarantee that he will.

Lon is showing us what a head coach should be like during the off season.

He will show us what a head coach is like during a season too (this is not a prediction that we will be great next year, but we will be well coached).

So Jeff or Felton is in the rear view mirror, Thank You Lord!

Eielson
5/11/2011, 08:30 AM
He has great success and everybody goes overboard with the love. He has some disappointing seasons and everybody goes overboad with the hate.

NormanPride
5/11/2011, 10:41 AM
It's not just the record number of embarrassing losses, Eilson. It's the total lack of control of his program, the NCAA trouble, the backwards steps he took in the community and the complete inability to recruit. All of these together is why we are bitter about Mr. Capel.

I mean, the fifth highest recruiting budget, and all we can get is a guy that didn't qualify in a year where just about anyone could come in and play right away. That's bordering on criminal.

badger
5/11/2011, 10:44 AM
He has great success and everybody goes overboard with the love. He has some disappointing seasons and everybody goes overboad with the hate.

Weeeeelll, yknow, we Sooner welcome new people in with open arms. It takes extreme wrongities to get on our bad side:

1- Burning the color orange.
2- Brightening the color orange.
3- Extreme incompetence involving NCAA investigations, lack of recruiting, winning, community involvement, program control and a hefty salary to top it all off.

See? Only three things in the whole world make Sooners angry, and Felton J. just had to go and do one of them, didn't he? ;)

Eielson
5/11/2011, 06:23 PM
I mean, the fifth highest recruiting budget, and all we can get is a guy that didn't qualify in a year where just about anyone could come in and play right away. That's bordering on criminal.

It's easy to make somebody look bad when you only use a snapshot. In just a few years he brought in 4 McDonald's All-Americans, one of which was an all-time great, and a few other players like Cameron Clark. Even with the disappointing recruiting in his final season (which he admitted), he still left the program with more talent than when he took over. There are a handful of things that Capel did that can be criticized, but recruiting isn't one of them. Well...outside of the possible violations that is.

yankee
5/11/2011, 09:43 PM
It's not just the record number of embarrassing losses, Eilson. It's the total lack of control of his program, the NCAA trouble, the backwards steps he took in the community and the complete inability to recruit. All of these together is why we are bitter about Mr. Capel.

Seriously, we f'n get it. You don't like Jeff Capel or what he did to OU basketball. Neither does your wife. Can we move on? We've gone over this same subject over, and over, and over, and over again. We've got a clean slate with a great coach and people are excited for OU basketball again. Let's let Jeff do his thing over at Dook and let Coach K worry about him.

badger
5/11/2011, 10:56 PM
You're right. I am very much looking forward to the future of OU basketball. Let's let Texas A&M worry about how their previous coach left town, not us :P

birddog
5/16/2011, 06:26 PM

did you get movement?

Mad Dog Madsen
5/17/2011, 04:39 PM
Seriously, we f'n get it. You don't like Jeff Capel or what he did to OU basketball. Neither does your wife. Can we move on?

Whoa...

http://rlv.zcache.com/80s_catch_phase_take_a_chill_pill_on_a_sticker_bum per_sticker-p128274349374258152trl0_400.jpg

stoopified
5/17/2011, 06:57 PM
Seriously, we f'n get it. You don't like Jeff Capel or what he did to OU basketball. Neither does your wife. Can we move on? We've gone over this same subject over, and over, and over, and over again. We've got a clean slate with a great coach and people are excited for OU basketball again. Let's let Jeff do his thing over at Dook and let Coach K worry about him.True dat

yankee
5/17/2011, 09:31 PM
Whoa...

http://rlv.zcache.com/80s_catch_phase_take_a_chill_pill_on_a_sticker_bum per_sticker-p128274349374258152trl0_400.jpg

Take that pill and shove it up your ***! :P

Mad Dog Madsen
5/18/2011, 09:41 AM
^^^That was uncalled for... :rolleyes:

badger
5/18/2011, 12:35 PM
I already agreed to drop it. Why can't you all :P

And once again, LOL at Texas A&M. Billy Kennedy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6553151), huh?

"I can't wait to get back to Aggieland," Kennedy, a former assistant at A&M, said in a statement. "Even though I was there for only a short time, I could tell Aggieland is a special place. Aggies have great pride and passion for their school and their athletic programs. I have watched with interest the recent success and the NCAA Tournament appearances the past six years. I look forward to meeting the team and working toward a seventh NCAA bid as well as even deeper tournament runs."

Our hire > Their hire. :rcmad:

Mad Dog Madsen
5/18/2011, 04:52 PM
Kinda looks like badger made this... :D

http://www.inlandiapress.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/capel.jpg

badger
5/18/2011, 05:53 PM

All right, I loved Capel and adored Capel and was very welcoming of everything Capel and tried to minimize the complaining I heard with Capel for much of his tenure. The moment my feelings stopped was when I felt like he was cheating OU by continuing to accept a big paycheck (which I know we didn't hold him to the fire to sign) but not putting in the time and effort coaching wise, recruiting wise, community wise, fanbase wise.

Hell hath no fury and stuff. Wish him the best though. We'll pay his astronomical buyout and be done with him.

Love you Lon :)

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 10:25 AM

I think he might finally get the help he needs to make himself a really good Coach.

StoopTroup
5/22/2011, 10:32 AM
Please, someone give me a reason to not feel bitter.

Badg....

There isn't one...

He rolled us like bums....

SoonerofAlabama
5/22/2011, 10:51 AM

I think badger does better work than that.