PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the movie Leaves of Grass?

achiro
5/8/2011, 10:53 AM
Found it on Netflix the other day and in the description it mentioned his character being from Oklahoma so I decided to check it out. I'm not sure if it is even considered a comedy but I laughed out loud several times. Ed Norton nails the redneck Okie drug dealer part.:D Worth checking out if you get a chance.

madmartigan
5/8/2011, 11:07 AM
i actually just ran across this on netflix as well and watched it friday night.
it was an okay movie, but i liked it more than i would have, being from the tulsa area and all. it is funny to see how oklahoma is still perceived. like when norton is being interviewed by those two guys and they ask "where is your accent" and he explained that it took a lot of hard work to get rid of it.

as a bonus, i was driving through tulsa a few years ago and a big area around riverside had been shut down and there were cops all over. at the time i was really pissed off because i had to drive an extra half hour or so out of my way. then found out later that day it was because they were filming a movie with edward norton and the guy from oh brother where art though haha.

proud gonzo
5/8/2011, 12:16 PM
...I'm guessing this movie has nothing to do with Walt Whitman.

ok, after looking it up, you're talking about Tim Blake Nelson, who is FROM Tulsa, Oklahoma. So this sounds pretty cool, because Nelson wrote and directed the film.

GDC
5/8/2011, 01:28 PM
i actually just ran across this on netflix as well and watched it friday night.
it was an okay movie, but i liked it more than i would have, being from the tulsa area and all. it is funny to see how oklahoma is still perceived. like when norton is being interviewed by those two guys and they ask "where is your accent" and he explained that it took a lot of hard work to get rid of it.

as a bonus, i was driving through tulsa a few years ago and a big area around riverside had been shut down and there were cops all over. at the time i was really pissed off because i had to drive an extra half hour or so out of my way. then found out later that day it was because they were filming a movie with edward norton and the guy from oh brother where art though haha.

It says it was filmed in Shreveport.

Norton's accent was ridiculous, I've never met an Okie who sounded like him.

Decent movie overall, though.

StoopTroup
5/8/2011, 02:11 PM
I enjoyed it very much. I've got the book on my reading list.

I was thinking a made a post about this Movie.

Found it....11/5/2010

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147065&highlight=ed+norton

SunnySooner
5/8/2011, 02:16 PM
I enjoyed it as well, I grew up just north of Little Dixie, still in Mike Synar's old congressional district, and the accent was exaggerated, too nasal, but folks there are definitely twangy. I've moved around so much, I've lost some of mine, it gets thicker when I'm home or on the phone to my parents, totally subconsciously. My old roommate said she could always tell when I was on the phone to my Mom, I sounded like a total redneck, lol.

madmartigan
5/8/2011, 02:22 PM
It says it was filmed in Shreveport.

Norton's accent was ridiculous, I've never met an Okie who sounded like him.

Decent movie overall, though.

you are right. i could have sworn i saw in the tulsa world that they were filming there. maybe they were location scouting or something? anyway, i'll see if i can find the article.

StoopTroup
5/8/2011, 03:14 PM
When Movies that are about Tulsa are filmed in Tulsa.....they do pretty good. When movies about Tulsa aren't filmed in Tulsa....they look like this film.

I still like the premise and the attempt to do the movie....but it could have been much better.

StoopTroup
5/8/2011, 03:16 PM
I enjoyed it as well, I grew up just north of Little Dixie, still in Mike Synar's old congressional district, and the accent was exaggerated, too nasal, but folks there are definitely twangy. I've moved around so much, I've lost some of mine, it gets thicker when I'm home or on the phone to my parents, totally subconsciously. My old roommate said she could always tell when I was on the phone to my Mom, I sounded like a total redneck, lol.

The amount of folks I've met in Florida that were Rednecks....I think sometimes there are more rednecks in Florida than Oklahoma.

Sooner_Tuf
5/8/2011, 03:21 PM
While not a great movie I enjoyed it. I laughed really hard at the first of the movie when Edward Norton is explaining to his secretary that his brother had been killed with a crossbow.

StoopTroup
5/8/2011, 03:25 PM
That Crossbow murder was all over the news when I was a kid.

Crossbow Murder Appeal Rejected

By Jim Myers
Published: 12/7/1993
Last Modified: 8/16/2008 4:17 AM

WASHINGTON - Former Tulsa police officer Jimmie Dean Stohler,
now serving a life sentence for the crossbow murder of another
officer's former girlfriend, lost his latest appeal Monday
when the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear his case.
The refusal, issued without comment, closes another chapter
of one of Tulsa's most bizarre murders.
It has been more than a decade since Michele Rae Powers,
a 30-year-old respiratory therapist, was shot with a crossbow
bolt as she was leaving her apartment.
She died a few days later.
Powers was the former girlfriend of Officer Robert Doss
and the mother of Doss' small son.
She and Doss were fighting over the boy's custody, and accusations
of child abuse had been made against Powers.
Stohler and Doss, who were best friends, as well as a third
man, alleged to be the triggerman, were charged.
Stohler gave authorities a five-hour taped statement about
how he planned the murder and made arrangements for the
weapon and the triggerman, and he later testified at the
trial of the alleged triggerman.
Doss and the third man, however, were acquitted.
Stohler, already facing a prison sentence for conspiring
to kill Powers, later was convicted of first-degree murder
in 1985 and sentenced to life in prison.
More unusual aspects of the case developed when Stohler
accused his own attorney, Tom Gann, of becoming romantically
involved with Stohler's former wife.
Gann and the former Mrs. Stohler subsequently married, but
both deny that they became involved prior to Stohler's conviction.
In his latest appeal, Stohler, 39, claimed that Gann had
a conflict of interest when representing him. He cited a
lower court's criticism of Gann's lack of legal citations
in filing an earlier appeal.