PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Concern 2011?

SoonerofAlabama
5/8/2011, 12:13 AM
What would you say is our biggest problem to solve for next year?

I know the obvious statement is the running back position, but what I see is a group of very talented backs: (Brandon Williams, Roy Finch, Jermie Calhoun) that have a shot to take over games with their different versions of speed, strength, and athleticism. We also have Trey Millard at Fullback to block and run when necessary.

Could it be defense? There I see a group of excellent players in Travis Lewis, Corey Nelson, Ronnell Lewis, and Franklin Alexander in the front seven. Secondary: There are several playmakers here still. Jamell Fleming is still a possibilty along with Tony Jefferson, combined with big movers this spring make the secondary still dangerous.

Next choice: Offensive Line, I see four returning starters for the Sooners that our gaining confidence and have worked hard this offseason along with Lane Johnson, the converted Tight End. We are set at the receiver position, although early on there were some rumors of Stills being traded.

The tight end postion is loaded with talent because of Trent Ratteree and James Hanna, who combined for eight TDs last year.

Quarterback: Landry Jones. If he gets hurt we have a backup with at least some experience in Drew Allen.

Or could our biggest problem be pressure? All of this hype this post-season could make talented players cocky, which could make them have mental errors in very important situations. We do play other teams with rosters filled with talent, but could it be the Sooners that end up de-railing the Sooners next year?

Midtowner
5/8/2011, 12:22 AM
1. Offensive line (run blocking, specifically)
2. With Jefferson gone, the secondary will be thin.

oudavid1
5/8/2011, 12:31 AM
1. Offensive line (run blocking, specifically)
2. With Jefferson gone, the secondary will be thin.

When did Jefferson leave? Did i miss something? I think you mean Flemming.

Safety. We dont have supreme talent or real experience. I know people are excited about Colvin but he has to be bigger and hit well. Im not saying they are not good enough. Im saying that we have no reason to believe they are national championship solid. The game has change so much in the past 5 years. You have to have elite safeties that can make just the minimum great plays to keep your national title hopes alive. We saw it vs A&M and Missouri, we couldnt make the plays we needed to. Not to mention we have a second year secondary coach. I think Coach Martinez does a great job. But you still have to hope he is good enough. (Turns out to be a steal in all)

Second is pass rush. It may be good. But it has to be great. This i am less concerned about just because of depth and it is easier to mask (blitzes, fronts, stunts etc).

If these to issues are ok and ready to go, which we will find out in the first quarter against Tulsa, than we are all set and just need a little luck to set in.

Offense: nothing to worry about at all. Not even a new OC worries me. Kicking is way more of a concern than even right tackle.

85sooners
5/8/2011, 01:48 AM
Road games

VA Sooner
5/8/2011, 09:11 AM
Pass rush and corners. With Jefferson in the mix, they will be able to move him around to plug the holes if necessary but leaves our pass rush with the pressure. We'll see if the new DTs can do it... to create more havoc for the DEs to get through.

Season can't get here soon enough.

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/8/2011, 10:17 AM
Pass rush and corners. With Jefferson in the mix, they will be able to move him around to plug the holes if necessary but leaves our pass rush with the pressure. We'll see if the new DTs can do it... to create more havoc for the DEs to get through.

Season can't get here soon enough.

There is your answer

oudavid1
5/8/2011, 10:17 AM
I just recently learned it dosnt matter how good you are at corner. Oklahoama's last two top corners (that are on the team ) got moved to safety. Nelson and Colvin.

meoveryouxinfinity
5/8/2011, 10:40 AM
kicking, duh

SoonerofAlabama
5/8/2011, 10:42 AM
kicking, duh

We won't need kicking if we score every play.:D

sooner ngintunr
5/8/2011, 10:42 AM
Road games
yep.

JLEW1818
5/8/2011, 10:50 AM
I'm looking for more ball hawks.

JLEW1818
5/8/2011, 10:52 AM
People that need to step up, so others will step up... if the following 4 can make the move, i like our chances.

RJ Washington- still waiting to see you do something
Gabe Lynn- still waiting to see you do something
Jamarkus McFarland - you wear #97, let's go.
Josh Aladenoye - future Left Tackle

add more

Chiliman
5/8/2011, 11:18 AM
Kicking game (not punting). The return of Fleming and Box's health. Those two could be the difference in our defense being good or great, with their experience and play making abilities.

usaosooner
5/8/2011, 11:20 AM
DT. Everything else I am comfortable with

Dwight
5/8/2011, 11:52 AM
Secondary

Collier11
5/8/2011, 12:02 PM
finding Bin Laden

IronHorseSooner
5/8/2011, 12:07 PM
Bottom line is that while we do have questions, we have less than anybody else out there. We just notice these more because we follow the team so closely. For me (with caveats):

1. Developing a solid RB rotation: We have five talented backs (between RB & FB), and I bet we could use Musil as a short yardage guy.
2. Corner: Coach Stoops is satisfied with the position. That's good enough for me.
3. DT rotation: McFarland, McGee, and Walker are set. Last year, we were doomed more by the injury bug than anything else (Taylor, Walker, Noble, and Peterson), and had to play guys for extended minutes. This year, there are nine scholarship guys at DT, and the three mentioned first have all been starters. I am really interested to see what Phillips can do.
4. Kickoff coverage: I saved the worst to last. In 2008 and 2010, this cost us three of the four losses, and kept OSU in striking distance. We have WAY too many talented folks out there for this to happen. We will play teams this year who have dangerous kick returners (Johnson-Tulsa, Reid- FSU, Goodwin/Monroe- UTerus, Judie- A&M).

oudavid1
5/8/2011, 12:21 PM
People that need to step up, so others will step up... if the following 4 can make the move, i like our chances.

RJ Washington- still waiting to see you do something
Gabe Lynn- still waiting to see you do something
Jamarkus McFarland - you wear #97, let's go.
Josh Aladenoye - future Right Tackle

add more

FIFY

MyT Oklahoma
5/8/2011, 12:27 PM
Hmmmm.. probably getting tickets to the Mizzou and A & M games. :D

bixby28
5/8/2011, 12:41 PM
Run defense.

SoonerofAlabama
5/8/2011, 12:57 PM
Bottom line is that while we do have questions, we have less than anybody else out there. We just notice these more because we follow the team so closely. For me (with caveats):

1. Developing a solid RB rotation: We have five talented backs (between RB & FB), and I bet we could use Musil as a short yardage guy.
2. Corner: Coach Stoops is satisfied with the position. That's good enough for me.
3. DT rotation: McFarland, McGee, and Walker are set. Last year, we were doomed more by the injury bug than anything else (Taylor, Walker, Noble, and Peterson), and had to play guys for extended minutes. This year, there are nine scholarship guys at DT, and the three mentioned first have all been starters. I am really interested to see what Phillips can do.
4. Kickoff coverage: I saved the worst to last. In 2008 and 2010, this cost us three of the four losses, and kept OSU in striking distance. We have WAY too many talented folks out there for this to happen. We will play teams this year who have dangerous kick returners (Johnson-Tulsa, Reid- FSU, Goodwin/Monroe- UTerus, Judie- A&M).

Kickoff Coverage was the one that almost went without mentioning. I don't know what they have or can do to improve it, though.

Sooner_Tuf
5/8/2011, 02:53 PM
Kickoff Coverage was the one that almost went without mentioning. I don't know what they have or can do to improve it, though.

Teach them to stay in their lanes and tackle.

SoonerofAlabama
5/8/2011, 03:07 PM
Teach them to stay in their lanes and tackle.

It is hard to teach that becuase when a return man gets a bit of room the instinctual thing to do is to go straight towards him, but you have to train them to maintain the integrity of their lanes. Otherwise it is what happened against Missouri, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, and Connecticut all over again.:(

OUthunder
5/8/2011, 03:39 PM
Running game, kicking game, FSU so early in the year.

tfoolry
5/8/2011, 07:05 PM
Road games

At night.

Always_Sooner
5/8/2011, 07:26 PM
Runningback-experience will work it self out.

Secondary-consistency on the road.

Defensive Tackle- Need someone to step up and be an all conference guy. Could it be McFarland?

LostCreekSooner
5/8/2011, 07:38 PM
Defensive tackle. If that group steps up, we have a great chance at number 8!

PLaw
5/8/2011, 09:07 PM
1. DT

2. Field goal kicking

BOOMER

ratherthanlater
5/8/2011, 09:57 PM
1. With gas nearing $4/gal am I going to have to downgrade to Natty Lite?

2. My local grocery store stopped carrying the cambell's fiesta nacho soup mix I add to my rotel. What ever will I do?

3. DT

SoonerOX
5/9/2011, 08:17 AM
Run Defense
FSU- they are angry and playing at their house.

Ruf/Nek7
5/9/2011, 08:37 AM
Is "The Hammer" still being moved to DE? I don't see many issues at that position then. I say DT and possibly OL.

JLEW1818
5/9/2011, 09:05 AM
FIFY

for this year.. do you think he plays LT in down the road?

BoulderSooner79
5/9/2011, 09:19 AM
I worry most about the areas I have influence - so in order those are :

pweitkem
5/9/2011, 09:31 PM
Finishing strong. This team will come out of the gates with their hair on fire. Staying focused and closing the season seems to be a major issue. This team looks very much like OU 2003. How much would you like to see that team focused and ready for KSU and whoever they played after that game.... I can't remember, but that's not important now.

cdlbdd
5/9/2011, 09:50 PM
Finishing strong. This team will come out of the gates with their hair on fire. Staying focused and closing the season seems to be a major issue. This team looks very much like OU 2003. How much would you like to see that team focused and ready for KSU and whoever they played after that game.... I can't remember, but that's not important now.

it was LSU

soonerbrat
5/9/2011, 09:53 PM
What would you say is our biggest problem to solve for next year?

making sure I have tickets for all the games.

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 10:01 PM
We really don't know what this team looks like yet. It is yet to be seen.

SoonerObsession
5/9/2011, 10:39 PM
I love Josh Heupel, but we really don't know how he will do as OC.

NOVSooner
5/10/2011, 07:09 AM
overconfidence, entitlement, etc. we stay away from these and play hungry and i'll be happy.

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2011, 11:56 AM
I love Josh Heupel, but we really don't know how he will do as OC.

^This. Not a concern, but something I will watch with great interest.

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2011, 11:59 AM
overconfidence, entitlement, etc. we stay away from these and play hungry and i'll be happy.

I don't know what would be the basis of overconfidence. We had a nice year last year overall, but we were closer to losing more games (Cincy, OSU, NU) than we were to winning the 2 we lost. This team has plenty to prove.

NOVSooner
5/11/2011, 04:10 PM
I don't know what would be the basis of overconfidence. We had a nice year last year overall, but we were closer to losing more games (Cincy, OSU, NU) than we were to winning the 2 we lost. This team has plenty to prove.

i completely agree. i meant entitlement moreso than over confident. for the most part we are a young team and all that has been pumped to many of these younger ones is how good they are, #1 this/that, etc. it will take leadership to keep this team grounded, fortunately we have someone like stoops/venables and they have ones like t. lewis, broyles and f. alexander. to me, leadership (as with most anything) will be the key

Okie35
5/12/2011, 03:16 AM
Road games

That and interior defensive line. I really think the o-line will have their **** together this year.

SoonerofAlabama
5/16/2011, 06:56 AM
I expected a lot more to say kickoff coverage. I don't understand. What is the problem with Jimmy Stevens and Patrick O'Hara sharing the kicking duties?